Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [39.20%]
76 [60.80%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I think we'd be capable of beating the North, Bosnia would be a tough one to follow the Slovakia game though

Agree. As much as I don't want us to ever play that lot up the road, we arguably have a better chance beating them than Bosnia away. 

If they beat us to go through to EURO 2020 to play in Dublin, I hear Siberian Tundra is lovely in June. 

Great hosting the Euros then Northern Ireland get to visit twice and then we get to host England.  Ouch

Genuinely not trying to be smart here Gspain but I'd assume you'd want to see the N.I. games in the Aviva if we don't qualify. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by **** **** wrote:

very tough now.  I would have fancied us at home in a final.  

But you are playing at home if you beat Bosnia 
Gspain is always most welcome to join the GAWA full-time.

G'wan Gary, you know you want to. LOL

(The rest o' yiz can bugger off, mind)

Edited by Territorial - 22 Nov 2019 at 12:52pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

Its a disaster of a draw, and cant be painted any other way. Tbf its all we deserve after how we have performed in the campaign. 

Never mind that, you were originally drawn with Germany, Netherlands, Belarus and Estonia - each one of them better respectively than the four you were eventually matched with.

I think it is we who deserved a wee bit of luck, and even then it will count for nought if we can't beat Bosnia.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Its a disaster of a draw, and cant be painted any other way. Tbf its all we deserve after how we have performed in the campaign. 

Never mind that, you were originally drawn with Germany, Netherlands, Belarus and Estonia - each one of them better respectively than the four you were eventually matched with.

I think it is we who deserved a wee bit of luck, and even then it will count for nought if we can't beat Bosnia.

Who cares?

No matter what group either of us were drawn in and the possible results that could have been, we were both destined for playoffs. 

The group stages had no bearing on where we are now. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:09pm
To be fair, we've had some good results on the road in the past few years, don't think I'd have been any more confident if it was in the Aviva 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:17pm

I wouldn't say Germany and Holland are miles ahead of Denmark or Switzerland at the moment, especially not Holland. 

The gap between those two traditional superpowers of European Football and the likes of Switzerland, Denmark etc is nowhere near as big as some would suggest.

It's mainly down to Germany and Holland being firmly in transition but currently I wouldn't say either are great sides or even close to it and are beatable.

Georgia are a better side than Estonia and Belarus no question.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:27pm

I think we'd be capable of beating the North, Bosnia would be a tough one to follow the Slovakia game though

Agree. As much as I don't want us to ever play that lot up the road, we arguably have a better chance beating them than Bosnia away. 

If they beat us to go through to EURO 2020 to play in Dublin, I hear Siberian Tundra is lovely in June. 

Great hosting the Euros then Northern Ireland get to visit twice and then we get to host England.  Ouch

Genuinely not trying to be smart here Gspain but I'd assume you'd want to see the N.I. games in the Aviva if we don't qualify. 

I plan on being at the games in the Aviva even if Bosnia or Slovakia win the playoffs.  I go to tournaments even when we don't qualify. I also hope to make the middle game in Bilbao kickoff times and flights permitting.  I'd obviously skip the Dublin game if we are in Bilbao.  

I obviously hope we qualify but if not would be happy to see NI qualify ahead of anyone else.  I appreciate that is not the case for many on here.  

I suspect the vast majority of our fans with tickets for Dublin would offload them to NI fans if they qualify (hoefully only at FV).  Some may be more inclined to go if Slovakia or Bosnia and obviously much harder to offload in these cases.         

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:43pm

I plan on being at the games in the Aviva even if Bosnia or Slovakia win the playoffs.  I go to tournaments even when we don't qualify. I also hope to make the middle game in Bilbao kickoff times and flights permitting.  I'd obviously skip the Dublin game if we are in Bilbao.  

I obviously hope we qualify but if not would be happy to see NI qualify ahead of anyone else.  I appreciate that is not the case for many on here.  

I suspect the vast majority of our fans with tickets for Dublin would offload them to NI fans if they qualify (hoefully only at FV).  Some may be more inclined to go if Slovakia or Bosnia and obviously much harder to offload in these cases.         

If I got tickets to the Dublin games, I think i'd go regardless of who qualifies be that ourselves, Slovakia, Bosnia or the North

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:50pm
In terms of the poll - will eire qualify via the playoffs?

I wonder are the 45 people responding 'yes' still leaning that way in light of the new information?
greenscene View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 3:48pm

I don't think it really matters. Northern Ireland would have finished 3rd in our group also, just like we would have had in theirs.
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I wouldn't say Germany and Holland are miles ahead of Denmark or Switzerland at the moment, especially not Holland. 

The gap between those two traditional superpowers of European Football and the likes of Switzerland, Denmark etc is nowhere near as big as some would suggest.

It's mainly down to Germany and Holland being firmly in transition but currently I wouldn't say either are great sides or even close to it and are beatable.

Aye, right.

So you'd rather you'd stayed in our group, rather than be re-drawn into the one you did eventually get?

Georgia are ranked 90th by FIFA, Belarus are 86th.

And it's Gibraltar (196) you should be comparing Estonia (104) to.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 4:34pm
Terri, are there many going to Sarajevo?

Reason I ask is that, bizarrely, the Budapest to Sarajevo wizzair flight the day before the game is over €100 already, but the Sarajevo to Budapest flight on Sunday is €15, which works perfectly for getting home. You can get home from Sarajevo for less than €90.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 4:36pm
We took 4 points from Germany, and 4 points from Holland the last time we had those teams in our qualifying groups. 

While Switzerland are our bogey team and everyone is tired of playing against the Danes.

So of course we would have preferred your group, and we would have qualified handily enough too.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

In terms of the poll - will eire qualify via the playoffs?

I wonder are the 45 people responding 'yes' still leaning that way in light of the new information?

Yes.
Slovakia Bosnia Norn Iron are not Denmark Switzerland.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Terri, are there many going to Sarajevo?

Reason I ask is that, bizarrely, the Budapest to Sarajevo wizzair flight the day before the game is over €100 already, but the Sarajevo to Budapest flight on Sunday is €15, which works perfectly for getting home. You can get home from Sarajevo for less than €90.

Unsure.

Looks like the allocation will be c.700, which we may just about sell out - the fact that the Final would be in Belfast will probably have persuaded people to go ahead and book Bosnia now, rather than wait to see whether we might have to go to Slovakia afterwards.

But aside from the cost, the Wizz flight from Budapest is early, so would likely mean having to arrive in Budapest the day before, to be sure to connect. And taking three or four days in midweek in March is not so easy for many, esp if it's term time. Also it's no time since we were last in Bosnia, with this game also being in Zenica, which is not up to much, it seems.

The IFA could certainly help if they organised an affordable overnight fans' charter.

Still, I have my flights booked already, so the fewer can go, the better my chance of a match ticket. Thumbs Up
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 4:50pm
That's why it seems odd that the Budapest to Sarajevo flight is expensive but the Sarajevo to Budapest flight is so cheap, especially given that it is on Sunday and has plenty of connections back to Dublin (which is still handy for Belfast).
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

That's why it seems odd that the Budapest to Sarajevo flight is expensive but the Sarajevo to Budapest flight is so cheap, especially given that it is on Sunday and has plenty of connections back to Dublin (which is still handy for Belfast).

The game's on Thursday - I can't see many people waiting until Sunday before making their way home, even if it is v.cheap.
Far more likely to travel back on Friday or Saturday, likely via Germany?

Having to get to the airport around 6.30 on a Sunday morning doesn't help, either!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:28pm

Aye, right.

So you'd rather you'd stayed in our group, rather than be re-drawn into the one you did eventually get?

Georgia are ranked 90th by FIFA, Belarus are 86th.

And it's Gibraltar (196) you should be comparing Estonia (104) to.

Firstly, where did I say I would have preferred your group?

Secondly, if you're going to "try" and be a smart arse and wanted to use World Rankings as the complete barometer just as you've done with the Georgia vs Belarus comparison.

I raise you Switzerland (8th) & Denmark (10th) compared to Germany (13th) & Holland (16th)

I will also gladly go €50 with you or whatever amount you want that Georgia will beat Belarus next March.

Well no Terri, I didn't see the point in bringing Gibraltar into this because they're no threat even to us (which tells its own story) I merely stated that I believe Georgia are a better side than both Estonia and Belarus. 

Edited by Green Devil - 22 Nov 2019 at 5:29pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic