You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 41>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Seeing a good amount of the ball in the first half, using the ball very well in an area of the pitch that ireland really don't have a lot of quality.

Great vision and pass to give Armstrong a chance that he should have done better with.

All in all a very good first half. He finds space really really well and is technically excellent.

If he stays injury free this guy seriously can't be far off a senior call.

Was watching and he had a good first half but faded in the 2nd.
Needs more games to get his fitness up, but good to see him out there tonight and will likely start in Sweden at the end of the month, so need him as fit as possible.

Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:42am
I don't think this lads ability is in doubt looks very comfortable at a high level everytime he plays. Didn't see the game tonight but by all accounts very good again. 

He seriously needs to stay fit now it's a massive worry he hasn't the last few years. We have 3 lads all young that I think would almost certainly be getting regular PL minutes only for stupid injury issues Idah Omobamidele and Smallbone. It's woeful frustrating and typical of our luck the last few years.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 1:09pm
Starts today against Watford. Probably gone and jinxed the lad now but a game you'd fancy Southampton in and a chance for him to impress. 

Hopefully a positive in what's been not the greatest weekend for Irish footballers on a macro level. 

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 1:19pm
This is great to see.
Won't take many PL starts before calls for his Senior call-up mount.

What I'd like to see for the lad for the remainder of the season is just to stay fit and get a few games under the belt.
If that happens, maybe then get him in in June.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 1:46pm
How's he playing for Southampton? In general?

Edited by Banjaxed - 13 Mar 2022 at 1:47pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

How's he playing for Southampton? In general?

He started the FA Cup match v a strong West Ham and did well, until he tired in the 2nd half, which would be expected.
He was playing quite advanced, picking out passes and got a couple of very good crosses in.
Will see where he lines out today but have to assume he is impresing in training if getting the start.

Like I said, let's see him get a run of games as that was a nasty injury he had.

To Left Foot, can'd disagree as our midfield options are very thin, so any lad who is a PL starter will be immediately propelled into our squad by default.  I just hope we let him get back to full fitness.

Edited by Fozz - 13 Mar 2022 at 1:53pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 2:27pm
Not 100% sure what formation Southampton are trying to play but at times it looks like Smallbone is supporting Che Adams in their usual 4-2-2-2 set up and then you see him dropping deeper when they don't have the ball and looks like a 4-4-1-1.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 2:51pm
Wouldn't be surprised to see Smallbone replaced at half time for one of the three strikers on the bench. Romeu has been sloppy but don't think he'd drop Smallbone back into the midfield two and take Romeu off instead.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 2:56pm
Doesn't sound as though he massively affected the game in the first half.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 3:01pm
Southampton Fans aren't exactly singing his praises.  Realistically you're talking about into next season before we can gauge where he's at.

mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 3:01pm
not a great first half. playing  very high up almost as a support striker that i dont think suits him, hopefully doesn’t get hooked at ht ere
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 3:03pm
Doesn't come back out for the second half. 

Realistically this lad would need a loan down the divisions for us to see where he's at.

Edited by You Tell Me - 13 Mar 2022 at 3:04pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Doesn't sound as though he massively affected the game in the first half.

No one from Southampton did really, and unfortunately for Smallbone he was the odd one out in today's line up so no surprise to see him replaced for an actual striker.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 5:36pm
Linked with Nottingham Forest by Pundit Arena. But since they think the Leeds defender is the Forest manager, you can probably file this with the Anthony Scully and Sean Maguire to Sunderland rumours.

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 8:28pm
best player on the pitch and it isnt even close.

He needs capped at the next earliest opportunity before England come in for him.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 8:28pm
England are not going to come in for this lad.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 8:31pm
No chance.
You can read a lot from the body-language of the players when you see them in-person.

This group are very tight, and any of them bring promoted to the seniors will find themselves in company they have likely played with at this level.

I know Saturday is still raw, and the Stephen Kenny thread has unearthed the snakes, but the future is still bright.

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 8:42pm
I don't see a reason to wait til next season. The senior midfield needs depth added to it immediately, can't really afford to wait 6-12 months, & he's shown Premiere League potential.

He has more senior appearances (including starts) than Idah or Parrott or Omobamidele had when they were called up.

He's just played 2 full 90's in 4 days without issue going strong right until the end of both, so fitness/injury wise he's fine.

Why wait? Get him in.

Kilkenny & Coventry too if the Italy game is a dead rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 41>
  Share Topic