You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 573574575576577 839>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

No 10pm rule on the pubs from May.

Let the herd immunity begin.

How can it be herd immunity if more than 50% of the population will be vaccinated by then?

1 dose is not vaccinating. Having 1 dose is a bit like necking half a pint, it's not achieving much and the response from ya mates is probably gonna be - 'What about the other half'

Boris' speech pretty confirmed herd immunity. He's opening everything up because the data he has been given has shown him it is impossible to reach zero-covid status

But 25M high risk people will have had 2 doses by end of April - that’s 33% of the population. 

Prob another 20M adults will have had one dose by mid May.

I wish I had your optimism.. I'm high risk and I don't have a letter yet for a first dose yet! 

And I'm not expected to get one until late-March so to think I'll get another dose 4 weeks later is overly-optimistic.

They are saying that everyone will have their first dose by mid July. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 4:40pm

How can it be herd immunity if more than 50% of the population will be vaccinated by then?

1 dose is not vaccinating. Having 1 dose is a bit like necking half a pint, it's not achieving much and the response from ya mates is probably gonna be - 'What about the other half'

Boris' speech pretty confirmed herd immunity. He's opening everything up because the data he has been given has shown him it is impossible to reach zero-covid status

But 25M high risk people will have had 2 doses by end of April - that’s 33% of the population. 

I wish I had your optimism.. I'm high risk and I don't have a letter yet for a first dose yet! 

And I'm not expected to get one until late-March so to think I'll get another dose 4 weeks later is overly-optimistic.

Again, it's like drinking half a pint.. 1 dose doesn't do much!

The main focus is on the 90-50 + people taking immunosuppressants etc.

Boris said it himself zero-COVID is impossible, to why he's opening even nightclubs back up. Auckland-style lockdowns when there's a new mutation they'll close an entire region and having on the spot COVID tests needed for a night out will be the new normal now.

If you get it, you get it. But then comes the issue of Long-Covid and how it'll need to be treated as a disability (hopefully!) so the 18-49 y/o's who do suffer from Long-Covid can rest it out without having to sign on sick pay
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

My prediction is that we will start opening up gradually from around June or July and that will be it with lockdowns
The vaccine is gonna drive numbers down and normal life will largely return by winter

I would largely agree with this. I think this Christmas will see pubs and restaurants rammed with no masks etc as the country is more or less completely vaccinated, but a continued restriction on international travel for much of 2022 until other countries are fully vaccinated also.

Hope you're right.

I can't see the pubs ever being the same again tbh. 

There really is no need for this type of negativity on this forum.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 4:44pm

You need to call your GP or book online. You should have been contacted already. Make sure they have you listed as high risk.

They expect to have all high risk , 25M done in the next 2-3 weeks with one dose and start on the 2nd round. 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 4:45pm

Again, it's like drinking half a pint.. 1 dose doesn't do much!

The main focus is on the 90-50 + people taking immunosuppressants etc.

Boris said it himself zero-COVID is impossible, to why he's opening even nightclubs back up. Auckland-style lockdowns when there's a new mutation they'll close an entire region and having on the spot COVID tests needed for a night out will be the new normal now.

If you get it, you get it. But then comes the issue of Long-Covid and how it'll need to be treated as a disability (hopefully!) so the 18-49 y/o's who do suffer from Long-Covid can rest it out without having to sign on sick pay

That isn't true though. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:05pm
results from Scotland show a big drop off of efficacy in the 1st dose after 4 weeks from 85% down to mid 60s and drops further by week by week.  I think the 12 week gap will prove to be a flawed policy imo.
AKA pedantic kunt
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:06pm
Full 60-page document. 

Behind a paywall but there'll versions of it elsewhere if you can find it; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9287511/Coronavirus-UK-Boris-Johnsons-60-page-roadmap-lockdown-full.html

100% of the population will never ever be fully vaccinated
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:06pm

The data from Israel is that 1 dose is a huge increase in been safe from covid. You can google this info as it has been covered a lot, once my parents have their first vaccination I will go back inside the house and won't be very cautious
It would damage this forums' reputation
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

My prediction is that we will start opening up gradually from around June or July and that will be it with lockdowns
The vaccine is gonna drive numbers down and normal life will largely return by winter

I would largely agree with this. I think this Christmas will see pubs and restaurants rammed with no masks etc as the country is more or less completely vaccinated, but a continued restriction on international travel for much of 2022 until other countries are fully vaccinated also.

This would be amazing but wouldn't be hopeful. Sure Leo or MM (can't remember it's hard to keep up!) was leaking last week about restrictions this winter. It sounded much more than keeping up mask wearing and social distance to me but would be delighted to be proved wrong. Yeah can't see International travel being up to 2019 levels for a good bit but if we got normality back in Ireland by the end of the year it would be great! Hospitals will probably be under pressure as usual without Covid being as big a problem  by then but I have little faith that this pandemic will see those problems solved sadly despite this being a blatant wake up call
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:10pm
don’t all the vaccines we use stop hospitalisation and serve Covid 100%
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Israel at 50% of the population vaccinated are opening back up, not quite fully. The data from that strategy should help other governments with their decision making.

MayoMark, at a guess when do you think we will have 50% vaccinated, 1st dose? 

Based on figures reported I've seen 100k per week up to April which would take us to half a million or so.

1.2 million per month April may and June which is 3.6 million.

Some of them will be second doses and some might be J and J one dose vaccines so it's hard to know. But I'd say by end of June we should have the 50%?

Thumbs Up 

My mother 78 was told that by her gp the 85s year olds started today and  that she should be getting here first jab in about 3-4 weeks 
It would damage this forums' reputation
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:15pm
Is it known whether a delay in the second dose makes that second dose less effective?

If it doesn't I don't really see a problem in that regard

Actually, wasn't there a study recently that said the Astra Zeneca vaccine was most effective when the second dose was given after 12 weeks?

What I am worried about, as a lay person, is if the technique of delayed second doses might somehow heighten the chances of new some super resistant variant emerging

But I do not have the knowledge to know whether my fears are justified or groundless

Edited by sid waddell - 22 Feb 2021 at 5:15pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

"There is no evidence to suggest that lockdown is having an effect on Covid"

Also:

"There is no evidence to suggest the earth is not flat"

Great, well done. Two ironies here:
1) Your reference to the time of the flat earth thinking is apt; the same people who followed the authorities blindly at the time, rather than facts/science, were proven incorrect.
2) I've seen you write essays on other threads where nobody's is even speaking to you, yet the best you can muster is this condescending 3 line dismissal.

Clap

A three line dismissal of you is two lines too much

Clap away for yourself

Not sure what sort of a debate somebody who says lockdowns have no effect on Covid spread deserves

It's flat out trolling

That's all you've got...scoffing.

ClapClapClap

I work as a gastroenterology registrar, and I manage the Covid-19 high dependency when on call. That doesn't make my view any more relevant but it does give an insight into why I'm asking the questions. 

I've seen at 3 late oesophageal cancers and 2 colorectal cancers in the past month missed because of postponed endoscopies, anecdotally I've heard many more. Last Monday a woman had to be ushered away from clinic because she was too distressed by covid fear, couldn't do the consultation. Nearly everyone patient I speak to (the majority by phone - god knows what is being missed) is anxious/stressed/depressed by the current situation. These things are the tip of the iceberg in terms of lockdown effects, with the already marginalised in society suffering even more.

If we are doing this to people, it's our obligation to understand why we are doing it and to be sure we can justify it.

I'm not outright dismissing lockdown, it may have some small impact but there's currently not enough to justify the harm caused. I'm especially concerned by the fact that we can't even speak about the merits of it without ridicule from clowns like you.

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

beavis is a long time poster on foot.ie and ybig and is far from a troll.  Don’t agree with him in this topic but I don’t think it’s fair to call him a troll.  

Cheers BaldieThumbs Up 

No bother beavis.  That cancer happens to be close to me so totally understand your concern and I think you have debated with good faith on this and certainly didn’t deserve to be ridiculed imo.  I certainly think you can support the lockdowns but be rightly concerned about screening and biopsies and other medical procedures that need to take place. 

If my cancer was to reoccur it is most likely to be found on a chest x-Ray I get either every 3-6 months. My last appointment and next one is done over the phone which is a complete waste of time as they won't get to see the area that was affected in person or the X-Ray. I would hope and expect that they would find nothing anyway but if this sort of thing is widespread  for a long period of time then you would have to worry the amount of people that are not getting diagnosed as quickly as they could. It's a fine balancing act between keeping hospital levels manageable and not having a one track view about Covid and realising the severity and dangers that other illnesses present.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:24pm
Exactly bronze.  Anyone who paints this as a simple decision not a tight rope act for these sort of issues is simply nburying their head in the sand. 

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Feb 2021 at 6:00pm
AKA pedantic kunt
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

If my cancer was to reoccur it is most likely to be found on a chest x-Ray I get either every 3-6 months. My last appointment and next one is done over the phone which is a complete waste of time as they won't get to see the area that was affected in person or the X-Ray. I would hope and expect that they would find nothing anyway but if this sort of thing is widespread  for a long period of time then you would have to worry the amount of people that are not getting diagnosed as quickly as they could. It's a fine balancing act between keeping hospital levels manageable and not having a one track view about Covid and realising the severity and dangers that other illnesses present.
Being anti-lockdown is very much the one track view

It's like pushing a trolley up the line into the path of an oncoming express train

You can't sort all the other problems unless you're sorting Covid 

While Covid remains a problem unsorted, every other problem will fester and get worse

Some other countries realised this early, but most, including Ireland, didn't

Edited by sid waddell - 22 Feb 2021 at 5:55pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:08pm

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Being anti-lockdown is very much the one track view

It's like pushing a trolley up the line into the path of an oncoming express train

You can't sort all the other problems unless you're sorting Covid 

While Covid remains a problem unsorted, every other problem will fester and get worse

Some other countries realised this early, but most, including Ireland, didn't

I'm not anti - lockdown but things need to start opening slowly when the time is right. I fel their outlook is a little over cautious but hopefully that will change soon. A one track view of focusing on Covid and nothing else though is equally as dangerous long term. Keeping hospital numbers manageable with it is the big thing and that should allow small parts of society to be opened. Keeping everything in lockdown in case of X, Y and Z I don't feel is the way to go and the one I feel they are going to do. Tbf it's a horrible situation for the government and they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:21pm
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1363881302483759104

More from the 60 page document from Boris.

UK Gov only intend to fully vaccinate 66% of its population. In other words, if you're 18-49 with no issues, you aint getting 2 doses.

Edited by coyne - 22 Feb 2021 at 6:22pm
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:26pm
How much of that other 34% includes people who will refuse the vaccine?
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 573574575576577 839>
  Share Topic