You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 411412413414415 839>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

I had cans with mates, something we were all comfortable with. We’ll do it again - the plan is to meet fortnightly. A couple of the lads struggle with mental health issues and have struggled with the isolation of recent months. I’d prefer meet up with them and live life as normal as normal as possible.

JS - why can't you and your mates have cans over Zoom/another video chat?

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:00pm
One positive case on a flight into Ireland has led to 59 additional cases.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

I had cans with mates, something we were all comfortable with. We’ll do it again - the plan is to meet fortnightly. A couple of the lads struggle with mental health issues and have struggled with the isolation of recent months. I’d prefer meet up with them and live life as normal as normal as possible.

They're afraid their computers will pick up a virus
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:26pm

Because it is sh*te? I would rather just have the cans anyway.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

To be fair you did have to listen to the Waterford Willy 
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

To be fair you did have to listen to the Waterford Willy 
LOL
It just isn't for me. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Swift and Babbs agree with masks and social distancing, hand washing etc but also think its a good idea to invite 6 friends over to the house for cans. Dumb and Dumber.

TJ, they have the choice if they want to risk getting a mild flu and bring it into their household. I doubt they would take that risk if they have someone vulnerable in the house. They wear a mask in case they have picked it up somewhere and to help stop the spread to others. That is the reality that most people are basing their behaviour off of

Do people really need this explained to them at this stage???

So these people at this party can get it but magically won't give it to anyone else is it?

Mr. Dime Bar logic:  ''I can make my own decision to drink and drive.  It's all  a load of bollix.  If I want to risk my life it's up to me.' If peopel are scared of gettign killed when they take to the road let them stay at home''  Dime Bar then hasn't the mental capacity to forsee killing a mother and child in a car they plough into.  Cue vacant look on Dime Bar's face.

Swift is probably one of those weirdos that washes his hands before taking a sh*t but not after and can't see how illogical that is. He hears you should wash your hands when using the toilet and thinks he is practising good hygiene etiquette. 

There is no hope for this country.

People drink and drove for years before the law was enforced. People used their own judgement and majority were fine. Of course it is dangerous and you and others can be quickly killed and should not be risked.
Difference with COVID is that it’s not really that dangerous and chances of you passing it onto someone and harm coming to that person is very very small. The flu seems to be as dangerous, only real difference is that it’s more contagious because we don’t have immune system to it. 
This is pure nonsense

Flu season numbers from January seemed quite comparable in terms of admissions to ICU to deaths. 
Long term effects related to COVID I don’t know if this is proven yet or if it’s any different to others upper respiratory infections. 
230k dead from Covid in the US

Can you point me to a flu season where 230k or anywhere remotely near it died in the US

Also we don't put restrictions in place for flu seasons to stop the spread so comparisons of numbers are not based on like for like

I am talking about how dangerous it is for people who get it. I said the issue with COVID is that it is so contagious because we have no immune to it yet. 
More people that get it the more risk of admissions etc. 
But if you compare the admissions, to icu to deaths in Ireland in January of this year to COVID then then the numbers are quite comparable. Which leads me to believe it’s not more dangerous as an illness but just the contagiousness is the issue we are dealing with.

Listen, I’m in the boat that we cant let it run wild. We need to take measures to limit to spread so it doesn’t tear through our elders but let’s not dress it up to be worse than it is. I know people that had it and they said it was the mildest flu they ever had. 
First of all, you can't divide the amount of people who die from something from how dangerous it is

Secondly, the WHO, Fauci etc. are all in agreement that Covid is more dangerous for those who get it than flu is

This is NOT flu, so let's once and for all dispense with the ludicrous right wing talking point that it is

It’s nothing to do with politics. I know it’s not flu but the health risks if you catch it are more related to the flu than they are of getting hit by a drunk driver in a car or catching aids off someone, as was referenced earlier when talking about people taking risks with meeting people.
I will be interested to see how the final analysis when it’s all said and done, how deadly it is compared to other pandemics, outbreaks, seasonal flu. At the moment I don’t think we have that final analysis. What we do have is a health emergency and we need to react accordingly. I don’t agree with having people around for cans but I can apply logic why some people would, even if I don’t fully agree with the actions.
I am always very interested into what the HSE are saying and generally the feedback since the cases increased is it’s not yet at critical mass, it’s generally stable. Hopefully it comes down so we can try and find the right balance between locking down and freedom to live and earn 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:13pm
between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually in the USA from flu. According to the CDC

225k deaths from flu in 7 months. 

It is in no way comparable or even worth being brought up in conversation!! 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually in the USA from flu. According to the CDC

COVID is more contagious as we have no immune. More people have got it and why the numbers are that high. 
My point was when you have it, the risks do not appear to be much worse than flu, for majority anyway

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:32pm
the big difference is we don’t have a vaccine for it.   We have one for flu and it still kills.  I suspect it will be the same with covid but the numbers will be vastly reduced due to the vaccine. 

Edited by Baldrick - 25 Oct 2020 at 5:33pm
AKA pedantic kunt
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:56pm

Theres a vaccine for the flue mark . 
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

For arguments sake, if the common flue just arrived in China last year and the rest of the world shortly after it’s very likely we would do the exact same thing. RTE giving us daily figures on flue cases, deaths, hospital admissions etc. . A flue tracing app for everyone. It’s not too far fetched.. 

As I said yesterday. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:02pm

For arguments sake, if the common flue just arrived in China last year and the rest of the world shortly after it’s very likely we would do the exact same thing. RTE giving us daily figures on flue cases, deaths, hospital admissions etc. . A flue tracing app for everyone. It’s not too far fetched.. 

As I said yesterday. It is very much comparable in terms of how we would react to it being new. It isn’t . We know about it and how to resonably contain it . 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:05pm

Theres a vaccine for the flue mark . 

The lack of the vaccine for covid is the crucial point though.   Whether flu without a vaccine and covid without a vaccine are equal or not is an academic point because we do have one for flu and do not have one for covid.   As a result that had a massive impact on the spread of the virus and also how lethal it is as typically the people who die from flu are a very similar demographic who are dying from
Covid. 

Edited by Baldrick - 25 Oct 2020 at 6:28pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:23pm
Yep. From talking to relatives who work in hospitals many deaths from covid are to people who, for want of a better term, are on their last legs. A common cold can be the death knell for an old person. Of course you cant say the flue and covid are equal. But either can you say they arent comparable, as mark did.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:26pm
Would people here take he covid vaccination?

I personally wouldn't.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I personally wouldn't.

If it’s certified by the relevant authority within the EU I would.  
AKA pedantic kunt
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I personally wouldn't.

I wouldn't be in a rush anyway. See what the level of side effects are. If chances of a side effect are similar to current vaccines then I would have no problem getting it. Suppose it would depend at the time the prevalence of the virus in the country to see if I felt I needed it or not
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 411412413414415 839>
  Share Topic