Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57299
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 8:02am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dara O'Shea
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Dara O'Shea
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 10:59pm
Made his league debut for West Brom today against Brentford for the second half.  No goals scored while he was on the pitch and impressive stats as per below.

Hegazi the regular centre-back was dropped after an unspecified training ground incident and is now linked with a move to a Saudi Arabian club. 

Hopefully we'll see O'Shea feature a bit more now this season after some fantastic performances at U21 for us.  

4 Clearances 89% passing accuracy 100% of duels won 1 blocked shot 1 interception

Replies:
Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 9:07am
looks a solid player from what I seen in the u21’s. Hopefully he’ll get a few games before the window opens. In their position you can see WBA but another centre half. But he should see more game time second half of the season.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 6:04pm
Bilic clearly rates O'Shea highly, even more so after his league debut:

I am gonna praise him, because I know he ain’t gonna be ‘big time’. Dara is the future, and he can be present. Dara is one of the reasons why when I came to the club we didn’t sign another defender.

They wanted to bring in not only Semi [Ajayi] but another, because they were lacking numbers. I didn’t want to.

Why? Because of Dara. I believe in him. Based on today, he’s a player. I love Dara.

See:   https://www.balls.ie/football/dara-oshea-slaven-bilic-422918" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/dara-oshea-slaven-bilic-422918

Posted By: Andrew00
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 6:29pm
Superb

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 11:30pm
Good manager to learn the position from!

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 12:46am
great to hear that from bilic, hope he gets more minutes rest of the season

Posted By: The U
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:54pm
Interesting to see what happens with Hegazi - he hadn't been starting behind Ajayi & Bartley. Then dropped from squad and it happens to be the game Bartley gets injured, great timing for O'Shea. I would imagine O'Shea will definitely play in FA Cup, could be featuring in league over busy period (depending on Bartley fitness).

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 2:05pm
Another start for him today against Charlton.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 3:12pm

West Brom manager Slaven Bilic says that Dara O'Shea has been offered a new contract by the Championship leaders.

The Ireland U21 international has made a breakthrough into the West Brom first team this season. He made his Championship debut last month, coming off the bench against Brentford to play 40 minutes. He subsequently started in the FA Cup against Charlton earlier this month.

"He has been offered a new contract, definitely," Bilic told  https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/01/13/west-brom-offer-new-deal-to-dara-oshea/" rel="nofollow - The Express and Star  about the centre-back.

"I have said from the start, from July, that he is the present and the future of the club.

"I love Dara O’Shea. We all love him.

"But forget how nice he is as a kid, I love Dara as a football player.

"In the summer, we lost three players in that position – (Craig) Dawson, (Mason) Holgate and (Tosin) Adarabioyo plus (Ahmed) Hegazi had surgery.

"But we only brought in one. The club wanted to bring in more, and the only reason we didn’t was Dara.

"From day one, he showed dedication, motivation, readiness to learn and, more than anything, potential and quality."

O'Shea, who is from Dublin, joined West Brom in 2016 from St Kevin's Boys.

https://www.balls.ie/football/slaven-bilic-dara-oshea-west-brom-424194" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/slaven-bilic-dara-oshea-west-brom-424194

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:52am
Committed long term future to west Brom so hopefully will see more game time now that contact negotiations are out of the way.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 2:23pm
Starts for west brom today 

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
Has had a solid game

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 5:46pm
Had a good game today

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 2:57pm
Starting right back today

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 4:45pm
Isn't centre back his first position?

Has he ever played right back in the under 21s?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Isn't centre back his first position?

Has he ever played right back in the under 21s?

He’s played the last few there and done well apparently. He is a natural centre back

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 1:23pm
Think it is only a positive. Minutes on the pitch at RB or CB is what matters. 

Potentially good for us too as we have plenty of CBs coming through or already established so having more options at RB is a plus.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 3:24pm
Scored for WBA 

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 3:36pm
Yeah I caught a bit of the game, great to see it Clap

WBA are after opening a 4 point gap again at the top, touchwood they'll go all the way now and get promoted.

Exciting times ahead if these young bucks can keep progressing at club level. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 4:19pm
Thought he had a fairly quiet game, but it was an excellent header tbf to him. Molumby was good in the 1st half but faded in the 2nd. Robinson did ok but still looks a bit rusty. O'Brien and Williams were pretty poor.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 4:52pm
Millwall 0-2 West Bromwich Albion: Baggies extend lead at top to four points - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51345350" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51345350

Some irish players singled out on bbc which is good.

Molumby - 

Gary Rowett's Millwall could claim a few first-half rounds - to borrow boxing parlance - having caused problems for their visitors in the opening 45 minutes.

Wallace was a menace going forward and Republic of Ireland under-21 player Jayson Molumby was another figure of influence with the ball

Whith that and Oshea scoring his first goal and playing for league leaders and Robinson getting some much needed game time.

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 2:22pm
Continues to keep his place on the WBA team at right back.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Continues to keep his place on the WBA team at right back.
greedy fecker

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 12:07pm
Hegazi picked up an injury yesterday. O’Shea could get a crack at a centre back slot over the next few weeks

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 12:48pm
West brom look set for promotion and oshea looks like one of this season's biggest success stories from an ireland player coming through point of view.

Potential premier league defender next year sounds really good. I'd like to see him played in his preferred CB position.

In terms of exceeding expectations at the start of this season I think oshea must be top of the list.

Oshea
Connolly 
Molumby 
Masterson
Knight
Obafemi
Smallbone 

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:12pm
Is he still a CB?

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Is he still a CB?
I would say so. Don’t think his new contract has a specific position attached to it!

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 2:56pm
seemed to play well yesterday. Anyone know if longer term he is a CB or RB?

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 4:00pm
Think he was RB last night

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 4:24pm

seemed to play well yesterday. Anyone know if longer term he is a CB or RB?

CB probably. It's very common for a young centre back to be brought into the team initially at RB, but they don't often end up remaining there for their whole career.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Liam Green
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:38pm
great headed goal from Dara 

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:39pm
Dara has scored against Derby this evening.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 7:05pm
Very likely going to be a Premier league player next season. Some breakthrough season he's had so far.

Posted By: Dr. Pat
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 7:08pm
A great near post header, similar to the one against Millwall. What a season he's having.

-------------
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Very likely going to be a Premier league player next season. Some breakthrough season he's had so far.
Hopefully if they do go up he can stay in the team. The manager is full of praise for him so good to see.

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 11:03pm
He will get used a bit but i think they will sign another centre half and right back for cover. He is very reliable and should still get 15-20 appearances next year. He is Duffy's replacement and I believe we already have Egan's replacement in 3-4 years too in Collins

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

He will get used a bit but i think they will sign another centre half and right back for cover. He is very reliable and should still get 15-20 appearances next year. He is Duffy's replacement and I believe we already have Egan's replacement in 3-4 years too in Collins

Is he Duffy’s replacement or a replacement for Doherty/Coleman

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 11:38pm

He's naturally a centre back I think. He was in the U-21's afaik. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 11:44pm

He won't stay at right back, at least I don't think so anyway but it is promising he is doing so well at right back. WBA will sign players in those positions as they are fairly light there.

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 7:46am
He's definitely a centre back longer term. Festy Ebosele may well be the one to keep an eye on at right back, very highly rated at Derby and they have a great track record of bringing through their young players to the first team.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 6:16pm
Just scored the equaliser for WBA against Huddersfield Town, his third of the season. 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 6:28pm
Excellent. Regardless of the goals, I think this lad is a player.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:03pm
very good player. He seems to be playing left back this evening having played at right back for many games this season. Centre back is his normal preferred position. So it’s good to have this versatility for our back line going forward 

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:06pm
He was playing at right back, only switched left when Townsend went off. Made a mistake for Huddersfields goal but redeemed himself with the equaliser.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:07pm
ok didn’t know that. Just switched it on now

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:35pm
Actually just as impressive on the left as right really. Got to be worth a squad place for versatility alone. West Brom might have to make do with the play offs after that though

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:41pm
Did he?I didnt see the mistake

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:29pm
As a Leeds fan I was glued to this and a lot of WBA games this year. This lad is class.
wasn't afraid to hit passes with his left either he got moved out there and it is clear Bilic loves the kid because he trusts him basically to play anywhere even in very important games

As for the mistake? I didn't see one It was the centre half for the second goal and the keeper for the first. it was an awkward ball in for the first but hardly Dara's fault?

Bit gutted when he scored as a Leeds fan but was also happy for him and still hope WBA go up this year. Will need a Brentford slip up though.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:11pm
I think the issue was that he gave away the free kick that led to the first goal.

I agree though, he's a massive talent and I think would play a lot in the Premier League next season if they were promoted.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:14pm
He looks a real talent and hopefully WBA got up. Even so he has developed so much in the last 7-8 months.

Would raise an eyebrow if he was called to the seniors already 

Posted By: Olaf
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 11:22pm
I hope WBA stay in the Championship. Another year for him to play week in week out, in the event WBA go up. Its highly unlikely he'll play as often, and probably be pushed further down the pecking order with new signings. Another year in the Championship will do him no harm at all.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

I hope WBA stay in the Championship. Another year for him to play week in week out, in the event WBA go up. Its highly unlikely he'll play as often, and probably be pushed further down the pecking order with new signings. Another year in the Championship will do him no harm at all.

He seems like one of WBAs better players at the moment, but depends on how much they’re spending on defense if they get promoted  

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 7:43am
To be fair WBA are not a team to break the bank when they get promoted, that's probably why they get relegated again quite often. It's a good club for him to be at, if they stay in the Championship he'll be a regular next season somewhere in the defence but if they are promoted I still think he'll play a lot of first team football. It's a win win situation really.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 2:28pm
Huge result for WBA today with brentford losing

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 9:36pm
Put in another decent shift today. Seems like he can play LB/RB, and know he played CB in the future. Nice to have some flexibility in the back. Hope he gets a chance to play next year in the PL, really was an integral part of the WBA squad the past few months. 

Posted By: Dots1982
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 11:52am
Where in Dublin is he from?

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:07pm
Templeogue I think.

He played GAA for St Judes.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:02pm
ok thanks, seems like he wasn’t just any GAA player either unsupri  -  https://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/oshea-star-for-stellar-judes-31251861.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/oshea-star-for-stellar-judes-31251861.html

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:04pm
wonder was he related to Niall O’Shea who played for judes and Dublin as a back.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 3:44pm
When you think about all the potential players we could've had playing for Ireland on the world stage lost to the gah. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:58pm

When you think about all the potential players we could've had playing for Ireland on the world stage lost to the gah. Cry

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. Surely O'Shea just confirms that point.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. Surely O'Shea just confirms that point.

Shane Supple gave up a professional football career to play GAA.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

He did, but he had originally pursued a career as a professional footballer before deciding it wasn't for him. So it wasn't so much a case of "Ireland losing a player to GAA" as it was a player simply deciding that he didn't enjoy the lifestyle of professional football, and hence giving it up. In other words, it was a more a case of Supple giving up soccer and then deciding to play GAA with his newfound spare time, that it was him choosing GAA specifically over soccer.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:52pm
Kevin Moran captained Dublin to victory over Armagh in the 1977 all-Ireland final while simultaneously a Man Utd player. Nobody could conceivably get away with that now ( insurance reasons, etc ).

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:26pm

There's a huge section of rural Ireland where young lads only play GAA, or play a bit of soccer on the side but it's not taken seriously. Just look at how many counties haven't produced an international footballer in decades. It's not that the kids there are any worse at sport, they just never play soccer at a serious enough level to ever even consider it as a career.

We miss out on loads of potential players to GAA, not obvious ones like Supple who played both sports, it's the thousands who never get into the game that we miss out on.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

There's a huge section of rural Ireland where young lads only play GAA, or play a bit of soccer on the side but it's not taken seriously. Just look at how many counties haven't produced an international footballer in decades. It's not that the kids there are any worse at sport, they just never play soccer at a serious enough level to ever even consider it as a career.

We miss out on loads of potential players to GAA, not obvious ones like Supple who played both sports, it's the thousands who never get into the game that we miss out on.

You can't lose what you've never had. Lots of lads from down the country (Long, Doyle, etc) have left promising futures in GAA to pursue a career in football; if they play both sports and they have a chance of making it professionally in soccer, then 99% of them will go that way. It's ridiculous to say something like "oh Irish soccer really missed out on the likes of Joe Canning" if Joe Canning never played soccer in the first place. You might as well say "Irish rugby missed out on Joe Canning/Irish cricket missed out on Joe Canning" etc etc.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:16pm

He did, but he had originally pursued a career as a professional footballer before deciding it wasn't for him. So it wasn't so much a case of "Ireland losing a player to GAA" as it was a player simply deciding that he didn't enjoy the lifestyle of professional football, and hence giving it up. In other words, it was a more a case of Supple giving up soccer and then deciding to play GAA with his newfound spare time, that it was him choosing GAA specifically over soccer.

Sure. But he mentioned 'falling out of love with the game' when giving up his football career, and cited, I believe I'm right in saying, wanting to pursue a GAA career with Dublin.

Still you're right in suggesting that this is an unusual situation.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:20pm

Sure. But he mentioned 'falling out of love with the game' when giving up his football career, and cited, I believe I'm right in saying, wanting to pursue a GAA career with Dublin.

Still you're right in suggesting that this is an unusual situation.

I wouldn't dispute that, however what I'm saying is that I don't believe he left soccer specifically for GAA. Like if GAA didn't exist, I still think Supple would have walked away from football. Because as he said himself, his main issue was that he simply did not enjoy the life of a professional footballer.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:31pm
O'Shea I know you like your gah but you must be insane to think that we haven't lost out on potential Irish international players to the hurling and gaelic football. I'm talking about players that would've chosen football if hurling/gaelic football and to a lesser extent rugby weren't around in the first place. 

If Shane Long didn't play hurling until he was 17 or whatever, he may have developed as an even better football player technically. His hurling background may have stood to him in terms of athleticism and physical strength but I do think it could've been a hindrance technically as well. 

Given the level of participation and dominance of our two main domestic sports we do very well to punch above our weight on the global stage when it comes to rugby,football,boxing and athletics but there's no doubt the gah is a hindrance overall and lessens our pool to pick from in terms of the international football team. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:38pm
Anyone remember Jason Sherlock's trial with Liverpool and Anthony Tohill's trial with Manchester United in the 90's?

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:41pm

O'Shea I know you like your gah but you must be insane to think that we haven't lost out on potential Irish international players to the hurling and gaelic football. I'm talking about players that would've chosen football if hurling/gaelic football and to a lesser extent rugby weren't around in the first place. 

If Shane Long didn't play hurling until he was 17 or whatever, he may have developed as an even better football player technically. His hurling background may have stood to him in terms of athleticism and physical strength but I do think it could've been a hindrance technically as well. 

Given the level of participation and dominance of our two main domestic sports we do very well to punch above our weight on the global stage when it comes to rugby,football,boxing and athletics but there's no doubt the gah is a hindrance overall and lessens our pool to pick from in terms of the international football team. 

Current underage international could have very easily fallen into this category if he never left Limerick to go play with Shamrock Rovers. Once showed up at half time for a cup final because he had GAA training that day too.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:44pm
Never knew about Sherlock's but I remember Anthony Tohill's. Without resorting to google I think he played in a game against Stoke or something like that round 95. He played in the 'Sheffield Wednesday' style away kit or it was the yellow and green Newton heath one. One of the away kits anyway. 

I assume that match was a reserves game of some sort. Think United won 3-2.

-------------

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:50pm

Not true. 2 good mates of mine who were both top class Hurlers and Gaelic footballers . One played for Dublin in Hurling and 1 played for the Dubs in Gaelic, both could have been dual stars if they wanted but concentrated on one code and no doubt where very handy at football, one even played for a league rep side and didnt take it serious at all only played for a few years woth a club as a youngfella and the other even less.Both from working class North Dublin estates and both never played football seriously. Both of them had zero interest and loved GAA . 

Now it's even worse in the sticks where there is a lot more emphasis on the local GAA club and lot loss serious amateur football teams. 

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:13pm
Apparently he took Kanchelskis out, though I'm not sure how, given they were on the same side in a friendly game.

'Take that f**ker off before he kills somebody'

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/get-this-fker-off-before-he-kills-somebody-joe-brolly-recounts-hilarious-story-of-anthony-tohills-manchester-united-trial-36374285.html" rel="nofollow - https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/get-this-fker-off-before-he-kills-somebody-joe-brolly-recounts-hilarious-story-of-anthony-tohills-manchester-united-trial-36374285.html

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:16pm

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. 

Niall Quinn and Shane Long were excellent hurlers. They would no doubt have had long Intercounty careers for Dublin and Tipperary

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Not true. 2 good mates of mine who were both top class Hurlers and Gaelic footballers . One played for Dublin in Hurling and 1 played for the Dubs in Gaelic, both could have been dual stars if they wanted but concentrated on one code and no doubt where very handy at football, one even played for a league rep side and didnt take it serious at all only played for a few years woth a club as a youngfella and the other even less.Both from working class North Dublin estates and both never played football seriously. Both of them had zero interest and loved GAA . 

Now it's even worse in the sticks where there is a lot more emphasis on the local GAA club and lot loss serious amateur football teams. 

I've come across this myself. Playing over 35s now and there is a lad on the team tearing it up, scores for fun, great touch. I asked one of the lads who he had played for before 35s and was told he never played soccer, only ever played GAA. Not saying he is, or could have been, good enough to play at international level, obviously, but it does make you wonder about the players that we might have missed out on.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:37pm

Anyone remember Jason Sherlock's trial with Liverpool and Anthony Tohill's trial with Manchester United in the 90's?

Yeah, there are lots of lads like Sherlock, Tohill, Cluxton, Geraghty, and Chin who were/are all decent footballers, however, they were decent at a LOI level. None of them could be considered a "loss" to the national team, they were never anywhere near that level.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. 

Niall Quinn and Shane Long were excellent hurlers. They would no doubt have had long Intercounty careers for Dublin and Tipperary

You're literally confirming my point, these were top GAA prospects who went down the route of playing soccer because they were good enough to do so. This is what will happen in 99% of cases. What I'm saying is that it's incredibly rare for someone who is good enough to play soccer professionally to choose GAA over it, it simply almost never happens. Therefore, the suggestion that we've "lost" potentially great internationals because they chose GAA instead is simply inaccurate.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:49pm
Give it a rest lads Dead

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:46am
Got young player of the year award this morning

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:27am
Very well deserved, he'll be playing in the PL in 6 odd weeks which is amazing progress from him.

For me, he's earned a senior call up already. Needs to lock down a position, I hope he plays more centre back. 

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:42am
Ahead of whom exactly?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:52am
I meant more centre back for West Brom and lock down that position 

I feel that would be better for Ireland, we have doherty and coleman competing for one spot at right back.

For Ireland, I think we could do with some competition in the CB position.

Egan is a cert to play in the first team.
Question marks over Duffy until he moves from Brighton 
Clark has been unlucky with injuries 

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:03pm
Starts today at Leicester.

Robinson in the West Brom side too.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:28pm

Starts today at Leicester.

Robinson in the West Brom side too.
reckon O'Shea could be a star of the season. 3 goals since he cracked into the team in Feb

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:35pm
WBA are signing Ivanovic so it is both good and bad for O'Shea.
He is obviously seen as a long term prospect for them and one they don't want to hamper. Ivanovic is old so wont play all the time and won't be around medium term.

Posted By: willGUFC
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:16pm
playing left side of a back 3 as a right footed player. Bilic has plenty of belief in him anyway.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:26pm
He did in pre season too but it didn't g great. surprised by that. 

Bilic loves Dara anyway which is great

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:42pm
Gives away a penalty for Leicesters third goal

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:44pm
very tough day for Dara today

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:45pm
Gave away a penalty but has had a good game otherwise

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:47pm

Gave away a penalty but has had a good game otherwise
Got destroyed for pace a few times out wide. 

Posted By: Andrew00
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:51pm
West brom fans calling him sh*t and saying he should be dropped even though before today they loved him

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

West brom fans calling him sh*t and saying he should be dropped even though before today they loved him

Wouldn’t be too worried about that fans are generally fickle and that’s the one thing I find astonishing the amount of fan bases over in England who know f**k all about the sport they claim to have followed all their life. 

He had a horrible tough time of it today now to be blunt was a baptism of fire. Hope he’s playing next week for them and isn’t dropped after today the sort of thing a manager will do with a young player. Remember Bilic doing something similar with Declan Rice actually after he made a mistake took him off at half time and never played him again was only when Moyes came in Rice was back playing.  

Only potential saving grace is that 4/5 of them were as woeful as he was today if not worse the defending was tragic.  

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 4:45pm
i thought west brom did ok today. 2 of the goals were soft enough penalties. I don't think he was caught for pace just positionally. premier league wingers are scary fast anyway.

Leicester bossed it second half and you don't blame one player, where were their whole midfield? and up front they couldn't hang on to the ball.

Also the lad is a right centre back who slotted in to play full back in a 4 on the right and has now played centre back in a 4 or 5 . and left and right full in a 4 and 5. 

One fan on Twitter means nothing or even a few. he is their young player of the year and very highly rated there. It is probably a few West Brom fans that are HUGE fans again now they are premier league.

The lad is getting tonnes of good experience. he will only play 15-20 games this year maximum anyway. West Brom are near certs to go down. 

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 5:06pm

i thought west brom did ok today. 2 of the goals were soft enough penalties. I don't think he was caught for pace just positionally. premier league wingers are scary fast anyway.

Leicester bossed it second half and you don't blame one player, where were their whole midfield? and up front they couldn't hang on to the ball.

Also the lad is a right centre back who slotted in to play full back in a 4 on the right and has now played centre back in a 4 or 5 . and left and right full in a 4 and 5. 

One fan on Twitter means nothing or even a few. he is their young player of the year and very highly rated there. It is probably a few West Brom fans that are HUGE fans again now they are premier league.

The lad is getting tonnes of good experience. he will only play 15-20 games this year maximum anyway. West Brom are near certs to go down. 
When he eventually settles into that centre half position the fact that he’s good on the ball will be a great asset. 

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 5:08pm

The score line was harsh on them perhaps but they are poor I would expect them to go down and to be honest are the leading candidates to finish bottom in my eyes. 

O’Shea had a really tough time of it in a position that he isn’t familiar with and giving away the penalty as well. Mind he was far from the worst of them their midfield was anonymous like you say. Just making the point about him being their youngest player or one of them would he be the one to lose out by default I hope he isn’t as he wouldnt deserve it. There could be changes in personnel for their next game after that. 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 12:46pm
Could've conceded a penalty for the second game in a row due to a shirt tug. Wasn't given and West Brom lead 1-0 shortly after.

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Could've conceded a penalty for the second game in a row due to a shirt tug. Wasn't given and West Brom lead 1-0 shortly after.

Never in a million years was it even close to a penalty.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 1:01pm
Didn't think it was a penalty either. The one he conceded in the 1st game was hardly a howler either, it was more unlucky tbh.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net