You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 839>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Easy to say ''I'll take the risk'' but if he ends up critical in ICU I wonder would he say 'it was worth it'.  Ask the people whose parents or husband/wife in the UK or here who died because they wanted to go on as normal was it worth the risk they would say 'no'.  Up to him to risk his life for a pint and a chat if that's what he wants.  Personally I think its crazy.  The pubs with the restrictions look crap anyway.  Not missing much imo. 

I've already given you the example of my GF's 89 grandmother who lives alone. She doesn't want to continue under the current measures. She's happy to take some level of risk if it means she can get some bit of quality of life back.

You keep on mentioning pubs and flights but there are so many other things that people are missing on too that they are prepared to take a small risk on to get some bit of normality back into their lives.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Easy to say ''I'll take the risk'' but if he ends up critical in ICU I wonder would he say 'it was worth it'.  Ask the people whose parents or husband/wife in the UK or here who died because they wanted to go on as normal was it worth the risk they would say 'no'.  Up to him to risk his life for a pint and a chat if that's what he wants.  Personally I think its crazy.  The pubs with the restrictions look crap anyway.  Not missing much imo. 

I've already given you the example of my GF's 89 grandmother who lives alone. She doesn't want to continue under the current measures. She's happy to take some level of risk if it means she can get some bit of quality of life back.

You keep on mentioning pubs and flights but there are so many other things that people are missing on too that they are prepared to take a small risk on to get some bit of normality back into their lives.

Things will gradually open in stages and a slow return to a more normal reality will occur.  There's idiots wanting the whole country to go back to normal right now.  It's a pandemic.  Some people wouldn't know a pandemic from a panda.

Let's be honest.  Its boredom driving these calls for a reopening.  That's not a good enough reason to risk lives.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:04pm
great to have TJ back Clap
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:13pm

Things will gradually open in stages and a slow return to a more normal reality will occur.  There's idiots wanting the whole country to go back to normal right now.  It's a pandemic.  Some people wouldn't know a pandemic from a panda.

Let's be honest.  Its boredom driving these calls for a reopening.  That's not a good enough reason to risk lives.

I think it's fair to say little to none agree with the Gemma O'Doherty & John Waters take on the whole thing!

Boredom yes I fully agree, I don't understand how people can wait 2 hours in a drive though queue to get chick nuggets but it gives an indication of the mind-set of a lot of the population. The economic impact of the this more worries me more than people wanting fast food or pints. The current situation isn't sustainable (wasn't to begin with) and we saw what effects the last recession had (including mental health).
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:25pm
No its not sustainable but it is for another few months.  The economy will bounce back sooner or later.  I reckon there's a lot of people who have saved a lot of money by not being able to use their disposable income with everything closed and have a huge appetite to spend once things re-open.

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:25pm
I'd agree there should be a consideration (open debate) about whether to open up faster. The longer we leave things I'd imagine the worse things will get in terms of increases in depression, suicide etc.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:27pm
The life we were living before lockdown wasn't good for suicide and depression.  This is an ideal to have a proper look at how we live life.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:28pm

No its not sustainable but it is for another few months.  The economy will bounce back sooner or later.  I reckon there's a lot of people who have saved a lot of money by not being able to use their disposable income with everything closed and have a huge appetite to spend once things re-open.

Yep I want to spent it on flights Lamp
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I'd agree there should be a consideration (open debate) about whether to open up faster. The longer we leave things I'd imagine the worse things will get in terms of increases in depression, suicide etc.

It would be interesting to see the data if there is excess rates of suicide during the lockdown or if they have decreased.

Personally I think a lot of people are trying to use any sort of emotional blackmail excuse in an effort to pressurise and lobby the premature re-opening of the country not so  much because they are actually concerned about mental health or starving children worldwide but because they want their cinema visit or  holiday in the Costa del Sewage.

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 3:14pm
with the phased or sped up re-opening there will be nothing stopping people who want to remain cocooning from doing so. Social distancing will no doubt fall back a bit as things get back to normal but people don't have to go out if they don't want to.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 3:16pm

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

big sporting events, concerts etc. Basically what large gatherings that in general people wouldn't attend on a regular basis (I know some people go to concerts every week but the majority don't).

What about small sporting events and concerts?

What counts as big sporting events and concerts? 

Does, say a sporting event or a concert with 1,000 attendees count as a big event? 

What about packed pubs and nightclubs, bearing in mind that they are a perfect place to spread the virus?

I was meant to be running the Cork marathon this weekend with thousands of others. No doubt at this stage of the year I would have been standing on the Hill or Thurles with yourself chatting away. I can't see these types of events being allowed back anytime soon. As for putting a number on it I'm not going to try to come up something that tries to mitigate risk v normality, but didn't the government have a number of 500 before lockdown so someone looked into it.

Regarding pubs, I've said there'll be restricted once re opened, probably to seating only.

The risk of the virus (and other infections) is always going to be there. Shutting up shop entirely until it's 100% gone isn't something the vast majority of people want to live with.
But other infections are a known quantity. This one isn't. That's why we shut down in the first place.

We don't know what the threat of the virus will be in future. 

Perhaps it will always be with us, perhaps it won't. 

The unpredictability of all this is what demands caution. 

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 3:25pm
We're just past the half-way point of the pub closure period.

Today is Friday May 29th. The last pubs were open on Sunday March 15th. They're down to open again on Monday August 10th. 

Just thought I'd tell yis. 

Personally I'm happy enough to keep them closed until then, both from a public heealth point of view and a few more quid in me pocket point of view.

Drinking inside pubs during the summer is disgusting anyway.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 3:36pm

Didn't Leo say that the lockdown restrictions could be eased ahead of schedule depending on how the situation develops? We should be able to get a decent read on the best course of action by looking at the continental European countries who have reopened bars and restaurants etc. 

Every pub, cafe or restaurant that does have seating and opens to the public should make people sign in with ID to aid tracing if Covid clusters do develop in future. 

Edited by MC Hammered - 29 May 2020 at 3:36pm
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 3:59pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Yep I want to spent it on flights Lamp

Flights and Ireland away games when we're able to go to games again.

Putting money aside each pay day for when travel can resume and events return.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:15pm

It would be interesting to see the data if there is excess rates of suicide during the lockdown or if they have decreased.

Personally I think a lot of people are trying to use any sort of emotional blackmail excuse in an effort to pressurise and lobby the premature re-opening of the country not so  much because they are actually concerned about mental health or starving children worldwide but because they want their cinema visit or  holiday in the Costa del Sewage.

Numbers aren't published until later in the proceeding year, but anecdotally, in Ireland as well as the UK, they've absolutely exploded, so expect to see them reflected when the tally comes out.

Unsure how you could even consider they might decrease Confused

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Numbers aren't published until later in the proceeding year, but anecdotally, in Ireland as well as the UK, they've absolutely exploded, so expect to see them reflected when the tally comes out.

Unsure how you could even consider they might decrease Confused

TJ, my mate runs a free mental health online support service. They are massively oversubscribed at the moment. There has been a 370% increase in demand since lockdown. They are turning people away as they haven’t got sufficient resources unfortunately. If you work that through to the logical conclusion then I can’t see how suicide rates will have decreased, the result is obviously going to be the opposite. 
El Puto Amo
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 839>
  Share Topic