You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 839>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:44pm
200 new cases Cry
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Government still advising against non-essential travel regardless of whether or not the country is on a green list.

He was only the chairman and would have been picking up a nominal fee, so won't be going hungry!

He's on the board at Ryanair.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 11:54am
This is worth 30 min of your time, regards a second wave...

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 3:31pm
So government deciding on NPHET's new recommendations today and probably announce them this evening?

Hopefully whatever is announced it's grounded in actual evidence. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

So government deciding on NPHET's new recommendations today and probably announce them this evening?

This is my fecking problem. All for adapting approaches to tackle rising cases but there doesn't appear to be logic behind the restrictions they target.

For example, sporting events. Where is the evidence that these were breading grounds for increaes in numbers?
Or the other easy target, restaurants, gyms, pubs (which haven't even made it to the party yet), where is the evidence that these are driving rising infections? 

Actually, the numbers appear to point that the rising numbers are primarily in households and likely by mixing of families. But of course that is going to be the case when you have people restricted to have their social interactions at home because they can't go to the pub,  or go to watch the match and basically we have people mixing in an uncontrolled fashion. 

Whereas any restaurant I've went to or the gym have been very careful and hygiene focused. I'm sure sporting events would also be on top of it.

We need to make a decision and an announcement as a country of what exactly we are trying to achieve. 
Do we want to go to zero cases? 
Is the goal to keep the curve flattened?
Do we restart the economy fully and learn to live with it?
Do we need to shield the vulnerable and let the rest of us go on, people will get it and it will spread around as highly contagious but vast majority will be fine, they might not know they even had it, some will need treatment, very few will die. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 18 Aug 2020 at 5:21pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 5:34pm
50 can go to a wedding but 15 to an outdoor event Confused

Was due to Bray Rovers later, not sure what the story with it is 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 5:46pm
I presume government have only picked some of NPHET's advice to follow.

I wouldn't have a problem following advice if they could tell us:

The logic behind why various things bave been chosen.
What goal are we working towards?

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

This is my fecking problem. All for adapting approaches to tackle rising cases but there doesn't appear to be logic behind the restrictions they target.

For example, sporting events. Where is the evidence that these were breading grounds for increaes in numbers?
Or the other easy target, restaurants, gyms, pubs (which haven't even made it to the party yet), where is the evidence that these are driving rising infections? 

Actually, the numbers appear to point that the rising numbers are primarily in households and likely by mixing of families. But of course that is going to be the case when you have people restricted to have their social interactions at home because they can't go to the pub,  or go to watch the match and basically we have people mixing in an uncontrolled fashion. 

Whereas any restaurant I've went to or the gym have been very careful and hygiene focused. I'm sure sporting events would also be on top of it.

We need to make a decision and an announcement as a country of what exactly we are trying to achieve. 
Do we need to shield the vulnerable and let the rest of us go on, people will get it and it will spread around as highly contagious but vast majority will be fine, they might not know they even had it, some will need treatment, very few will die. 

Nail on the head. Because the government have not communicated a plan or strategy to the public an assumption could be made that they have no plan other than follow the advice of NPHET. And most of NPHETs recent advice has been reactive, so their recommendations are all short term. I'd like to  see MM be interviewed and asked some simple questions - what does he hope to achieve by following a cautious approach ? How long is the country going to continue in a stop start fashion ? What is his understanding of living with covid ? All I want is some clarity for the weeks and months ahead. 

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Excellent post. Absolutely spot-on.

This Government has no backbone whatsoever.

Southstandman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 6:01pm
   The pharma people are now running the show . We will dance to their tune as they hold all the aces . Frightening days ahead if this episode in our history is anything to go by . 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 6:15pm
It’s f**king baffling. No mention of DP centres, fruit & veg & meat factories but pubs are vilified after over 6000 Garda checks. There’s been less than 1% of those checks done by the HSA. 

Nonsense, absolute nonsense. 

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 6:18pm
are amateur games Gone if you can’t have more than 15 outside 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

It’s f**king baffling. No mention of DP centres, fruit & veg & meat factories but pubs are vilified after over 6000 Garda checks. There’s been less than 1% of those checks done by the HSA. 

Nonsense, absolute nonsense. 

This is a government desperately trying to appear that they're doing something so are hitting the easy targets. They won't or can't take on the likes of poor work practices in meat plants or direct provision centres. 

How many outbreaks have been linked to crowds at outdoor sporting events or the pub / restaraunt trade push since June 29? Precisely none. There is no science behind it and public policy is being dictated by a handful of 'celebrity' academics whose opinions were formulated by now totally debunked statistical modeling. 

It's a farce at this point. Think it's now 21 people in hospital at present and 7 deaths in the last 25 days, 5 of which were backdated to April. Amazing how we have another big jump in numbers today after the 200 on Saturday which then dropped back on Sunday and Monday. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 7:00pm
The resident Tory very quiet on the Governments handling of issues of late.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 7:09pm
No surprise.  I drove through the city in Galway last weekend. Everywhere was packed out.   No social distancing in restaurants that I drove by.  Really closely packed together, tables a couple of feet apart.

The new Government are clueless.  They don't address the main problems where things are spiralling out of control.  No crackdown on airports, house parties, addressing meat factory, D.P centres, creches etc..

I would allow attendance at outdoor sporting events limited to 25% of capacity of the stadium.  Transmission outdoors is quite low.

I would make shops refuse to serve people not wearing masks. And also refusal of entry if possible.   I would also limit restaurants and bars to 50% capacity also.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 7:15pm
couple of feet apart is that not exactly what they are meant to do. 
AKA pedantic kunt
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

No surprise.  I drove through the city in Galway last weekend. 

Don't believe ya. You're still in that bunker of yours, probably built another bunker on top with the latest spike.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

No surprise.  I drove through the city in Galway last weekend. 

Don't believe ya. You're still in that bunker of yours, probably built another bunker on top with the latest spike.

You're still in that library that you walk through 5 towns to get to
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 839>
  Share Topic