Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [39.20%]
76 [60.80%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

A potential final at home would give the players an even bigger incentive to beat Slovakia. 

Alternatively, a bigger addition to the ‘ so near and yet so far’ narrative
Sponsored Links

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:44pm
Slovakia are at a low ebb, having had a poor campaign and played to a half empty (and small) stadium against Azerbaijan last night when qualification was still theoretically in the balance. They have some decent players - Skriniar is a standout in Serie A, and Hamsik while past his best is still better than what we have. Overall though, i'd fancy us in a game against them. 

Obviously don't look beyond your next game and all that, but over the other side of the draw, Bosnia had an even worse campaign, losing to Greece, Finland, Italy, shipping 4 goals to Armenia and so on. If they come through their semi-final and we were to play them in a final, they're also significantly weaker than Denmark or Switzerland.

The team i'd hope not to face is our Northern brethren. If they were to beat us in any final, we would never, ever hear the end of it. And they could do it. They play out of their skin regularly and play well against better teams than ourselves, and it'd be Michael O'Neills last game. We could do without those narratives.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 20 Nov 2019 at 12:44pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'd be worried that we are not capable of winning two such knockout matches.

Having said that, I don't think Slovakia and the other two sides are particularly strong and capable of beating us either.
But you don't think any team we ever play are strong.

France, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Germany, NL, England, Italy etc are the strong sides and miles better than us.

Every time we play even second tier teams, the doom and gloom section of the Irish fans have it down as 'mission impossible' and us needing a miracle to beat them.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:46pm
We really shouldn’t be fearing anybody at this stage. Either a big name has underperformed, or the team isn’t that good. Honestly, if we can’t beat Slovakia or Bosnia, we shouldn’t be there.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:48pm
I think N.I. will beat Bosnia this time. 

Our tie with Slovakia is a 50/50 match up at best. I don't think form will matter too much given how far away the games are. 

If we do play N.I. in the final I think it's vital we're at home as they'd be favourites in Belfast imo. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:48pm
Obviously Fridays draw is big in terms of a home final, but right now I'd fancy the North to qualify. Bosnia were the side to get in these playoffs. as OnTheOneRoad points out above, their form is nothing short of horrible. I would even fancy us to win in normal time against Bosnia if we had drawn them.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:49pm
Billy Bingham would come back to whip up the crowd with his royal wave
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:51pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I'd be worried that we are not capable of winning two such knockout matches.

Having said that, I don't think Slovakia and the other two sides are particularly strong and capable of beating us either.
But you don't think any team we ever play are strong.

France, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Germany, NL, England, Italy etc are the strong sides and miles better than us.

Every time we play even second tier teams, the doom and gloom section of the Irish fans have it down as 'mission impossible' and us needing a miracle to beat them.
We've beaten Gibraltar twice (1-0 & 2-0) and Georgia once in the past 2 years. We do need a miracle to beat a tier two nation. We're scraping wins against utterly terrible teams now. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:53pm
I hate the whole home advantage nonsense. These are professional players who play in at least twenty different stadia per year. 

Their home, cars, wives and kids are in England. They’re staying in a hotel whether it is in Dublin or Sarajevo. 

They should perform in any country, anywhere. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I hate the whole home advantage nonsense. These are professional players who play in at least twenty different stadia per year. 

Their home, cars, wives and kids are in England. They’re staying in a hotel whether it is in Dublin or Sarajevo. 

They should perform in any country, anywhere. 

True it’s not like they’re playing in some huge intimidating stadium either.

Whenever we play Slovakia it’s in some second rate half full stadium. 
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:56pm
I think we will do it if our attitude is right and that sits with Mick. 

The keep it tight for 45 mins nonsense and have a go after the hour mark stuff must stop. I would rather we had 60 minutes to score two goals than 20 thanks very much.

We have a decent keeper and good defenders playing regularly in the premiership. The next 4 months will hopefully see McCarthy retain form and interest in playing and see the continued progress of Connolly, Cullen, Molumby, Parrott, OConnor etc

I would hope we try 352 in friendlies. It is a far better fit for the available players and will give stephens and doherty more space not to mention give McGoldrick some much needed support. The concern again would be the lack of a dominant central midfielder but still think its a better bet than 451. 

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

The team i'd hope not to face is our Northern brethren. If they were to beat us in any final, we would never, ever hear the end of it. And they could do it. They play out of their skin regularly and play well against better teams than ourselves, and it'd be Michael O'Neills last game. We could do without those narratives.

I have a bad feeling about this. 

And they would be playing in Dublin. 

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I have a bad feeling about this. 

And they would be playing in Dublin. 

Wouldn’t fancy us against them tbh. 

I’m more looking forward to the kenny regime now than any playoff tbh. 

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:08pm
Michael O’Neill is gone tho is he? Or is he hanging on for playoffs too? Would be strange to do playoffs and not Tournament and doubt Stoke would want that.

I that the qualifiers were is last games?
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:15pm
Who will our penalty takers be?

Whelan
Stevens
Doherty
Hourihane
McColdrick

The I can't look at this lads :
McClean
Jeffrey
Connolly (too young for that pressure?)
Maguire (looks like even he'd be surprised not to miss)
Duffy (unless he can take them with his head)
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Michael O’Neill is gone tho is he? Or is he hanging on for playoffs too? Would be strange to do playoffs and not Tournament and doubt Stoke would want that.

No, he's still the manager in fact and will be if they qualify. His contract only ends when their involvement in Euro 2020 ends.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:33pm

No, he's still the manager in fact and will be if they qualify. His contract only ends when their involvement in Euro 2020 ends.
that plan could change between now and March despite intentions of all involved.
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:34pm

Will he be in charge for friendlies as well?

It’s an admission that nothing is going to change until March at the earliest. Surely he would have been doing something else with his time between now and March if the Stoke job hadn’t been available. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic