You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:17am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Any midfielder that's the PL minutes on the regular should be walking into our squad as it stands agreed.

If he got 15-20 appearances for Southampton with a few starts thrown in this season I'd be delighted key is he stays fit this season and builds up gradually. 

Agreed he was on the cusp of getting regular minutes and it just summed up our fortunes last year looked like being a rare bright light for us.

What are your thoughts on him staying with us? Any chance he could do a Grealish?
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Any midfielder that's the PL minutes on the regular should be walking into our squad as it stands agreed.

If he got 15-20 appearances for Southampton with a few starts thrown in this season I'd be delighted key is he stays fit this season and builds up gradually. 

Agreed he was on the cusp of getting regular minutes and it just summed up our fortunes last year looked like being a rare bright light for us.

What are your thoughts on him staying with us? Any chance he could do a Grealish?

Realistically he's a mile away from England look at the talent they have in his position. Always a chance he could do that but my attitude is until he indicates otherwise be happy to assume he's committed to us. No point tarring every player with that brush.

Edited by kevin100 - 16 Oct 2021 at 11:28am
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:58am

Not many players his age playing in the PL declare for us without some kind of protracted chase. Most of them are several years older and/or playing further down the pyramid. Be interesting to see what would happen alright.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Not many players his age playing in the PL declare for us without some kind of protracted chase. Most of them are several years older and/or playing further down the pyramid. Be interesting to see what would happen alright.

That's why I feel, assuming he gets first team minutes at Southampton, it might be better bypassing the U21 set up and get him in to the senior squad for the March friendlies. We can then look at giving him competitive minutes in the NL in June and get him tied down. All this is of course based on him getting back to his pre-injury form and back in to the first team picture @ Southampton.
Idah Dream!
musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 12:03pm
Very excited that he is on the way back - such a great prospect.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 12:18pm

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Will he be looking to play centrally for Southampton? Accounting for their 4-2-2-2 formation, would he be in the middle two or the pressing winger two? I have a recollection most of his games were wide when he got the runs that time. 

Certainly higher up the pitch, not one of the deeper two, from what I saw I had him down as a CAM, a Lallana type, definitely not a wide player, but others may have seen more of him. In the current ireland setup, I would see him playing as one of the 2 behind the striker.

Cheers. Only issue there is that there is no 10 spot with Southampton. He'd have to play wide to play advanced. 

On another point re doing a Grealish, I believe his mother is Irish which is helpful. A few good performances to get a Nation's League cap in March will hopefully put it to bed. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 12:30pm

Will he be looking to play centrally for Southampton? Accounting for their 4-2-2-2 formation, would he be in the middle two or the pressing winger two? I have a recollection most of his games were wide when he got the runs that time. 

Certainly higher up the pitch, not one of the deeper two, from what I saw I had him down as a CAM, a Lallana type, definitely not a wide player, but others may have seen more of him. In the current ireland setup, I would see him playing as one of the 2 behind the striker.

Cheers. Only issue there is that there is no 10 spot with Southampton. He'd have to play wide to play advanced. 

On another point re doing a Grealish, I believe his mother is Irish which is helpful. A few good performances to get a Nation's League cap in March will hopefully put it to bed. 

NL doesn't start until June I think, friendlies in March afaik but your point stands. If he's playing in the PL, we need to be capping him sooner rather than later.
Idah Dream!
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 1:16pm
He’s almost 22 and barely kicked a ball professionally and looked fairly average when he has. There is no need for tying him down. He plays for Ireland or no one. He’s absolutely fecking miles off even being in the back of Southgate’s mind let alone getting called up for England. 

One decent game and controlling a ball has you lauded in our parts, let’s not pretend England are fishing in the same waters. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 2:12pm
Doesnt make the squad this weekend anyway. Doubt he will be rushed back into the first team anyway. Should be left to build up fitness and form with the reserves for a few weeks.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

He’s almost 22 and barely kicked a ball professionally and looked fairly average when he has. There is no need for tying him down. He plays for Ireland or no one. He’s absolutely fecking miles off even being in the back of Southgate’s mind let alone getting called up for England. 

One decent game and controlling a ball has you lauded in our parts, let’s not pretend England are fishing in the same waters. 

Think you're trying trying to compare him to a finished article.which he isn't yet of course. There's a lot of talent there, he finds a forward pass, moves the ball quickly and is technically.very good. 

When he was 20 he was a bit slight and needed to add a bit of muscle.to his body, he did that last year but injury cut short his progress.

I'm pretty sure Southampton are managing his return carefully but this guy is some raw talent. I agree with another poster on him taking his time to get back to full fitness and come March he will.likely be in the mix for a senior call.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Think you're trying trying to compare him to a finished article.which he isn't yet of course. There's a lot of talent there, he finds a forward pass, moves the ball quickly and is technically.very good. 

When he was 20 he was a bit slight and needed to add a bit of muscle.to his body, he did that last year but injury cut short his progress.

I'm pretty sure Southampton are managing his return carefully but this guy is some raw talent. I agree with another poster on him taking his time to get back to full fitness and come March he will.likely be in the mix for a senior call.
No, I’m comparing him to actual top young talents, of which England has absolutely hordes of, and he’s absolutely miles off. 

He’s got 600 minutes of football for one of the worst teams in the league and looked barely average in them. The likes of Curtis Jones, Conor Gallagher, Harvey Elliot, Emile Smith Rowe, Oliver Skipp, Angel Gomes and more have played infinitely more, many of which for far better clubs. They are all miles better than him and many won’t ever become England senior internationals. 

“This guy is some raw talent” for Ireland sure. For England and the top PL clubs, no he’s not. This is the same nonsense that had lads claiming Conor Coventry was some talent and should be playing for West Ham and how he’s going to switch to England despite being a bang average PL u23s player. These lads are nowhere near top talents and that’s what it takes to play for England these days. 

This lad is the same age as Foden and Sancho, several years older than Bellingham, only a year younger than Mount. Talk to me about some talent. 

He plays for Ireland, that’s it. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:21pm

No, I’m comparing him to actual top young talents, of which England has absolutely hordes of, and he’s absolutely miles off. 

He’s got 600 minutes of football for one of the worst teams in the league and looked barely average in them. The likes of Curtis Jones, Conor Gallagher, Harvey Elliot, Emile Smith Rowe, Oliver Skipp, Angel Gomes and more have played infinitely more, many of which for far better clubs. They are all miles better than him and many won’t ever become England senior internationals. 

“This guy is some raw talent” for Ireland sure. For England and the top PL clubs, no he’s not. This is the same nonsense that had lads claiming Conor Coventry was some talent and should be playing for West Ham and how he’s going to switch to England despite being a bang average PL u23s player. These lads are nowhere near top talents and that’s what it takes to play for England these days. 

This lad is the same age as Foden and Sancho, several years older than Bellingham, only a year younger than Mount. Talk to me about some talent. 

Foden and Mount are on the ballon d'Or long list ffs. You're comparing him to the absolute best in the world.

Nobody is suggesting that smallbone is going to be the elite of the elite. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:06pm

Foden and Mount are on the ballon d'Or long list ffs. You're comparing him to the absolute best in the world.

Nobody is suggesting that smallbone is going to be the elite of the elite. 
Foden and Mount play for England ffs. I’m comparing him to the players that play for England at a similar age. 

People are suggesting he’s going to switch to England like it’s an actual option, so yes they are suggesting exactly that actually because that’s what it takes to play for England these days. 

So like I said, he’s absolutely fecking miles off ever playing for England, glad you agree. He plays for Ireland and only ever will so we can shut up about every dual citizen switching nation like they are just out to screw over Ireland or some nonsense. 

Edited by IrishCanadian - 17 Oct 2021 at 1:08pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:55pm
Ahh I see what you're saying @irishcanadian, I wasn't considering him changing to England at all, I dont think he's a flight risk.

I thought you were suggesting he's not a quality player and was just running off players that are better. 

I agree that Smallbone would have little hope competing with Mount, foden, sancho etc as they are considered some of the best young players in the world at the moment, but for ireland I think Smallbone can be a fantastic and important player

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:02pm
He has a Ferry Smallbone chance of ever getting into an England squad. Very Long odds I would imagine.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 2:56pm
Got the full 90 mins today for the U23s vs Wolves. Good to see him on his way back.
Idah Dream!
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 3:34pm

Got the full 90 mins today for the U23s vs Wolves. Good to see him on his way back.
That’s great to hear. Could be a great player for Ireland going forward. Ralph Hasenhuttl has great belief in him and he’s a good judge of a player

Edited by Liam Green - 18 Oct 2021 at 3:36pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

That’s great to hear. Could be a great player for Ireland going forward. Ralph Hasenhuttl has great belief in him and he’s a good judge of a player

I was thinking he'd appear in some reserve games with a view to making is competitive senior comeback in the League Cup game next week off the bench possibly. Promising he's got 90 minutes today will bring his fitness on hugely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 41>
  Share Topic