Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irl v Den 18 Nov thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

What really puzzles is that comment about Mick being the 'safe pair of hands'. The same way as Martin O'Neill supposedly played it safe. That is a paradox, because its ultimately an extremely risky approach. 

We've been told that we need to always keep it tight at the back, and see if we nick one. It rarely happens, it usually ends 1-1 in games against the seeds around us. We back ourselves into corners like last night, like Wales away in the previous campaign by this approach. There are more hands being taken off people than in Saudi Arabia, being 'bitten off for the draw'. Then we find ourselves in the last chance saloon, needing a win that we may or may not get. We didn't last night. And that's the safe approach!

It really puzzles me how going for it in a game can be seen as an unbelievable amount of risk, when not doing so backs us into the corner of a once-off must win game. Maybe we win that game last night more often than we draw it, and we got unlucky. Maybe not. But if we'd played like that in more games we would have stood a far better chance. Anything can go for or against you in a once-off game. Playing consistently well you will get what you deserve more often than not.

What has disappointed is just how “safe” we have been. We scored seven goals against Gibraltar in 60 minutes in Dublin in 2014. We scored 7 goals over 8 games (including two against Gibraltar) during this group phase. Four goals came almost identically (headed from crosses from wing), one was a deadball, and the other an own goal. You can respect the point and repeat “a wins a win” all you like, but that runs out. We’re very hard to beat, but we struggle to beat teams, and now even minows are treated with a degree of suspicion, to the point that we are scoring single goals against them.

We had two chances to get this over the line and it was in our hands, and we failed to do it.
Sponsored Links

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

What really puzzles is that comment about Mick being the 'safe pair of hands'. The same way as Martin O'Neill supposedly played it safe. That is a paradox, because its ultimately an extremely risky approach. 

We've been told that we need to always keep it tight at the back, and see if we nick one. It rarely happens, it usually ends 1-1 in games against the seeds around us. We back ourselves into corners like last night, like Wales away in the previous campaign by this approach. There are more hands being taken off people than in Saudi Arabia, being 'bitten off for the draw'. Then we find ourselves in the last chance saloon, needing a win that we may or may not get. We didn't last night. And that's the safe approach!

It really puzzles me how going for it in a game can be seen as an unbelievable amount of risk, when not doing so backs us into the corner of a once-off must win game. Maybe we win that game last night more often than we draw it, and we got unlucky. Maybe not. But if we'd played like that in more games we would have stood a far better chance. Anything can go for or against you in a once-off game. Playing consistently well you will get what you deserve more often than not.

There needs to be context. Mick being a safe pair of hands was seen as sensible for a few reasons. Under MON things had not just gone stale they had turned toxic. We were completely rudderless and at sea with no gameplans or any semblance of structure. Stephen Kenny would have been taking a massive step up at the time and into a chaotic scene. It was seen as more sensible to go with a man who had done it before, someone pragmatic but organized and give Kenny the Under 21's to build a philosophy before transitioning to the main job. I still think it was the right approach. Don't forget we didn't really know how the play offs would work. We got a play off yes which was always likely but not a foregone conclusion. We needed others to qualify. So there needs to be context here. Now things are a good bit more positive and it certainly is not anywhere near as toxic as it got under MON. We have 2 play offs now. Let's hope we can do it and Kenny will make the step up next year so things are far from finished.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:23pm
Thought we were better and it would be good to continue with that style of play for play offs. I think we are a couple of players off being very functional and on improved level that we can compete on. I think we already potentially have the players needed. Robinson is an upgrade on McClean, Byrne is potentially an upgrade on Hendrick, Connolly/Parrott could take Browne’s place.
We know Mick will stick to the same players for the playoffs, but after that ahead of the finals or the next campaign under Kenny, I think there is reason to be a bit more optimistic for the future 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:33pm
Just watched the last 20 minutes back. Stevens hammering that ball out of play after Schmeichel dropped it was absolutely criminal, that was the chance.

So disappointed this morning but we didn't deserve it over the campaign. Big ask to come through the play offs. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:33pm
The thing is we basically are in the play-offs by default. We could have lost all qualifiers and all NL games and still been here. I had thought O’Neill actually got us to the play-offs but we were bottom
Of the group so we literally couldn’t avoid a play off.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:42pm
I witnessed a nasty bit of stuff last night lads.
Was going down the stairs just after the final whistle, was in 515 and used the nearest stairs to there, heard a bit of shouting and then about 7/8 lads came round the corner behind me punching people randomly, knocked 1 guy to the ground with a dig then 4/5 of these Scrotes layed boots into him, punching people with kids holding their hands as they were leaving to go home. Heard one shout BSC as they ran down the rest of the stairs and just mingled into the crowds at street level.
Why do this on your own... 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

The thing is we basically are in the play-offs by default. We could have lost all qualifiers and all NL games and still been here. I had thought O’Neill actually got us to the play-offs but we were bottom
Of the group so we literally couldn’t avoid a play off.

There is no inherent achievement in getting to the Play Off. Unlike 2015 when we managed to outflank Scotland, this kinda fell into our lap. Also, it was on the back of our abominable performance in the Nations League.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Was going down the stairs just after the final whistle, was in 515 and used the nearest stairs to there, heard a bit of shouting and then about 7/8 lads came round the corner behind me punching people randomly, knocked 1 guy to the ground with a dig then 4/5 of these Scrotes layed boots into him, punching people with kids holding their hands as they were leaving to go home. Heard one shout BSC as they ran down the rest of the stairs and just mingled into the crowds at street level.

I was in 514 but didn't notice anything myself. 

What's BSC? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:53pm

Jaysus what scumbags. 
There needs to be more Garda in my opinion. But the only problem with that the food area was already so packed, you would belatedly fit more people in.
I guess the alcohol sales are contributing to this, people are spending the whole half there. Before only people willing to queue for food would hang around

Edited by t_rAndy - 19 Nov 2019 at 12:57pm
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:15pm
on a related point it was 8pm before the stadium was actually full last night. Thats unforgivable 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:15pm

My Dad was up around there. Said there were 4 or 5 lads in their late teens drinking pints up in their seats. One of them accidently spilled a full pint over a 7 year old kid in front of him. When the father confronted him about it, he was met with abuse from the lads with the usual "f**k off you w*nker" type stuff. No apology from the lads whatsoever. The kid must have been freezing, and scared.

What is BSC?
BlackrockSC View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackrockSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:19pm
There wore no Blackrock Supporters Clubs fans in 6 or 7s at the game think greenlad dreamt this last night
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:33pm
Bohs firm
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:37pm
posted this in Alan Browne thread but probably more appropriate here....

very disappointed with Hourihane last night. Needs to be much stronger on the ball, dispossessed too easily. Also came deep for the ball a lot in the first half and because the Danes werent pressing (except for their forwards which shows how disorganised Denmark were) he had plenty of time to turn when he got the ball. Alas he never did and simply played a pointless safe ball back to whence it came   In fact I dont think one of our midfielders turned on the ball in the first half. 

Hourihane seemed to react very petulantly to being subbed. Walked head down around the pitch and didnt acknowledge the fans applauding him as far as I could tell. Poor enough. Obviously he was disappointed but you need to hide that disappointment for 20 mins in the circumstances.

Its a pity if Hourihane doesnt up his game as his delivery is a huge asset. Hendrick and Browne both had good second halves after anonymous first halves. Thats ok from Browne as he is still finding his feet but Jeff needs to do better for 90 mins.  Whelan was good throughout. In fact probably Whelans best ever qualifying campaign at 35?

As for McClean, as limited as always on the ball and again not sure he beat the first man with a single cross. His workrate back, particularly near the end, was absolutely heroic, but Id swap that any day for a properly functioning wide man. In fact his efforts perfectly summed up in the yellow card incident. A Dane was slow to react to a pass and McClean bust a gut to get there before him - so far so good. James then, having gotten there, knocked the ball about 8 yards in front of himself with a hilariously awful first touch. To make up for this he tried nonetheless to win the ball from the Dane he had virtually passed the ball too and in the process gave away a free and picked up a card.

Lastly viz Browne, worth noting that at 24 he has 200 plus senior appearances at a high level to his name and 30 odd goals. Thats going to stand him in good stead over the next 10 years hopefully.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

on a related point it was 8pm before the stadium was actually full last night. Thats unforgivable 

That's because it was mayhem trying to get in from about 7.15. I left the Beggars about half an hour earlier than normal and only got in a few minutes before the anthems. Lansdowne Road was incredibly poorly organised. Extra barriers and people, being held back at different points. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

My Dad was up around there. Said there were 4 or 5 lads in their late teens drinking pints up in their seats. One of them accidently spilled a full pint over a 7 year old kid in front of him. When the father confronted him about it, he was met with abuse from the lads with the usual "f**k off you w*nker" type stuff. No apology from the lads whatsoever. The kid must have been freezing, and scared.

What is BSC?

It's one thing doing it on an adult, a completely different scenario when its on a child. Absolute bastards. Should have been f**king put out.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

That's because it was mayhem trying to get in from about 7.15. I left the Beggars about half an hour earlier than normal and only got in a few minutes before the anthems. Lansdowne Road was incredibly poorly organised. Extra barriers and people, being held back at different points. 

Yeah it was clear there was something going on with people getting into the stadium last night. The ground was only about 1/3 full 15 mins before kick off according to RTE.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Yeah I was well ahead of my usual time heading to the ground and still missed the anthems
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566>
  Share Topic