You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 41>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 4:14pm
I thought he done very well, only issue being. Gareth Southgate and Aidy Bothroyd probably thought the same. 
Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 1:51am
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

I thought he done very well, only issue being. Gareth Southgate and Aidy Bothroyd probably thought the same. 

Off those 2 can f**k but its there job I suppose 

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 7:20pm
Named young player of the year at Southampton, 

Wouldn't be annoyed to see him in the squad tomorrow simply for the fact that he could potentially be a big player for us in the near future 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Named young player of the year at Southampton, 

Wouldn't be annoyed to see him in the squad tomorrow simply for the fact that he could potentially be a big player for us in the near future 

f**ked it name him in the squad 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 7:33pm
He should take Brady's place in the squad.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 7:44pm
I really hope kenny calls him up at the very least. Have we learnt anything from previous management mistakes? He was very good for Southampton this year and seems comfortably good enough for game time against Bulgaria, 

By all accounts is committed to us but with the Rice situation still fresh in the memory why not call him up and put him on. If he refuses the call up then we know where we stand, getting tired of the long drawn out sagas that inevitably end up with them choosing England 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN wrote:

I really hope kenny calls him up at the very least. Have we learnt anything from previous management mistakes? He was very good for Southampton this year and seems comfortably good enough for game time against Bulgaria, 

By all accounts is committed to us but with the Rice situation still fresh in the memory why not call him up and put him on. If he refuses the call up then we know where we stand, getting tired of the long drawn out sagas that inevitably end up with them choosing England  

I don’t think he will be called up tomorrow or even October but could certainly see him being called up by November if he plays/features off the bench weekly and impresses with Southampton (with Holjberg gone I suspect he will). I agree I think he looks a player and don’t think he’d be out of place in the squad tomorrow btw.

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN wrote:

I don’t think he will be called up tomorrow or even October but could certainly see him being called up by November if he plays/features off the bench weekly and impresses with Southampton (with Holjberg gone I suspect he will). I agree I think he looks a player and don’t think he’d be out of place in the squad tomorrow btw.

At the end of the season he was actually ahead of Hojiberg in the pecking order. He has looked good in flashes but needs to bulk up a bit. No harm capping him but from what I've seen so far he has a fair bit of developing to do before (and I think he will) becoming a starting player for us
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 9:17pm
Will save you the suspense. He won't be getting a call up tomorrow.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

He has 9 premier league caps with 2 assists. He started to see more game time towards the end of the season and he plays in a position that ireland have been crying out for.

Southampton have always had a first class youth system and he is the pick of the bunch this year. 

Picking Smallbone is a little more long sighted than picking Whelan or Brady in my opinion.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 10:05pm

Pretty much it isn’t it I’d want a big price him being in it tomorrow. I agree with leftfoot btw wouldn’t mind seeing him picked I think he seems to have a real bit of quality about him. Could easily be in the squad if not pushing for a start next spring if he continues rolling along with Southampton and considering the mass Hassenhuttl seems to have in him no reason why wouldn’t be playing regularly for them with luck.

Edited by kevin100 - 23 Aug 2020 at 10:05pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

He has 9 premier league caps with 2 assists. He started to see more game time towards the end of the season and he plays in a position that ireland have been crying out for.

Southampton have always had a first class youth system and he is the pick of the bunch this year. 

Picking Smallbone is a little more long sighted than picking Whelan or Brady in my opinion.

Brady is a 28 year old premier league player, Wheland is a 36 year old L1 player. Their situations are hardly comparable.
We're decent enough..
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:02am
Kenny has already said he'll be with the 21s
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 6:10pm

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 25 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 6:15pm
Depending on what's going on behind the scenes, I feel it's a mistake not to include Smallbone in the senior squad for the Nations League.

From the perspective of pure merit he should be in there, given his stand-out performances in the PL in the second half of the season, above and beyond the likes of say Idah, Parrott or O'Dowda (or even Brady).

But also in terms of the type of player he is: our squad is missing that kind of ball-playing midfielder and could genuinely benefit from his inclusion.  Also, being very young and Nations League being a solid competitive basis for integrating players, without world cup qualifying points at stake, it seems a missed opportunity.

My own suspicion is that there is more to this than meets the eye, but I hope I'm wrong.  Kenny said early doors Smallbone would be in the U21s.  However, if he was from Sheriff Street, Cork or Galway with 9 starring PL appearance (mostly after lockdown), I suspect he'd be in there.

If I'm wrong in that suspicion, it does seem a wasted opportunity to not get him involved.  His high potential for having a big role for us in years to come seems obvious - and Nations League are the games to lay the foundations for that.

I hope we don't end up regretting omitting him.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Depending on what's going on behind the scenes, I feel it's a mistake not to include Smallbone in the senior squad for the Nations League.

From the perspective of pure merit he should be in there, given his stand-out performances in the PL in the second half of the season, above and beyond the likes of say Idah, Parrott or O'Dowda (or even Brady).

But also in terms of the type of player he is: our squad is missing that kind of ball-playing midfielder and could genuinely benefit from his inclusion.  Also, being very young and Nations League being a solid competitive basis for integrating players, without world cup qualifying points at stake, it seems a missed opportunity.

My own suspicion is that there is more to this than meets the eye, but I hope I'm wrong.  Kenny said early doors Smallbone would be in the U21s.  However, if he was from Sheriff Street, Cork or Galway with 9 starring PL appearance (mostly after lockdown), I suspect he'd be in there.

If I'm wrong in that suspicion, it does seem a wasted opportunity to not get him involved.  His high potential for having a big role for us in years to come seems obvious - and Nations League are the games to lay the foundations for that.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but there's a possibility that Smallbone told Kenny he wants to stay with the under 21s for now.

Either way, I'm relaxed about it. Save for Arter, there's nobody in the squad he should be in there ahead of on merit. Sure Josh Cullen and Jason Knight aren't in there either, and they have just as much a right to be in there as him.

I don't agree with capping every English born player with the slightest modicum of potential in competitive games. If some lads had their way Smallbone, Ferry, Hodge, L. Kelly, Field, Odubeko, Okoflex, Coventry, Connell, Kian Flanagan, Charsley, Ronan, Crowley, Scully and Harvey Neville would all be tied down for us by now.

People just assume that if lads like Smallbone were called up for a competitive game, they would gladly accept and sit on the bench hoping for a 15 second cameo before being out of sight and out of mind again once they can't play for anyone else.

Sure these lads have agency. They're aware of the rules the same way we are and they are just as likely to say "thanks, but no thanks" to any cynical call up if they have any inclination to play for another team.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 6:58pm
I've no doubts about this lad and I also doubt he'd request to be in the 21s.

His development has been rapid this last few months but he's only represented Ireland at U19 and so it's logical to get him into the 21s, to get a better feel of how Kenny wants to play etc.

There's club games between now and the October squad which will have a bearing on that lineup.
If Smallbone is featuring for So'ton regularly and is still omitted, then we can ask questions of Kenny's choices but, for now, all seems above board and logical.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 6:59pm
I think its fair to say that If a player wants to play for a country he feels closer to then we should wish that player well.

What we dont want to see is a player who already knows that he would refuse to play in the senior team and tied down to us and opt to play in the u21s instead for the meantime. 

Smallbone is a player we've been crying out for, great on the ball and links midfield with attack. I think he could have a massive future in a green shirt.
I'm optimistic he'll stay with us and could very well be in the next squad selection 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 41>
  Share Topic