You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 204>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:20am
And Brand's 'truth' is actually very lazy, bog standard, and well worn theory. Its 'follow the money and join the dots'. That's not new. Equally, on Russia-Ukraine, there is noting remotely novel about his arguments, in fact its the same tired and debunked lines about provocation, encroachment, and the US military complex.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

And Brand's 'truth' is actually very lazy, bog standard, and well worn theory. Its 'follow the money and join the dots'. That's not new. Equally, on Russia-Ukraine, there is noting remotely novel about his arguments, in fact its the same tired and debunked lines about provocation, encroachment, and the US military complex.

I havan't watched his video much. Maybe one about 18 months ago.  All these conspiracy theorists speak with conviction that they sucker in gullible people.  They talk absolute muck but they people will believe anyone with a bit of conviction.

Heil heil

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I havan't watched his video much. Maybe one about 18 months ago.  All these conspiracy theorists speak with conviction that they sucker in gullible people.  They talk absolute muck but they people will believe anyone with a bit of conviction.

A debate he had with Peter Hitchins on drug policy from 2014 is worth watching to see how Brand engaged debate in the early days of his 'political career.'. He just keeps talking and interrupting and talking over Hitchins. By speaking clearly, and at speed Brand can convince some that his argument is intelligent and coherent, when it is actually rambling and wrong.
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:38am

Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

The jump to conclusions game is in full swing again I see

I don't think its an unfair leap. I saw an interesting tweet around Russell Brand the other day which spoke of believing one conspiracy theory (holding a firm belief in it), is the gateway to believing a lot more conspiracy theories. 

As Artie said, these people need to be exposed for the idiots that they are in a public forum where the purpose of their protest can be debated and discussed like adults.

There is a serious discussion to be had about the immigration issue, as well as the content of some of these books targeted at young teenagers. No politician will touch a lot of issues because of these labels that are applied to anyone who questions it. See also the Tánaiste's attack on the ditch because of Russian funding

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:44am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I saw a clip last night about Brand asking Venessa Felts and can he ride her 15 yo daughter on his TV show some years back.

He’s a scumbag. I’d forgotten the stuff with Andrew Sachs till the other day as well. 
He’s a big fan of teenagers 

I remember that incident as well and thought it was well below the belt.
Yeah it’s kinda mad looking back at what they were let away with before the line was drawn. 
Brand & Fielding riding Geldofs teenage daughters, no wonder he called him a **** on stage. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:45am

I don't think its an unfair leap. I saw an interesting tweet around Russell Brand the other day which spoke of believing one conspiracy theory (holding a firm belief in it), is the gateway to believing a lot more conspiracy theories. 

As Artie said, these people need to be exposed for the idiots that they are in a public forum where the purpose of their protest can be debated and discussed like adults.

There is a serious discussion to be had about the immigration issue, as well as the content of some of these books targeted at young teenagers. No politician will touch a lot of issues because of these labels that are applied to anyone who questions it. See also the Tánaiste's attack on the ditch because of Russian funding

Is there though?
Like, most people I know don't seem to have an issue with it. And many of those that have appear to invent facts to justify their issues with it. 

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:50am

This is how we ended up with Trump and Brexit. You put an articulate or charismatic person with dangerous views in front of the public and they lap it up. The average member of the general public is a gullible simpleton.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:51am

But if they don't even know what they are protesting about then the terms of engagement cant even be set. On top of that, their mindset will mean that they won't even be required to debate in good faith, or be expected to debate on facts. The difficulty of exposing them in a public forum is that politics has now become a spectator sport, with entrenched sides. Also, we have had years of online debate about political matters, and rather than it increasing the standard of debate, it has debased it brutally, and has reinvigorated defunct, dead and discredited ideas.

But are the people at the Dail the correct people to have that discussion, or can these issues be discussed with them in good faith?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:57am
They all try and disguise their views with Trojan horses into the public domain by putting forward a "legitimate concern" and once in the door will slowly bring out their other crackpot views once given a public platform.

Like these nutters going on about UFOs and claiming its an aviation safety issue.  Once you let them in they would start bringing up US Government cover ups, etc...

For the protestors its always paedophilia or "think of the children" types.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

joe Brolly on Newstalk now and is spot on.  Great analysis

Listening too. He's terrific.

Would make a great politician.

Excellent to an extent. 

But he made it sound like everyone who has concerns over these books are far right nut jobs. 

They are not suitable  for kids, simple as that. 

Books in libraries Ger.  Most 12 year olds have smart phones and couldn’t tell you where their nearest library is.  If anyone is concerned about kids reading books in a library they have feic all to be worried about.  

This is just nonsense Baldy. 

This book is Gay was due to be on the JC curriculum and subsequently withdrawn after parents' worries. That's how far they have been pushed.

My 7 year old has been encouraged to join a library as he is an avid reader. I am sure many others have. He keeps asking to join (we haven't got around to it yet). I personally don't want him to be looking at a book that teaches you how to put a fist up your bloke's arse or how to use grindr. Not at 7, not at 14

The 'sure they have a mobile phone' is lazy. Sure they will drink anyway so will I just fill them full of booze and drugs at home when they are 14/15?

Edited by The GerK - 22 Sep 2023 at 10:08am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Like these nutters going on about UFOs and claiming its an aviation safety issue.  Once you let them in they would start bringing up US Government cover ups, etc...

And the UFO conspiracy theory has unsurprisingly made a comeback. The fact that UFO's can be traced back to the 1950s, at the same time science fiction stories about UFO's were first written, should give people a clue. But that wouldn't be politically useful for them. 

Since having kids, I have been interested in the fact that any time vaccines are made available (flu etc), there will always be at least one person on the class Whattsapp group that will ask who is consenting. Several years ago at a pre-natal class during the AOQ part, one couple started asking about whether we would be discussing vaccinations (the course leader said she wasn't touching it with a barge pole). But it does seem like vaccine skeptics go out of their way to try and start arguments, or pick fights if they can over the issue. I can only assume that their groupthink leaders tell them to find ways to 'educate' even if it means creating confrontation. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:06am

Excellent to an extent. 

But he made it sound like everyone who has concerns over these books are far right nut jobs. 

Books in libraries Ger.  Most 12 year olds have smart phones and couldn’t tell you where their nearest library is.  If anyone is concerned about kids reading books in a library they have feic all to be worried about.  

This is just nonsense Neil. 

This book is Gay was due to be on the JC curriculum and subsequently withdrawn after parents' worries. That's how far they have been pushed.

My 7 year old has been encouraged to join a library as he is an avid reader. I am sure many others have. He keeps asking to join (we haven't got around to it yet). I personally don't want him to be looking at a book that teaches you how to put a fist up your bloke's arse or how to use grindr. Not at 7, not at 14

The 'sure they have a mobile phone' is lazy. Sure they will drink anyway so will I just fill them full of booze and drugs at home when they are 14/15?

Ever considered moving to Florida???!!!
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Excellent to an extent. 

What sort of answer is that?

Question: Do you have kids and would you want that content pushed at them?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:25am
How is being stocked in a library pushed at them? 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:26am

Excellent to an extent. 

My comment was slightly sarcastic. 
I don't have kids - So many people will tell me that my opinion on this particular topic isn't valid.
But some teenagers will still be gay even if nobody is allowed to acknowledge that fact. 
And learning about how minorities are oppressed I would consider part of any rounded education. 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:27am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

How is being stocked in a library pushed at them? 

If you saw a porn mag with the lolipops in a shop what would you say?

Have you read what some librarians have said? NGOs pushing to place books where kids will see them.

It's simple, if the books are not suitable for kids, keep them out of their sight. 

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:30am

Excellent to an extent. 

I don't have kids - So many people will tell me that my opinion on this particular topic isn't valid.
But some teenagers will still be gay even if nobody is allowed to acknowledge that fact. 
And learning about how minorities are oppressed I would consider part of any rounded education. 

Yes of course they will be gay. but 12 year olds are kids. So I don't think it's appropriate for certain content to be in their reading section. 
It is akin to porn mags in the sweet section. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:33am

Excellent to an extent. 

Yes of course they will be gay. but 12 year olds are kids. So I don't think it's appropriate for certain content to be in their reading section. 
It is akin to porn mags in the sweet section. 

What age do kids start sex education these days?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 204>
  Share Topic