You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 428429430431432 839>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Think schools back have made a huge impact on the number spikes. We seen them low in summer, then gradually get bigger and jump when education  started in full swing. The numbers dropped a lot when kids were off but now levelled out that they are back. 

Think its going to be too hard to get down  too 100 cases a day while  schools stay open 

I hear people say this about the schools but is there any real evidence to suggest this? I dont hear NPHET saying much about the schools. Im not saying cases arent happening in schools but they dont seem to be a huge problem.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

What are peoples thoughts on the scenes at the weekend with people drinking outdoors?

While I suppose it's not on I do find it strange for the government to single these kind of things out.

It seems like it's being used as deflection. Two weeks left of level 5 and we haven't a hope of getting things to 50 cases days. I'd say the best we can hope is for 200 or so. 
100% on the Government

Couldn't fault the drinkers at all

Embarrassed

No such thing as being personally responsible anymore if the powers that be are in anyway culpable. It's nice to have a get-out-of-jail free card from any moral, social and/or civic responsibilities to the rest of society.  

You have to keep going with this irresponsible behaviour among some members of the general public Sid because some football fans you supported and a tory government across the sea were doing it. LOL

My position is entirely consistent

I didn't criticise the students in Galway, they were well within their rights

Same with the Liverpool and Leeds supporters

Same with these drinkers - sure the pubs were serving pints to them legally!

Your position is all over the place and quite obviously not concerned with any sort of honest debating - you're only concerned with trying to score points off me because I quite correctly called you out over what you said regarding Van Jones, and you're still seething over it

You're also now running with the right wing corporate phraseology of "personal responsibility" - it could have come straight from the mouth of a Tory

That's very telling

The people who have the "personal responsibility" here are the lawmakers and politicians - it's up to them to draft laws and lead by example

Some of your posts lately have had a fierce bang of gammon off them

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Nov 2020 at 11:01pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 10:59pm
Schools plus the lockdown is no lockdown.  I see loads of non essential shops open getting round the rules.  I've seen niche bakeries open selling fancy cakes, florists, dry cleaners, Currys,  Harvey Norman, McDonalds, etc all open.

This is no lockdown.  Its life as normal except you cant go into some shops and collect at the door.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:10pm

I know it can be avoided and there are current restrictions, but obviously they were not hanging out of each other and the guards were willing to go easy and just rather encourage them to finish up their drink and leave and the people done it so no issues. Guards are obviously losing their patience with the hard restrictions. 

Its very hard for people not to have that meet up and if you can do it in a respectful way and have a coffee or a pint outdoors then really what is the crime or issue. You can already see with numbers no longer dropping that people are also impatient now with these hard restrictions. Longer it goes on, more people will break rules
The rules aren't hard enough

Certain places identified an end goal, identified a means to get there, and went for it

New Zealand did it, the state government of Victoria (Melbourne and surrounds) did it

Their end goal was virus elimination

There was no f**king around, they said it would be a slog, they said "this is the medicine", and they ruthlessly went for it

And they were successful

That's what should have been done here and in Britain but politicians are too petrified and too interested in public opinion to rule in any way effectively

Europe and the US failed to deal with this crisis

Different countries failed for different reasons - we failed because our government cannot govern, Britain and the US failed because they're run by apocalyptic death cults

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Nov 2020 at 11:11pm
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:15pm
I think we're doing very well to our peers. 

What's our goal? 

To keep cases down you basically have to close off most of the economy for a sustained period of time.

To keep deaths down you need to protect the most vulnerable.

We have closed down a good chunk of society but still can't get the second part right. 

I don't blame people drinking on the streets or standing on a roundabout for that. The second part is down to ineffective policy. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:27pm

What are peoples thoughts on the scenes at the weekend with people drinking outdoors?

While I suppose it's not on I do find it strange for the government to single these kind of things out.

It seems like it's being used as deflection. Two weeks left of level 5 and we haven't a hope of getting things to 50 cases days. I'd say the best we can hope is for 200 or so. 
100% on the Government

Embarrassed

No such thing as being personally responsible anymore if the powers that be are in anyway culpable. It's nice to have a get-out-of-jail free card from any moral, social and/or civic responsibilities to the rest of society.  

You have to keep going with this irresponsible behaviour among some members of the general public Sid because some football fans you supported and a tory government across the sea were doing it. LOL

Your position is all over the place and quite obviously not concerned with any sort of honest debating - you're only concerned with trying to score points off me because I quite correctly called you out over what you said regarding Van Jones, and you're still seething over it

You're also now running with the right wing corporate phraseology of "personal responsibility" - it could have come straight from the mouth of a Tory

That's very telling

The people who have the "personal responsibility" here are the lawmakers and politicians - it's up to them to draft laws and lead by example

Sid mo chara, we agreed to disagree on Van Jones's reaction. Believe me, I'm not seething over it in any way. I will be seething if Bulgaria wins tomorrow night mind.  

You're projecting mate which is one of the things the right-wing is known for. 

Yes, your position is consistently hypocritical. You condemn others but ignore when it's your side or your causes not adhering to social distancing. 

I know the right wing in the U.S. likes to use personal responsibility against vulnerable people when it suits them but over here in Europe the Leeds, Liverpool fans & more recent gobsh*tes gathering in Dublin city centre the other night  are personally responsible for their own behaviour which if it hasn't already happened will affect others.  

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:28pm

What's our goal? 

To keep cases down you basically have to close off most of the economy for a sustained period of time.

We have closed down a good chunk of society but still can't get the second part right. 

I don't blame people drinking on the streets or standing on a roundabout for that. The second part is down to ineffective policy. 

Our problem is there isn't really a clear goal at all

With our policies - which are less bad than that of the Brits and the Swedes and the Yanks - you just get a yo-yo situation

Our policies are based on the primacy of the economy over public health and the idea that the public cannot be told the truth about what is needed, because the truth is too painful

The government has never had the stomach to do what is needed to get to where we need to be 

That means that clear and effective policy cannot happen, and another bout of Level 5 after Christmas is all but inevitable

July and August was a massive missed opportunity as we were in the position where we could have got to where we needed to be then - but the government here did what the state government of Victoria rightly refused to do - and that was listen to business lobby groups and right wing grifters in the media

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:30pm

Think schools back have made a huge impact on the number spikes. We seen them low in summer, then gradually get bigger and jump when education  started in full swing. The numbers dropped a lot when kids were off but now levelled out that they are back. 

Think its going to be too hard to get down  too 100 cases a day while  schools stay open 

Waffler.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:34pm

100% on the Government

Embarrassed

That's very telling

Sid mo chara, we agreed to disagree on Van Jones's reaction. Believe me, I'm not seething over it in any way. I will be seething if Bulgaria wins tomorrow night mind.  

You're projecting mate which is one of the things the right-wing is known for. 

Yes, your position is consistently hypocritical. You condemn others but ignore when it's your side or your causes not adhering to social distancing. 

I know the right wing in the U.S. likes to use personal responsibility against vulnerable people when it suits them but over here in Europe the Leeds, Liverpool fans & more recent gobsh*tes gathering in Dublin city centre the other night  are personally responsible for their own behaviour which if it hasn't already happened will affect others.  

We didn't agree to disagree

You agreed to continue to be wrong

Nobody has been able to point out any hypocrisy at all in my position, because there is none - my position is nuanced and full of common sense

I have no interest in blaming ordinary people who go about their business in the absence of leadership

Where I have the problem is in the lack of leadership and governance from the government and certain civil society organisations like the GAA, and the disinformation peddlers

You're doing the exact thing the right wing in the US do which is to blame ordinary people when they are not the people to blame 

Responsibility lies with those tasked with policy making and example setting
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Waffler.

Sorry, what? LOL
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:47pm

What's our goal? 

With our policies - which are less bad than that of the Brits and the Swedes and the Yanks - you just get a yo-yo situation

Our policies are based on the primacy of the economy over public health and the idea that the public cannot be told the truth about what is needed, because the truth is too painful

The government has never had the stomach to do what is needed to get to where we need to be 

That means that clear and effective policy cannot happen, and another bout of Level 5 after Christmas is all but inevitable

July and August was a massive missed opportunity as we were in the position where we could have got to where we needed to be then - but the government here did what the state government of Victoria rightly refused to do - and that was listen to business lobby groups and right wing grifters in the media

All of Europe has adopted the same strategy to be fair. I don't particularly agree with trying to get a near 0 covid as for one thing we don't have the tracing capacity to back track the disease. Personally I think we should use technology to do this (mobile phones) but it probably wouldn't get much support in a gdpr world. 

I'm more frustrated in the lack of evidence in decision making. Apparently household transmission is the biggest driver of this Yet the government close restaurants and bars etc.

It would be a lot easier to see how household transmission came about if you could detect patterns in peoples movements. I'm not on about joe blogs was in resturant x on Monday but more 20 people were in the same small area on Monday.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:59pm

What's our goal? 

All of Europe has adopted the same strategy to be fair. I don't particularly agree with trying to get a near 0 covid as for one thing we don't have the tracing capacity to back track the disease. Personally I think we should use technology to do this (mobile phones) but it probably wouldn't get much support in a gdpr world. 

I'm more frustrated in the lack of evidence in decision making. Apparently household transmission is the biggest driver of this Yet the government close restaurants and bars etc.

It would be a lot easier to see how household transmission came about if you could detect patterns in peoples movements. I'm not on about joe blogs was in resturant x on Monday but more 20 people were in the same small area on Monday.
We were down to single figures in the summer

That was a position where you could have pushed for elimination

There were no soft power overtures to the North or to the Brits or to the Europeans about what was needed

Everybody just went their own way, doing their own thing, all doing the wrong thing, in Europe at any rate

Within Europe, there were those who did things less wrong, quelle surprise it was the Finns and the Norwegians and the Danes

The irony is that a policy which was supposed to protect the economy will do exactly the opposite 

That's no surprise at all - business lobby groups are not epidemiologists

While New Zealand and Australia have opened up with a reasonable expectation that they will be able to continue pretty much indefinitely in this way - and if they do get outbreaks, they have a much better chance to ruthlessly crush them quickly

We'll have five or six weeks of Level 2 from December 2nd or so, because, ooh, Christmas, ah shure we couldn't shut down for Christmas, then cases will be back to over a thousand daily by January 10th or so, and back into Level 5 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:35am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I hear people say this about the schools but is there any real evidence to suggest this? I dont hear NPHET saying much about the schools. Im not saying cases arent happening in schools but they dont seem to be a huge problem.

You also don't hear NPHET saying much about where the actual live cases have been coming from for months; DP centres, meat processing plants, factories in Cork/Waterford, etc. 

In terms of case numbers, schools have now overtaken community transmission (which was vague umbrella term anyway, possibly use because their track and trace system was an utter failure), and are just behind residential, nursing homes, and other workplaces.

October has seen the biggest spike in general, and among the 5-18 age range. Positive case from 31/10-13/11 were highest among this age range. Now where would this age range be spending the majority of their day I wonder?

But yeah, schools aren't a big problem. 

*All this data is taken from the HSPC.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:49am
Of course it’s spreading in the schools.

The government called a level 5 the week leading into a midterm break. Cases would inevitably go down and they would get their applause for doing the hard thing. You got to admire their timing on that one Clap
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:54am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

The government called a level 5 the week leading into a midterm break. Cases would inevitably go down and they would get their applause for doing the hard thing. You got to admire their timing on that one Clap

So they are masking the numbers spread in schools? 

Not disagreeing by the way, curious as to your thoughts on the above given your missus is at the coalface. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Not disagreeing by the way, curious as to your thoughts on the above given your missus is at the coalface. 

Start by looking at the numbers. When schools are open cases rise. When they close they fall. 

Edited by BabbsBalls - 18 Nov 2020 at 9:06am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:06am

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Start by looking at the numbers. When schools are open cases rise. When they close the fall. 

I get that argument. But whilst I havent dug deep into the numbers, havent there been recordings of cases in schools and they havent been off the richter? 

Is there a suggestion that the cases arent accurate as kids just pass it on and feel feck all themselves? 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:08am
Go dig for your numbers. They tell all you need to know 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 428429430431432 839>
  Share Topic