Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [39.20%]
76 [60.80%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:35pm
Imagine Martin 0-Nil took the job before the playoff with EIRE
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:38pm
[QUOTE=d13dave] I think we will do it if our attitude is right and that sits with Mick. 

The keep it tight for 45 mins nonsense and have a go after the hour mark stuff must stop. I would rather we had 60 minutes to score two goals than 20 thanks very much.

We have a decent keeper and good defenders playing regularly in the premiership. The next 4 months will hopefully see McCarthy retain form and interest in playing and see the continued progress of Connolly, Cullen, Molumby, Parrott, OConnor etc

I would hope we try 352 in friendlies. It is a far better fit for the available players and will give stephens and doherty more space not to mention give McGoldrick some much needed support. The concern again would be the lack of a dominant central midfielder but still think its a better bet than 451. 

Don’t think there are any friendlies before the playoffs?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

You can say what you want about MON, but he got us to the playoffs again.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Touche
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:43pm
Christ the thought of a Duffy sudden death penalty. Having cold sweats in work thinking about it. 

If there are no friendlies before it will be a little strange going in cold to such a massive game. That being said i would still ensure the team accounts for form.

I reckon we would batter the North, their half decent players are getting on now. 

Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:44pm

And Tony O’ D trying to interview him before and after 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

It would be the only time he tells us how good EIRE are and how tough it will be for TE.

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Michael O’Neill is gone tho is he? Or is he hanging on for playoffs too? Would be strange to do playoffs and not Tournament and doubt Stoke would want that.

I that the qualifiers were is last games?

No, he's still the manager in fact and will be if they qualify. His contract only ends when their involvement in Euro 2020 ends.

Will he be in charge for friendlies as well?

It’s an admission that nothing is going to change until March at the earliest. Surely he would have been doing something else with his time between now and March if the Stoke job hadn’t been available. 

One would imagine so, as even friendlies have an international window / break.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:48pm

And he will qualify us if he takes the TE job!

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:59pm
[QUOTE=d13dave] I think we will do it if our attitude is right and that sits with Mick. 

The keep it tight for 45 mins nonsense and have a go after the hour mark stuff must stop. I would rather we had 60 minutes to score two goals than 20 thanks very much.

We have a decent keeper and good defenders playing regularly in the premiership. The next 4 months will hopefully see McCarthy retain form and interest in playing and see the continued progress of Connolly, Cullen, Molumby, Parrott, OConnor etc

I would hope we try 352 in friendlies. It is a far better fit for the available players and will give stephens and doherty more space not to mention give McGoldrick some much needed support. The concern again would be the lack of a dominant central midfielder but still think its a better bet than 451. 

Don’t think there are any friendlies before the playoffs?
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

I reckon we would batter the North, their half decent players are getting on now. 

Most sensible people would view how both teams respective groups panned out. On that alone, the only battering done would be on sausages before the game 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:12pm

Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

It would be the only time he tells us how good EIRE are and how tough it will be for TE.

are you two a duet now? 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:12pm
If you're at this stage of qualifying, you are by definition not very good - as a general rule of thumb.

We came 3rd, we were the 3rd best team in that group in the strength of our squad and the reality on the pitch bore that out. Denmark and Switzerland were two decent sides, by no means elite but they did enough for us and would account for any of the four teams in our path.

Slovakia finished behind a Wales side that took a long time to find their feet, and croatia who would hammer all of us. From the look of their campaign they had a very similar one to us. Lost and drew against Wales who are the calibre of the top 2 in our group, lost both to Croatia who are better than anyone was in our group. This will be a tight game. I think we have the edge in quality, but it will be tight.

Bosnia had a sh*t campaign as covered above. I'd be very surprised if they're in the final.

The exception to the rule in my first sentence is Northern Ireland. There is not a single international team in world football who, if put into their position in that group, would be totally confident of qualification. Even the likes of England, Spain, Belgium etc would be looking nervous if they were drawn into a group with Germany and the Netherlands. And the north gave it a right go. We look at their players and they are sh*te. But when they play for their statelet they get an extra level and play superbly. I am not sure we would have it in us to beat them at this moment.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:27pm
Two playoff games in which we need to win, albeit even through penalties to qualify.

Not too dissimilar to the need in winning one of the swiss or denmark games...but now we need to win 2.

We barely pulled off 2 wins against Gibraltar... 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Two playoff games in which we need to win, albeit even through penalties to qualify.

Not too dissimilar to the need in winning one of the swiss or denmark games...but now we need to win 2.

We barely pulled off 2 wins against Gibraltar... 

We dont need to win any games - 2 wins on pens will do.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

I'm fairly confident we can get through the play offs, our performances under Mick have been decent. Some good results v Swiss and the Danes twice and an excellent performance this week. Slovakia aren't exactly world beaters themselves and Hamsik is no longer the spring chicken he once was.

how the feck have our performances under Mick been "decent" Dead
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:19pm
By decent, do you mean sh*te? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

By decent, do you mean sh*te? 

I mean not losing, a result is a result. You can only do so much with what you have, I think folks forget sometimes our talent pool isn't exactly overflowing.
It’s absolutely sh*te, but the performances have been on par for that, occasionally even below their capabilities. Results are means to an end, he was brought into qualify us and won’t, wasting two years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic