You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish club managers thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 6:20am
Graham Stack the new goalkeeping coach at Cardiff city.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 1:09pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 1:42pm
The makings of a manager and no reference to his dad? Shoddy.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 3:44pm
This came up on autoplay on YouTube. Thought it was Nigel Worthington.

brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 4:01pm
Keith Long, Stephen Bradley
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 6:03pm

Aberdeen manager Jim Goodwin has been given a six-game touchline ban for his recent comments about Hibernian's Ryan Porteous "conning" referees.

Porteous won a penalty in Hibernian's 3-1 win over Aberdeen in September, with Liam Scales sent off after his challenge resulted in a second booking.

After that Scottish Premiership game, Goodwin said: "You are always worried who is marking Ryan Porteous because you know what he is like, he's won so many free-kicks and penalties for his conning of the referee."

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Aberdeen manager Jim Goodwin has been given a six-game touchline ban for his recent comments about Hibernian's Ryan Porteous "conning" referees.

Porteous won a penalty in Hibernian's 3-1 win over Aberdeen in September, with Liam Scales sent off after his challenge resulted in a second booking.

After that Scottish Premiership game, Goodwin said: "You are always worried who is marking Ryan Porteous because you know what he is like, he's won so many free-kicks and penalties for his conning of the referee."

Because comments like this, par for the course in re: to poor officiating from referees, must be dealt with more strongly than sectarian/racist abuse. Scotland, the bizarro world of football yet again.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 12:17pm
Graham Coughlan is the new manager at League 2 Newport County.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 7:56pm
The Athletic have done an interview with Brian McDermott where he speaks about his football, coaching and managerial career and an addiction to alcohol. 

He has always spoken about his dream of managing Ireland (which seems much further away than it did 10 odd years ago) and he re-iterates his Irishness in the piece:

It was exacerbated, he feels, by a crisis of identity. Both his parents were Irish and he felt 100 per cent Irish — and still does — yet he felt pressurised to commit to his native England at under-18 level and regretted it immediately. He says it left him with a “lack of identity” and became a bigger issue in his mind than people could possibly imagine.

“I know now that I’m Irish,” he says. “That’s no disrespect to England, but it’s more how my heart is. My blood is Irish and I feel Irish to my core, but I had to live with that for a long, long time. Would my journey have been any different if I’d played for Ireland? I don’t know. Because there’s a part of me that always wanted something more, thinking that something else would be my answer. And it never was.”

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

The Athletic have done an interview with Brian McDermott where he speaks about his football, coaching and managerial career and an addiction to alcohol. 

He has always spoken about his dream of managing Ireland (which seems much further away than it did 10 odd years ago) and he re-iterates his Irishness in the piece:

It was exacerbated, he feels, by a crisis of identity. Both his parents were Irish and he felt 100 per cent Irish — and still does — yet he felt pressurised to commit to his native England at under-18 level and regretted it immediately. He says it left him with a “lack of identity” and became a bigger issue in his mind than people could possibly imagine.

“I know now that I’m Irish,” he says. “That’s no disrespect to England, but it’s more how my heart is. My blood is Irish and I feel Irish to my core, but I had to live with that for a long, long time. Would my journey have been any different if I’d played for Ireland? I don’t know. Because there’s a part of me that always wanted something more, thinking that something else would be my answer. And it never was.”

I've met McDermott at an Ireland game before, very nice fella and a proper Irishman.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:47pm
Something that actually did happen is Roddy Collins releasing a book just in time for Christmas. Who would buy that? 

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:52pm
It's also on audiobook narrated by Roddy himself

Edited by J89 - 24 Oct 2022 at 9:53pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 1:47am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

She only calls him Roddy look
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 7:29am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

LOL

LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 5:55pm
Who would've thought Mark Kennedy would be the Irishman managing at the highest level? Never would've guessed it given what a madman he was in his younger years.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Who would've thought Mark Kennedy would be the Irishman managing at the highest level? Never would've guessed it given what a madman he was in his younger years.

Good interview, worth a read. After a dodgy enough start, he seems to have them heading in the right direction, unbeaten in 4 including games vs Ipswich and Sheff Wed and into the top half of League One now. Plenty of young Irish players there with Paudie O'Connor, Roughan and recently Mandroiu all starting regularly. Young Oisin Gallagher there also, but yet to feature in the League this season. Play offs given their budget would be a fine achievement. Good luck to him - had high hopes for him back in the day when he signed for LFC.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Jim Goodwin might disagree mind - Has Aberdeen up to 3rd now in the SPL and the only club outside the Big 2 with a positive goal difference. Not sure what the respective budgets might be, but I'd imagine Aberdeen's is probably bigger than Lincoln's?

Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic