You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 743744745746747 839>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

[QUOTE=ChesterCopperpot]The usual lads on here will say that I'm exaggerating but there's very little to suggest it will go any differently 

From what we’ve seen over last 18 months and from what we’re hearing from those in government, it would suggest you’ll be correct unless there’s a change in tact at government level.

Alot of people have their head in the sand with all this. We’ve been promised if we do this, if we do that, that’ll get us back to normal.

It’s all been bullsh!t. The vaccine should’ve been the game changer. It hasn’t been.

I’ve said this loads of times. This virus will be around for years and years and what we’re doing now with the various restrictions isn’t living for me. If it’s living for others, good luck to them 

Just wondering what restrictions currently that are in place make you feel you are not living.  Totally get it if you are in an industry that cannot work etc at the moment.  

You can travel, you can eat and drink out.  You can go to cinema or gym or play sports and attend sporting events (reduced capacity)  

Other than gigs and more numbers at sport events what's left that makes you feel you are not living. 

I’m not going to type out a list for you - but even some of things you say you can do, you can’t do freely and are restricted in certain ways (for example you can travel if you want to risk one of your kids over 12 getting COVID when away and then been stuck abroad for a number of weeks if not months if it’s still showing in system). That’s just one example in a very big list. 

If that’s for you, great. Not for me 

Over 12s can get the vaccine now so that should sort that. 
AKA pedantic kunt
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

How's Britain doing wince it opened everything? And what's the average joe on the street's opinon of doing that?

Pretty much normality here, apart from some people still choosing to wear masks. Expecting a rise in cases late September / October when the schools go back so that is going to be the test to see if the living with covid approach works. Was at United v Leeds last weekend and you wouldn't know covid had ever happened, packed grounds, pubs and public transport.

Cases were out of control in early July, but deaths remained very low so long may it continue hopefully.
+1

you wouldn't know there's a pandemic raging. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 22 Aug 2021 at 8:39am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 9:02am

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

[QUOTE=ChesterCopperpot]The usual lads on here will say that I'm exaggerating but there's very little to suggest it will go any differently 

From what we’ve seen over last 18 months and from what we’re hearing from those in government, it would suggest you’ll be correct unless there’s a change in tact at government level.

Alot of people have their head in the sand with all this. We’ve been promised if we do this, if we do that, that’ll get us back to normal.

It’s all been bullsh!t. The vaccine should’ve been the game changer. It hasn’t been.

I’ve said this loads of times. This virus will be around for years and years and what we’re doing now with the various restrictions isn’t living for me. If it’s living for others, good luck to them 

Just wondering what restrictions currently that are in place make you feel you are not living.  Totally get it if you are in an industry that cannot work etc at the moment.  

You can travel, you can eat and drink out.  You can go to cinema or gym or play sports and attend sporting events (reduced capacity)  

Other than gigs and more numbers at sport events what's left that makes you feel you are not living. 

I’m not going to type out a list for you - but even some of things you say you can do, you can’t do freely and are restricted in certain ways (for example you can travel if you want to risk one of your kids over 12 getting COVID when away and then been stuck abroad for a number of weeks if not months if it’s still showing in system). That’s just one example in a very big list. 

If that’s for you, great. Not for me 

Over 12s can get the vaccine now so that should sort that. 

It sorts nothing. I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable giving a child the vaccine at the moment.

Again, there’s a list of things that I could type out that effect me day to day. Just have a look at government site for restrictions.

If it doesn’t effect you, or you just don’t give a sh!t about the inconveniences with certain things, that’s brilliant for you!

But for the rest of us that actually want to live freely and not be restricted, the vaccine hasn’t got us back to normal like we were told.
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 9:21am
So let me get this straight you are giving out about restrictions being in place for.travel with over 12s but you wont get a vaccine to prevent then getting seriously ill.  

Sounds like you are just someone pissed off with the virus but taking it out on restrictions.  As I said my sympathy is with those in entertainment industry etc who cant work but other than that many of the restrictions in place now are minor enough.   You wont give an example of.how.these restrictions actually impact you in real terms.  Its theoretical  and a matter of principle it seems. 

People arguing for opening up everything in one go while also not getting vaccinated or having their family vaccinated is the height of stupidity. 

I do think there should be more opening up sooner rather than later esp regarding entertainment and sporting events but social distancing and washing hands and masks etc are just common sense in my view and do not impact in any tangible negative way.  

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Aug 2021 at 9:34am
AKA pedantic kunt
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 10:30am
Have two siblings living in NZ and just off the phone with one of them.

She expects they'll be in extended lock down for a month or so but as has been said, that's not a solution in itself. They have serious issues on vaccine supply and seem to have only bought Pfizer but not in quantities that are going to help them in the short term. Bizarre oversight given they've done so well for so long, but they can't close the place off forever.

Being in a bubble with Australia which is too big and accessible to keep it out means nz can't keep it out indefinitely. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 1:26pm

So let me get this straight you are giving out about restrictions being in place for.travel with over 12s but you wont get a vaccine to prevent then getting seriously ill.  

Sounds like you are just someone pissed off with the virus but taking it out on restrictions.  As I said my sympathy is with those in entertainment industry etc who cant work but other than that many of the restrictions in place now are minor enough.   You wont give an example of.how.these restrictions actually impact you in real terms.  Its theoretical  and a matter of principle it seems. 

People arguing for opening up everything in one go while also not getting vaccinated or having their family vaccinated is the height of stupidity. 

I do think there should be more opening up sooner rather than later esp regarding entertainment and sporting events but social distancing and washing hands and masks etc are just common sense in my view and do not impact in any tangible negative way.  

Again, I’ve a list as long as my arm re things.  Look around you, Every day, it effects people, some in small ways, some in not so small ways. Either way, they all add up to not being back to normal and living freely again. 

Until things are as they were before, were curtailed in what we do and how we do things.

You know you don’t need everyone vaccinated to get back to normal or wait the the virus to go away (which it won’t)? Is that what you’re waiting for before being happy to have restrictions lifted?

All you needed was the vulnerable and a certain percentage vaccinated. Some people can’t get vaccinated. As for kids, they’ve always been considered low risk. I’ve no doubt my kids have had the virus with the amount of people they’ve been around that have had it (either that, or it doesn’t spread as easily as they say). 

I’ll do what I think is best for their health, thank you very much. A young girl was seriously sick in the Lourdes in drogheda last week after getting the vaccine. What people don’t know yet is if kids are more at risk getting the virus or the vaccine having an effect on them. I certainly won’t be taking a chance with my kids for a while.

Going way off the point anyway!

"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 1:37pm
there is so many contradictions in your post there and yet you have not given an example tangible impacts on your life from the restrictions at the moment.  It’s hilarious that you are lecturing that people should get on with their life even if a few Die because of covid as these things happen but then you are freaked out by a vaccine and it’s impact on over 12s. 

You seem to yearn for “freedom” even if it means people getting very sick and dying (as long as they are not belonging to you), but you have major hang ups in your family taken a vaccine.  

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Aug 2021 at 2:46pm
AKA pedantic kunt
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

NZ just extended their lockdown into next week. I cant help but find it strange that they are still talking about stamping out the virus, given what we know now. I accept that their geo-politics allowed them to be at the forefront of elimination through lockdown, but in a longer term process of combatting the virus, vaccination is key, and the rates are just below 20%. The appearance of cases last week has apparent spurred on bookings for vaccination, but the Government seem interested in promoting lockdown as the way forward and that vaccination is "not the entire answer".

It's mid winter, there will be cases for them to deal with. You also have to remember that they and their neighbouring countries got their vaccines much later than Europe, so that would explain the low vaccination rates. It's not very long ago that our rates were very low. 

Expecting a rise in cases late September / October when the schools go back so that is going to be the test to see if the living with covid approach works. Was at United v Leeds last weekend and you wouldn't know covid had ever happened, packed grounds, pubs and public transport.

Cases were out of control in early July, but deaths remained very low so long may it continue hopefully.

100k cases per day were expected in the UK by now, it's barely 30k. 
2000 deaths were expected here by the HSE by September, if the pubs were open during the summer. There's only been 200 deaths approx since April. I know we see 200 deaths here differently than the brits do, but everytime apocalyptic forecasts are predicted, they're always wildly off the mark. 

There's many things you can throw at the Tories in how they've dealt with the virus, but if the left were in power, then everywhere would still be shut, masks would still be mandatory, stadiums would still be empty, and I'm fairly sure the EPL season would have never resumed in 2020. But they decided to live with the virus, and it appears to be paying off. The hospitals are not overwhelmed and deaths are still relatively low atm. 

Most of us are now fully vaccinated, so there's not much more we can really do about avoiding it. Normality means no masks and no restrictions, in any setting. That is called living with the virus, not letting it run us instead. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 2:26pm

there is so many ok contradictions in your post there and yet you have given an example tangible impacts on your life from the restrictions at the moment.  It’s hilarious that you are lecturing that people should get on with their life even if a few Die because of covid as these things happen but then you are freaked out by a vaccine and it’s impact on over 12s. 

You seem to yearn for “freedom” even if it means people getting very sick and dying (as long as they are not belonging to you), but you have major hang ups in your family taken a vaccine.  

Look, that’s not a fair interpretation of what I’ve said. Regardless, you can twist and Interpret what I’ve said whatever way you like. But it’s gone way over your head and completely missing the point
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Normality means no masks and no restrictions, in any setting. That is called living with the virus, not letting it run us instead. 

Did you not get the memo, were apparently a restriction free society now Shocked
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 2:41pm
wearing masks , washing hands and social distancing will remain with us for a long while and their sensible measures. The virus is rampant at the moment throughout the country and indoor drinking and eating is the main reason ,
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 2:45pm

there is so many ok contradictions in your post there and yet you have given an example tangible impacts on your life from the restrictions at the moment.  It’s hilarious that you are lecturing that people should get on with their life even if a few Die because of covid as these things happen but then you are freaked out by a vaccine and it’s impact on over 12s. 

Look, that’s not a fair interpretation of what I’ve said. Regardless, you can twist and Interpret what I’ve said whatever way you like. But it’s gone way over your head and completely missing the point

You are moaning about restrictions on your freedoms yet you have not given one tangible example that has a serious impact on your life.   If wearing a mask is the best you can come up with god forbid.  We will probably be wearing masks (non compulsory) for many years like many people in asia.  

Hopefully there will be more opening soon and I think gigs and sporting occasions should open up esp as more and more are vaccinated.  Let’s hope there is a huge take up of the vaccines amongst the u18 and the return to schools is not an issue.  

The more you post on here the more you are sounding like a US libertarian.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Have two siblings living in NZ and just off the phone with one of them.

She expects they'll be in extended lock down for a month or so but as has been said, that's not a solution in itself. They have serious issues on vaccine supply and seem to have only bought Pfizer but not in quantities that are going to help them in the short term. Bizarre oversight given they've done so well for so long, but they can't close the place off forever.

Being in a bubble with Australia which is too big and accessible to keep it out means nz can't keep it out indefinitely. 

I vaguely remember the programme as being everybody gets Pfizer. Nice in theory. But what is nicer in theory and in practice is the maximum utilisation of all reputable vaccinations available, and the rapid roll-out of these vaccinations. I think the Government there have to be careful of how the discuss vaccinations, as the only way they can ensure they can fully re-open, in safety is if the population is vaccinated, which in turn will undoubtedly assist if any mistakes are made when people are entering. Their borders are easier to maintain than most other countries, but they have to avoid this 'stamp it out' thing, if they see it as more than just a short term plan.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

How's Britain doing wince it opened everything? And what's the average joe on the street's opinon of doing that?

Pretty much normality here, apart from some people still choosing to wear masks. Expecting a rise in cases late September / October when the schools go back so that is going to be the test to see if the living with covid approach works. Was at United v Leeds last weekend and you wouldn't know covid had ever happened, packed grounds, pubs and public transport.

+1

So far so good then. Are most of the public fully happy with it? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 7:02pm

Again, I’ve a list as long as my arm re things.  Look around you, Every day, it effects people, some in small ways, some in not so small ways. Either way, they all add up to not being back to normal and living freely again. 

Until things are as they were before, were curtailed in what we do and how we do things.

You know you don’t need everyone vaccinated to get back to normal or wait the the virus to go away (which it won’t)? Is that what you’re waiting for before being happy to have restrictions lifted?

All you needed was the vulnerable and a certain percentage vaccinated. Some people can’t get vaccinated. As for kids, they’ve always been considered low risk. I’ve no doubt my kids have had the virus with the amount of people they’ve been around that have had it (either that, or it doesn’t spread as easily as they say). 

I’ll do what I think is best for their health, thank you very much. A young girl was seriously sick in the Lourdes in drogheda last week after getting the vaccine. What people don’t know yet is if kids are more at risk getting the virus or the vaccine having an effect on them. I certainly won’t be taking a chance with my kids for a while.

Going way off the point anyway!

Give us your weekly examples of the restrictions you face that are so terrible? 

I'm trying to think what I did this week that annoyed me.
Forgot my mask, putting it on and off for quick interactions. Mildly annoying.
using hand sanitiser. No as i'd generally wash my hands regularly long before covid.

The rest of the week was this type of thing
I went on public transport.
i ate in a restaurant, went somewhere after and sat outside and had a couple of drinks. 
played two games of football. 
cycled around a bit. 

None of which I would describe as limiting my freedoms. 

Now if they start bringing in lockdowns again in the Autumn I would be really pissed off 

It would damage this forums' reputation
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

wearing masks , washing hands and social distancing will remain with us for a long while and their sensible measures. The virus is rampant at the moment throughout the country and indoor drinking and eating is the main reason ,

Great to have it back. Getting on with life Clap
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 7:39pm

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

+1

So far so good then. Are most of the public fully happy with it? 

As far as I can tell yes , nice to be able to get a pint at the bar counter - tube travel getting busier people out enjoying themselves 

Pretty much every who wants to be vaccinated is vaccinated 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 8:00pm
One of the great human rights abuses of our time.  Not being able to order a drink at a bar counter 😀

Jesus what difference does it make. 

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Aug 2021 at 8:00pm
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 743744745746747 839>
  Share Topic