You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 501502503504505 839>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Why can’t vaccines be made in tablet form?
When they develop a new drug normally it takes 2 years or more to get to market. Say after a year they have it "working", they then spend more time figuring out ways to make it easier to take. With the Covid vaccine, another year might have meant Pfizer got it down to 1 jab, be able to be stored at room temperature or even in pill format. With the emergency this time tho there was no time for that, so they just applied to have the quickest one manufactured.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

When they develop a new drug normally it takes 2 years or more to get to market. Say after a year they have it "working", they then spend more time figuring out ways to make it easier to take. With the Covid vaccine, another year might have meant Pfizer got it down to 1 jab, be able to be stored at room temperature or even in pill format. With the emergency this time tho there was no time for that, so they just applied to have the quickest one manufactured.
👍
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

How's your dad getting on Sid? 
As of yesterday we are told he is doing well, they say he is "clinically well"

Yesterday was Day 6, he tested positive on January 2nd

We have had no news today, the hospital hasn't rung and we couldn't get through, that's just the way it is

Day 7 on is when the sh*t gets really serious though, so the next few days will either see him start to sink or swim, as much as he can do that, he's never been a good swimmer

Worried about whether his kidneys can handle things though, so much stuff can go wrong

Reading a Twitter thread by a guy called Padraic Kierans who has it quite bad would strike fear into ya

How's your Dad doing now Sid?
He's gone downhill a bit over the last couple days I'm afraid Podge. They think he has a touch of pneumonia, he's off his food and sleeping a lot, the doctor said they were going to put a tube in his nose to feed him and he's already on IV for fluids. They're not certain if it's Covid associated or aspiration pneumomia - where you get an infection due to food going down the wrong way - he did have a touch of this back in early November when he was in hospital before but he recovered well from that. We're told his blood oxygen levels are good, but my feeling is the pneumonia is probably Covid related, he's on Day 10 so that would be consistent with a classic progression of the disease, so we can only wait and hope really, even if he gets through it he probably would have a long recovery road ahead of him, and unfortunately he's not in the best position anyway to sustain a journey like that. 

I saw on Twitter that former Mayo player Conor Mortimer's Dad passed away with what seems to be hospital acquired Covid - he was in the same hospital as my Dad, UCHG. Very sad and hits close to home for me. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 9:07pm
Sorry to hear that Sid
Hopefully he comes through it 
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 10:13pm

The flu vaccine they give kids is now a nasal spray.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:17am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Tentatively good news that it appears the case numbers are starting level off, however our hospitals are facing into the abyss over the next 2 weeks according to Nephet. Modelling now predicting up to 400 cases in ICU and upto 2,500 hospitalisations at the peak. 

This would be the same modelling as the famous "15k cases by the end of March" I assume? I hoped that model would be long since in the bin. 

Cheers Zk and Eire.

Good info 

I have always thought this vaccine would be rolled out quicker than they were saying. I think we will be in a very strong position by the end of March. Like Pipkin, I'm optimistic!

The numbers now are so dreadful though it's very hard to be positive.

It's very hard to be positive when we want them to be negative. 

Even at this point, approx 80% of all weekly tests are, "move along folks nothing to see here". Doesn't quite make as many headlines as "20% POSITIVE" though.

Just read on another forum, that getting the vaccine doesn't stop you getting the virus or passing it on. A vaccine against this, or any virus, is supposed to make you immune to it. If not, why bother? Confused

Maybe the J&J one jab job will do the trick. Whenever it shows up. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:37am
Why bother?   Eh because it might help save lives and also stop people getting very sick and hospitals can go back.to treating other illnesses. 
AKA pedantic kunt
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:53am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Tentatively good news that it appears the case numbers are starting level off, however our hospitals are facing into the abyss over the next 2 weeks according to Nephet. Modelling now predicting up to 400 cases in ICU and upto 2,500 hospitalisations at the peak. 

This would be the same modelling as the famous "15k cases by the end of March" I assume? I hoped that model would be long since in the bin. 

Cheers Zk and Eire.

Good info 

I have always thought this vaccine would be rolled out quicker than they were saying. I think we will be in a very strong position by the end of March. Like Pipkin, I'm optimistic!

Even at this point, approx 80% of all weekly tests are, "move along folks nothing to see here". Doesn't quite make as many headlines as "20% POSITIVE" though.

Just read on another forum, that getting the vaccine doesn't stop you getting the virus or passing it on. A vaccine against this, or any virus, is supposed to make you immune to it. If not, why bother? Confused

Stay off Parler

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 13 Jan 2021 at 8:54am
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:01am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

He's gone downhill a bit over the last couple days I'm afraid Podge. They think he has a touch of pneumonia, he's off his food and sleeping a lot, the doctor said they were going to put a tube in his nose to feed him and he's already on IV for fluids. They're not certain if it's Covid associated or aspiration pneumomia - where you get an infection due to food going down the wrong way - he did have a touch of this back in early November when he was in hospital before but he recovered well from that. We're told his blood oxygen levels are good, but my feeling is the pneumonia is probably Covid related, he's on Day 10 so that would be consistent with a classic progression of the disease, so we can only wait and hope really, even if he gets through it he probably would have a long recovery road ahead of him, and unfortunately he's not in the best position anyway to sustain a journey like that. 

I saw on Twitter that former Mayo player Conor Mortimer's Dad passed away with what seems to be hospital acquired Covid - he was in the same hospital as my Dad, UCHG. Very sad and hits close to home for me. 

Sorry to hear Sid, he's in my thoughts and fingers crossed he gets through this!
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:02am

And when that's available they will still wait until the original patent runs out before offering the new drug to the market. In general big Pharma are scum.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:05am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Cheers Zk and Eire.

Good info 

Just read on another forum, that getting the vaccine doesn't stop you getting the virus or passing it on. A vaccine against this, or any virus, is supposed to make you immune to it. If not, why botherConfused

Some thicks in this world jesus wept.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:06am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

And when that's available they will still wait until the original patent runs out before offering the new drug to the market. In general big Pharma are scum.
Some of the most evil people in  the planet.

Best wishes to your father, Sid. Keep fighting the good fight.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Why bother?   Eh because it might help save lives and also stop people getting very sick and hospitals can go back.to treating other illnesses. 

The fact that this has to be explained to an adult is frightening.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:49am
7000 HSE staff out currently. 
Jack City View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:07am
Anyone hear Steven Donnelly on Pat Kenny a hour ago,he said people from 1 to 12 on the vaccine list should be vaccinated by the end of June.Which means people aged 55 and over.The last 3 sections on the list, people under 55 should be vaccinated by the end of September.He said Pfizer are to supply a extra 2 million doses and the Oxford vaccine should be here next month.Great news if he's right.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Jack City Jack City wrote:

Anyone hear Steven Donnelly on Pat Kenny a hour ago,he said people from 1 to 12 on the vaccine list should be vaccinated by the end of June.Which means people aged 55 and over.The last 3 sections on the list, people under 55 should be vaccinated by the end of September.He said Pfizer are to supply a extra 2 million doses and the Oxford vaccine should be here next month.Great news if he's right.

Great news. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:06pm
anyone use
https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/ireland-vaccine-queue

Im 47 no other factors I wont get 2nd dose till between
10/25/2021 and 6/9/2022.
Getting old and intolerant
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

anyone use

Im 47 no other factors I wont get 2nd dose till between
10/25/2021 and 6/9/2022.

Used it yesterday, wouldnt take it too seirously, I got anywhere form April 2021 til July 2022 when using it and changing the parameters 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 501502503504505 839>
  Share Topic