You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 583584585586587 839>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

https://gript.ie/revealed-how-zero-covid-activists-deceived-politicians/

I wonder how they got a hold of this correspondence.
There should be an immediate ban for sharing any content or links from those scumbags.
Ouch debate the contents not the source. Gript is muck alright, but from reading the article it seems like they have sources. 
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:29pm

There should be an immediate ban for sharing any content or links from those scumbags.

The emails look legitimate, and they don’t reflect well on some of the celebrity experts who have had a very prominent platform on RTE to express their opinions.

Surely the correspondence is important, irrespective of the media platform reporting it?

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:31pm

Ouch debate the contents not the source. Gript is muck alright, but from reading the article it seems like they have sources. 
Won’t read anything from that platform. No way would I click on that link. They are absolute scum.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:48pm

Agree, Staines, Killeen and Co. are total zealots.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:54pm

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

It's gript. They either made it up, or copied someone else's work
I wouldn't be a fan of JMc or those of that persuasion but those emails look legit.

I've found the some of the zero covid thinking to be slightly cultish at times. Same with the open it up side too. Most debate these days, like on here seems to verge on extremes.
Yet the so called extremists have functioning, open societies

The so called extremists have been proven thoroughly correct while the self proclaimed adults in the room have proved to be extremists
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:59pm

What exactly is the problem with the contents?
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Well I think arguments should be made on evidence at the time not potentially conjecture?  Don't lobby on conjecture, lobby on evidence, facts! 

Edited by seanyshuffler - 24 Feb 2021 at 11:03pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Very true Seany. Nuance and the grey area is often bypassed and people take sides etc and don’t like to reach out to those they are disagreeing with. Entrenchment is the order of the day.  

Truth has become currency. 
But what about false nuance and false shades of grey?

They are not real nuance and real grey areas, they are attempts to cloud issues

Part of the problem with public discourse currently is that there is a massive tendency on the part of those who reject real nuance and real shades of grey to introduce false nuance and false shades of grey on matters which are pretty straightforward

Covid has been one of those

Europe and the west decided from the start that there would be nuance and shades of grey - and that decision has been disastrous 

Meanwhile those who were accused of rejecting nuance and shades of grey, the "extremists" of Asia, Australia and New Zealand, were proved correct
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:11pm
I think another issue with policy coming from people primarily from academia is that sometimes the recommendations don't suit the world at the moment or the world we live in. While all the data and the literature suggests this policy is the best outcome for society, that usually only takes one kind of view in. Usually others have competing views. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:19pm

Well I think arguments should be made on evidence at the time not potentially conjecture?  Don't lobby on conjecture, lobby on evidence, facts! 
There was strong evidence that the UK variant was a serious threat

It was not yet known whether the UK variant was a driver of the massive increase of cases at Christmas/New Year

But anybody who was ruling this out was not dealing with reality

It was obvious to experts that the UK variant was very real and more transmissible - and would soon become the dominant variant in Ireland, if it was not already

And indeed that is now the case

Did we ever work out exactly how much the UK variant was a driver of the massive rises in cases at Christmas/New Year? 

My recollection is that it was a driver, perhaps not a majority of cases but a significant driver nonetheless

You are arguing against a thing called the precautionary principle, which says you take preventative measures to stop very bad things happening

I'm still trying to work out what the problem with the messages was

It very much seems to me that is entirely a case of a desperate far right rag trying to make a "gotcha" story out of absolutely nothing - and for entirely bad faith far right political purposes

That rag is trying to focus on the words "may or may not be true" and portray them as if the Zero Covid people were deliberately lying to mislead the public - when the reality seems to be that they saw a massive and real problem and suspected that the UK variant was a major driver of that problem but were not sure

But what they were sure of was that the UK variant was a real problem

There seems to be no problem at all in the messaging between the Zero Covid people from what I can make out

Edited by sid waddell - 24 Feb 2021 at 11:45pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:24pm

Europe and the west decided from the start that there would be nuance and shades of grey - and that decision has been disastrous 

Meanwhile those who were accused of rejecting nuance and shades of grey, the "extremists" of Asia, Australia and New Zealand, were proved correct

But Asia came from a position of strength insofar as it has had to cope and manage with massive SARS related issues in the past. Based on past experience they have been able to utilise the strategy which is known to the population, and which has been ingrained in them, as good practice for many years. Also, Australia and New Zealand are entirely different kettles of fish, and while political strategy has played a role, so too has geo-political factors, which were not necessarily open (or relevant) to other parts of the world, in particular Europe. I'm not sure anybody of good faith would even consider calling them extremists. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:31pm

I think another issue with policy coming from people primarily from academia is that sometimes the recommendations don't suit the world at the moment or the world we live in. While all the data and the literature suggests this policy is the best outcome for society, that usually only takes one kind of view in. Usually others have competing views. 
But no policy to deal with Covid suits our pre-March 2020 world

Our world pre-March 2020 was an internationalist one, based hugely on foreign travel - but this could no longer continue

Certain countries looked at the situation and were clear headed in saying to themselves "OK, the pre-March 2020 world is gone, what can we do to crush the virus and keep it crushed, which would enable us to achieve a reasonable degree of normality - not pre-March 2020 normality, but a sort of normality which is sustainable in at least the medium term, until humanity comes up with a long term solution"

We never did that

We were faced with hard choices and chose to reject the hard choices

As a firm supporter of the concept of the EU, it kills me to say this but free movement was in massive opposition to achieving any kind of sustainable normality

So was foreign travel 

But we, and by we I mean Europe and the west, chose to stick with pre-March 2020 thinking, we just couldn't and wouldn't give up these things, we couldn't give up our old thinking

We never looked to achieve a sustainable quasi-normality, or asked ourselves what needed to be done to achieve it

That proved to be the greatest extremism

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

But Asia came from a position of strength insofar as it has had to cope and manage with massive SARS related issues in the past. Based on past experience they have been able to utilise the strategy which is known to the population, and which has been ingrained in them, as good practice for many years. Also, Australia and New Zealand are entirely different kettles of fish, and while political strategy has played a role, so too has geo-political factors, which were not necessarily open (or relevant) to other parts of the world, in particular Europe. I'm not sure anybody of good faith would even consider calling them extremists. 
But it's not enough to just say "Australia and New Zealand are different kettles of fish"

There's no inherent reason why they are - only man made ones

We decided foreign travel must be kept, with no quarantine

We decided free movement must stay

We never looked into how we could revamp freight

We never looked into how Australia managed movement between its various states, ie. Victoria and New South Wales

We were laissez faire

This is not a criticism of the Irish government in isolation, it's a criticism of the entire west

The west refused to accept that this virus could not be lived with - and therefore it was doomed to failure in its response right from the start

As I said, quarantine is now conventional wisdom and the public - who have been ahead of the government at pretty much every stage of the pandemic, are demanding it - but quarantine was previously derided as extremism

Zero Covid keeps winning the arguments

Edited by sid waddell - 24 Feb 2021 at 11:40pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:46pm

But it's not enough to just say "Australia and New Zealand are different kettles of fish"

We never looked into how Australia managed movement between its various states, ie. Victoria and New South Wales

We were laissez faire

This is not a criticism of the Irish government in isolation, it's a criticism of the entire west

The west refused to accept that this virus could not be lived with - and therefore it was doomed to failure in its response right from the start

As I said, quarantine is now conventional wisdom and the public - who have been ahead of the government at pretty much every stage of the pandemic, are demanding it - but quarantine was previously derided as extremism

Sorry Sid, but it is as simple as pointing to different geo-political, and social, and even seasonal factors. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be ludicrous to suggest that the EU has played a blinder, or anything close to it. But internal factors make things like quarantining a little harder to implement, let alone guarantee efficacy. I mentioned earlier how NZ has to play whack-a-mole in situations where cases get through and they end up needing localised lockdowns. Again, that cant be zero-covid, its highly robust-anti covid practice. There were undoubtedly things that could have been done, but the difficult point that remains is that given the land-mass, the non-homogenous states (in terms of membership of the EU), it would have been virtually impossible to create quarantine situations where there are no borders. It seems straightforward, but in NZ, where they are not entangled, it had all the geo-political factors going for it. As has been mentioned, Ireland is a tiny landmass, but with two states, and a common travel area with the UK.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:57pm

We were laissez faire

Sorry Sid, but it is as simple as pointing to different geo-political, and social, and even seasonal factors. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be ludicrous to suggest that the EU has played a blinder, or anything close to it. But internal factors make things like quarantining a little harder to implement, let alone guarantee efficacy. I mentioned earlier how NZ has to play whack-a-mole in situations where cases get through and they end up needing localised lockdowns. Again, that cant be zero-covid, its highly robust-anti covid practice. There were undoubtedly things that could have been done, but the difficult point that remains is that given the land-mass, the non-homogenous states (in terms of membership of the EU), it would have been virtually impossible to create quarantine situations where there are no borders. It seems straightforward, but in NZ, where they are not entangled, it had all the geo-political factors going for it. As has been mentioned, Ireland is a tiny landmass, but with two states, and a common travel area with the UK.
It's certainly impossible to do if you stick to pre-March 2020 thinking, as we have done

Yet EU countries are now closing borders - with pushback from the EU

The Good Friday Agreement, much as I support it, was also a hindrance to fighting this pandemic

So was the Common Travel Area

The problem was that all the assumptions which we viewed as beneficial pre-March 2020 suddenly became our enemy

And that was too much for Ireland and the west to deal with in terms of changing its thinking

We couldn't and wouldn't adapt

Edited by sid waddell - 24 Feb 2021 at 11:59pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:02am
There will be a life after covid and there is always the danger that if you strip away many of the things that were in place pre March 2020 due to covid that when the pandemic has passed that you will not be able to put them back in place as easy as one many think.  

Sid your style or debate always portrays that there is one simple solution that must be taken and that any other option is and then insert a whole host of cliches.  The real world of decision making doesn’t work like that as I am sure you well know if you have had to make big decisions. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:06am
But adapting is more difficult, when it involves matters of sensitivity, like the GFA, or indeed things like free movement, which have been a cornerstone of the EU. Ireland was in a particularly open position insofar as its obligations existed toothed EU states, and the UK. In reality, the chances of any sort of internal border are slim and none, and for important reasons. However, with a CTA, that also meant that we were contingent on another state and healthcare system to do its job.. As you did deeper and deeper into the geo-political realities, it becomes almost very difficult.

My point is, even in hindsight, given that Europe had not faced something like this (Asia had back in 2002) in recent times, and given the amount of political will and co-operation that would have been necessary from a wide number of nations, some not in the EU, it is easy to understand how in the post March 2020 environment government's and the EU didn't get their act together. Decisions like dropping guard at Christmas time, or becoming complacent in the late summer of last year are things that I find less forgivable.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

There will be a life after covid and there is always the danger that if you strip away many of the things that were in place pre March 2020 due to covid that when the pandemic has passed that you will not be able to put them back in place as easy as one many think.  

Sid your style or debate always portrays that there is one simple solution that must be taken and that any other option is and then insert a whole host of cliches.  The real world of decision making doesn’t work like that as I am sure you well know if you have had to make big decisions. 
You're straw manning again because you find it easier to debate that - that's what Qewan does 

Big decisions are called big decisions because they have big consequences

And the consequences of getting big decisions wrong have been very big both for the west and for Ireland

I don't think anybody can deny that at this stage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 583584585586587 839>
  Share Topic