You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irl v Den 18 Nov thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 66>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

My team - 5,3,1,1 - 3,5,1,1

Randy

Doherty

Clark
Duffy
Egan

Stevens

McCarthy
Whelan
Brady

Hourihane

McGoldrick

I like this back 5 (they all play this formation at club level) and having McGoldrick back up top will be good, but i dont see how we get around our black hole in midfield. For that reason i'd play Connolly with/off McGoldrick and go with something like Whelan/McCarthy/Hourihane in midfield. 

We would be (as usual) very short of creativity through the middle so would be very reliant on the wing backs to contribute to the attack. This would require a great deal of actual coaching in the days before the game (luckily we play quite late in the window - the NZ friendly can be sacked off with all our reserve players)
Sponsored Links

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:42pm
We will be absolutely terrified of conceding a goal. We're a team who have huge trouble scoring a goal against any half decent team, so to have to get two will seem like a mountain to climb.Mick will approach the game in that frame of mind.Keep it incredibly tight and try and snatch a winner from a corner or free kick. This attitude completely negates most of the home advantage as we'll be playing like the away team. 

The 1-5, even if it was a freak will hang like a dark cloud over the match. The Danish comments and dislike between the two teams adds something that maybe isn't helpful too, when we will need cool heads. The crowd will probably be anxious and quiet as they often are. 

Can't see it ending well. Back to Sarajevo? Not even another pea soup, Jack The Ripper style fog will save us this time. 

Edited by TonyNotJack - 16 Oct 2019 at 1:43pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:28pm
Irish Simpsons Fans page always delivers

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

You'd have to say 2 or 3 nil to Denmark. They have Eriksen and our team can't play football. I don't even care any more. 

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
delgado View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:32pm
not sure if it is been mentioned but if results go to  plan.
We are in play offs with Bosnia, N.ireland .Slovakia  .
Sullivinho View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullivinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

I’ve assumed anybody who posted that Duffy is suspended since after 10 last night is taking the p**s.

Aye, and what masters of wit they are. Clap
Pure Hat!
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:41pm
Randolph
Doherty Egan Duffy Stevens
Whelan Cullen 
Robinson Browne Connolly
McGoldrick

McClean shouldn't be anywhere near this XI. Hendrick too poor for too long and Hourihane not near good enough v Georgia, though his set pieces will be missed.

Cullen can come in and show a bit of positivity on the ball. Browne did enough to retain his place. Connolly excites and we need that. We need freshness because it has gone so stale. Players who can get the fans on their feet and create a brilliant atmosphere for the players to feed off and to unsettle the Danes.

Love to know what Maguire did wrong that he is constantly overlooked, playing far better football than O Dowda or McClean this season.

Maguire/Long/Obafemi off the bench.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Irish Simpsons Fans page always delivers

LOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Randolph
Whelan Cullen 
Robinson Browne Connolly
McGoldrick

McClean shouldn't be anywhere near this XI. Hendrick too poor for too long and Hourihane not near good enough v Georgia, though his set pieces will be missed.

Cullen can come in and show a bit of positivity on the ball. Browne did enough to retain his place. Connolly excites and we need that. We need freshness because it has gone so stale. Players who can get the fans on their feet and create a brilliant atmosphere for the players to feed off and to unsettle the Danes.

Love to know what Maguire did wrong that he is constantly overlooked, playing far better football than O Dowda or McClean this season.

Maguire/Long/Obafemi off the bench.

In all fairness to Maguire he is not at the level we expect from this team. Any opportunity he has gotten he has been piss poor. He was getting shrugged off the ball by Gibraltar players.

James McClean has been a fantastic servant to date but he cannot continue to be in our starting 11 going forward. How he stayed on the pitch lastnight is beyond belief. He was the cause of the first Swiss goal.
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:59pm
I was at Deepdale for Preston v Wigan and he was the best player on the pitch by a mile. Constantly a threat from the left, scored the opener from a header (weirdly enough as people perpetuate this lie that he is soft). Alan Browne was on the bench that day.

I find it ironic to make snap judgements on players playing very well for clubs performing well, but McClean being given more chances when he gives away the ball 25 times against Georgia.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Denmark by four or five. The players have lost confidence in Mick, understandably. I think the past week is similar to the tactical confusion MON caused in the 5-1 game. Not a single player knew their role on Saturday and we changed formation three or four times last night. The pressure has got to Mick. He didn’t know whether to stick or twist in Tbilisi, panicked and got it all wrong. 

The only thing we have in our favour is that their manager is equally as inept, but Eriksen will love a game against a clueless and vulnerable midfield. 

Enda Stevens confirmed that they hadn't worked on playing a 3-5-2 formation before the game. Baffling that he had players at his disposal who are excelling at their clubs in this formation, albeit with better players, and chooses to either play them out of position or leave them on the bench.

The longer this campaign goes on the more apparent it becomes how scandalous a decision it was to offer 1.5 million contract to someone who was out of work.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:25pm
If we had everyone fit to choose from this would be the 23 man squad I'd go with (trying to be somewhat realistic):

GKs: Randolph, O'Hara, Travers
DFs: Doherty, Christie, Stevens, Duffy, Egan - then 2 from Clark/Long/Williams
MFs: Whelan, Hendrick, McClean, Hourihane, Browne, O'Dowda - 1 from McCarthy/Cullen, 2 from Byrne/Judge/Arter/Brady
FWs: McGoldrick, Connolly, Robinson, Long

Absolutely no point in having Collins, Curtis, Hogan in the squad. We have better options than them, even if injury strikes Maguire should be first choice back up (no point in having him in the 23 if McCarthy isn't going to bring him on).

Defence picks itself for this game, going 3 at the back would be something worth thinking about, definitely have the players for it.

Midfield is the problem and that's where we need to give ourselves options. Whelan is probably a guaranteed starter but we have nobody else who has proven to be up to scratch.

Don't know how we will line up but Randolph, Doherty, Egan, Duffy, Stevens, Whelan and McGoldrick are probably all nailed on and deserve to start. It is the other 4 midfield/forward positions that we need to think about.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Denmark by four or five. The players have lost confidence in Mick, understandably. I think the past week is similar to the tactical confusion MON caused in the 5-1 game. Not a single player knew their role on Saturday and we changed formation three or four times last night. The pressure has got to Mick. He didn’t know whether to stick or twist in Tbilisi, panicked and got it all wrong. 

The only thing we have in our favour is that their manager is equally as inept, but Eriksen will love a game against a clueless and vulnerable midfield. 

Enda Stevens confirmed that they hadn't worked on playing a 3-5-2 formation before the game. Baffling that he had players at his disposal who are excelling at their clubs in this formation, albeit with better players, and chooses to either play them out of position or leave them on the bench.

The longer this campaign goes on the more apparent it becomes how scandalous a decision it was to offer 1.5 million contract to someone who was out of work.

Delaney's rotten legacy will endure for some time.

Stevens and Doherty have excelled in the PL as wing-backs, yet neither are played in those positions against the Swiss. Clark is a natural left-sided centre-back, doing well against Man United in a back three recently, and is left out the squad entirely, with only three central defenders named in the initial panel. It's all a nonsense.

We ended the first half last night with Collins, a paceless, lower-league journeyman lump of a striker on the left-hand side of midfield and McClean as a right-winger. We were a rabble last night, it was utterly chaotic - as bad as anything towards the end of O'Neill's time.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 16 Oct 2019 at 3:31pm
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:43pm
               Randolph

Cullen

Hourihane   Byrne

Judge

McGoldrick Connolly

May as well go for it and try the other lads in midfield. I think this midfield could create chances.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:47pm
The team will be the usual 4-3-3. We need a big performance but I just don't think the players are there. I would imagine we will take the game to the Danes and possibly get picked off losing 1-0 or 2-1.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:52pm
Is it possible for us to beat Denmark?   What would we have to do?   The players are utter sh*te and if they have any form for their clubs completely lose it playing for The EIRE. 

The only small thing is that we know with 100% certainty that we have to win which will concentrate the minds of everyone on the same goal which isn't the way normally.  Some want to win and the manager wants to draw.

That being said I don't see a way we can beat Denmark.  We are so bad that the only possibility is a total poxy win like when we beat Germany.  Get totally outclassed but take our only chance and ride the arse out of our luck on the night. 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Roger Lonnegan Roger Lonnegan wrote:

I would play

Randolph
Doherty
Duffy
Egan
Stevens
odowda
McCarthy
hendrick
Mcclean
long
Connolly

Can I ask why would you play McClean?
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

My team - 5,3,1,1 - 3,5,1,1

Randy

Doherty

Clark
Duffy
Egan

Stevens

McCarthy
Whelan
Brady

Hourihane

McGoldrick

Never thought I would say this, but thank God Mick is our manager.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 66>
  Share Topic