You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Loc Loc wrote:

I’d imagine he would be better off staying at Southampton and getting another full season of champ games. Think it could be a tough year for Sheff UTD.

Has a year left on his contract and Sheffield United supposedly willing to meet his wage demands but Southampton aren't.

With West Ham agreeing a deal for Warde Prowse and Lavia in demand it might be wise alright for him to hold off on talks with anyone. Not sure what other options they've got which can replace Smallbone if he refuses to sign a new contract. But if his contract situation doesn't affect his game time hold out and see what interest is there in January.

It's looking like Smallbone or Shea Charles for the DM playmaker role with Lavia likely to go. Charles has apparently had a poor start at Southampton and hasn't looked ready for senior football, so Smallbone looks secure in the team at this point. Of course there's three weeks left in the window and Southampton will be sitting on a pile of cash from player sales, so they could sign someone else. But even if they did, they would probably just be moving Smallbone into a more advanced midfield role.
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 12:33pm
Sheffield United look like theyll do well to get 20 points. Not only have they not strengthened, theyve actively weakened themselves.

They've lost 2 of their best players and no sign of their loan starters coming back either. 

I'd usually be of the opinion to get PL football no matter what as a player but I dont think Smallbone will get a chance to shine. Sheffield United are doomed.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Sheffield United look like theyll do well to get 20 points. Not only have they not strengthened, theyve actively weakened themselves.

They've lost 2 of their best players and no sign of their loan starters coming back either. 

I'd usually be of the opinion to get PL football no matter what as a player but I dont think Smallbone will get a chance to shine. Sheffield United are doomed.

Agreed. Southampton will push hard for automatic promotion and dominate most games this season.

Sheffield Utd might finish 20th. Luton will struggle, but have gone about their recruitment way more shrewdly. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:23am
Expected to be out injured for "months".
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:28am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Expected to be out injured for "months".

Jesus wept.
Is it a break?
Can't find details online yet but fearing the worst Cry
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:35am
Our players always pick up injuries at the worst times.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:35am
Means the midfield pretty much picks itself for the September games now anyway.

Looking very light there now with Browne probably having to drop back to right back for the first game. Paying the price again for not blooding any new right backs after Christie was jettisoned from the squad.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Aug 2023 at 10:37am
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:43am
Get Sammie Szmodics into the team.

Midfield three of Cullen-Molumby/Knight with Szmodics in front of them.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:46am
Young Szmodics has plenty of time and is one for the future
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:47am
You'd probably need those three plus Szmodics behind Ferguson (as a lone striker) to avoid getting overrun in Paris.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Aug 2023 at 10:47am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:57am
Be shocked if a new lad like Szmodics was anywhere near the starting 11 in Paris.

Will be the three midfield lads, Evan up top and then Idah or even Keane (decent start to his season and Kenny often throws in a bolter) in there.
Jaysus, when I type it out, we really are bare.
Heaven forbid if Evan gets injured Pinch

Gutted for Smallbone who looked like he was settling into an excellent season of football as a deep-lying playmaker.

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:01am

You'd probably need those three plus Szmodics behind Ferguson (as a lone striker) to avoid getting overrun in Paris.

I wouldn't be against that.

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:03am

It's probably gonna be similar to the home game of 5-4-1 with Ogbene on the right of that midfield four.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:09am
I don't think there's any way we can play two out and out strikers away to France. We tried it against Greece and even they overran us, what will France do to us at home?! 

It will need to be the three lads plus a Szmodics type player, Ogbene a more likely candidate for the role than Szmodics though. Johnston could have maybe done it but is injured. McGrath doesn't currently have a club.

It does look like we're one injury away from Jeff Hendrick starting the game. Other options could be Sykes (1 cap), Taylor (uncapped) or Ebosele (uncapped). Or to belatedly bring in McNamara (uncapped) to play right back and release Browne back into midfield. An abject failure to sufficiently develop the squad in truth.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:13am

I don't think there's any way we can play two out and out strikers away to France. We tried it against Greece and even they overran us, what will France do to us at home?! 

It will need to be the three lads plus a Szmodics type player, Ogbene a more likely candidate for the role than Szmodics though. Johnston could have maybe done it but is injured. McGrath doesn't currently have a club.

It does look like we're one injury away from Jeff Hendrick starting the game. Other options could be Sykes (1 cap), Taylor (uncapped) or Ebosele (uncapped). Or to belatedly bring in McNamara (uncapped) to play right back and release Browne back into midfield. An abject failure to sufficiently develop the squad in truth.

He's brought in more players than any manager has in 20 years. The squad has been massively developed, but you can't legislate for this many injuries to important players, obviously their replacements are not going to be of the same standard 
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:14am

Horse manure!
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:14am

Ferguson

Knight-------Ogbene

McClean-----Cullen----Molumby------Doherty

O'Shea------Egan-------Collins

Bazunu

I'd expect Kenny to go with the same system and team (where possible) that lost 1-0 at home.

Coleman is pretty much ruled out, so it's McClean or O'Dowda in.

Knowing us... Szmodics won't even be called up.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Ferguson

Knight-------Ogbene

McClean-----Cullen----Molumby------Doherty

O'Shea------Egan-------Collins

Bazunu

I'd expect Kenny to go with the same system and team (where possible) that lost 1-0 at home.

Coleman is pretty much ruled out, so it's McClean or O'Dowda in.

Knowing us... Szmodics won't even be called up.

In an ideal world, agreed, thats pretty close to the line up. However he may well see the Dutch game as the real crunch and as a result rest a couple of those you name away to France in order to have them fresh for the Dutch game at home three days later. (plus Doherty is suspended for the French game at least, can anyone confirm if it's one game only?)
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 41>
  Share Topic