Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New rte documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Mick Byrne's "We'll do them for yiz today", a timeless line Clap

I can only imagine what it was like to be in Stuttgart that day.

Also, it never fails to amaze me how bad Cascarino's peno was LOL

That's an interesting stat about the age of our player at USA '94, no wonder the collapse in the following qualifying campaign was so dramatic.

One those that the pace beat the keeper more than anything else
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:56pm
Average age of the squad was 28.5

Sure we had an injured 38 year old kevin moran.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:56pm

Happy Times indeed. The day/night in Hannover was my best day following the team.

Couldnt help noticing in some of the 88 pictures a future FAI Cup-Final referree decked out in green, pint glass in hand.

And the other thing was the point made by Declan Lynch where he said that this period was the first time ordinary people actully borrrowed money to spend on themselves rather than out of necessity. Id imagine the younger generation might find that difficult to imagine a time when credit/credit cards were only available to a small cohort of the public.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by forza trapp forza trapp wrote:

Great memories indeed, remember being grumpy that our game was hijacked by the likes of Pat Kenny and Gay Byrne, everyone where suddenly supporters.
Afternoon games on a sh*te pitch, magic ! They really where mad innocent times 😃

yeah i remember the 'late late show' he says the fai have employed jack charlton as new manager , if that means anything to anyone.....i hated him after that...last night he did say before an interview 'i;ve never met the man'....then the GAA men all over the country couldnt wait to book flights to italy 

good program.... i was i germany, great memories
Come on Irelind
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Shocked
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

really good so far - Jesus , Kevin sheedy is twice the man now 
He's what I'd imagine Louis Walsh would have aged into without the botox

Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

Was gas really  going to Ireland match’s in middle of day on a Wednesday 
What was the craic with games back then? I remember getting out of school and games being on, were they always Wednesday's at 3pm?
Were there a lot of half days being taken for games or did offices just close early for games?
Was it just one game per international break? Or were they just one offs sandwiched between weekends of domestic leagues?

Games were on Wednesdays with league games the previous weekend.  We had no floodlights. People had to take leave to watch them.  away trips often required a Saturday night stay to get reasonable flights.

Tickets for home games were really scarce although Belgium selling out in April 87 was a huge shock to me and others.  Luckily for me I block booked immediately after that.  

The finals were amazing.  Fantastic atmosphere and walking on air the whole time.  Went a little sour after Orlando in 94.  The abject humiliation of losing to the Dutch.  ShockedShockedShocked

What was the weather like against the Dutch? 

I remember the Mexico game being like being in an oven, something like 120F at pitch level.

Watched the Charlton years yesterday and a lot of people saying that he should have left after the World Cup.

We actually started decently in the 96 qualifiers too but then from June 95 onwards it just went downhill drawing with Liechtenstein and losing to Austria twice 

Weather wasn't the issue v the Dutch.  It was significantly cooler.  Mexico game was insane even sitting in the crowd was tough.  Had to sit in the dark at half time.  Dutch game was just very pleasant weather wise.  We were making plans to get to Dallas for the quarter final.      
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Weather wasn't the issue v the Dutch.  It was significantly cooler.  Mexico game was insane even sitting in the crowd was tough.  Had to sit in the dark at half time.  Dutch game was just very pleasant weather wise.  We were making plans to get to Dallas for the quarter final.      

I was at the Mexico game myself so I remember that really well. IFIRC the seats were metal or at least a form of plastic which just absorbed the heat.

Will the documentary continue past Charltons time?
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

And the other thing was the point made by Declan Lynch where he said that this period was the first time ordinary people actully borrrowed money to spend on themselves rather than out of necessity. Id imagine the younger generation might find that difficult to imagine a time when credit/credit cards were only available to a small cohort of the public.

And none of this Campervan champagne travellers.

I love the stories of lads driving all the way to Italy and sleeping in the car. Calling home for more money to be sent over and telling work they will be away for another week! 

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

And none of this Campervan champagne travellers.

I love the stories of lads driving all the way to Italy and sleeping in the car. Calling home for more money to be sent over and telling work they will be away for another week! 

Yep.

Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead - London - Folkstone - Ostend - Brussels - Milan - Rome - Cittavecchi - Cagliari. Inter Rail all the way......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 2:05pm
We had some team of leaders in that period 

Was it aldridge that took a dump in o Leary’s shoe ?

StayPuft View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StayPuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 3:03pm
Lads, how can I watch this from the UK?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by StayPuft StayPuft wrote:

Lads, how can I watch this from the UK?
Binoculars 
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:17pm
LOLLOL
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:44pm
anytime I look at it the more I think Bonner should of done much better with Schillacis shot in 1990....it really was bad goalkeeping.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

anytime I look at it the more I think Bonner should of done much better with Schillacis shot in 1990....it really was bad goalkeeping.

Was absolutely shockin!  Not to mention Jonk's goal in 1994.

Still I suppose we have to give him credit for Romania.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Was absolutely shockin!  Not to mention Jonk's goal in 1994.

Still I suppose we have to give him credit for Romania.

The jonk one I can give him...he was finished at that time and the back pass rules had him screwed...but the schillaci one was awful,straight at him,mid drift,near postish...he could of palmed it down and collected it or push it out for a corner.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:55pm

He somehow managed to stumble way out of the goal too so had no chance for the rebound.

The ball fell nicely for toto.
I’m fairness the goal was in the first half so we had plenty of time to get back into it. Beaten by the better team on the day. 

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:11pm
Bonner had a nasty habit of parrying the ball rather than catching it or pushing it away from goal. Scottish-based goalkeepers had a terrible reputation in those days, and small wonder.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:42pm
Some gas when both us and Holland were guaranteed to be the 1990 WC 2nd round and they played a pass the ball around game. I reckon if someone from either our team or Holland who decided to score a winner would of been decapitated ha 

Any of our players today should take encouragement from Aldridge and do whatever star player Slovakia have ha 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic