You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:23am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't think there's any way we can play two out and out strikers away to France. We tried it against Greece and even they overran us, what will France do to us at home?! 

It will need to be the three lads plus a Szmodics type player, Ogbene a more likely candidate for the role than Szmodics though. Johnston could have maybe done it but is injured. McGrath doesn't currently have a club.

It does look like we're one injury away from Jeff Hendrick starting the game. Other options could be Sykes (1 cap), Taylor (uncapped) or Ebosele (uncapped). Or to belatedly bring in McNamara (uncapped) to play right back and release Browne back into midfield. An abject failure to sufficiently develop the squad in truth.

He's brought in more players than any manager has in 20 years. The squad has been massively developed, but you can't legislate for this many injuries to important players, obviously their replacements are not going to be of the same standard 

Yes, who could have ever predicted that we might have two players injured at the same time...
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:24am
He'd be off his game to rest players with one eye on the Dutch game. Nobody expects a result in Paris but a hammering will see one of the final nails in his coffin.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:28am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Ferguson

Knight-------Ogbene

McClean-----Cullen----Molumby------Doherty

O'Shea------Egan-------Collins

Bazunu

I'd expect Kenny to go with the same system and team (where possible) that lost 1-0 at home.

Coleman is pretty much ruled out, so it's McClean or O'Dowda in.

Knowing us... Szmodics won't even be called up.

In an ideal world, agreed, thats pretty close to the line up. However he may well see the Dutch game as the real crunch and as a result rest a couple of those you name away to France in order to have them fresh for the Dutch game at home three days later. (plus Doherty is suspended for the French game at least, can anyone confirm if it's one game only?)

Did Doherty not serve his suspension vs Gibraltar?
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:32am

Ferguson

Knight-------Ogbene

Bazunu

I'd expect Kenny to go with the same system and team (where possible) that lost 1-0 at home.

In an ideal world, agreed, thats pretty close to the line up. However he may well see the Dutch game as the real crunch and as a result rest a couple of those you name away to France in order to have them fresh for the Dutch game at home three days later. (plus Doherty is suspended for the French game at least, can anyone confirm if it's one game only?)

Is it not a 3 game ban for a straight red?
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Ferguson

Knight-------Ogbene

Bazunu

Is it not a 3 game ban for a straight red?

Don't know if that applies to international football.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:44am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

He'd be off his game to rest players with one eye on the Dutch game. Nobody expects a result in Paris but a hammering will see one of the final nails in his coffin.

Not one single person will care about the French result if we beat the Dutch imo plus in terms of actually finishing 2nd a win vs the Dutch is likely more important. I think he has to approach the two games with a focus on the home game vs the Dutch. A valiant draw away to France and half the team absolutely wrecked followed by a defeat to the Dutch and it's all over.

Tbh Kenny's only chance of saving his job is to win the game vs the Dutch, accordingly he should be directing all his attention towards that game imo.

Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:47am
Barring something unusual, the midfield will be knight, cullen, and molumby. Arguably our strongest midfield anyway.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:48am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Barring something unusual, the midfield will be knight, cullen, and molumby. Arguably our strongest midfield anyway.

Jamie McGrath, the unsung hero of Éire.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:54am

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Not one single person will care about the French result if we beat the Dutch imo plus in terms of actually finishing 2nd a win vs the Dutch is likely more important. I think he has to approach the two games with a focus on the home game vs the Dutch. A valiant draw away to France and half the team absolutely wrecked followed by a defeat to the Dutch and it's all over.

It was all over two months ago John. He might as well have a crack at the French at this point. Throwing games isn't going to endear him to anyone.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Aug 2023 at 11:57am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 12:05pm

It was all over two months ago John. He might as well have a crack at the French at this point. Throwing games isn't going to endear him to anyone.

Don't agree it was all over but agree we should have a tilt at the french anyway.
Kenny's games are likely numbered so why not go for every single one.

And I forgot about Ogbene and agree he'd be in behind Evan.

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 3:02pm
What injury has Smallbone? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 3:29pm
being reported as an ankle injury that could keep him out for months
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 5:23pm
This lad is cursed with injuries and seems to get them at the worst possible times.
Hope he makes a quick recovery and the few international breaks might help minimise the club games he will miss.

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Aug 2023 at 5:23pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:48pm
Will Smallbone -Bone!
Always believe in your soul!
You've got the power to know
You're indestructible!
Always believe in....

Will Smallbone- Bone!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 10:36am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 11:25am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

This lad is cursed with injuries and seems to get them at the worst possible times.
Hope he makes a quick recovery and the few international breaks might help minimise the club games he will miss.

Will Weakbones
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Will Weakbones

Or simply Will has Small Bones
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 2:34pm

Possibly not quite as bad as previously reported.

Good news.  I'm assuming still a big doubt for September but hopefully not beyond that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 41>
  Share Topic