You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 754755756757758 839>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 8:25am
 We need to make sure the soon to be triple  jabbed are not turning on the double jabbed 
2 more weeks  and we can flatten the curve Clap
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 8:51am
For those saying we need a bigger health service, how much more would you spend on it? How much bigger would you want it after Covid, happy then to be overpaying for a larger health service when it's no longer needed?

And then secondly, what are ya cutting from the budget to pay for it? 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

For those saying we need a bigger health service, how much more would you spend on it? How much bigger would you want it after Covid, happy then to be overpaying for a larger health service when it's no longer needed?

Probably the nonsense €5 “we put back in everyone’s pocket” would be the first thing. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 9:18am
selfishness and greed are the biggest problem. Everywhere we went in Luxembourg all our covid id’s were checked and mask wearing was obligatory. I haven’t been checked once in my hometown and the pubs are wedged.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

selfishness and greed are the biggest problem. Everywhere we went in Luxembourg all our covid id’s were checked and mask wearing was obligatory. I haven’t been checked once in my hometown and the pubs are wedged.
The certs were checked everywhere in Lux but there was zero rules once in the pub. Boozers were like zoos, with little or no rules applying
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:34am
Hospital beds are always the biggest problem this time of the year with the regular Flu season. Now Covid has exacerbated our annual failings in this area by a multiple of 2 or more. Now we are walking into another christmas lockdown because the hospitals can't cope.
Vaccines were supposed to be our way out of this but our numbers are more or less what they were when there was no vaccination. We are not going to be able to wipe out this disease similar to how we can't wipe out the flu or common cold. We need to therefore prepare for these spikes in hospitalizations. The fact that we haven't and are once again going to have to react with a lockdown is so frustrating. 

Amount of money they spend on PUP during lockdowns they could build multiple dedicated hospitals for Covid. They don't need to be anything too fancy, the care for a covid patient would be pretty similar and equipment same. Take that population out of hospitals. Ok, you might get outbreaks but if you send people with worsening symptoms needing hospital admission directly to the covid hospital then these outbreaks will be less likely. Let the regular hospitals get on as normal. Let's face it, if hospitals were not under pressure then we wouldn't be talking about restrictions, it's only caused by the pressure on the hospitals. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Vaccines were supposed to be our way out of this but our numbers are more or less what they were when there was no vaccination. We are not going to be able to wipe out this disease similar to how we can't wipe out the flu or common cold. We need to therefore prepare for these spikes in hospitalizations. The fact that we haven't and are once again going to have to react with a lockdown is so frustrating. 
I think you've a very short memory on this on Andy. Last November we had no vaccines, but we also couldn't go to Ireland matches home or away. We've far more freedoms this year because of the vaccine. Until all the anti-vaxxers cop on we're still going to have cases.

Amount of money they spend on PUP during lockdowns they could build multiple dedicated hospitals for Covid. They don't need to be anything too fancy, the care for a covid patient would be pretty similar and equipment same. Take that population out of hospitals. Ok, you might get outbreaks but if you send people with worsening symptoms needing hospital admission directly to the covid hospital then these outbreaks will be less likely. Let the regular hospitals get on as normal. Let's face it, if hospitals were not under pressure then we wouldn't be talking about restrictions, it's only caused by the pressure on the hospitals.
Building more hospital beds to handle covid cases is like handling obesity by making clothes and seats bigger. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:06am
the pup I’m Portugal was €350 a month and there was no support payments fir hospitality.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:09am

I think you've a very short memory on this on Andy. Last November we had no vaccines, but we also couldn't go to Ireland matches home or away. We've far more freedoms this year because of the vaccine. Until all the anti-vaxxers cop on we're still going to have cases.

Building more hospital beds to handle covid cases is like handling obesity by making clothes and seats bigger. 

I don't have a short memory. I am not against the vaccine or anything and no doubt they have helped prevent more people getting more sick than they would have without it and they have allowed us to open up society. But they were not the silver bullet that we promised they were and it's not because of the 7% vaccinated. The virus is relentless and we won't be able to wipe it out any time soon and the cold reality is we are likely going to be in a situation that on Christmas Day we will be again told not to visit other households....exactly the same place we were last year despite vaccine. Time will tell if it goes that far but it looks bleak to me. 

Obviously, the science will get better and hopefully we get better vaccines and more importantly better treatment for those infected but I do think if we really want to get on and avoid annual lockdowns then we need to think of something more concentrated like dedicated hospitals to take patients out of the general hospotial population. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 17 Nov 2021 at 11:10am
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:17am

A more well run and bigger health service is like insurance, so just because I don't need it right now, I'd like it to be in great shape on the off chance I do need it - whether that's COVID related or not. In terms of the budget, the hand wringing over that is laughable. There is always money for health - though I agree that for the money we spend on health, the returns are pathetic. But there is no proper accountability for a good health service in this country, so that's what needs to change first. 

Even the idea that you "overpay" for a health service that's "no longer needed" is just strange to me. Why talk about a hypothetical expensive service that's no longer needed when we are so far behind what is needed right now? Why jump ahead to this mythical future where somehow, the money is spent well and we have a top tier health service that is free for citizens, but 1000s of empty beds and doctors and nurses twiddling their thumbs and suddenly we're all angry about funding them? 

It's nonsense and as a point it only serves as a distraction to the fact the HSE is a shambles. It's the same sh*te that comes out when you suggest there should be better public transport in the country.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:03pm

the pup I’m Portugal was €350 a month and there was no support payments fir hospitality.
House prices and general cost of living in Portugal lower than here, so not comparable. And let's be honest one of the main reasons for the generous financial supports here has been to ensure people could pay their mortgages/rents to protect the banks 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:17pm
PUP is not gonna be free money, no such thing as a free lunch. Im sure revenue will come knocking sooner or later. 
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:23pm

The money turned up very quick when they needed it for PUP. If that was ploughed into the health service in a meaningful way (ie. more beds, modernising hospitals, more doctors, more nurses, increase in payments for nurses), we'd be coming out the other side of this with the virus under much better control and with a functioning health service. Instead we are exactly where we were last November.

And we are going to see massive tax hikes to cover this bill, whatever happens. The HSE are an absolute black hole because of administrators on huge money actually doing nothing to contribute to the running of the health service. The right move was to set up a parallel service early last year, with the eventual goal of taking over the running of the HSE and get these high paid civil servants off the books.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:39pm

Spend it better.
We are one of the biggest spenders in Europe with much worse services generally. 
We have LESS public beds than we had in 1988. With a bigger population. 

Exhibit A
Children's Hospital 

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:58pm

Were you checked once for ID with it? Pointless if not. Antigen testing the way to go as people with the vaccine are passing it on but the government were late to the party with that too...
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:10pm

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

A more well run and bigger health service is like insurance, so just because I don't need it right now, I'd like it to be in great shape on the off chance I do need it - whether that's COVID related or not. In terms of the budget, the hand wringing over that is laughable. There is always money for health - though I agree that for the money we spend on health, the returns are pathetic. But there is no proper accountability for a good health service in this country, so that's what needs to change first. 

Even the idea that you "overpay" for a health service that's "no longer needed" is just strange to me. Why talk about a hypothetical expensive service that's no longer needed when we are so far behind what is needed right now? Why jump ahead to this mythical future where somehow, the money is spent well and we have a top tier health service that is free for citizens, but 1000s of empty beds and doctors and nurses twiddling their thumbs and suddenly we're all angry about funding them? 

It's nonsense and as a point it only serves as a distraction to the fact the HSE is a shambles. It's the same sh*te that comes out when you suggest there should be better public transport in the country.
I suppose what I don't think we should do, is build a massive new hospital, hire loads more staff, build another 500 ICU beds and ICU doctors to cater for today's demand. Then realise in 3 years time, we only need 300 ICU beds then but have the bill for running 1000. Granted it'd give us a top tier health service, but it'd leave feck all money for transport, housing or anything else we need it for.

I'm all for a top tier health service if we're willing to pay for it.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Spend it better.
We are one of the biggest spenders in Europe with much worse services generally. 
We have LESS public beds than we had in 1988. With a bigger population. 

Exhibit A
Children's Hospital
Children's hospital isn't even open yet, that's a procurement/construction issue.

"Spending it better" means what? Pay doctors/nurses less? 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

The money turned up very quick when they needed it for PUP. If that was ploughed into the health service in a meaningful way (ie. more beds, modernising hospitals, more doctors, more nurses, increase in payments for nurses), we'd be coming out the other side of this with the virus under much better control and with a functioning health service. Instead we are exactly where we were last November.

And we are going to see massive tax hikes to cover this bill, whatever happens. The HSE are an absolute black hole because of administrators on huge money actually doing nothing to contribute to the running of the health service. The right move was to set up a parallel service early last year, with the eventual goal of taking over the running of the HSE and get these high paid civil servants off the books.
The money didn't turn up, we borrowed it. It's added to the national debt.

I'd love to find these administrators and clear them out too, but to be honest, they're about as real as unicorns. HSE has an ad open on Linekdin for years looking for a CTO. Can't find anyone because the wages there are so low. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 754755756757758 839>
  Share Topic