You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 340341342343344 839>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

"Celebs" reflect society
Have heard dozens of people coming out with all sorts of tripe about the virus the past few months, whether that's friends, people in WhatsApp groups or people I've been dealing with in work. Things like its a conspiracy theory, it only affects the elderly and sick, no-one is dying so its ok, there isn't that many deaths, they're putting COVID on all death certificates when people die of something else, its a disgrace i've to wear a face mask etc

Its no surprise that ex footballers, celebrities or people in the public eye are coming out with the same thing. It reflects society. Some will have one view others will have another.

As Kevin Bridges says about what should have been done with Trump in the early stages, you treat them like a drunk in a bar ranting and raving. Pat them on the shoulder and say enjoy your night and move on.
(obviously a metaphorical shoulder tap given the social distancing)

No point getting upset or obsessed about them. At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion

‘Everyone is entitled to their opinion’ 

Yet your post is mocking people who have a opinion.

If people do not want to take the news for gospel that’s their choice, I would not be putting everyone into the same bracket of ‘tinfoil hats’ that choose not to.

Not everything you are told is true, is it really that hard to understand? 

My point is people yes are entitled to their opinion. I will listen to it and move on, i won't hate them for it. Won't even dislike them tbh, whether I think their opinion is a load of sh*te or not

My point originated from the obsession and hatred starting up towards the likes of Matt Le Tissier and today Jamie O'Hara for taking a particular view. Its hardly news that some celebrities take one view on the global pandemic and others take another view.

It is completely bizarre behaviour to start getting angry on the internet or feeling bitter towards and obsessed with Matt Le Tissier because he thinks the lockdown restrictions are too harsh, IMO, for example
Unfortunately celebrities with harmful and idiotic opinions is a key conduit for stupidity and indeed bigotry in society as a whole

I really don't know how people don't get this stuff

Le Tissier can have no problem with being sacked by Sky - he promoted what is basically a far right rally - it's obvious his harmful and dangerous opinions are why they sacked him - they should have been honest enough to say so

You can have free speech but it is not without consequences, employers and indeed social media platforms are under no obligation to broadcast these horrible opinions, in the case of those that do, which sadly is most of them, they do so because it helps their profit margin

‘Horrible opinions’ maybe they think your opinion is horrible? 
Well you obviously do

So please point out what exactly you think is horrible about my opinions

Don't leave us hanging, like
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

https://fullfact.org/online/suicide-200-percent/

It's unquestionable that lockdowns can and have had impacts on people's mental health, but I find the use of it by the most selfish in society to suit an agenda here to be pretty disgusting. As if Captain Wiggum gives a f**k about anyone's mental health but his own!

I also think that we need to remember that modern life outwith lockdown has been the major factor in creating a mental health crisis. If we are to learn anything from this year it is that we are not living life right. It should be taken as a warning for us all to readjust our existence. It should be seen as an opportunity for change. This clamour to get everyone back into the office from some quarters, including the ****s in charge here, shows we haven't learned anything. Boris Johnson is still shouting at Rowdy Roddy Peeper on the television because he wants to save plastic sandwiches. City centres no longer need to be work places, they can return to being places to live and being cultural centres. It's an opportunity for massive urban social improvement that benefits everyone and that would have huge benefits for people's mental well-being. 

On the subject of mental health, it was wonderful to see New Zealand put the funding in place for something that has been needed everywhere for years: qualified mental health staff in GPS surgeries. So much time and money is wasted and lives ruined by the frustration that's borne out of the equivalent of going to a dentist with your sick dog. It will end up saving them a fortune and improve the mental health service for its citizens. It should be seen as a necessity. Unfortunately,  NZ seems to be a bit of a rarity in the modern world by having an emotionally mature and intelligent government. 
Great post PM...Fully agree about the cities and the Rat Race existence
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:30pm
Ireland hasn't returned to the office like they have on the continent

What's the reason/s for this

I'd guess that Ireland's miserable commutes are a major reason
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:17am
Because the government advice is still to work from home where possible and avoid public transport. Companies are abiding by that advice by telling their employees to continue to work from home. Elsewhere in Europe and in England the governments have told companies to get their staff back to the office as they are fearful that their cities and economies will never recover if they don’t. Whether staff across Europe have actually gone back or not I am not sure but in London a large chunk have done so since the start of September. Dublin needs the same ASAP but again the public health guidance seems to trump everything. 

Edited by EdisonCavani - 10 Sep 2020 at 9:18am
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:57am
The sooner cities become places to live rather then places to work the better. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 10:16am
Dublin City Council were trying to move to that model with their apartment development minimum  standards until Simon Coveney and Eoghan Murphy came along and lowerEd the national standards thus overriding the Dublin City Council minimum standards. Now building bed sits is allowed again FFS. 

Edited by EdisonCavani - 10 Sep 2020 at 10:17am
Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 10:52am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

It goes hand in hand.
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 10:56am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Ireland hasn't returned to the office like they have on the continent

What's the reason/s for this

I'd guess that Ireland's miserable commutes are a major reason

My fathers health is the main reason I'm allowed work from home at the moment but it would make little sense for me to lose at least 2 hours of the day commuting into Galway City when I could spend those two hours working.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

It goes hand in hand.

Yes who doesn't enjoy congestion, crazy rents and streets stuffed full of cars!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Because the government advice is still to work from home where possible and avoid public transport. Companies are abiding by that advice by telling their employees to continue to work from home. Elsewhere in Europe and in England the governments have told companies to get their staff back to the office as they are fearful that their cities and economies will never recover if they don’t. Whether staff across Europe have actually gone back or not I am not sure but in London a large chunk have done so since the start of September. Dublin needs the same ASAP but again the public health guidance seems to trump everything. 

Eh ????

London is still a ghost town
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 11:58am

It goes hand in hand.

In one. The majority of people have been living and not existing in a lot of big cities for some time. My own experience is that trying to live in London broke me and I met plenty on the way down who were similarly broken. We have been handed a golden opportunity to reassess this and it needs to be taken. That's before we even mention the environment.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Eh ????

There’s numerous articles in the last 48hrs stating that London is dead despite the governments campaign to go back to your sorry office existence 
Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 12:35pm

It goes hand in hand.

I’m not saying anyone does. But the reason a city is a city is due to the metropolitan feel of the place, take the jobs out of the office, people leave the city and thus the buzz people enjoy about a city is gone. I remember when FaceTime/Skype came, that was the end of business travel apparently.. it wasn’t it returned. And this will be no different. There will be argument people miss interaction with others and aren’t as creative. Others will argue they’ve more time at home without a commute. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 12:46pm

Clap
El Puto Amo
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Eh ????

There’s numerous articles in the last 48hrs stating that London is dead despite the governments campaign to go back to your sorry office existence 

Yeah everybody from London is still WFH. Until it safe for everybody to come in there is no point sending in a few people.

Our German colleagues have been working in the office for over 2 months now.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 1:00pm

Eh ????

Boris is really trying to push it because lots of his cronies are reliant on people being in the office. The reality is that lots of businesses are realising that this is a time to adapt as it will save them money. No need for the crazy rents on offices!

Cities won't become any less metropolitan by making them more livable, quite the opposite. It might just mean more people travelling into the city on a Saturday and less on a Monday. It might mean Pret-a-Manger going out of business, but as much as I would worry about those people losing their jobs, I think there would be new jobs created in their place. With more people spending more time at home, and cities becoming more cultural quarters, more people will want to leave the house and go in to town, creating new opportunities. 
I also think it is the right time to be having a serious debate about UBI, but that's slightly different. There's also the fact that air pollution is massively down in many cities. 
For all these reasons it is time to reassess how things are run. It shouldn't have taken a pandemic for that reassessment,  but let's hope good can come out of bad.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 1:38pm

Eh ????

Fair enough. I thought I read that the numbers using the tube and cars on the roads into London rose significantly on Monday. If so must not have been office workers which I was assuming they were.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 1:49pm
London has got busier but from a very low base - tubes etc stil pretty empty even in rush hour 

Only people who seem to be working are in  construction
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 340341342343344 839>
  Share Topic