You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 200>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Martiponti Martiponti wrote:

I think you should have said, "uncharted."    

I suppose I should.

But it looks like I have run a road through your claim about the Shinner’s leftist credentials. And to that point, nobody has offered a satisfactory response to the claim that the manifesto was left wing as opposed to populist.
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 6:17am
Yeah s Hit-filled, I guess you did alright.You made a proper fool of me

Edited by Martiponti - 28 Feb 2020 at 6:18am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 9:53am

Yeah s Hit-filled, I guess you did alright.You made a proper fool of me

Well you seem to spend a lot of time here defending the Shinners, so you’ve already made a fool out of yourself. You don’t need my help.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 11:36am
Wrong sh*t-filled: I never made a fool of myself; I was born a fool, to a long line of fools, and proud of it.You have been more than a match for me, and boy does it annoy me!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 11:43am

Wrong sh*t-filled: I never made a fool of myself; I was born a fool, to a long line of fools, and proud of it.You have been more than a match for me, and boy does it annoy me!

It definitely annoys you, otherwise you’d walk away. It’s hilarious to watch the reaction of some when criticism of the Shinners is made. Even better when the word “smear” is misused.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:05pm
I fully agree with you on the misuse of "smear";The dirty protest was serious attempt to teach plastering skills to prisoners.To suggest they were merely "smearing" their cells was the British propaganda machine working at full pelt,to discredit what was a self help course for prisoners.Now the Shinners have power, just imagine the building skills they will be able to call on for the house building programme 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:22pm

I fully agree with you on the misuse of "smear";The dirty protest was serious attempt to teach plastering skills to prisoners.To suggest they were merely "smearing" their cells was the British propaganda machine working at full pelt,to discredit what was a self help course for prisoners.Now the Shinners have power, just imagine the building skills they will be able to call on for the house building programme 
LOL you are like a cat still pawing the sh*t out of a dead mouse
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

LOL you are like a cat still pawing the sh*t out of a dead mouse

It’s not at all. Hilarious how ye all wagon circle like this. No debate, just as hominem. The lowest form. Most of he just don’t have answers.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:56pm
Ad Hominem attacks aren't on, I agree.But don't you think your Ad Nauseum attacks have brought it on? Let it go! It was the people who gave SF the majority of first preference votes because they wanted SF.You seem to be unable to accept the democratic process.If SF don't do a good job, the people won't vote for them next time.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 2:06pm

Ad Hominem attacks aren't on, I agree.But don't you think your Ad Nauseum attacks have brought it on? Let it go! It was the people who gave SF the majority of first preference votes because they wanted SF.You seem to be unable to accept the democratic process.If SF don't do a good job, the people won't vote for them next time.

But I’ve never questioned the democratic process, the legitimacy of the vote, or the outcome at all. Ireland’s electoral process is exceptionally robust and almost as trustworthy as you can get. But you can hold majority parties to account, and that happens both inside the Dail, and outside too. As a majority party I still feel SF have major questions to answer, and the level of political debate here is good.

Honestly, I’d rather see a party I don’t like, perform well in Government, as opposed to seeing a parry I do like performing poorly. Unfortunately, too many people go the opposite way, and either do the mental gymnastics necessary to convince themselves all is well, or are just not particularly bothered by it, and are satisfied with holding power. That includes a SF Government. However, with the manifesto, I feel there are serious reasons to question that. 

I have no doubt my posts have annoyed some people. That’s partisan politics. But they can engage the argument rather than make nonsense claims about posters “running rings”, or playing with dead mice.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 2:16pm
Plurality of first preference votes; very different from a majority.

If there are eleven parties and FG get 10% and ten left wing parties get 9% each, it doesn't mean that FF have won the election.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

They are not a left party.

And your thought isn’t original or unchartered.

I would disagree. They would probably be centre left now. A centre left party with aspects of populist policies. If any party is a broad church, populist party it is Fianna Fail.

FF invented that style of populism It reminds me of how FFers won’t admit to being centre right or left, or accept where they fall on the dubious political spectrum.

But SF are on the way. The manifesto was proof positive of that. Like I’ve said, a legitimate left leaning manifesto would be significantly more robust in the area of tax increases in order to explain and manage the expenditure increases. SF went for the increase in expense, without cost to most taxpayers. And SF were never expected to explain it.

Even the issues that have arisen with members of the PP since the election, it shows how “broad church” SF is.

I think that is probably true that SF are aiming to become that broad church, catch all populist party. But that doesn't mean that their policies are not on the left of the Political spectrum and in the North probably more on the centre left of that spectrum. I agree SF went for the increase in spend but without cost to most taxpayers, they seem to have taken a leaf out of Bernie Sanders book in their claims of how to pay for the increase in expenditure. By that I mean they seem to be targeting the top 1-2% plus multinationals and attempting to raise revenue that way. I am no economist but for the most part their aims look unrealistic. But that doesn't mean that their aims are discredited. Improvements can be made for sure, a lot of what SF are aiming for may not be met but if substantial improvements in housing and other issues like health, childcare costs and even something like maternity care(they want to increase it for one parent to 52 weeks from 26) then they could well be on the way to cementing their place as one of the 'big three'.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

If there are eleven parties and FG get 10% and ten left wing parties get 9% each, it doesn't mean that FF have won the election.

In fairness, when I said majority party, I meant that along with FF and FG. They are the parties who are likely to fare best in Government formation.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 2:40pm

They are not a left party.

And your thought isn’t original or unchartered.

I would disagree. They would probably be centre left now. A centre left party with aspects of populist policies. If any party is a broad church, populist party it is Fianna Fail.

FF invented that style of populism It reminds me of how FFers won’t admit to being centre right or left, or accept where they fall on the dubious political spectrum.

But SF are on the way. The manifesto was proof positive of that. Like I’ve said, a legitimate left leaning manifesto would be significantly more robust in the area of tax increases in order to explain and manage the expenditure increases. SF went for the increase in expense, without cost to most taxpayers. And SF were never expected to explain it.

Even the issues that have arisen with members of the PP since the election, it shows how “broad church” SF is.

I think that is probably true that SF are aiming to become that broad church, catch all populist party. But that doesn't mean that their policies are not on the left of the Political spectrum and in the North probably more on the centre left of that spectrum. I agree SF went for the increase in spend but without cost to most taxpayers, they seem to have taken a leaf out of Bernie Sanders book in their claims of how to pay for the increase in expenditure. By that I mean they seem to be targeting the top 1-2% plus multinationals and attempting to raise revenue that way. I am no economist but for the most part their aims look unrealistic. But that doesn't mean that their aims are discredited. Improvements can be made for sure, a lot of what SF are aiming for may not be met but if substantial improvements in housing and other issues like health, childcare costs and even something like maternity care(they want to increase it for one parent to 52 weeks from 26) then they could well be on the way to cementing their place as one of the 'big three'.

I would argue it is discredited, and it’s incredibly dubious. Particularly as they high spend, low tax model has been tried before, both in 1977 and in the period just before the 2002 General Election and the 2008 crash. Multinationals can withdraw, and high earners can move wealth. You need a consistent and dependable flow of taxation and that comes from the wider economy. If you want good public services, you have to pay for them, and if you want to ensure they are sustainable you also have to pay for them. Offering a wide number of tax breaks for the most dependable source of income makes almost no sense, and the vast increase in expenditure doesn’t mitigate for a right wing tax policy.

I suppose I find it remarkable that the messenger may have changed,  it the message hasn’t, and that’s people will buy it. Even if progress is made, if economic conditions deteriorate, we are back to where we began. Or alternatively, it never happens and the promises were for naught.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 3:29pm

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

In fairness, when I said majority party, I meant that along with FF and FG. They are the parties who are likely to fare best in Government formation.

Sorry, my reply was a delayed reply to martiponti, not to you.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 4:59pm
I accept that I should have said SF got the most first preferences
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:19pm
Sunday Times poll out tomorrow
SF 35 (+10)
FF 20 (-2)
FG 18 (-3)

Greens 6 (-1)
Labour 3 (-1)
Soc Dems 2 (-1)
Sol PBP 3 - - -
Ind/other 10 (-3)
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:23pm
I thought we'd already held the election
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 200>
  Share Topic