You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 727728729730731 839>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Your first sentence.   The NHS slogan is 'STAY AT HOME'.   Bojo and his 2 CMOs stand behind a podium with that written on each one.  They have stated repeatedly in their press conferences that they want people to stay at home unless absolutely necessary for food shopping. I watched it today.  So why the discrepancy between what they are saying and you are saying?

Where did I tell you that you were going for ice cream?   I told you I had no problem with people going for walks if they obey the rules.  Its been proven that a sizeable minority of people cant or worse wont obey them so its time to take that privilege away from them for the health of the majority.

Your second point is now distorting what I said to suit your own argument .  I have no problem with that and I am sure laws can be brought in for health workers.

And thirdly your fellow doctors are preaching to all and sundry to stay at home.  You didn't answer my point about the NHS doctor who said to stay at home. why is he pleading for that and you saying fire away?

You should actually be thanking the likes of me and other for trying to do our bit to help out the likes of you.  Yet you are sl*gging me off for telling reckless people they are idiots and advising to stay at home ;ike your colleagues preach.  Very odd.

We seem to be at cross purposes. 

I wasnt sl*gging you off.
I have no problem with anyone telling reckless idiots who are taking the piss to cop on.

This is a vicious illness, its frightening, and anyone who isnt worried about it needs to reassess.

I do think you should not be getting so wound up over it as it is not doing your mental health any good but that's a separate point.

I havent listened to that doctor giving his opinion but I would say if he is telling people to stay at home then that is reasonable. People absolutely should stay at home, but I am pointing out to you that the Irish CMO has not said you cant go for a walk provided you adhere to social distancing. I was clear on that in my last point. 

Perhaps you think I am in favour of everyone just carrying on taking the piss. I never said that.

But you work in the UK and the UK CMO is saying to stay at home unless to grocery shop.  As I said he stands daily behind a podium that says ''STAY AT HOME'' on it.   Its not a case of one doctors opinion.  Any doctors I see interviewed are singing off the same hymn sheet. Stay at home seems to be the overarching message amongst doctors in Italy and wherever its getting bad.That is their advice to Ireland and the UK.  On Prime Time the other night we had an Irish doctor saying and sternly saying to stay at home.  Some of the Irish and UK docs are not singing off the same hymn sheet. Her advice was at odds to Holohan's.

I like Holohan but feel he made a mistake on the Late Late show and I don't agree with everything he says.  His advice could be the complete opposite next week to last Friday and I think it may well be. My common sense tells me to make my own decision to stay out of the way of people.  Lie low.  Some of the advice from doctors on the Late Late has been poor in fact.  They had Dr. Luke O'Neill on a few weeks ago who told everyone to relax and it was not a big deal. He has since totally backtracked and is now calling for the army to come in.  There was another doctor the following week on the Late Late who when asked advised to keep going to coffee shops and pubs as long as you kept your distance.  That was bad advice. People took that advice and ran with it and packed out pubs.
I know a few doctors personally and when in the first few days of March I asked him about the virus he told me it was all a big fuss over nothing. I actually couldn't believe he said it. So while there is good advice out there, there is also terrible advice coming from the people who should be all saying the same thing but still aren't.

They were saying on a Tuesday in NI that the advice was that they should keep the schools open. The next day the advice was to close them.  Why did it make sense one day but not the next? I am hearing stories of people with symptoms being told that they didn't need to isolate even though they had symptoms of coronavirus.  In fact I think it was some doctor in cork hospital who came back from a trip and had symptoms and he rang his boss who told him he didnt need to isolate and come in to work.  He since infected a load of people.  There is also inconstencies in advice.  The doctors on tv were saying on one hand you don't need to isolate unless you are showing symptoms.  Then you hear that you could be infecting other people for days on end before you actually show symptoms as the incubation period could be up to 14 days.

So while I listen to advice for the most part I can also choose which doctors to listen to and who to ignore and to follow my own instincts as to what's best. 

Edited by Trap junior - 22 Mar 2020 at 8:47pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:39pm
111 pages in and some excellent advice fair play rolo.  

AKA pedantic kunt
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:36pm

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

What is the advice for someone self isolating medication wise does anybody know, as in what is the person supposed to be taking to help them.

Self isolating due to symptoms or because of someone in your home/close contact being ill?
I suppose knowing both scenarios would help rolo, through all this I never really took any notice of what the prescribed treatments are, just curious as 2 of my kids are still working away Thumbs Up

To be honest you can only treat the symptoms. There is no cure.

If you are isolating as a precaution, you dont need to do anything differently.

If infected, if you're healthy you should be able to ride it out in a week or so, but this duration seems to vary.

One of my friends caught it off a patient and she is currently self-isolating. She has a cough but isnt taking anything for it.

Paracetamol is good if you have a fever. I stocked up on that today in advance of the day I inevitably have the infection. 

Other than that, if you are currently on regular medications, you should speak to your GP for advice on taking those.
Thanks rolo Thumbs Up
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:35pm
McDonalds closing down from 7pm tomorrow in both Ireland and UK
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:35pm
Jesus wept, I will rest my case, get yourself a rub down after your heroic effort in the saddle today mate, I don’t hate cyclists either btw most are sound well until they actually get on a bike Thumbs Up
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:33pm

What is the advice for someone self isolating medication wise does anybody know, as in what is the person supposed to be taking to help them.

Self isolating due to symptoms or because of someone in your home/close contact being ill?
I suppose knowing both scenarios would help rolo, through all this I never really took any notice of what the prescribed treatments are, just curious as 2 of my kids are still working away Thumbs Up

To be honest you can only treat the symptoms. There is no cure.

If you are isolating as a precaution, you dont need to do anything differently.

If infected, if you're healthy you should be able to ride it out in a week or so, but this duration seems to vary.

One of my friends caught it off a patient and she is currently self-isolating. She has a cough but isnt taking anything for it.

Paracetamol is good if you have a fever. I stocked up on that today in advance of the day I inevitably have the infection. 

Other than that, if you are currently on regular medications, you should speak to your GP for advice on taking those.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:28pm

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

did 100k on the bike this morning, thought the roads would be quieter, they weren’t. Social distancing obviously doesn’t apply to clowns in cars who don’t know how to overtake safely either
Distancing never applies to cyclists who can’t seem to cycle in single file

I was cycling solo. 

It actually takes less time to overtake a group of cyclists safely if they are 2 abreast than it does if they are single file, but that’s for another thread
What thread is that! Looks like you just took the chance to have a go at car drivers

I’m a car driver, I was having a go at clowns who don’t know how to overtake safely
I hope you are equally annoyed by stupid clowns on bikes who think they have some sort of god giving right to do what they want on the road, there is actually more clowns on bikes on the road than motorists I do believe

I didn’t see any clowns on bikes today, I’m only commenting on what I did see.
And I didn’t even mention the amount of drivers I seen using phones while driving today!

I would love to see your source for your last comment though....
Try open your eyes wider whilst your driving you will be quiet surprised by the antics of cyclists, anyway your 100 km is irrelevant to this thread and I should not have dragged this off topic over something as futile as it, maybe cabin fever is setting in and I’m getting narky

I was out exercising and was pointing out how busy everywhere was, I was simply pointing out a single incident today and make a joke about social distancing, that was all.
I didn’t mention all motorists or generalise, you got upset all by yourself

Nice backtrack there because maybe it’s only me but I did not see a joke anywhere in the original post, anyhow keep pushing ( excuse the pun ) the poor oul cyclists gets it bad on the road at every opportunity on here Thumbs Up

No back tracking on my behalf, but here’s the original comment that seem to have upset you:

“ Social distancing obviously doesn’t apply to clowns in cars who don’t know how to overtake safely either” basically meant not leaving enough space

Now you brought this off topic enough but It’s my own fault for debating with with someone who must hate cyclists as it’s a waste of time.

Enjoy your evening.

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:28pm

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

mr T Junior. 

serious question other than advising ybig readers are you doing anything outside to help here? you come across as utterly immersed in all this.

Thinly veiled sly dig masqueraded as a curios question but I'll answer:

I am staying indoors unless to grocery shop.  Apart from that what else can I do?  I may be called upon to help out soon as it happens but that's a month or two away if it happens.

It's not a sly dig, it's trying to provoke a new thought process and can apply to anyone else really. Worrying about the virus helps no one.
Getting wound up about what others are doing about the virus, helps no one. (about 50 people read this thread).

If you can advise people in other ways they can really help during these times, it might be more worthwhile. As it is now, your just some lad shouting from the rooftop during a hurricane
It would damage this forums' reputation
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

On a level between 1 and 10 about how worried I am about this - I'd say I'm a 1.

Why? Have you no elderly relatives or parents with medical conditions
You not think what’s happening in Italy and Spain can happen here?

What's happening in Italy and Spain IS happening here, but on a much lower scale.

I follow the advise by the HSE - if I get it I get it, but I think it's highly unlikely that I will so try not to worry about it too much.

Is there not an 80% chance that you’ll get it?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:23pm
The number of cases rising is all part of the plan unfortunately, we know it's gonna grow, there's been 10,000 tested already and less than 1000 cases so even if that 40k backlog is true, that's still well short of projections for the month.

The real key numbers are the people in ICU and the people dead. Still single digits there, it that starts blowing up then the plan isn't working. For now it is. 

Health service are playing a blinder here in how quickly they got a plan out an implemented.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:23pm

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:20pm

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:18pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

mr T Junior. 

serious question other than advising ybig readers are you doing anything outside to help here? you come across as utterly immersed in all this.

Thinly veiled sly dig masqueraded as a curios question but I'll answer:

I am staying indoors unless to grocery shop.  Apart from that what else can I do?  I may be called upon to help out soon as it happens but that's a month or two away if it happens.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:15pm

Your first sentence.   The NHS slogan is 'STAY AT HOME'.   Bojo and his 2 CMOs stand behind a podium with that written on each one.  They have stated repeatedly in their press conferences that they want people to stay at home unless absolutely necessary for food shopping. I watched it today.  So why the discrepancy between what they are saying and you are saying?

Where did I tell you that you were going for ice cream?   I told you I had no problem with people going for walks if they obey the rules.  Its been proven that a sizeable minority of people cant or worse wont obey them so its time to take that privilege away from them for the health of the majority.

Your second point is now distorting what I said to suit your own argument .  I have no problem with that and I am sure laws can be brought in for health workers.

And thirdly your fellow doctors are preaching to all and sundry to stay at home.  You didn't answer my point about the NHS doctor who said to stay at home. why is he pleading for that and you saying fire away?

You should actually be thanking the likes of me and other for trying to do our bit to help out the likes of you.  Yet you are sl*gging me off for telling reckless people they are idiots and advising to stay at home ;ike your colleagues preach.  Very odd.

We seem to be at cross purposes. 

I wasnt sl*gging you off.
I have no problem with anyone telling reckless idiots who are taking the piss to cop on.

This is a vicious illness, its frightening, and anyone who isnt worried about it needs to reassess.

I do think you should not be getting so wound up over it as it is not doing your mental health any good but that's a separate point.

I havent listened to that doctor giving his opinion but I would say if he is telling people to stay at home then that is reasonable. People absolutely should stay at home, but I am pointing out to you that the Irish CMO has not said you cant go for a walk provided you adhere to social distancing. I was clear on that in my last point. 

Perhaps you think I am in favour of everyone just carrying on taking the piss. I never said that.

Edited by rolo - 22 Mar 2020 at 8:16pm
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:11pm

did 100k on the bike this morning, thought the roads would be quieter, they weren’t. Social distancing obviously doesn’t apply to clowns in cars who don’t know how to overtake safely either
Distancing never applies to cyclists who can’t seem to cycle in single file

I was cycling solo. 

It actually takes less time to overtake a group of cyclists safely if they are 2 abreast than it does if they are single file, but that’s for another thread
What thread is that! Looks like you just took the chance to have a go at car drivers

I’m a car driver, I was having a go at clowns who don’t know how to overtake safely
I hope you are equally annoyed by stupid clowns on bikes who think they have some sort of god giving right to do what they want on the road, there is actually more clowns on bikes on the road than motorists I do believe

I didn’t see any clowns on bikes today, I’m only commenting on what I did see.
And I didn’t even mention the amount of drivers I seen using phones while driving today!

I would love to see your source for your last comment though....
Try open your eyes wider whilst your driving you will be quiet surprised by the antics of cyclists, anyway your 100 km is irrelevant to this thread and I should not have dragged this off topic over something as futile as it, maybe cabin fever is setting in and I’m getting narky

I was out exercising and was pointing out how busy everywhere was, I was simply pointing out a single incident today and make a joke about social distancing, that was all.
I didn’t mention all motorists or generalise, you got upset all by yourself

Nice backtrack there because maybe it’s only me but I did not see a joke anywhere in the original post, anyhow keep pushing ( excuse the pun ) the poor oul cyclists gets it bad on the road at every opportunity on here Thumbs Up
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:10pm
mr T Junior. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Rolo make sure you clear all future movements with the covid 19 Tsar in future  

LOLLOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 727728729730731 839>
  Share Topic