You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 41>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 1:51pm
Russell Martin on Smallbone:

“Will Smallbone coming back is like a new signing. He’s someone who really cares about the club, wants to be here and wants to prove to everyone that he’s ready to make an impact.

He came back later than everyone else because he had internationals. I tried to sign him at Swansea and we couldn’t as we had too many midfielders, so he knows how we feel about him."

Bodes well for him getting plenty minutes this season.

Southampton fans seems pleased with his pre-season performances so far, too.

Sponsored Links

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 2:21pm
Saw some highlights of Southamptons pre season games . Smallbone is doing well .  While Bazunu made some good saves he had some absolute howlers which he needs to start stamping out very soon 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 12:31am
Supposedly was excellent when he came on tonight
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 6:47pm
Reported to be of interest to Bournemouth, Nottingham Forest and Luton.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Luton would be the best move of the 3. He needs to be playing, don't think he'd be guaranteed starts at Forest or Bournemouth as it stands
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Luton would be the best move of the 3. He needs to be playing, don't think he'd be guaranteed starts at Forest or Bournemouth as it stands

And he would at Luton? No chance and them trying to cling on for dear life beating after beating in the PL. 
I love beer gardens
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

And he would at Luton? No chance and them trying to cling on for dear life beating after beating in the PL. 
Their squad looks pretty light in midfield at the moment, could see him getting more opportunities there. But yeah it would be a tough season if he did move
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 8:16pm
He'd be as well to stay with Southampton. They would have a good chance of promotion another full season would do him more good then a bit part season in the top division
It would damage this forums' reputation
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 9:23pm
I doubt there's anything more than a casual interest from those clubs, but even if there is serious interest, his best option is staying put. 

His development will be best served, after being at bottom half Stoke, by being at a club pushing for promotion and playing a good brand of football that should suit him down to the ground.

Southampton will be selling more high profiles players, there will be plenty games for him.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I doubt there's anything more than a casual interest from those clubs, but even if there is serious interest, his best option is staying put. 

His development will be best served, after being at bottom half Stoke, by being at a club pushing for promotion and playing a good brand of football that should suit him down to the ground.

Southampton will be selling more high profiles players, there will be plenty games for him.

He will play for Southampton this season. My issue with Southampton isn’t the manager or players it’s the board. What are they doing still playing Ward Prowse and young Charles had a play a pre season game at CB a few days ago cause they haven’t got ball playing defenders in. JWP should have been thanked for his service and sold ASAP to get funds into rebuild. 

Id be worried for the Irish lads there because I think there new board “Sports Republic” are going to make complete sh*t of them in the next 4/5 years. They just seem clueless. They have had the perfect platform to build a team to go straight back up and they have made a complete balls of it. 

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Jul 2023 at 4:36pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

He will play for Southampton this season. My issue with Southampton isn’t the manager or players it’s the board. What are they doing still playing Ward Prowse and young Charles had a play a pre season game at CB a few days ago cause they haven’t got ball playing defenders in. JWP should have been thanked for his service and sold ASAP to get funds into rebuild. 

Id be worried for the Irish lads there because I think there new board “Sports Republic” are going to make complete sh*t of them in the next 4/5 years. They just seem clueless. They have had the perfect platform to build a team to go straight back up and they have made a complete balls of it. 

They do need to get a wriggle on in moving players out, but there's still a month left in the transfer window. Think the manager even said there might be players starting the season that might not be there when the window closes.

As for CBs, I'd really like to see them pick up McNally.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

They do need to get a wriggle on in moving players out, but there's still a month left in the transfer window. Think the manager even said there might be players starting the season that might not be there when the window closes.

As for CBs, I'd really like to see them pick up McNally.

I wouldn’t be upset to see Smallbone go for this reason and I would hope Bazunu can just get through the season established as No.1 and get to the point where he can kick on again.

I get there’s a month left and they may sort it. This isn’t QPR or Cardiff with limited resources having to bide thier team to get in loan deals/free agents late. This is a side that has the potential to generate more in sales than any relegated team in history and had the best core/platform of any side to go straight back up. 

What’s Ward Prowse doing still at the club. Should have thanked them for his service and moved him on to whichever club he desired the first week of the window for £25/30m as opposed to demanding ridiculous money they weren’t getting. Charles is having to fill in CB. 

They haven’t got a ball playing CB in or a striker. They haven’t sold one of their players that will fetch them big money hence haven’t got these players in. 

McNally in theory Southampton would be perfect for him but again I hope he doesn’t as I think they have got clueless owners. They may prove me wrong and get away with it but I can’t see it. 

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Jul 2023 at 8:33pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 9:25pm
Playing well tonight from the bits I've seen but lost his man at the corner which led to that Sheffield Wednesday equaliser.
willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 9:59pm
Tailor made for the football Southampton are going to be playing this year in the championship if this first game is anything to go by. Looking very tidy on the ball. Could be a huge year for his development
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 3:19pm
Southampton rumored to have turned down a 2nd bid from Sheffield Utd for around 7m for Smallbone.
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 3:41pm
I’d imagine he would be better off staying at Southampton and getting another full season of champ games. Think it could be a tough year for Sheff UTD.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Loc Loc wrote:

I’d imagine he would be better off staying at Southampton and getting another full season of champ games. Think it could be a tough year for Sheff UTD.

Has a year left on his contract and Sheffield United supposedly willing to meet his wage demands but Southampton aren't.

With West Ham agreeing a deal for Warde Prowse and Lavia in demand it might be wise alright for him to hold off on talks with anyone. Not sure what other options they've got which can replace Smallbone if he refuses to sign a new contract. But if his contract situation doesn't affect his game time hold out and see what interest is there in January.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:04pm
Sheffield have lost Ndiaye & Berge in the last 7 days so he could well be going in as a starter. Hard to know what’s best, Russel a Martin seems a good progressive coach so could have Southampton straight back up. Sheffield United are one of the favorites to be relegated 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 41>
  Share Topic