Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57216
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 1:56pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Irl v Den 18 Nov thread
Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Subject: Irl v Den 18 Nov thread
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:43am
It was probably always going to come down to this game.

Win and we qualify for the Euro’s. 
If we are honest we would have taken this at the start of the tournament. A new manager and a tough group with Denmark and Switzerland.

We can’t to anything about the past now.
We need to put in our best performance and need a lot of players to step up.
The fact that Georgia have scored more goals than us highlights our problem. 

Mick has 4 weeks to earn his significant salary.

We are going to need some luck but we can do it. CYBIG.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Icy Bread People
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:45am
You'd have to say 2 or 3 nil to Denmark. They have Eriksen and our team can't play football. I don't even care any more. 

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:46am
3-0 Denmark 

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:49am
                Randolph
     Doherty Egan ?? Stevens
                 Whelan
         Hourihane Browne
  Robinson McGoldrick Connolly

Posted By: VanBosch
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Randolph
     Doherty Egan ?? Stevens
                 Whelan
         Hourihane Browne

Why would you drop Duffy?

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:53am
Denmark by four or five. The players have lost confidence in Mick, understandably. I think the past week is similar to the tactical confusion MON caused in the 5-1 game. Not a single player knew their role on Saturday and we changed formation three or four times last night. The pressure has got to Mick. He didn’t know whether to stick or twist in Tbilisi, panicked and got it all wrong. 

The only thing we have in our favour is that their manager is equally as inept, but Eriksen will love a game against a clueless and vulnerable midfield. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Randolph
     Doherty Egan ?? Stevens
                 Whelan
         Hourihane Browne

He’s suspended...

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:56am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Randolph
     Doherty Egan ?? Stevens
                 Whelan
         Hourihane Browne

He’s suspended...
He’s not, why don’t people get this.

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:57am

Randolph
     Doherty Egan ?? Stevens
                 Whelan
         Hourihane Browne

He’s suspended...

Sky sports news says he is suspended?

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:59am

Randolph
     Doherty Egan ?? Stevens
                 Whelan
         Hourihane Browne

He’s suspended...

LOLLOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:59am

Randolph
     Doherty Egan ?? Stevens
                 Whelan
         Hourihane Browne

He’s suspended...

Sky sports news says he is suspended?
A graphic came up during the match saying he was, that’s what they are going off I reckon. You need 3 yellows for a suspension, Duffy has 2.

RTÉ confirmed it with UEFA and announced it after the game

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:00am
He's two yellows, three for a suspension. Pretty sure Xhaka isn't suspended either but the graphic last night said he was.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:00am
MOD Edit on title Thumbs Up

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Roger Lonnegan
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:02am
I read around that Darragh Lenihan will be tested vs the all whites as a holding midfielder in Whelan's position.

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:03am
I’ve assumed anybody who posted that Duffy is suspended since after 10 last night is taking the p**s.

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:07am
Was thinking at least now Mick will have to go for a win v Denmark, but he has the Nations League to fall back on, so will no doubt try to keep it tight and nick a goal (ie. Our usual game plan).

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:10am

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

MOD Edit on title Thumbs Up
Boo-urns!!! 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:16am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Was thinking at least now Mick will have to go for a win v Denmark, but he has the Nations League to fall back on, so will no doubt try to keep it tight and nick a goal (ie. Our usual game plan).

What does go for a win even mean now? We are so bad it can't all be Mick's fault. I don't think we have it in us to up our game. 

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:29am
Sure it was saying on the graphic that Stevens is on a yellow. He only just came back from suspension. Think the production team had wrong information.

Having Duffy back in is helpful, but it is still hard to be too optimistic that we can come up with a team and system that can beat Denmark.
I really think we need wholesale changes to the team and my opinion is why not try now. If we just trod along now with same team and set up we will trod to the play offs and then trod out.

Whereas if we make big changes, dropping non performing players like mcclean, bringing back in Long and McCarthy l, etc. then it might come off and we qualify against denmark, or if not we can tell what worked and what didn’t work. We can even go back to mcclean and the likes.

It won’t happen, but you just feel some things have to change to get this team playing.
I think we can be better than we have been showing 

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:43am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Whereas if we make big changes, dropping non performing players like mcclean, bringing back in Long and McCarthy l, etc. then it might come off and we qualify against denmark, or if not we can tell what worked and what didn’t work. We can even go back to mcclean and the likes.
Drop non performing players - fair enough but why bring back players (Long, McCarthy) who were non-performing aswell ?

Does not make sense.

PS Another 5-1 to Denmark.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:53am
It'll be 0-0. Those predicting an Ireland massacre are forgetting something - Denmark are grim too.

The 5-1 game was a total freak occurrence - as our last fifteen or so meetings with them over the past few years have indicated.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

It'll be 0-0. Those predicting an Ireland massacre are forgetting something - Denmark are grim too.

The 5-1 game was a total freak occurrence - as our last fifteen or so meetings with them over the past few years have indicated.

Agree - we won’t lose by more than 2 goals max.
The 5-1 was a one off.

The only way we win is a hard fought 1-0 like the Wales match. 

-------------

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:55am
a gallant draw before the knives come out asking why we weren't on the front foot in Georgia

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:58am
Denmark are sh*te. We are even more sh*te. 

1-1. One of the great Ireland draws for the ages. We will get outplayed, and go a goal down, then huff and puff in an uncoordinated manner until in the last 5 minutes one of their defenders has a howler. A couple of aimless diagonal balls later, we'll be in the Nations League playoffs.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:59am
speaking of Georgia, if by some miracle they draw with Switzerland

it would leave our mini league of 3 on 

SUI 5pts +1 GD
DEN 5pts +1 GD
IRL 2pts -2 GD

so we'd have to win by TWO to get out the sh*t

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Exactly my thinking - does anyone know what the permutations are of Micks tenure. I'm not on a witch hunt here, I think he's got a difficult situation. I was just curious.

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:02am
This was my worry with Mick not bringing the young lads or new players into the squads earlier he was loyal to lads who had beaten Gibraltar and Georgia and had got 2 draws with late goals against the better teams after playing awful.
The new players are not tested and as a result he is slow to use them.

Take Connolly everyone knew he had fierce potential he should have been in the squad for the last round of fixtures and played against Bulgaria and as a result could have then started in Georgia.

He now has to be brave and get the likes of Molumby, Collins and Manning involved even if he won’t play them against the Danes there is the New Zealand game and most likely a play off 5 months later.

We all know how limited the squad is but we have other options both in terms of youth and experience which is not being looked at they surely could help

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:02am
So if we lose are we totally out of the Euros and we can get on with our lives? Or do we still go to stupid play offs. 

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The 5-1 was a one off.

We have to win - a draw is no good. We're going to have to go for it. If we're a goal or two down and chasing the game we could easily be on the end of another hiding. Denmark have far better players than us. Eriksson on his own is capable of destroying us.

Duffy will be missing too, don't forget.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:11am
I’m struggling to determine how I’d like to approach it.

A month for Ciaran Clark, James McCarthy, Robbie Brady and Shane Long to force their way into the plans. if they are playing they should be there, if Judge is still on the bench at Ipswich he shouldn’t m, if Collins isn’t scoring at Luton he shouldn’t. 

This has also forced MM’s hand to play Doherty in his natural position. Coleman’s current form would have me less stressed about his absence.

There will be little or no consequential change to the starting team. Hourihane will come back in for Browne, McGoldrick for Collins, And Doherty for Coleman. Robinson is likely to start over Connolly.

After that, it’s about the changes and that’s where Brady, McCarthy or Long May be relevant. And I think it would be ver short sighted to rely on Hogan, Browne and ODowda in a tough situation.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Drop non performing players - fair enough but why bring back players (Long, McCarthy) who were non-performing aswell ?

Does not make sense.

PS Another 5-1 to Denmark.

They are just two names. A lot can happen in a month and maybe these guys would be in a prime position or maybe someone else.
My basic point is some things has to change. And given we have players who are consistently under performing, we should be looking to drop and replace them. 

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:19am
Hendrick and McClean will not be dropped so no point in making up fantasy teams. I think McGoldrick can improve things if he's fit. 

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Hendrick and McClean will not be dropped so no point in making up fantasy teams. I think McGoldrick can improve things if he's fit. 

I know and it’ll be a main contributor to our downfall. 

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:28am
We will not win if James McClean starts. 

How could we possibly win when one player is responsible for 25 turnovers against terrible opposition and passes free kicks out of play for other opposition to score against us. Ruins most of our attacks.

No amount of hard work could compensate for that. 

Maguire playing well at LW for Preston. Connolly can play there. Robinson, even Michael Duffy is superior to him.

But he will start along with Micks other favourites. 0-2

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:57am
4 weeks of hell..........

Team lineups, what Mick will do, how many minutes McCarthy got at Palace etc. etc. 

Image result for scream painting

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:05am

Team lineups, what Mick will do, how many minutes McCarthy got at Palace etc. etc. 

Plus clinging to the hope every week that Eriksen gets injured, or some other Dane's wife is due a baby that day!

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The 5-1 was a one off.

We have to win - a draw is no good. We're going to have to go for it. If we're a goal or two down and chasing the game we could easily be on the end of another hiding. Denmark have far better players than us. Eriksson on his own is capable of destroying us.

Duffy will be missing too, don't forget.

Duffy is not missing 🤦‍♂️

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Denmark are sh*te, one world class player. They’ve already qualified I seriously doubt Denmark are going to give much of a sh*te in Dublin. The issue is we’re sh*ter. We just can’t score goals nor look like we will. We seriously need McCarthy we have for a few years now, Arter as well. Collins isn’t up to this level, he’s just a big lump. McCarthy likes a lump up top but this fella is way off the level we need. 

Delaney and that Sisto bloke are way better than anyone we have. We are in no position to call anyone sh*te, we must be one of if not the worst team in Europe outside of the San Marinos and Gibraltars (who may actually be better than us).

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:38am

Denmark are sh*te, one world class player. They’ve already qualified I seriously doubt Denmark are going to give much of a sh*te in Dublin. The issue is we’re sh*ter. We just can’t score goals nor look like we will. We seriously need McCarthy we have for a few years now, Arter as well. Collins isn’t up to this level, he’s just a big lump. McCarthy likes a lump up top but this fella is way off the level we need. 

Delaney and that Sisto bloke are way better than anyone we have. We are in no position to call anyone sh*te, we must be one of if not the worst team in Europe outside of the San Marinos and Gibraltars (who may actually be better than us).

LOLLOL

f**king hell.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: ****
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:39am

I'm looking forward to f**knuttv official 33 minutes long squad prediction and then a 35 minute long team prediction with AKOT 

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

LOLLOL

f**king hell.
How many ‘Gibraltars’ is there? 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:47am
Oh you know what I mean. When was the last time you saw a team play as badly as Ireland do?

Posted By: rebelbrowser
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:50am

Denmark are absolutely not qualified.  If we beat them, provided Switzerland beat Gib and Georgia, Denmark are out.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

SUI 5pts +1 GD
DEN 5pts +1 GD
IRL 2pts -2 GD

Any win would do us.

Posted By: BippityBoop
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

SUI 5pts +1 GD
DEN 5pts +1 GD
IRL 2pts -2 GD

Any win would do us.

I actually believe that Jimmy Raggatip is correct. According to the rules here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying#Tiebreakers" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying#Tiebreakers

If we end up on the same amount of points as Denmark and Switzerland, which will happen if:
  • Switzerland beat Gibraltar and then draw with Georgia
  • Denmark beat Gibraltar and lose to Ireland
Then as a tie breaker they look at just the points obtained between the 3 teams concerned to determine who goes through as top two teams.

This means that that hypothetical table will stand at this before the game:

SUI 5pts +1 GD
DEN 5pts +1 GD
IRL 2pts -2 GD

Meaning that Ireland will need to beat Denmark by 2 goals to leapfrog them into second.

Basically, what it comes down to (assuming Denmark beat GIB) is:

• If Switzerland take 6 points vs GIB & GEO, we need to beat Denmark to finish second ahead of Denmark.
  • If Switzerland pick up 4 points vs GIB & GEO, we will need to beat Denmark by 2 goals or more.
  • If Switzerland pick up 3 points vs GIB & GEO, we will need to beat an already qualified Denmark.
  • If Switzerland pick up 1 point vs  GIB & GEO, we only need a point vs and already qualified Denmark
  • If Switzerland pick up 0 points vs  GIB & GEO, we've already qualified! Party

I got bored of doing these permutations half way through so feel free to fact check. Pretty sure that's correct though!

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:56pm
Would it be goal difference to choose top team, then H2H for the next 2?

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

SUI 5pts +1 GD
DEN 5pts +1 GD
IRL 2pts -2 GD

Any win would do us.

I actually believe that Jimmy Raggatip is correct. According to the rules here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying#Tiebreakers" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying#Tiebreakers

If we end up on the same amount of points as Denmark and Switzerland, which will happen if:
  • Switzerland beat Gibraltar and then draw with Georgia
  • Denmark beat Gibraltar and lose to Ireland
Then as a tie breaker they look at just the points obtained between the 3 teams concerned to determine who goes through as top two teams.

This means that that hypothetical table will stand at this before the game:

SUI 5pts +1 GD
DEN 5pts +1 GD
IRL 2pts -2 GD

Meaning that Ireland will need to beat Denmark by 2 goals to leapfrog them into second.

Basically, what it comes down to (assuming Denmark beat GIB) is:

• If Switzerland take 6 points vs GIB & GEO, we need to beat Denmark to finish second ahead of Denmark.
  • If Switzerland pick up 4 points vs GIB & GEO, we will need to beat Denmark by 2 goals or more.
  • If Switzerland pick up 3 points vs GIB & GEO, we will need to beat an already qualified Denmark.
  • If Switzerland pick up 1 point vs  GIB & GEO, we only need a point vs and already qualified Denmark
  • If Switzerland pick up 0 points vs  GIB & GEO, we've already qualified! Party

I got bored of doing these permutations half way through so feel free to fact check. Pretty sure that's correct though!

Jaysus! The Swiss will draw that Georgia game now surely.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:03pm
Hardly worth worrying about as we're going to lose to Denmark 

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:25pm
Should be interesting to see who is appointed to referee this game. Wouldn't be surprised if its our favourite Turkish referee.
2 host countries playing for one spot.
Who is EUFA's anointed one ?
Has yer man done for us in EUFA ?

Would be a flat draw in December if the hosts are not going to the party ?

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: BippityBoop
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hardly worth worrying about as we're going to lose to Denmark 

We can lose to Denmark and still qualify...! (technically)

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:30pm
I would play

Randolph
Doherty
Duffy
Egan
Stevens
odowda
McCarthy
hendrick
Mcclean
long
Connolly

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:31pm
My team - 5,3,1,1 - 3,5,1,1

Randy

Doherty

Clark
Duffy
Egan

Stevens

McCarthy
Whelan
Brady

Hourihane

McGoldrick

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:34pm
C'mon lads. The quality simply isnt there.

If a miracle happens and we beat denmark, of course I'd be happy but it would also be a complete robbery. 

Watching ireland play is exhausting, I really want to see a clear out and new approach 

Posted By: giveittochristie
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Randy

Doherty

Clark
Duffy
Egan

Stevens

McCarthy
Whelan
Brady

Hourihane

McGoldrick

I like this back 5 (they all play this formation at club level) and having McGoldrick back up top will be good, but i dont see how we get around our black hole in midfield. For that reason i'd play Connolly with/off McGoldrick and go with something like Whelan/McCarthy/Hourihane in midfield. 

We would be (as usual) very short of creativity through the middle so would be very reliant on the wing backs to contribute to the attack. This would require a great deal of actual coaching in the days before the game (luckily we play quite late in the window - the NZ friendly can be sacked off with all our reserve players)

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:42pm
We will be absolutely terrified of conceding a goal. We're a team who have huge trouble scoring a goal against any half decent team, so to have to get two will seem like a mountain to climb.Mick will approach the game in that frame of mind.Keep it incredibly tight and try and snatch a winner from a corner or free kick. This attitude completely negates most of the home advantage as we'll be playing like the away team. 

The 1-5, even if it was a freak will hang like a dark cloud over the match. The Danish comments and dislike between the two teams adds something that maybe isn't helpful too, when we will need cool heads. The crowd will probably be anxious and quiet as they often are. 

Can't see it ending well. Back to Sarajevo? Not even another pea soup, Jack The Ripper style fog will save us this time. 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:28pm
Irish Simpsons Fans page always delivers

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:29pm

You'd have to say 2 or 3 nil to Denmark. They have Eriksen and our team can't play football. I don't even care any more. 

LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: delgado
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:32pm
not sure if it is been mentioned but if results go to  plan.
We are in play offs with Bosnia, N.ireland .Slovakia  .

Posted By: Sullivinho
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

I’ve assumed anybody who posted that Duffy is suspended since after 10 last night is taking the p**s.

Aye, and what masters of wit they are. Clap

-------------
Pure Hat!

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:41pm
Randolph
Doherty Egan Duffy Stevens
Whelan Cullen 
Robinson Browne Connolly
McGoldrick

McClean shouldn't be anywhere near this XI. Hendrick too poor for too long and Hourihane not near good enough v Georgia, though his set pieces will be missed.

Cullen can come in and show a bit of positivity on the ball. Browne did enough to retain his place. Connolly excites and we need that. We need freshness because it has gone so stale. Players who can get the fans on their feet and create a brilliant atmosphere for the players to feed off and to unsettle the Danes.

Love to know what Maguire did wrong that he is constantly overlooked, playing far better football than O Dowda or McClean this season.

Maguire/Long/Obafemi off the bench.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Irish Simpsons Fans page always delivers

LOL

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Randolph
Whelan Cullen 
Robinson Browne Connolly
McGoldrick

McClean shouldn't be anywhere near this XI. Hendrick too poor for too long and Hourihane not near good enough v Georgia, though his set pieces will be missed.

Cullen can come in and show a bit of positivity on the ball. Browne did enough to retain his place. Connolly excites and we need that. We need freshness because it has gone so stale. Players who can get the fans on their feet and create a brilliant atmosphere for the players to feed off and to unsettle the Danes.

Love to know what Maguire did wrong that he is constantly overlooked, playing far better football than O Dowda or McClean this season.

Maguire/Long/Obafemi off the bench.

In all fairness to Maguire he is not at the level we expect from this team. Any opportunity he has gotten he has been piss poor. He was getting shrugged off the ball by Gibraltar players.

James McClean has been a fantastic servant to date but he cannot continue to be in our starting 11 going forward. How he stayed on the pitch lastnight is beyond belief. He was the cause of the first Swiss goal.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:59pm
I was at Deepdale for Preston v Wigan and he was the best player on the pitch by a mile. Constantly a threat from the left, scored the opener from a header (weirdly enough as people perpetuate this lie that he is soft). Alan Browne was on the bench that day.

I find it ironic to make snap judgements on players playing very well for clubs performing well, but McClean being given more chances when he gives away the ball 25 times against Georgia.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:16pm

Denmark by four or five. The players have lost confidence in Mick, understandably. I think the past week is similar to the tactical confusion MON caused in the 5-1 game. Not a single player knew their role on Saturday and we changed formation three or four times last night. The pressure has got to Mick. He didn’t know whether to stick or twist in Tbilisi, panicked and got it all wrong. 

The only thing we have in our favour is that their manager is equally as inept, but Eriksen will love a game against a clueless and vulnerable midfield. 

Enda Stevens confirmed that they hadn't worked on playing a 3-5-2 formation before the game. Baffling that he had players at his disposal who are excelling at their clubs in this formation, albeit with better players, and chooses to either play them out of position or leave them on the bench.

The longer this campaign goes on the more apparent it becomes how scandalous a decision it was to offer 1.5 million contract to someone who was out of work.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:25pm
If we had everyone fit to choose from this would be the 23 man squad I'd go with (trying to be somewhat realistic):

GKs: Randolph, O'Hara, Travers
DFs: Doherty, Christie, Stevens, Duffy, Egan - then 2 from Clark/Long/Williams
MFs: Whelan, Hendrick, McClean, Hourihane, Browne, O'Dowda - 1 from McCarthy/Cullen, 2 from Byrne/Judge/Arter/Brady
FWs: McGoldrick, Connolly, Robinson, Long

Absolutely no point in having Collins, Curtis, Hogan in the squad. We have better options than them, even if injury strikes Maguire should be first choice back up (no point in having him in the 23 if McCarthy isn't going to bring him on).

Defence picks itself for this game, going 3 at the back would be something worth thinking about, definitely have the players for it.

Midfield is the problem and that's where we need to give ourselves options. Whelan is probably a guaranteed starter but we have nobody else who has proven to be up to scratch.

Don't know how we will line up but Randolph, Doherty, Egan, Duffy, Stevens, Whelan and McGoldrick are probably all nailed on and deserve to start. It is the other 4 midfield/forward positions that we need to think about.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Enda Stevens confirmed that they hadn't worked on playing a 3-5-2 formation before the game. Baffling that he had players at his disposal who are excelling at their clubs in this formation, albeit with better players, and chooses to either play them out of position or leave them on the bench.

The longer this campaign goes on the more apparent it becomes how scandalous a decision it was to offer 1.5 million contract to someone who was out of work.

Delaney's rotten legacy will endure for some time.

Stevens and Doherty have excelled in the PL as wing-backs, yet neither are played in those positions against the Swiss. Clark is a natural left-sided centre-back, doing well against Man United in a back three recently, and is left out the squad entirely, with only three central defenders named in the initial panel. It's all a nonsense.

We ended the first half last night with Collins, a paceless, lower-league journeyman lump of a striker on the left-hand side of midfield and McClean as a right-winger. We were a rabble last night, it was utterly chaotic - as bad as anything towards the end of O'Neill's time.

Posted By: Green Man
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:43pm
               Randolph

Cullen

Hourihane   Byrne

Judge

McGoldrick Connolly

May as well go for it and try the other lads in midfield. I think this midfield could create chances.

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:47pm
The team will be the usual 4-3-3. We need a big performance but I just don't think the players are there. I would imagine we will take the game to the Danes and possibly get picked off losing 1-0 or 2-1.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:52pm
Is it possible for us to beat Denmark?   What would we have to do?   The players are utter sh*te and if they have any form for their clubs completely lose it playing for The EIRE. 

The only small thing is that we know with 100% certainty that we have to win which will concentrate the minds of everyone on the same goal which isn't the way normally.  Some want to win and the manager wants to draw.

That being said I don't see a way we can beat Denmark.  We are so bad that the only possibility is a total poxy win like when we beat Germany.  Get totally outclassed but take our only chance and ride the arse out of our luck on the night. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Roger Lonnegan Roger Lonnegan wrote:

I would play

Randolph
Doherty
Duffy
Egan
Stevens
odowda
McCarthy
hendrick
Mcclean
long
Connolly

Can I ask why would you play McClean?

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:55pm

Randy

Doherty

Clark
Duffy
Egan

Stevens

McCarthy
Whelan
Brady

Hourihane

McGoldrick

Never thought I would say this, but thank God Mick is our manager.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:58pm

Randy

Doherty

Clark
Duffy
Egan

Stevens

McCarthy
Whelan
Brady

Hourihane

McGoldrick

That's actually a better team than the one fielded last night.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 4:00pm

Randy

Doherty

Clark
Duffy
Egan

Stevens

McCarthy
Whelan
Brady

Hourihane

McGoldrick

Ah here! What positions are Brady and Hourihane playing in this team? 2 defensive midfielders along with 3 CB’s? Or is Duffy playing up front?

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 4:14pm

Randy

Doherty

Clark
Duffy
Egan

Stevens

McCarthy
Whelan
Brady

Hourihane

McGoldrick

Ah here! What positions are Brady and Hourihane playing in this team? 2 defensive midfielders along with 3 CB’s? Or is Duffy playing up front?

It's not the team I would pick but it's still better than what we saw last night. The central defenders are in the wrong positions though.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Is it possible for us to beat Denmark?   What would we have to do?   The players are utter sh*te and if they have any form for their clubs completely lose it playing for The EIRE. 

The only small thing is that we know with 100% certainty that we have to win which will concentrate the minds of everyone on the same goal which isn't the way normally.  Some want to win and the manager wants to draw.

That being said I don't see a way we can beat Denmark.  We are so bad that the only possibility is a total poxy win like when we beat Germany.  Get totally outclassed but take our only chance and ride the arse out of our luck on the night. 

Everyone remembers the 5-1, but Denmark weren't that impressive in the three games we've played with them since.

We're playing badly of course admittedly but I thought Switzerland caused us far more problems in the two game than anything we saw from Den in 2018-19. It doesn't help though that the Danes need only a draw.

Posted By: Andrew00
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 5:08pm
Cannot believe some fella from Luton Town with only 1 cap got to START 2 huge games against Georgia and the Swiss. Its pathetic

And I'd put my house on it that he'll get called up next month 

Posted By: Andrew00
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 5:10pm
Whatever about anything else, Hourihane SHOULD be starting in an advance role against Denmark. Only one who can creative something and bring our attackers into play 

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

Cannot believe some fella from Luton Town with only 1 cap got to START 2 huge games against Georgia and the Swiss. Its pathetic

Why wouldn't he get called up?

It's as obvious as things come that Collins will be in next months squad.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 5:58pm
Hourihane as 10 in the hole may work out

Posted By: giveittochristie
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:01pm
I don’t know where the Hourihane love in comes from. He’s just as culpable as our other midfielders, offset a little by his decent set pieces

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

The same lad people were looking to get called up and delighted after his performance against Bulgaria.  Now people pining after Maguire despite the fact he has been utter pig spunk any time he has played for us...the long omission is weird  though

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:10pm
Basically everyone is sh*te. Substitute one sh*te player for another sh*te player = same result

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

I don’t know where the Hourihane love in comes from. He’s just as culpable as our other midfielders, offset a little by his decent set pieces

He is similar to Hendrick in that he doesn't bring his club form into the games with us. Two of them joined the group in great club form and served up compete dross.

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:20pm
How in gods name do so many people want Brady starting against Denmark?! The lad hasn’t done a tap in ages, and now you have lads that want to play him in a position he has proven to be totally unsuited to again?

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

How in gods name do so many people want Brady starting against Denmark?! The lad hasn’t done a tap in ages, and now you have lads that want to play him in a position he has proven to be totally unsuited to again?

I think this can be generally attributed to his not being James McClean.

Posted By: Green Man
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:57pm

Brady and Long just get better and better when they aren't playing. Brady has been woeful for us for a long time can't even make Burnleys bench. Long must have the worst goalscoring record  that you'd see and also mostly can't make his clubs bench. 

Daft suggestions really they won't even make the squad nevermind the team and they can't complain either.

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:45pm

I think this can be generally attributed to his not being James McClean.
LOL
Something to do with the phrase 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'' I think. LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:49pm
That 

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:51pm
Solid team

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:26pm
I'll be optimistic and go for a 1-0 win.

Denmark have under-performed in this group and their manager is not getting the best from his team. In Copenhagen we could have even stolen all three points if we'd taken one of our chances late on.

Denmark are far more like us than they would ever admit, and it'll be a tense slog of a game, settled by a single goal.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:34pm
Its hard to be confident about us against a decent team, simply because we can't play well for long enough in a game.
We might score a goal or take the lead, but would never be in control of a game for a sustained period against a team other than a minnow
Seems we're always destined to have to ride our luck with a backs to the wall performance in order to get anything.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Its hard to be confident about us against a decent team, simply because we can't play well for long enough in a game.
We might score a goal or take the lead, but would never be in control of a game for a sustained period against a team other than a minnow
Seems we're always destined to have to ride our luck with a backs to the wall performance in order to get anything.

Yes, that would be my main concern re. the Danish match.

Having said all that, I don't think Denmark are all that....they could just as easily have taken only a point off the Swiss over two games. But they still look better than us, which gives us a problem.

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:40pm
This is what I would like to see and what I think is probably our best team in 2019 fitness allowing.

Randolph

Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens

McCarthy Cullen 
                 Hendrick
Robinson                  Connolly
               McGoldrick

100% will not be the team of course. We also need the likes of Long back even if hes not scoring he is a f**king headache to play against. No matter what if we don't get our defence to push up and sort out the space between both def/mid and mid/attack we will be sh*t with and without the ball. we are pretty much playing an 8-1-1 under McCarthy. The 3 in mid or even the 5 need to constantly rotate and the 3 attackers should too, we are not moving teams mid field or defence around, all they do is stand there and wonder why the Swiss or Danes or Georgians are easily able to match them up in Midfield. Of course all the players likely do this in the EPL but they take a time machine back to the 1980's when they play for Ireland and none would speak up to it for fear of being deemed "difficult to work with"

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

This is what I would like to see and what I think is probably our best team in 2019 fitness allowing.

Randolph

McCarthy Cullen 
                 Hendrick
               McGoldrick

100% we will not be the team of course. We also need the likes of Long back even if hes not scoring he is a f**king headache to play against. No matter what if we don't get our defence to push up and sort out the space between both def/mid and mid/attack we will be sh*t with and without the ball. we are pretty much playing an 8-1-1 under McCarthy. The 3 in mid or even the 5 need to constantly rotate and the 3 attackers should too, we are not moving teams mid field or defence around, all they do is stand there and wonder why the Swiss or Danes or Georgians are easily able to match them up in Midfield. Of course all the players likely do this in the EPL but they take a time machine back to the 1980's when they play for Ireland and none would speak up to it for fear of being deemed "difficult to work with"

I like the look of that team. 9 Premier League regulars + a great keeper in Randolph and a decent player in Cullen.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:15pm
We're short at fullback for this match with Coleman suspended. If logic played a part in such things, I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe Rafferty called up given his form this season for PNE and his ability to play on both flanks.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:17pm
What happened to Cyrus Christie?

MON was very close to signing him for Forest when he was looking for a new striker

-------------

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

What happened to Cyrus Christie?

MON was very close to signing him for Forest when he was looking for a new striker

LOL

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Randolph

McCarthy Cullen 
                 Hendrick
               McGoldrick

100% we will not be the team of course. We also need the likes of Long back even if hes not scoring he is a f**king headache to play against. No matter what if we don't get our defence to push up and sort out the space between both def/mid and mid/attack we will be sh*t with and without the ball. we are pretty much playing an 8-1-1 under McCarthy. The 3 in mid or even the 5 need to constantly rotate and the 3 attackers should too, we are not moving teams mid field or defence around, all they do is stand there and wonder why the Swiss or Danes or Georgians are easily able to match them up in Midfield. Of course all the players likely do this in the EPL but they take a time machine back to the 1980's when they play for Ireland and none would speak up to it for fear of being deemed "difficult to work with"

id just love to see this team in action... i think its the team most of the fans are crying out to see... and if we are still sh*te with this side then thats that lol

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:06am

In the likely event we go to a play off? When would that be?

The semi-finals will take place on 26 March and the final matches on 31 March 2020.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net