You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New rte documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

It was good to see that Egypt side finally get a bit of long overdue praise. Lot of people back in the day thinking they were total jokers and drawing with them was a disgrace. It was also interesting to hear Aldridge claim they basically gave us a serving of our own medicine - i.e happy to cede possession and apply constant pressure.

I don't think it's possible to cede possession and also apply constant pressure. Unless you're happy to frantically chase and harry your opponent all over the pitch without any intention of actually winning the ball. 

Eh? That was our game plan under Charlton for the guts of a decade! Boot the ball up into the corner (cede possession) and then chase after it (applying pressure). I believe there may even have been a technical term for it, what was it again, oh yeah, 'putting 'em under pressure'!

Yeah I think I'll have to take that one on the chin. That's what I get for being needlessly pedantic. 
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:00am

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Was there a team song before Euro 88?

At the start of the show it showed the team singing on the late late show, we are the boys in green, but pretty sure that was before Italia 90.

Michael Carwood and Boys in Green was the Euro88 song.  Still my favourite football song.  There was a version for Italy as well.
Even as a child, obsessed with all things football, it made me cringe in a way that has never been equalled. I’m sure it would have been used in Guantanamo.

I'm sure you loved this one. The greatest football song, no actually, THE GREATEST SONG EVER COMPOSED. 

Johnny Aldridge, showed the Maltese
That he hasn't lost his touch
He's holding back now
For the craic now
Until the day we get revenge on the Dutch

Ronnie Whelan, Had them reelin'
The Russians have confirmed it as a fact
To ensure that they don't meet Ireland
They're trying to change the Warsaw pact

Always thought that line was - daddy hasn't lost his touch Embarrassed
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:09am

At the start of the show it showed the team singing on the late late show, we are the boys in green, but pretty sure that was before Italia 90.

Michael Carwood and Boys in Green was the Euro88 song.  Still my favourite football song.  There was a version for Italy as well.
Even as a child, obsessed with all things football, it made me cringe in a way that has never been equalled. I’m sure it would have been used in Guantanamo.

I'm sure you loved this one. The greatest football song, no actually, THE GREATEST SONG EVER COMPOSED. 

He's holding back now
For the craic now

Sounds like a line Jimmy Saville would write
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He's holding back now
For the craic now

Sounds like a line Jimmy Saville would write
We were a more catholic country then.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:42am
Another favourite of mine

We drove over 10K Kms around Italy along in the month and had all the WC songs blaring. Started in Cagliari and finished in at the final in Rome.  Only one song for Euro88 but quite a few for Italia90.  Still have the tapes somewhere.  Michael Carwood's was on vinyl.  

Two very different tournaments in many ways.  Euro88 was one for the football people of the country.  The rest of the country didn't realise it was on until the England game.  Italia90 was for everyone.  Loads who had never been to Lansdowne Road travelled to Italy.      
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:51am

We drove over 10K Kms around Italy along in the month and had all the WC songs blaring. Started in Cagliari and finished in at the final in Rome.  Only one song for Euro88 but quite a few for Italia90.  Still have the tapes somewhere.  Michael Carwood's was on vinyl.  

Two very different tournaments in many ways.  Euro88 was one for the football people of the country.  The rest of the country didn't realise it was on until the England game.  Italia90 was for everyone.  Loads who had never been to Lansdowne Road travelled to Italy.      

The idea of 88 being for football people may seem odd to the younger generation considering how the game has grown nationwide over the past 30 odd years. I do know what you mean though. Nearly ever person i knew who was in Germany in 88 was a LOI regular. By 94 the majority of them had fallen away from the international team but stayed with the LOI, some of them became and remain hostile to the international team. Meant to add that the manner in which tickets for the Wembley game in 91 were distributed caused a lot to turn away.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 11 Mar 2020 at 11:53am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Meant to add that the manner in which tickets for the Wembley game in 91 were distributed caused a lot to turn away.
Football family alive and well back then?
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:38pm

The idea of 88 being for football people may seem odd to the younger generation considering how the game has grown nationwide over the past 30 odd years. I do know what you mean though. Nearly ever person i knew who was in Germany in 88 was a LOI regular. By 94 the majority of them had fallen away from the international team but stayed with the LOI, some of them became and remain hostile to the international team. Meant to add that the manner in which tickets for the Wembley game in 91 were distributed caused a lot to turn away.

Not just the LoI though.  People in rural Ireland involved in junior clubs some of whom had picked broken glass out of goalmouths not too long before that.  I got the impression that almost everyone in Germany was either part of the football community or part of the massive diaspora that had followed us away for many years before that.

The bandwagon was rolling for Italy.  There were thousands locked out of the Egypt and Netherlands games.

Tickets became a huge issue then.  There were block bookings for years beforehand but no need for them.  My Dad had let our lapse in the early 80's as often different numbers at games.  After  a scare re Belgium 87 secured mine for Italia90 campaign.  Spain 89 was on general sale but loads of regulars missed out and Malta & Hungary were really tough.  After that it took years to get in (opened up briefly in 92  IIRC).  Huge issues with Wembley in 91 as you say all right the other away games were ok from what I recall.     
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Meant to add that the manner in which tickets for the Wembley game in 91 were distributed caused a lot to turn away.
Football family alive and well back then?

LOLLOLLOL
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 7:57pm

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Some gas when both us and Holland were guaranteed to be the 1990 WC 2nd round and they played a pass the ball around game. I reckon if someone from either our team or Holland who decided to score a winner would of been decapitated ha 

Now may have been pass the ball around near the end but goodness the mother of all parties after the game .
Was on a camp site where it was half and half with the Dutch now fair play to the owers they had it all set up food and drink and loads of it and one hell of a night and morning .

Campsite in Cefalu ?

Don't think so CH from what i remember it was an inner city campsite 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:02pm
Was in Cefalu myself. What a party for the few weeks we there 🇮🇪🇮🇪
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Was in Cefalu myself. What a party for the few weeks we there 🇮🇪🇮🇪

Was there also loved it.  
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:25pm
only a few months old during Italia 90 but going from the Doc that italy team was like the French team we played in 2016 in the L16 and it really was just luck for us on the day as they were far superior teams than us and we would not hold onto the lead (2016 in being in the lead case)
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 8:49pm
What new stuff were people expecting? Everything since Stuttgart is widely available. It's nostalgia, not Panorama.

It could be worse. It could be a documentary of McCarthy's 10 Classic 1-1 Draws. 

Romania 1997. How we nicked a point to wreck Romania's perfect qualifying campaign in the final game of the group. 
Belgium 1997. How we nicked a draw in the home playoff, after being completely outclassed for 90 minutes. 
Macedonia 1999. How we nicked a point in injury time, to kick Croatia, the WC semi finalists out of the Euros. 
Portugal 2000. How we nicked a point at the semi finalists at the Euros. 
Cameroon 2002. How we nicked a point to shut the whingers and the moaners about Saipan up. 
Germany 2002, How we nicked a point against the World Cup finalists, the only goal they conceded on their way to Yokohama. 92 minutes, goal needed, ball in our own half. Launch...
Spain 2002, How we nicked a draw against 10 men at the WC. 89 minutes, goal needed, set piece. Launch...
Denmark 2019, How we nicked yet another point away to Denmark. 85 minutes, goal needed, set piece. Launch... 
Switzerland 2019, How we nicked an equaliser against the top seeds with our traditional put em under pressure tactic. Those top seeds don't like it up 'em. 
Denmark 2019. How we nicked a point late on in the last game of the group en route to the playoffs. 

"Fantastic manager"- Kilbane. 
"I can do a job for you in midfield" - Kiely. 

"Our best manager since Charlton, gives us a demonstration in how to get, achieve, and celebrate the 1-1 draw. Just a reminder, this motion picture is not available in any shops."

Thank Christ.

Coming up next time: McCarthy's 10 Classic Moral Victories......
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 7:30am
What about McCarthy’s 2-0 win against Croatia, or his 2-1 victory over Yugoslavia or his 1-0 win over the Dutch. Do they qualify for your documentary?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 7:41am
You do realise there are a few more parts to the documentary to go 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 1:38pm
It was Macedonia who nicked a draw in injury time in 1999.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 5:22pm
Not documentary related but ...

The forgotten story of Ireland’s first Euro quarter-finalists
https://the42.ie/5045794
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic