You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dara O'Shea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 32>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 7:38pm
On the bench tonight, good to see him back in the match day squad.
Sponsored Links

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 1:20am
plays the final few minutes off the bench, great to see him back
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 6:50pm
Back in the starting 11 tonight against Middlesbrough. Molumby and Connolly starting also with Robinson and the possibly Irish Gardner-Hickman on the bench. It's on Sky as well.
trapscat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Back in the starting 11 tonight against Middlesbrough. Molumby and Connolly starting also with Robinson and the possibly Irish Gardner-Hickman on the bench. It's on Sky as well.
Great to see o'shea back, from an Irish perspective well worth watching this one. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 7:30pm
Great that he's back. Just in time for the March friendlies.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 9:38pm
Doesn't look like he's quite there yet, struggled a bit on the right side of defence tonight. 

West Brom look miles off a promotion push as well, so he'll have another season in the Championship next year.

Edited by You Tell Me - 22 Feb 2022 at 9:39pm
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 7:12pm
I thought Dara O'Shea had a good game last night, all things considered.
He was a bit shaky on his last two sub appearances against Lithuanian and Ukraine so it was hard to know know he would do before the match.
Delighted to see him back starting for Ireland again, playing well after a tough season with a lengthy injury and recovery period.
Hopefully he has a good pre-season, stays injury free and gets back to where he was before his injury. 
I think he is a good all round modern day defender, composed on the ball, good passer, good reading of the game, he can play anywhere across the back line from full back to centre back.
I noticed he only has a year left on his contract at West Brom. I hope he doesn't just renew his contract with them,waits to see how West Brom start the season and then access his options.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 10:56pm
Don't know how much truth there is to this one, might just be pure rumour, but it's doing the rounds that Burnley are looking at signing O'Shea as a replacement for Collins.

O'Shea in the last year of his contract with WBA who having been trying to get him to sign a new deal but he seems to be balking at that. They might end up selling now rather than let him walk for free next summer.

I think it'd be best if he left this summer, WBA aren't going to go anywhere under Bruce, it would be a wasted year for O'Shea.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 11:02pm
I think it's definitely believable that they'd be interested given O'Shea's contract situation. O'Shea doesn't quite have the ceiling of someone like Collins but he's a very good player that could become a stalwart for a club like Burnley for a long time if he went there and they got promoted again. A kind of a Ben Mee type.

Burnley also would be a better bet for the player in terms of getting back to the Premier League, West Brom look like they're stagnating in the Championship under Bruce.

O'Shea, McNally and Kevin Long at centre back with Cullen just in front of them would be interesting from an Irish perspective.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 12:41am
There's no chance Long will be a regular starter, he's probably 4th choice as things stand behind the 3 new centre backs they've signed, and would be 5th if they signed O'Shea. Kompany will try to get Burnley playing out from the back, and although Long is a very solid defender, that part of his game is a bit weak.
We're decent enough..
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 2:37am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

There's no chance Long will be a regular starter, he's probably 4th choice as things stand behind the 3 new centre backs they've signed, and would be 5th if they signed O'Shea. Kompany will try to get Burnley playing out from the back, and although Long is a very solid defender, that part of his game is a bit weak.

I dunno...

I doubt Egan-Riley will even be a first team player this season for them, has only played a total of 183 mins of men's football to date  Virtually no experience and still a very young lad. Really can't see him being a starter for them let alone being ahead of Long in the pecking order. Fair chance he could be sent out on loan for a season.

Harwood-Bellis has had 2 seasons in the Championship already as well as being at Anderlecht with Kompany. He'll be a nailed on starter.

McNally had an excellent season in League One last year having only made the move from Pat's last year. It's not impossible that he'll make a further step up from League One to Championship but it's a big ask of him, especially for a club just relegated from the PL looking to make the bounce back.

I'd say as it stands Long will be a starter for them as the experienced head in there that's more than capable of holding his own in the Championship. He's a dependable lad, has rarely if ever let us or Burnley down when given a run.

If they sign O'Shea it'll probably push him out.

darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 12:41pm
In Kompany's two years managing Anderlecht he has never played with 3 centre backs. He has always played 4 at the back, in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. 
It has been difficult to get info on Burley's pre season friendlies so far and  hard to know what system they are playing, He might but I can't see Kompany playing 3 centre backs all of a sudden.
I think it will be Long, McNally and Harwood-Bellis fighting it out, moreso, for the two centre back starting positions with Egan-Riley being able to cover both right back and centre back.
Hard to know if there is any substance to the O'Shea to Burnley rumour, could be agents stoking up rumours for a better contract for O'Shea.
How much will a O'Shea transfer cost, even with one year left on his contract? 3-5 million? Would Burnley pay that for another centre back? Because I think they need to make signings in other positions first, especially if more players leave in the attacking or striker areas.
I think O'Shea is fine where he is ATM, I think he is a guaranteed starter for West Brom and he needs to get back playing regularly again and get back to his performance level before his injury. 
Maybe he would be better off holding out signing any contract at WBA until he sees how they start in the Championship.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

In Kompany's two years managing Anderlecht he has never played with 3 centre backs. He has always played 4 at the back, in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. 
It has been difficult to get info on Burley's pre season friendlies so far and  hard to know what system they are playing, He might but I can't see Kompany playing 3 centre backs all of a sudden.
I think it will be Long, McNally and Harwood-Bellis fighting it out, moreso, for the two centre back starting positions with Egan-Riley being able to cover both right back and centre back.
Hard to know if there is any substance to the O'Shea to Burnley rumour, could be agents stoking up rumours for a better contract for O'Shea.
How much will a O'Shea transfer cost, even with one year left on his contract? 3-5 million? Would Burnley pay that for another centre back? Because I think they need to make signings in other positions first, especially if more players leave in the attacking or striker areas.
I think O'Shea is fine where he is ATM, I think he is a guaranteed starter for West Brom and he needs to get back playing regularly again and get back to his performance level before his injury. 
Maybe he would be better off holding out signing any contract at WBA until he sees how they start in the Championship.

How much did Burnley pay for McNally? Was it not close to £2m? 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

How much did Burnley pay for McNally? Was it not close to £2m? 
1.8 mill
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 1:54pm

In Kompany's 4-4-2 system at Anderlecht Cullen acts as the third CB dropping back into the RCB position to get play started. The fullbacks act as WBs and the wide midfielders push into midfield to act as CMs.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 2:00pm
Twould be a sideways move for Dara imo. From his personal pov, he would probably be better running down his contract and getting back to his best. Hopefully his stock will be a lot higher come the end of next season. He was mostly poor on his return from injury in March/April, though he showed signs in the last couple of Irish games that he was getting back up to speed. If I were him I'd sit tight at West Brom until Christmas at least.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 12:18pm
Signs a new three year contract with WBA
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Signs a new three year contract with WBA

I have a good feeling that oshea is going to have a fantastic season this year and be premier league with or without WBA. 

Start of last season he looked exceptional only to suffer a season ending injury.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 32>
  Share Topic