Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57358
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Irish club managers thread
Posted By: MC Hammered
Subject: Irish club managers thread
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:39am
Does this thread already exist? Who are the promising Irish managers out there? 

Let's leave the MON, Kenny and Mick bashing or advocating aside for this. I'm more interested in the likes of Brian Barry-Murphy and Jim Goodwin. Who else is out there doing a good job?

-------------
El Puto Amo

Replies:
Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 12:07pm
Keith Long Heart

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 12:09pm
Eamon Dunphy.  He's managed to keep himself alive for 64 and a half years baby!

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 12:31pm
Graham Coughlan was well thought of at Bristol Rovers not so good at Mansfield but early days.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 12:35pm
Ian Morris 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 12:36pm
Mark Kennedy at Macclesfield, hard to make out if he is any good because club is a basket case. He took over from another young Irish manager Daryl McMahon who is highly rated. Last but not least the great Jim Gannon at Stockport County dragging them back up the leagues

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 12:58pm
Ollie Horgan, only for his loyalty to Harps he'd be managing in the Champions league 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Mark Kennedy at Macclesfield, hard to make out if he is any good because club is a basket case. He took over from another young Irish manager Daryl McMahon who is highly rated. Last but not least the great Jim Gannon at Stockport County dragging them back up the leagues
Jim Gannon refused to talk to Sky because they hadn’t come to fix his Sky box. You can only respect the man after that.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Jim Gannon refused to talk to Sky because they hadn’t come to fix his Sky box. You can only respect the man after that.

Agreed. Hope he didnt pay the bastards either

Posted By: Bham_McDermott
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:20pm

LOLLOL

-------------
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:27pm

I think we've all wasted years of our lives waiting for Sky to call out between 9-5 and not show #standwithjim

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Tribesman91
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm
John Sheridan was at Chesterfield until recently 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Tribesman91 Tribesman91 wrote:

The man responsible for the greatest ever rant about a referee. For those that haven’t seen it, it is worth searching for.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:05pm
Jim Goodwin doing not bad with St Mirn.......4 irish managers in SPL at the mo

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:30pm
The other three in the SPL are from the North ( Lennon , Robinson , Wright ) so Michael O'Neill at Stoke and Grant McCann at Hull would also come into it if we're talking all Ireland . And don't forget Oran Kearney ( Coleraine ) who saved St Mirren from the drop last season before falling out with the club's top brass and Mick McDermott ( Glentoran ) who has previous high level experience .

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Ollie Horgan, only for his loyalty to Harps he'd be managing in the Champions league 

Galways loss has been Donegals gain 👏👏👏

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 9:45pm

What a hero!

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The other three in the SPL are from the North ( Lennon , Robinson , Wright ) so Michael O'Neill at Stoke and Grant McCann at Hull would also come into it if we're talking all Ireland.

The way things are going, McCann mightn't be there much longer.

Meanwhile, you've overlooked (ahem) Brendan Rodgers at Leicester and Michael Duff, currently doing very well in his first managerial job at Cheltenham Town.

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 2:12pm
Yes, careless of me to miss Rodgers and Duff . There's also Robbie Keane, assistant manager at Middlesbrough , Irish qualified Steve Bruce and Joey Barton at Newcastle and Fleetwood respectively and Scott Parker ( Harry Arter's brother-in -law )at Fulham , but I'm really clutching at straws now .

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 2:18pm
Tommy Butler manager of Newcastle Womens team.

-------------

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 2:19pm
Brian Barry-Murphy at Rochdale.

Edit - just read first post again

-------------
Touts Out!

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Tribesman91 Tribesman91 wrote:

Due the Oldham job soon you would think

Posted By: Yiksheemash
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 12:38pm
it was reported by local media on Monday morning that John Sheridan would be new Waterford FC manager. Confirmed to players this morning at training. 

-------------
In my country we fak, my wife she isa dead

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Does this thread already exist? Who are the promising Irish managers out there? 

Let's leave the MON, Kenny and Mick bashing or advocating aside for this. I'm more interested in the likes of Brian Barry-Murphy and Jim Goodwin. Who else is out there doing a good job?

Think it's time this thread got a bump, Jim Goodwin doing an incredible job at St Miren. Beating both Glasgow Clubs, can't remember seeing them as high in the league in years and in a League cup semi final.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:45pm
Brian Barry Murphy has been named as the Sky Bet League One Manager of the Week 

-------------

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:51pm
St Mirren haven't finished in the top 6 in Scotland since the mid 1980s. They're one game away from achieving that this season under Goodwin. 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 10:17pm
St Mirren miss out on a top 6 finish after conceding a late equaliser against Hamilton.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 7:33am

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/brian-barry-murphy-and-rochdale-part-ways-after-club-accept-irish-managers-request-to-be-releasedfrom-contract-40600104.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/brian-barry-murphy-and-rochdale-part-ways-after-club-accept-irish-managers-request-to-be-releasedfrom-contract-40600104.html

-------------

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 9:33am
Saw a tweet saying that apparently Brian Barry Murphy is set to take over as Man City u23 coach. You'd hope that is something that could benefit young Irsh players such as Bazunu and Hodge who are currently at City.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Saw a tweet saying that apparently Brian Barry Murphy is set to take over as Man City u23 coach. You'd hope that is something that could benefit young Irsh players such as Bazunu and Hodge who are currently at City.

The source is John Fallon so I'll believe it when I see it.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:47pm
Fergal Harkin is very influential at City, and would have dealt with Barry Murphy when Bazunu was on loan at Rochdale last season. No harm in having another strong Irish presence at one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Can only benefit us surely 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Fergal Harkin is very influential at City, and would have dealt with Barry Murphy when Bazunu was on loan at Rochdale last season. No harm in having another strong Irish presence at one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Can only benefit us surely 

But I thought he was at City? 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 10:37am
Curtis Fleming has joined the coaching staff at Bristol city.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Well  Brian Barry Murphy's nine man Manchester City drew 1-1 away to PSG in the uefa youth league. 

-------------

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 5:04pm
And Hodge has moved to Wolves

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

And Hodge has moved to Wolves
And the original tweet was 1 July when Hodge was still at City. 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:46pm
Decent article.

Jim Goodwin reaffirms his desire to manage Ireland in the future and speaks about the Irish contingent at St. Mirren.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/1007/1252383-jim-goodwin/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/1007/1252383-jim-goodwin/

-------------

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Decent article.

Jim Goodwin reaffirms his desire to manage Ireland in the future and speaks about the Irish contingent at St. Mirren.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/1007/1252383-jim-goodwin/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/1007/1252383-jim-goodwin/

Would love to see it. He'd be my choice if Kenny is to get the chop. A young hungry up and coming manager who knows us inside out. Hes been very good for our lads at St Mirren.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Decent article.

Would love to see it. He'd be my choice if Kenny is to get the chop. A young hungry up and coming manager who knows us inside out. Hes been very good for our lads at St Mirren.

At his age international football probably won't be something he'll want to do for quite awhile.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:23pm
I wouldn't be going overboard on Goodwin just yet. Yes he is doing a decent job with St Mirren but i wouldnt have him top of any list as our next manager. Not yet anyway. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:27pm
Goodwin is an obvious candidate for sure. I suspect he will stay at St Mirren for a few years yet. I am following them closely now due to the Irish connection and hopefully he will continue to source and improve Irish talent. I hope Ronan stays fit as his star like McGrath's and Doyle Hayes will rise if he does.

I could genuinely see them challenging for Top Half if they get Mcgrath and Ronan working together in full flow. that's' serious creativity for a team of St Mirrens calibre.

It's reported Tierney at Bohs has agreed a deal with a Scottish side I wonder is that St Mirren too.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:37am
Motherwell apparently.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 11:04am
https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/how-frank-stapletons-american-dream-turned-into-a-nightmare-40978409.html" rel="nofollow - https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/how-frank-stapletons-american-dream-turned-into-a-nightmare-40978409.html

Irish managerial careers never seem to last long. Ronnie Whelan and Liam Brady are other big names who managed at a decent level for three or four years before settling into punditry.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 3:18pm
Kieran McKenna the new Ipswich manager. Potential future Ireland manager or nah?

-------------

Posted By: TooOldForThis
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 3:28pm

Kieran McKenna the new Ipswich manager. Potential future Ireland manager or nah?
Another NI manager! How do they do it?

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Rodgers, McKenna, O'Neill, Robinson, McCann.

All managing at L1 level or higher. I might be missing another few.

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 5:55pm

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Rodgers, McKenna, O'Neill, Robinson, McCann.

All managing at L1 level or higher. I might be missing another few.

Michael Duff at Cheltenham, in the 3rd season of his 1st manager's job.

Won the Lge Two title last season, they're currently 14th in Lge One. Only their 5th ever season at this level, with 17th being their highest finish, so they're punching above their weight.

Duff looks to be one-to-watch.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:37am
Diarmuid O'Carroll appointed assistant manager at Morecambe and will take charge for today's FA Cup game against Tottenham after Stephen Robinson tested positive for COVID.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/sport/soccer/diarmuid-ocarroll-appointed-assistant-manager-at-morecambe-41210494.html" rel="nofollow - https://m.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/sport/soccer/diarmuid-ocarroll-appointed-assistant-manager-at-morecambe-41210494.html

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 10:07pm
St. Mirren in the top half after five wins from their last six games in all competitions. It would've been six from six only for Ross Tierney's last minute equaliser a week ago.

They have games in hand over teams above and below them as well so they're looking well placed to make up for the disappointment of narrowly missing out last season.

Goodwin a man to keep an eye on.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 10:46pm
In terms of playing budget St Mirren should be fighting a relegation battle every season, or just be one of the better teams in the division below. He's working miracles to have them in and around the top six two years in a row. 

He's very open in saying that he'd like to manage Ireland one day so definitely one to keep an eye on for the future.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 5:43pm
Aberdeen want Jim Goodwin as their next manager.

-------------

Posted By: Yurt
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 1:31am
Seems like Aberdeen would be a decent move for Goodwin. Funny that it seemed like it would be an underwhelming switch for Jamie McGrath but I guess it's different for a manager.

You'd have to think that the limit for St Mirren is top 6 of the SPL but Aberdeen would have the means to challenge for the top 3 and potentially make the group stages in Europe.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 1:28pm

Aberdeen want Jim Goodwin as their next manager.

St Mirren have given Aberdeen permission to speak to Jim.

-------------

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 1:59pm
Aberdeen have been given permission by St Mirren to sign Goodwin as their manager.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 2:58pm
Already a done deal from yesterday supposedly. This is all just media management, etc

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 9:47am
Officially announced this morning and will be in the dugout for today's game against Motherwell.

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 9:57am
Hopefully will continue with signing Irish players at Aberdeen. McGrath, McCarthy, Jake Doyle Hayes, Conor Ronan all lads who've done well under him at St. Mirren.  

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 10:13am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Officially announced this morning and will be in the dugout for today's game against Motherwell.

Assuming it goes ahead after a pitch inspection.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 11:01am
Great chance for him. Doing well at somewhere like Aberdeen more likely to get him noticed in England than at St Mirren

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 11:42am
He is definitely very irish focused. His dream is to manage the national team.
Having managers like him and Mccarthy taking chances on irish lads they know has been good for us at times where players are getting a chance at a level they might not have got elsewhere.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 11:42am

Assuming it goes ahead after a pitch inspection.

Pitch inspection passed.

Posted By: Benhur
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 4:59pm
Sheridan taken Oldham out of the relegation zone 

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:33pm
It's all gone Pete Tong for Jim Goodwin at Aberdeen. Looks like another loss today.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:27pm
Big few weeks ahead for him there, Aberdeen in a three way battle now with St Johnstone and his old club St Mirren to avoid the relegation playoff spot. Realistically they almost certainly won't be relegated in the end, and he did inherit a bit of a mess, but they still shouldn't be that far down the league.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 10:50am
In Goodwin's defence, when you're up against refereeing like this...

https://twitter.com/SHowlers/status/1518513535055286274?t=y3xNRQEethvuNHNqGmHpcQ&s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/SHowlers/status/1518513535055286274?t=y3xNRQEethvuNHNqGmHpcQ&s=19

The attacking player actually got booked for that - unbelievable.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 11:09am
Do Irish club managers exist int he UK?

I thought they were an extinct species

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 6:06pm
We have an Irish manager in the Championship again! Kind of. 

Former U16 international Martin Devaney has taken over at relegated Barnsley until the end of the season.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 10:08am
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/8704935/republic-ireland-under-21-patrick-kohlmann-werder-bremen-bundesliga/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/8704935/republic-ireland-under-21-patrick-kohlmann-werder-bremen-bundesliga/

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 3:43pm
From The Athletic.

Lincoln City want Mark Kennedy to replace Michael Appleton as their next manager, with the League One club understood not to be targeting Michael Carrick.
Lincoln have been without a permanent manager since Michael Appleton left his role at the League One club after three seasons in charge.

Carrick, who worked as Manchester United’s caretaker manager for three matches earlier this season, had been linked to the vacancy but it is understood the club are targeting Kennedy, who is currently the assistant head coach at Championship club Birmingham City.

Kennedy, 45, has only had one job in management, replacing Danny Whitaker at Macclesfield Town in January 2020. But he took charge of just 12 matches before resigning, with Macclesfield eventually relegated to the National League as a result of a points deduction for financial issues.

In total Kennedy won one match at Macclesfield, drawing three and losing eight.

Prior to joining Macclesfield, Kennedy began his coaching career at Ipswich Town, eventually taking up a position coaching in Manchester City’s academy, while also working at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

He briefly returned to Ipswich after his Macclesfield departure, before taking his current role as Lee Bowyer’s assistant at Birmingham in June 2021.

He represented the Republic of Ireland 34 times during his playing career, during which time he enjoyed stints at Liverpool, Manchester City, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Cardiff and Ipswich.

Lincoln finished 17th in League One this season, a year after reaching the play-off final where they were beaten by Blackpool.

Appleton succeeded Danny Cowley at the LNER Stadium in September 2019.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 4:09pm
Mark Kennedy appointed new Lincoln manager:  https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2022/05/lincoln-city-have-a-new-first-team-manager/" rel="nofollow - https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2022/05/lincoln-city-have-a-new-first-team-manager/

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 2:37pm
Peter Murphy's Annan Athletic look to overturn a two-goal deficit against Alan Maybury's Edinburgh City in the Scottish League One play-off final tonight.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2022 at 6:57pm
Owen Coyle appointed the new Queens Park manager.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 6:20am
Graham Stack the new goalkeeping coach at Cardiff city.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 1:09pm
https://www.mancity.com/features/brian-barry-murphy-makings-of-a-manager/" rel="nofollow - https://www.mancity.com/features/brian-barry-murphy-makings-of-a-manager/

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 1:42pm
The makings of a manager and no reference to his dad? Shoddy.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 3:44pm
This came up on autoplay on YouTube. Thought it was Nigel Worthington.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9Be57Dhr8" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9Be57Dhr8

Posted By: brissy
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 4:01pm
Keith Long, Stephen Bradley

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 6:03pm

Aberdeen manager Jim Goodwin has been given a six-game touchline ban for his recent comments about Hibernian's Ryan Porteous "conning" referees.

Porteous won a penalty in  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62859196" rel="nofollow -  in September, with Liam Scales sent off after his challenge resulted in a second booking.

After that Scottish Premiership game, Goodwin said: "You are always worried who is marking Ryan Porteous because you know what he is like, he's won so many free-kicks and penalties for his conning of the referee."

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Aberdeen manager Jim Goodwin has been given a six-game touchline ban for his recent comments about Hibernian's Ryan Porteous "conning" referees.

Porteous won a penalty in  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62859196" rel="nofollow -  in September, with Liam Scales sent off after his challenge resulted in a second booking.

After that Scottish Premiership game, Goodwin said: "You are always worried who is marking Ryan Porteous because you know what he is like, he's won so many free-kicks and penalties for his conning of the referee."

Because comments like this, par for the course in re: to poor officiating from referees, must be dealt with more strongly than sectarian/racist abuse. Scotland, the bizarro world of football yet again.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 12:17pm
Graham Coughlan is the new manager at League 2 Newport County.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 7:56pm
The Athletic have done an interview with Brian McDermott where he speaks about his football, coaching and managerial career and an addiction to alcohol. 

He has always spoken about his dream of managing Ireland (which seems much further away than it did 10 odd years ago) and he re-iterates his Irishness in the piece:

It was exacerbated, he feels, by a crisis of identity. Both his parents were Irish and he felt 100 per cent Irish — and still does — yet he felt pressurised to commit to his native England at under-18 level and regretted it immediately. He says it left him with a “lack of identity” and became a bigger issue in his mind than people could possibly imagine.

“I know now that I’m Irish,” he says. “That’s no disrespect to England, but it’s more how my heart is. My blood is Irish and I feel Irish to my core, but I had to live with that for a long, long time. Would my journey have been any different if I’d played for Ireland? I don’t know. Because there’s a part of me that always wanted something more, thinking that something else would be my answer. And it never was.”

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

The Athletic have done an interview with Brian McDermott where he speaks about his football, coaching and managerial career and an addiction to alcohol. 

He has always spoken about his dream of managing Ireland (which seems much further away than it did 10 odd years ago) and he re-iterates his Irishness in the piece:

It was exacerbated, he feels, by a crisis of identity. Both his parents were Irish and he felt 100 per cent Irish — and still does — yet he felt pressurised to commit to his native England at under-18 level and regretted it immediately. He says it left him with a “lack of identity” and became a bigger issue in his mind than people could possibly imagine.

“I know now that I’m Irish,” he says. “That’s no disrespect to England, but it’s more how my heart is. My blood is Irish and I feel Irish to my core, but I had to live with that for a long, long time. Would my journey have been any different if I’d played for Ireland? I don’t know. Because there’s a part of me that always wanted something more, thinking that something else would be my answer. And it never was.”

I've met McDermott at an Ireland game before, very nice fella and a proper Irishman.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:47pm
Something that actually did happen is Roddy Collins releasing a book just in time for Christmas. Who would buy that? 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40984019.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40984019.html

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:52pm
It's also on audiobook narrated by Roddy himself

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 1:47am

She only calls him Roddy look

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

LOL

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 7:29am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

LOL

LOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 5:55pm
Who would've thought Mark Kennedy would be the Irishman managing at the highest level? Never would've guessed it given what a madman he was in his younger years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2022/10/22/michael-walker-uncomfortable-mark-kennedy-making-the-cut-in-management/" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2022/10/22/michael-walker-uncomfortable-mark-kennedy-making-the-cut-in-management/

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 1:48pm

Who would've thought Mark Kennedy would be the Irishman managing at the highest level? Never would've guessed it given what a madman he was in his younger years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2022/10/22/michael-walker-uncomfortable-mark-kennedy-making-the-cut-in-management/" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2022/10/22/michael-walker-uncomfortable-mark-kennedy-making-the-cut-in-management/

Good interview, worth a read. After a dodgy enough start, he seems to have them heading in the right direction, unbeaten in 4 including games vs Ipswich and Sheff Wed and into the top half of League One now. Plenty of young Irish players there with Paudie O'Connor, Roughan and recently Mandroiu all starting regularly. Young Oisin Gallagher there also, but yet to feature in the League this season. Play offs given their budget would be a fine achievement. Good luck to him - had high hopes for him back in the day when he signed for LFC.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 2:16pm

Jim Goodwin might disagree mind - Has Aberdeen up to 3rd now in the SPL and the only club outside the Big 2 with a positive goal difference. Not sure what the respective budgets might be, but I'd imagine Aberdeen's is probably bigger than Lincoln's?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 3:29pm

Jim Goodwin might disagree mind - Has Aberdeen up to 3rd now in the SPL and the only club outside the Big 2 with a positive goal difference. Not sure what the respective budgets might be, but I'd imagine Aberdeen's is probably bigger than Lincoln's?

True enough. Aberdeen have an argument to be the third biggest side in Scotland while Lincoln are a small club by League One standards. 

Goodwin, Kennedy, Barry-Murphy. All young. Hopefully one of them will follow Kenny into international management.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 4:15pm
Yes, Aberdeen would definitely have a bigger budget than Lincoln.

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 6:13pm

True enough. Aberdeen have an argument to be the third biggest side in Scotland while Lincoln are a small club by League One standards. 

Goodwin, Kennedy, Barry-Murphy. All young. Hopefully one of them will follow Kenny into international management.
Mad how you'd have this discourse and not have Stephen Bradley in here given his age and everything that he's a achieved. Technically he's managing at higher level than the rest too 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Mad how you'd have this discourse and not have Stephen Bradley in here given his age and everything that he's a achieved. Technically he's managing at higher level than the rest too 

Only managed one club though and it is clearly the best resourced club in the League for a number of years. Think he will have to cut his teeth elsewhere in time, but he seems to be doing a very good job for sure.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 2:35pm

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Only managed one club though and it is clearly the best resourced club in the League for a number of years. Think he will have to cut his teeth elsewhere in time, but he seems to be doing a very good job for sure.

Fwiw, I'd have him behind Goodwin (Aberdeen are a big club with history, it's a big opportunity for Jim) but ahead of Kennedy and Barry Murphy in the pecking order. Didnt Bradley turn down the Lincoln job before Kennedy took it?

Hopefully all of the lads can progress further. Twould be great to see Goodwin get Aberdeen back into Europe and make them competitive again although their budget is a quarter of the 2 Big Scottish clubs, so there's probably only so far he can take them. A 3rd place finish this year would be a decent achievement. For Kennedy, it's a young team, a play off spot would be great. For Bradley, it's hard to see how much further he can take Rovers, is it time for him to take on a new challenge?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 9:26pm
Jim Goodwin's Aberdeen 4-1 up against Hibs and third in the table with daylight over many of the teams below them. They're flyin' it shur.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 8:40pm
Athlone man Anthony Hayes appointed interim manager of Charlton in League One.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 8:35pm
Aberdeen well on course for a fourth consecutive loss. Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:46am
Sounds like Rory Delap is going to get sacked from his coaching role at Stoke.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 11:44am
Stoke announced last night that he's left the club.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net