You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 200>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:43am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Headline grabber in my opinion. I would have thought Alan Kelly would be chasing that. 

It'll probably be Kelly and if so he'll be the final nail into the Labour party coffin.

If its Ó Ríordáin though he has the potential to turn their fortunes around to some degree.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Headline grabber in my opinion. I would have thought Alan Kelly would be chasing that. 

It'll probably be Kelly and if so he'll be the final nail into the Labour party coffin.

If its Ó Ríordáin though he has the potential to turn their fortunes around to some degree.
Would agree with that. O Riordain would be far better placed to grow the party imo 

Edit; just looking at PP there & Aodhan is fav @4/5 followed by Kelly @ 9/4

Edited by 9fingers - 13 Feb 2020 at 9:50am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

While I wouldn’t agree with everything O Riordain has said, he is undoubtedly the best candidate for the job. Particularly his values would best accord with a progressive, social democratic Labour Party. He is generally a good media performer and I feel has the capacity to carry the youth vote. As I said yesterday, cooperation with the SDs will be the interesting thing as both a very closely aligned. Could this lead to heavy co-operation or even some form of merger?

I also noticed in the IT Labour intend to ensure their Senate candidates are vibrant, young and untarnished. There were definitely GE candidates who did okay, who fit that bill. I feel the Senate can only do so much for a profile, but it will increase their PP and visibility at National Level.

Edited by Het-field - 13 Feb 2020 at 9:52am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:30am
It seems some of the Rural Independents have stated a willingness to engage with a view to Government formation and MLM has opened lines of communication with Martin. This is very interesting as this does indeed have the numbers to form an administration. It will all depend now on whether FF will entertain discussions, actively participate, or refuse.

If FF engage, I feel we are looking at the next Government.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 2:03pm
“Parachute” payments totaling €2 million for the sitting TD’s and Senators who unsuccessfully ran in the Election.
Averaging €45,000 each.
Some of it in a lump sum, some to be paid over a longer/later term.

I’ll sleep better tonight so.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 3:26pm
RTE seem to think that FF have decided not to talk to SF.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
I think that 'up the RA' stuff was a serious own goal and now parties are distancing themselves from SF. Also doesn't do the cause of a united Ireland any good. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I’m surprised. For the last 30 years FF have wavered in every principle they once had about opposition over power sharing. I felt this was the ultimate inevitability. Perhaps when other negotiations have broken down this might be revisited, but I felt this was perhaps a quick resolution to something which I felt would take longer.

I can’t see FG confidence and supplying FF, or agreeing to pass budgets, leaving FF in on a minority basis. Politically, it could kill both parties. Also, I’m not sure all the small parties would join with FF. the likes of Solidarity wouldn’t consider it, and the Labour Party and SDs May feel it’s too troublesome.  
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I’m surprised. For the last 30 years FF have wavered in every principle they once had about opposition over power sharing. I felt this was the ultimate inevitability. Perhaps when other negotiations have broken down this might be revisited, but I felt this was perhaps a quick resolution to something which I felt would take longer.

I can’t see FG confidence and supplying FF, or agreeing to pass budgets, leaving FF in on a minority basis. Politically, it could kill both parties. Also, I’m not sure all the small parties would join with FF. the likes of Solidarity wouldn’t consider it, and the Labour Party and SDs May feel it’s too troublesome.  

The language used is interesting. They have agreed not to go into Government with SF or they have agreed not to form a coalition and will talk to other parties first. But what they haven't done(yet anyways) is say categorically we rule out going into coalition with SF under any circumstance. Which seems to be the FG line. I have a feeling Martin will be feeling huge pressure internally over this and the more Conservative FF'ers he has surrounded himself with- Niall Collins, Jim O'Callaghan, Thomas Byrne and others will face being outmaneuvered. It's an internal battle for a few weeks now within FF- who comes out on top will dictate whether its government with SF or another election. There must be zero appetite for confidence and supply or coalition within FG. It is much better for them to stay out and rebuild shoring up the centre right vote.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 7:36pm
Could be ff and FG and greens now. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Just what the country wanted
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:20pm
another election in 2020 is 2/1.
Lump job
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:37pm
Belgium had no government for 18 months less than 10 years ago. Many Belgians didn't notice the difference with some claiming it was the best government they ever had!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by ontheball ontheball wrote:

Belgium had no government for 18 months less than 10 years ago. Many Belgians didn't notice the difference with some claiming it was the best government they ever had!

There’s no government like no government.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:10pm

Nearly every option for FF/FG theoretically leaves them shrinking in size seats wise and losing votes to SF either quickly (if another election called within weeks) or eventually (next election after Government term). 

Maybe they'll come to the conclusion that they may as well shrink while in power rather than in opposition, gambling that they may have some success in attempting to fix housing/health and limit SF's growth for the next election if that could be achieved. 

Success in fixing those 2 things, never mind anything else, is probably not likely, but that might not stop them taking the gamble regardless. Greens won't prove an issue for any combination of 70 plus seats, they'll set an agenda around the Environment and most of their demands/requests in relation to that will be granted. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Nearly every option for FF/FG theoretically leaves them shrinking in size seats wise and losing votes to SF either quickly (if another election called within weeks) or eventually (next election after Government term). 

Maybe they'll come to the conclusion that they may as well shrink while in power rather than in opposition, gambling that they may have some success in attempting to fix housing/health and limit SF's growth for the next election if that could be achieved. 

Success in fixing those 2 things, never mind anything else, is probably not likely, but that might not stop them taking the gamble regardless. Greens won't prove an issue for any combination of 70 plus seats, they'll set an agenda around the Environment and most of their demands/requests in relation to that will be granted. 

If FF and FG were to go in together I’d say there’s a very good chance we’d see civil unrest and large scale protests. i know people will say they have a mandate etc but people really don’t want them in power again

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 13 Feb 2020 at 10:40pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:42pm
Well at least 43% of people who voted do. Throw in the SDs and greens and you have 53%. 

Edited by Baldrick - 13 Feb 2020 at 10:44pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:20pm
FG and FF could allow a minority SF government, sit back and block every bit of legislation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 200>
  Share Topic