You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 200>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I don’t expect an FF/FG resurgence. Irish politics has a habit of watershed moments which includes the dispensing of one party Governance. But ultimately, I don’t expect huge change in the current numbers, and even with a loss of 15 seats in 2025, the would still hold significant power in Governmental talks, even if every one of those seats was picked up by SF.

Your point about left leaning “retail politicians” is essentially making my point which is that we can overstate the inevitable growth of SF, based on how other parties of the left perform. While satisfied that this election has drawn Ireland to the left, the Irish left is a very divided house, and from an electoral point of view, you can be represented at national level no matter what left wing ideology you hold. But that means that the survival of certainleft wing elements is contingent of SF going so far, and that’s when the Greens will attack their environmental credentials, or the SDs and Labour their social credentials and PBP their representative credentials. They will be the subject of offensive moves from both angles, and to assume that the next five years will just be easy sailing for SF would be in error. My point is not that I disagree with an ongoing rise of left wing Ireland, my point is that it may not automatically manifest itself in SF.

Equally, a lot happens in five year cycles. The last five years internationally have been quite unbelievable, as were the five years before that, as were the five years before that when the crash happened. How politics will pan out over five years is too much to project. I saw an interview with Ken Livingstone the other night essentially repeat the assumption that the next five years will be such a mess in the UK that Labour will practically be waiting in the wings to take over when the British public inevitably ask them. The Tories were a mess between 2016 and 2019. Beaten badly in local and EU elections, repeated defeated in the Commons, constant obfuscation over Brexit, the disastrous May tenure, and yet we still got what we got in December. And I ton the bargain Brexit isnow a reality. Four years ago it was just assumed that Trump would be such a major disaster that it wouldn’t be even an issue that he would be rolled out of office, and yet the Dems are now so divided it’s unclear whether he’ll get the outcome he deserves which is to lose badly. Again, my point here is about SF. The next five years may take a different course depending on how the wider opposition do.
Sinn Fein now are going to be in the position Labour could have had in 2011 (here's what you could have won), except better. 

As well as having no responsibility and a platform to attack over the coming five years, Sinn Fein have two key things Labour didn't have - populism and nationalism. People don't vote for populists on policies, they vote on feelings, and populists can turn anything to their advantage becasue they trade on scapegoating and victimhood. The current media environment which promotes soundbytes, zingers and a lack of attention span is perfect for doing that, and Sinn Fein will push this relentlessly. 

Plus, they have what Corbyn and Bernie Sanders don't have - and it's because of Ireland's particular historical context - flag waving nationalism. Populist parties love a bit of that. Sinn Fein's nationalism appeals to the old rural Republican tradition, the sort of people who eulogise Dan Breen and Tom Barry. Labour never had that because the labour movement has always been perceived as urban.

The UK and US have a different context. The UK and US have an imperial nature and a love of empire hard wired into much of their society. Trump and the Tories are flag waving far right populists. People don't vote for them on policy, they vote for them because of tribal instincts brought out by the concerted effort by the Tories and Republicans and the mass media industrial bullsh*t machines which back them up, to turn UK and US politics into primitive culture wars. Despite the imperial histories and tendencies in those countries, Trump and Johnson could not win without those mass media industrial bullsh*t machines behind them. 

Fine Gael's campaign in this election was what would have happened to Boris Johnson had he had to run a campaign in a world where the Sun, the Mail, the Telegraph, the Express, the Times and Rupert Murdoch and Laura Kuennsberg and Richard Littlejohn and Melanie Phillips and Katie Hopkins and all those other horrible propagandists didn't exist.

If the UK mass media industrial bullsh*t machine did not exist, there would never have been a Brexit referendum in the first place, and if they'd run one for the craic it would have lost 90-10.

Sinn Fein's appeal is similar to Trump and Brexit and the Tories yet different. The same issues are all there - but our particular historical context means that the populist turn has gone left. There is no mass media industrial bullsh*t machine in Ireland to vilify Sinn Fein in the same way as happened to Corbyn or will probably happen to Bernie Sanders. Yes the media is generally anti-Sinn Fein here but unlike what happens in England, attacks on Sinn Fein only make it stronger.

In an Irish context, the most similar thing we've had to SF in the past is Dev and Haughey era Fianna Fail, who made a massive play of their Republicanism and yet stole the clothes of the Labour party.

Despite the difference in politics, it's actually FFG who are in the position UK Labour find themselves in in, not sure of where to turn, while their opponents use a simple populist playbook that connects in the gut. FFG are in the position of the corporate Democrats in the US, desperate to stop Bernie Sanders but not knowing how to do it.

Edited by sid waddell - 16 Feb 2020 at 11:14pm
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 12:23am
Enjoyed reading your post Sid. Some interesting observations. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:53am
Originally posted by Martiponti Martiponti wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Jaysis lads whats with the quoting and the long replies 
                     Regurgitating the Sunday papers, possibly.

Multi-quoting aside, it's a well reasoned debate between the posters (a rarity on here), with some interesting points being made.

Don't like it, don't read it.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 7:11am
Yeah just to clarify it was the muti quoting of long posts not the content and tone  
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Sinn Fein now are going to be in the position Labour could have had in 2011 (here's what you could have won), except better. 

As well as having no responsibility and a platform to attack over the coming five years, Sinn Fein have two key things Labour didn't have - populism and nationalism. People don't vote for populists on policies, they vote on feelings, and populists can turn anything to their advantage becasue they trade on scapegoating and victimhood. The current media environment which promotes soundbytes, zingers and a lack of attention span is perfect for doing that, and Sinn Fein will push this relentlessly. 

Plus, they have what Corbyn and Bernie Sanders don't have - and it's because of Ireland's particular historical context - flag waving nationalism. Populist parties love a bit of that. Sinn Fein's nationalism appeals to the old rural Republican tradition, the sort of people who eulogise Dan Breen and Tom Barry. Labour never had that because the labour movement has always been perceived as urban.

The UK and US have a different context. The UK and US have an imperial nature and a love of empire hard wired into much of their society. Trump and the Tories are flag waving far right populists. People don't vote for them on policy, they vote for them because of tribal instincts brought out by the concerted effort by the Tories and Republicans and the mass media industrial bullsh*t machines which back them up, to turn UK and US politics into primitive culture wars. Despite the imperial histories and tendencies in those countries, Trump and Johnson could not win without those mass media industrial bullsh*t machines behind them. 

Fine Gael's campaign in this election was what would have happened to Boris Johnson had he had to run a campaign in a world where the Sun, the Mail, the Telegraph, the Express, the Times and Rupert Murdoch and Laura Kuennsberg and Richard Littlejohn and Melanie Phillips and Katie Hopkins and all those other horrible propagandists didn't exist.

If the UK mass media industrial bullsh*t machine did not exist, there would never have been a Brexit referendum in the first place, and if they'd run one for the craic it would have lost 90-10.

Sinn Fein's appeal is similar to Trump and Brexit and the Tories yet different. The same issues are all there - but our particular historical context means that the populist turn has gone left. There is no mass media industrial bullsh*t machine in Ireland to vilify Sinn Fein in the same way as happened to Corbyn or will probably happen to Bernie Sanders. Yes the media is generally anti-Sinn Fein here but unlike what happens in England, attacks on Sinn Fein only make it stronger.

In an Irish context, the most similar thing we've had to SF in the past is Dev and Haughey era Fianna Fail, who made a massive play of their Republicanism and yet stole the clothes of the Labour party.

Despite the difference in politics, it's actually FFG who are in the position UK Labour find themselves in in, not sure of where to turn, while their opponents use a simple populist playbook that connects in the gut. FFG are in the position of the corporate Democrats in the US, desperate to stop Bernie Sanders but not knowing how to do it.

This raises a couple of interesting points, namely the demography who have voted for SF, and the style of populism they espouse. Over the past decade the Irish progressive movement has been responsible for seismic and highly welcome social change. The old order is no longer taken for granted and the demands are different. However, I believe a significant number of these progressives while voting for social change vested their faith, at legislative level in Sinn Fein. This is odd, and it’s odd for a number of reasons. First, the combined nationalist/populist platform. Second, the history of the party. Third, the manifesto was not progressive, it was populist. The third aspect is easily addressed, the manifesto simply wasn’t read in any great detail, and the highlights sufficed. I’ve repeatedly mentioned the era this manifesto comes from and nobody here has said otherwise. The history of the party is something that progressives should be looking at, particularly as their key causes over the last decade have been underpinned by historical and cultural context. For some reason, this didn’t seem to resonate in this case. On a once off basis that makes sense, but to continuously ignore it (along with the populist/nationalist mentality), would almost equate to “jumping the shark”. Hence, if the progressives who voted SF this time look to the granular this might direct them towards a resurgent Labour/SD party or even the Greens if the critical climate issue becomes even more pressing in the next few years. Essentially, if the progressive vote goes, and it has alternatives, it would greatly inhibit SF growth.

The progressive movement has won the minds of this decade in Ireland. This is different to the “Strangers in heir own land”, or “little Englander” types who voted Trump/Brexit to assert a form of superiority in order to compensate. But unlike in American and the UK, I believe the progressives will continue to examine their politics and that could shift the votes. Also, while SF are in opposition in the south, they are in power up North, which will give them a tangible governmental record. That could be good, but t could also be bad. Failings up North will undoubtedly be ventilated in the next election in the South.

I also return to the fact that Ireland’s disparate left will turn on each other in no time, at which point it will become an auction of outrage. The transfers which elected other politicians will be forgotten as they scrap for those seats. Also, I frankly wouldn’t trust FF/FG not to try and implements a SF style manifesto as a last ditch effort to revive fortunes. At which point, the people who voted for the SF manifesto would either have to accept that what they wanted was done, or else double down on mock outrage.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

This raises a couple of interesting points, namely the demography who have voted for SF, and the style of populism they espouse. Over the past decade the Irish progressive movement has been responsible for seismic and highly welcome social change. The old order is no longer taken for granted and the demands are different. However, I believe a significant number of these progressives while voting for social change vested their faith, at legislative level in Sinn Fein. This is odd, and it’s odd for a number of reasons. First, the combined nationalist/populist platform. Second, the history of the party. Third, the manifesto was not progressive, it was populist. The third aspect is easily addressed, the manifesto simply wasn’t read in any great detail, and the highlights sufficed. I’ve repeatedly mentioned the era this manifesto comes from and nobody here has said otherwise. The history of the party is something that progressives should be looking at, particularly as their key causes over the last decade have been underpinned by historical and cultural context. For some reason, this didn’t seem to resonate in this case. On a once off basis that makes sense, but to continuously ignore it (along with the populist/nationalist mentality), would almost equate to “jumping the shark”. Hence, if the progressives who voted SF this time look to the granular this might direct them towards a resurgent Labour/SD party or even the Greens if the critical climate issue becomes even more pressing in the next few years. Essentially, if the progressive vote goes, and it has alternatives, it would greatly inhibit SF growth.

The progressive movement has won the minds of this decade in Ireland. This is different to the “Strangers in heir own land”, or “little Englander” types who voted Trump/Brexit to assert a form of superiority in order to compensate. But unlike in American and the UK, I believe the progressives will continue to examine their politics and that could shift the votes. Also, while SF are in opposition in the south, they are in power up North, which will give them a tangible governmental record. That could be good, but t could also be bad. Failings up North will undoubtedly be ventilated in the next election in the South.

I also return to the fact that Ireland’s disparate left will turn on each other in no time, at which point it will become an auction of outrage. The transfers which elected other politicians will be forgotten as they scrap for those seats. Also, I frankly wouldn’t trust FF/FG not to try and implements a SF style manifesto as a last ditch effort to revive fortunes. At which point, the people who voted for the SF manifesto would either have to accept that what they wanted was done, or else double down on mock outrage.
SF's vote is not going to disintegrate while they are leading the opposition, it will grow. Basically because people will smell the possibility of a government not led by FFG, ie. change. 

The Greens' vote might well disintegrate again next time should they go into coalition with FFG. 

Change is a completely superficial slogan but the issues underneath it which all add up to that one word are incredibly complex, contradictory and yet simple.

SF can use the slogan "change" because they are all things to all people, the rest of the left isn't. SF's appeal is in both people knowing exactly what they are and yet not having a clue what they are.

I'd need about 3,000 words to go into all it but there are weird intersections of psychology, economics, culture, culture wars, the democratic system itself and the media environment we live in at play here. I actually have a load of jumbled up thoughts written out but they're too jumbled up at present so I'm not posting them now. 

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Feb 2020 at 12:02pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:49pm

SF's vote is not going to disintegrate while they are leading the opposition, it will grow. Basically because people will smell the possibility of a government not led by FFG, ie. change. 

The Greens' vote might well disintegrate again next time should they go into coalition with FFG. 

Change is a completely superficial slogan but the issues underneath it which all add up to that one word are incredibly complex, contradictory and yet simple.

SF can use the slogan "change" because they are all things to all people, the rest of the left isn't. SF's appeal is in both people knowing exactly what they are and yet not having a clue what they are.

I'd need about 3,000 words to go into all it but there are weird intersections of psychology, economics, culture, culture wars, the democratic system itself and the media environment we live in at play here. I actually have a load of jumbled up thoughts written out but they're too jumbled up at present so I'm not posting them now. 

I definitely wouldn’t expect a disintegration if the SF vote. My point is more about potential growth. Where it comes from, who it comes at the expense of, and why that happens. The demography is unlikely to change to such a radical extent over the next four years that FF/FG plummet to levels where they don’t even have to be considered for government talks. Essentially, they’ll more than likely remain king makers even with further losses. In five years time, pride may we’ll have been swallowed by one or other party to coalesce with SF. If FF hold, or even drop a few seats, they would still be in range. This would also require the numbers to stay broadly the same for the disparate left, which would facilitate a wider left-wing coalition (albeit with SF at the top).

Edited by Het-field - 17 Feb 2020 at 1:50pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:48pm
FFG will probably drop to 65-68 seats. SF will probably go to 50. The Greens will drop, perhaps by a little, perhaps by a lot, Labour will rise slightly, we will see slightly more independents get in. 

SF do perform one extremely valuable function. They keep out the far right. All the sorts of demographics that vote far right in other countries vote Sinn Fein here, and that means the far right are kept as a crackpot fringe.

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Feb 2020 at 2:50pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:58pm

Random thought 1:

What is SF's coalition of voters? We can see it evolve over time. In 1997 it was the "Up the RA" nationalists. In 2002 and 2007 it built on that by bringing in urban working class communities ravaged by drugs and poverty. In 2011 it branched out to bring in mainly younger working or middle class people who had been badly affected by the financial crash. In 2016 you saw them start to attract the old Fianna Fail rural Republican vote. Now in 2020 Mary Lou McDonald has made serious inroads with middle Ireland, suburban commuters, women. And SF are socially liberal. And always there has been a protest vote element to Sinn Fein's appeal.

Yet at the same time as being socially liberal, SF's key element is still, and will be for the foreseeable futurethat they are the party of the IRA. SF will say that certain individual atrocities that happened during the Troubles, ie. Warrington, La Mon, Enniskillen, Joanne Mathers, were “wrong”, yet the people that carried them out will always have a place at the SF table.

A lot of SF supporters are furious about what they perceive as corruption - there's a sort of fanatical, populist anti-corruption drive there like you see with Bolsonaro in Brazil and his justice minister Judge Moro (which was pure bullsh*t, as the corruption of Bolsonaro and Moro completely dwarfed anything that went on in the PT of Lula and Dilma), or even Gemma O'Doherty, yet SF supporters will roll their eyes when anybody references the Northern Bank robbery, and they see no problem with Mary Lou McDonald referencing Slab Murphy as a “good Republican”.

SF suppporters tend to be socially liberal, yet will roll their eyes when bullying within the party is brought up.

SF supporters will say they are anti-fascist, but will roll their eyes at anybody referencing Mary Lou McDonald eulogising actual Nazi supporter Sean Russell as a problem.

Some SF supporters are some of the most fanatical in terms of bringing up problematic things that other people have said in the past, yet see no contradiction in dismissing things SF people have said or done in the past as “in the past” and “irrelevant”.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:07pm

Random thought 2:

FF's coalition of voters has disintegrated. They are now the party of rural mass goers and their urban working class appeal has collapsed. Their Republican party credentials have collapsed. They are the party of the No vote in the same sex marriage and 8th Amendment referendums.

FFG will definitely try to implement a Sinn Fein light type policy agenda with special focus on housing. FF when in power are always populist. 

SF now aspire to be Haughey era FF. They aspire to wholesale consume FF's old coalition of voters. Mary Lou McDonald's appeal now is like Bertie Ahern's. SF's appeal as a whole is like Haughey's. Divisive certainly, a whiff of cordite always, but they inspire undying loyalty among many of those those who vote for them.

Random thought 3:

The democratic system we have inevitably leads to auction politics at a certain point in a cycle. A political cycle is like an economic cycle. Boom to bust. 

When an election happens, getting elected, getting more seats becomes more important to parties than a coherent political ideology.

Look back to the cycle that started in the early to mid-1990s and ended with the financial crash.

There are all sorts of ways you can look at this. One is that as general standards of living rise, the expectations of people become higher. In 1997, Labour had been in government for five years, and had in general been pretty successful across the two coalition governments they'd been in. FG and Labour went into that election on a platform not unlike FG's this time, that it had been, or at least was perceived to be, a responsible and reasonably successful government that had put a solid foundation in place for future years.

FG gained in that 1997 election, but Labour lost half their seats. Then we were back to FF, and by 2002, the ground had moved and we were into the populist cycle, with FF and their SSIAs and FGs promise to refund Eircom shareholders. The 2007 election campaign existed almost in a fantasy, twilight zone of policy with the main issue being who was offering the biggest handout to first time buyers.

Random thought 4:

I do think there is an over eagerness on behalf of left voters to punish left parties for not being miracle workers. But you can understand it because people in these communities are often desperate and telling people to basically wait 10 or 15 years and you might see some improvement in your circumstances doesn't cut it.

On the other hand FF and particularly FG voters don't care about the working classes. They never will. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:24pm
Random thought 5:

Most people do not follow politics day to day. They have a simplistic understanding of complicated things.

You have to come back to the media environment in which we now exist. To some extent this always existed, but we are in an era of the soundbyte, the easy answer, the cult of the miracle worker. Twitter is posion because it feeds that, it makes people hysterical and look for easy answers to everything.

I heard about Sinn Fein used "memes" to their advantage. That's good strategy for getting votes, but how does it promote any understanding of politics? It doesn't. It does the opposite, it simplifies it to empty slogans.

In the 1980s and 1990s when I was growing up, the major world issues of the day were framed as simplistic good v evil, and to a large were actually that. Communist repression in Eastern Europe, the struggle to end apartheid in South Africa. We saw Thatcher as an evil but at the same time a lot us saw the IRA as such too and we certainly saw the Loyalists and the British Army as evil.

I think people yearn for that type of simplistic narrative to understand a deeply complex world. In some places it is appropriate. Trump and Putin and Boris Johnson can all to some extent be understood on a superficial level as wrong or evil but on a deeper level they cannot be divorced from the real issues which led to them. We can see mass disinformation and propaganda, particularly right-wing disinformation and propaganda, as a legitimate evil.

Ad yet I don't think Ireland fits into that narrative particularly well. 

And more yet, what Sinn Fein currently employ is the cult of the miracle worker. FF can hardly complain becasue for years they operated a variation of it.

It comes back to feelings. In an ideal world, we would all like to pay no taxes and have great public services. We would like plentiful social housing with a good social mix where it exists. We would like fully state funded childcare, a national health service, an underground system in Dublin, a national network of cycle lanes, a state pension age of 65 or less, transport for rural people to go home from the pub, and thriving rural communities.

At the same time there is a Marxist "us versus them" strain within Sinn Fein where the rhetoric is “tax the rich, not the poor”. 

Random thought 6:

Maybe politics as we know it should be a choice between a low tax, crap public service and public provision model, or a Scandinavian style model. 

But it isn't really. 

Sinn Fein are sort of claiming to be aiming at that Scandinavian type model, yet they aren't, because they can't explain how they'll pay for it.

We all know Fine Gael are the money party. We all know Fianna Fail are the party of developers. Because the mood of the electorate has gone away from that, they will claim to be moving left. But we all know they don't really believe any of that stuff.

Our politics is based on two competing lies. The lie that one party is pro-Nordic model versus the lie that the other two main parties aren't really different shades of Irish Tories in disguise.

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Feb 2020 at 3:24pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:26pm
I wouldn't give SF, FG or FF the steam off my voting piss. 

Despite that, I hope SF can form a coalition - sure yee might as well see what they can do when they are in Government
It would damage this forums' reputation
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:32pm

Random thought 7:

Young people don't give a sh*t about the Troubles. They didn't live through them. Anybody under 28 doesn't even remember Omagh. And what went before that is irrelevant to them.

Even for SF supporters who are throroughly aware of the horrors of the Troubles, they are prepared to overlook that because they feel that Sinn Fein are taking housing seriously while FFG aren't.

For people who are aware of their history, they can point to the first leader of Fine Gael being an actual 1930s fascist. 

They can point to Fianna Fail and Fine Gael having TDs who were outright supporters of the Nazis. They can point to Fianna Fail and Fine Gael both being founded on war. They can point to Labour taking in Official IRA people. 

Random thought 8:

Internationally, we have a feeling for what is happpening. And that is that international capital in general is a rapacious thing which is focussed on defending untrammelled wealth, power and privilege at all costs, that the post-war idea of redistributive social democracy with its social contract no longer exists in any meaningful way.

That the financial crash of 2008 was merely the chickens coming home to roost from 35 years of destruction of the post-war idea of social democracy, of Thatcher and Reagan. That the response since then has been piecemeal at best, at worst a naked kleptocratic power grab by international capital with no thought for the lives of billions of ordinary people worldwide. That capitalism cannot see past its own nose, that it cannnot understand that a more equal society benefits everybody, and that capital will do anything to destroy politicians who advocate even midly redistributive social democracy.

That capital will do anything to destroy Corbyn, Sanders, and in its own way, Sinn Fein. And that makes people really, really pissed off. 

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:16pm

Random thought 7:

Young people don't give a sh*t about the Troubles. They didn't live through them. Anybody under 28 doesn't even remember Omagh. And what went before that is irrelevant to them.

I'm in my mid-thirties.

I remember helicopters taking off and landing next to my school, lessons having to wait til the noise subsided, for two or three minutes, as we sat in pre-fabs next to the army base, while the protestant kids a mile away sat in their brand new schools.

I remember playing football at lunch time in school and the downdraft from the chinooks blowing the ball to the other side of the pitch.

I remember the fear in my parents' voices when the car was stopped by an armed UDR patrol, not knowing if it was a real patrol or if it was what has now come to be known as the Glenanne Gang, killing people because they were Catholic.

I remember looking into the ditches from the back window of the car, and seeing nothing other than the whites of the eyes of a British soldier, likely a teenager from somewhere like Warrington, or Birmingham, or Guildford, signed up with patriotic fervour but now regretting it, with no real idea what he was doing in Ireland.

I remember thinking it was normal that soldiers in full body paint wandered the countryside armed with semi-automatic rifles, coming and going by helicopter.

I remember being in primary school and hearing a distant thud one day that was the sound of a car bomb blowing up outside a post office in a town three miles away.

I remember Loughinisland, as the vast majority of the rest of the island celebrated the win over Italy, while the nearest pub to my aunt and uncle's house was covered in blood.

I remember the Omagh bomb, answering the phone in the kitchen from my mother, as we'd been fixing fences outside, to hear her tell me about the bombing, and I remember it like it was yesterday (she wasn't in Omagh, she just wasn't at home that day).

I remember the conversation I had with a man who is good friends with my parents though, a man I worked for one summer in college, saying how he had to step over the dead and the dying that day, as he was in Omagh shopping with his wife and kids, and had just stepped into a shop past the car that blew up, about 30 seconds earlier.

I remember the red flashlights as the RUC pulled you over and asked a couple of innocuous sounding questions like where are you coming from and where are you going to, while the lad in the car ahead radioed in your number plate to see if you were a risk.

I remember that for 18 months, there was only one road in and out of Dungannon on Thomas Street, with every other way in and out closed by road blocks, choking off streets of businesses - Irish Street still hasn't recovered.

I grew up as a kid in rural County Tyrone at the end of the Troubles and basically didn't experience anything, yet just about every day there was something that I can only see now, looking back, wasn't ordinary, and wasn't the experience south of the border. My experience was categorically not that of the Creggan or the Falls Road or the Shankill or Portadown; it was a normal existence for a kid growing up in the country at the tail end of the Troubles. It's only now I see that what was normal for then and there was not normal.

Maybe I'm not a young person any more, and as a northerner living in the south I'm far from a typical voter, but it's a massive generalisation to say that young people don't care about the Troubles.

That's not to say I voted SF or didn't vote SF - I voted Green #1 and in Dublin SC, that was all my vote counted for.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:35pm
SD Clap
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Maybe I'm not a young person any more, and as a northerner living in the south I'm far from a typical voter, but it's a massive generalisation to say that young people don't care about the Troubles.

That's not to say I voted SF or didn't vote SF - I voted Green #1 and in Dublin SC, that was all my vote counted for.
I suppose for the purposes of this argument I'm classing young people as people who grew up in the 26 counties and who don't remember Omagh. 

My impresson is that they are in general more casually nationalist and more casually inclined to look upon the IRA as "the good guys" in the Troubles. 

If young people cared about what happened in the Troubles, they wouldn't be flocking to Sinn Fein in such numbers. They may know about what the IRA did, they may not, but either way they're either bllissfully ignorant, prepared to overlook it, or may actually be prepared to retrospectively support it.

I also voted Green, in Dublin Mid West, my vote didn't get Peter Kavanagh in, but my transfer helped get Gino Kenny in. 

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Feb 2020 at 6:05pm
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 7:23pm
People evidently don't care about the past. You just need to look at fellas linked to corruption in Fine Gael and Fianna Fail.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 7:38pm

FFG are not going to suddenly rebound in popularity. This is as much a cultural or a worldview thing as anything else. Their vote has been in long term decline for decades. FG and particularly FF represent old Ireland. SF/Greens/Soc Dems/PBP represent a new Ireland. These parties or their politics in general are who young people vote for and identify with, and if one is seen to blot their copybook as Labour did after 2011, they'll just shift to another left party. In the five General Elections I've been eligible to vote in, no FFG candidate has made it into my top 8 preferences. I don't ever foresee a situation where that would change. I'd venture that I'm in the majority of people 40 or under in that mindset.

And look at the retail politicians in Irish politics now. FF used to specialise in them. Haughey, Ahern, Willie O'Dea. Who do they have now? FG aren't much better in terms of retail appeal.

Sinn Fein have Mary Lou, Pearse Doherty, Eoin O'Broin, Cullinane, Matt Carthy, Donncha O'Laoghaire, Louise O'Reilly. They will make absolute hay with a FFG coalition. 

And the other gifted retail politicians in Irish politics are all on the left too. Boyd Barrett, Shortall, even AOR, Nash and Kelly in Labour, Hourigan of the Greens, even Saoirse McHugh from outside the Dail. They are the ones who will shape the politics and the terms of the debate of the next five years, not FFG.

Eoghan Harris or Ruth Dudley Edwards can shout as much as they want, nobody under 60 even is listening to them.

Amazing what the Shinners winning a dozen extra seats does. And yet they still haven't the numbers to run, or indeed lead the country.

As for only the wrinklies voting FF/FG,  one or the other has run the country since the foundation of the state, and (thanks to the shinners appalling vote mismanagement) one of them got the largest number of seats in this election as well. The Shinners had enough votes to win another 20 seats, yet played the safe card and instead saw all their surpluses get candidates from other parties elected. 

I didn't know who I would vote for until I had the ballot paper in my hand. I don't believe in socialism and I don't really want to vote FF, because I remember all of what they did last time. But I can't vote FG either until they have a new leader in place. If Coveney or Harris or McEntee or Donohoe or anyone else is their leader, I will be more than happy to vote for their candidate in my constituency again.

The Shinners celebrated winning a few extra seats, (despite the fact they should have won many more) singing ditties that they've all sung since the year dot. That's fine when they have no responsibility and can howl at the moon all they like. Now they have to grow up and act like respectable leaders with serious responsibilities. One or more of them has to go to London and Brussels and engage responsibly with the Brits, in a delicate period in Anglo-Irish relations, and they can't throw the border poll option if they don't get everything their way. One careless comment, tribal tune, or reckless move could set back relations for years. If they ever get into office that is. 

Much as I want a new Prime Minister in place asap, and certainly before the Dail goes on it's annual world tour next month, the election result means we will probably be stuck with the status quo for another while. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 200>
  Share Topic