You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irl v Den 18 Nov thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 66>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Some of the Danes were acting the bollox outside Slatts during their march to the ground. I was stuck in the middle of it as I was waiting to offload tickets to a couple of mates. 
It was on the brink of kicking off and the Gardai and stewards werent at the races at all. There was a couple of Danes who defo deserved a few slaps although some of the older fellas seemed apologetic. 
It's rare enough that you would see bottles being thrown and general handbags around Lansdowne road. Whoever threw the garlic cheese fries, its stuck in my mind about what an effective weapon they are. There are very few foodstuffs that I would hate to get hit by more than them. 

Not really surprised there. We had hassle up in Copenhagen in June from some of their younger fans but the aul lads kept them in line.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:33am
Is Vertonghen actually shagging his wife?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Is Vertonghen actually shagging his wife?
Unlikely, I don’t think  he is even married !
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:45am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

What we have lowered ourselves to accepting is really depressing. Despite that we can, even if ragged and poor at the minute, go out and have 52 percent possession and 15 shots to Denmark's 3, we consider it impossible that we can go out and beat teams that are similar or slightly better than us. That is self-fulfilling, because if we don't think we can beat them and that's the mindset the players are in, then we won't beat them. 

If you put an accumulator on the Premier League or any other league this weekend, you probably won't win - one or several legs of your bet will let you down as the less fancied team upsets the odds. This happens multiple times in every single league, every single week. The North don't think about what they can't do when they go on the pitch. They never get overawed by their opponents. Doherty was standing there overawed by Brentford's Henrik Dalsgaard last night and gave him the freedom of Lansdowne Road to whip in that cross. 

When managers start talking about how we dont have great technical players, that they'd 'bite your hand off for a draw', and other language of that nature, that filters down into the dressing room and has the players in a negative frame of mind before any game.

We play our best when we have nothing to lose, and yet we don't go all out attack when we play like that. We just play with less of the fear that has been ingrained in us from years of negativity.

i would agree with most of that, its this bloody negative mindset that has us scared out of our wits. i am hoping Kenny can instill some belief and expression on the pitch. even the worst international sides create chances but we hardly ever create any clear cut chances in games. why is that? its baffling cause we have some pretty decent players. 
Jicked View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jicked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:53am
Now that the group is over, McCarthy goes down as a failure. He was the "safe pair of hands" because we couldn't possibly risk not qualifying. In fact, we could have given Kenny the eight games and the two friendlies to try whatever he needed, knowing we could lose to Gibraltar home and away and end up in the exact same position - a playoff.

If we had have done that maybe we'd head in to the playoff with some idea about how we want to play. Last time out it was 3-5-2 for thirty minutes, binned off, back to being a long ball team. Last night it's another change in formation and style of play, suddenly we pass out from the back, until that gets binned off when we actually need a goal in which case it's hope for a corner.

Who knows how we'll play in Slovakia or Cardiff, but whatever the plan is on the night we would have been much better off trying to develop that game plan over some time. For such a highly paid manager its completely unacceptable that the safe pair of hands' great idea is to keep it tight and hope for a big rally and a headed goal from a corner in the last ten mins.

Row Z View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Row Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:53am
If that performance was at the start or middle of a campaign, you would say its "encouraging", but the last game, with it all on the line....Sickener.

BUT we did show we can at least attempt to pass the ball, even in the first half (although Denmark sat off us) we tried to pass it, ineffectively at times though.

DmcG is class, but have him in the Hendrick role and stick a no.9 up top to allow him play forward as majority of time he had no option but to play back.

"Just put it up there..."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:55am
THe ‘Hendrick role’: disappear for three years and turn up for half an hour.

Edited by pre Madonna - 19 Nov 2019 at 10:55am
uibhfaillian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uibhfaillian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Row Z Row Z wrote:

If that performance was at the start or middle of a campaign, you would say its "encouraging", but the last game, with it all on the line....Sickener.

BUT we did show we can at least attempt to pass the ball, even in the first half (although Denmark sat off us) we tried to pass it, ineffectively at times though.

DmcG is class, but have him in the Hendrick role and stick a no.9 up top to allow him play forward as majority of time he had no option but to play back.

It looked like McGoldrick was in the 10 role a lot of the time and Hendrick was ahead of him. That doesn't suit Hendrick either.  For the play offs put Connolly or Parrott or even Maguire up top and McGoldrick in the 10 position supporting them.  

McGoldrick and Hendrick can compete with each other for a start at number 10 with McGoldrick first choice.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:06am
Thought we played OK but Denmark played for the draw and were happy to let us knock it about, which must be taken into account. 

I think that performance level is the absolute max for this team. 

Overall having seen Denmark live in the flesh five times at this stage, I have to say that they really are not a great side. They had a lot of luck during the 5-1 game and are probably only an odd goal better than us. They’re an Austria / Serbia standard of team. 

For anyone saying we don’t have the players to compete - their goal was set up by a poor championship fullback in Dalsgaard and finished by a half decent championship striker in Braithwaite. 

In some ways I see last night as a missed opportunity - Eriksen is clearly struggling at the moment and looked rattled. Delaney went off injured after a few minutes. 

We just lacked that small bit of quality to go and take the game to them. Most half decent teams in Europe at home to Denmark on that performance last night would have seized the initiative and dumped them out - they didn’t want to be there at all. 

Our backline is solid - Doherty needs to make that RB slot his own as Danish goal aside he played better than Coleman has for ages. 

Also Glenn Whelan is an absolute warrior, and a vital player. Alan Browne did OK, Jeff Hendrick gets a pass, but Conor Hourihane isn’t good enough for this level and needs to be dropped. 

McClean put in a shift but doesn’t offer anything going forward. 

With the right midfield in front our defense we’ll concede very few goals.

Looking ahead to the play-off, we’ve three months to prepare. I’m hoping we’ll arrange a friendly or two. 

We need Connolly to maintain his starting place at Brighton and we need Parrott to make his breakthrough. 

We need to find a way to get some proper midfielders into the starting 11. Flavor of the months they may be, but Cullen, Crowley and even Byrne need to be given a look. We’re missing that guile at number 10 - the lack of which makes it easy for teams like Denmark to sit off us. 

Jayson Molumby needs to be brought through if he keeps playing regularly in the Championship.

In terms of opponents we need to avoid Wales in the semis. 

Slovakia in the semis and Bosnia in the final is our only chance. 

We don’t want the North under any circumstances - they’re beatable but I don’t know if this team has the nerve to do the job with all the build up. 

We’re away for the semi but you can almost guarantee that as a host nation UEFA will have a hot ball in the draw to ensure that we play at home should we make the final. 

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:07am
A good performance, a big improvement on some others in the group. Was good to see them actually trying to play ball & string passes together. Just shows they can play and this bull about not having good enough players to play that way is just that. They didn't make it as pro's without being able to pass a ball around. 

We do lack a good number 10 & finisher unfortunately but hopefully some of the younger lads coming through can be that in time. On the goal, Doherty lost his man ok but Randolph was glued to his line - he should have come and got that. Unlucky with a few scrambles in the box ourselves and on another day one would've gone in. 

Something to build on at least and hopefully the draw now is kind to us. Atmosphere sounded great on tv

Edit: Think we've built Denmark up to be something they're not based on the 5-1 game. They're nothing special

Edited by Croftman - 19 Nov 2019 at 11:08am
Some people just deserve a slap
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

We started the game with 4 central midfielders and 1 no 10 in D McG, not once did we have a true no 9 on the pitch. Shocking when you realise we had a free shot at qualification.

we play not to lose games. we don't go out with a mindset were going to win this game. basically it has been that way since Trap. we need to change this mindset, hopefully Kenny can do that. when was the last time we went 2-0 up in a game against any decent team.

yes when steven kenny is here he'll consume the english with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightening from his arse  <span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">.</span>

Bosnia 2-0 2016EC play off. We actually went it for that night and killed them.

Please not Wales in play offs - I'm sick of Denmark and Wales...

Its getting like the 6 nations playing the same teams every fookin year. 

EIRE LOVES THE PLAYOFFS. OUR FAVOURITE.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Some of the Danes were acting the bollox outside Slatts during their march to the ground. I was stuck in the middle of it as I was waiting to offload tickets to a couple of mates. 
It was on the brink of kicking off and the Gardai and stewards werent at the races at all. There was a couple of Danes who defo deserved a few slaps although some of the older fellas seemed apologetic. 
It's rare enough that you would see bottles being thrown and general handbags around Lansdowne road. Whoever threw the garlic cheese fries, its stuck in my mind about what an effective weapon they are. There are very few foodstuffs that I would hate to get hit by more than them. 

Not really surprised there. We had hassle up in Copenhagen in June from some of their younger fans but the aul lads kept them in line.

Was two Danish fans coked up to their eyeballs in the west stand upper, sitting directly in front of me with their Irish mates.

Acting the absolute bollocks for the entire game and trying to get people riled up. Putting their flags in peoples faces, and just generally having that sh*te sense of Danish ‘humor’ that I’ve experienced over the games against them. 

They were bragging about being Brondby and Copenhagen hooligans which makes no sense as they probably wouldn’t be mates if that was true. 

I’m not sure why their Irish mates thought it was a good idea to have them in the home end? 

We’re very tolerant but I doubt they’d of gotten away with their nonsense if they playing Wales, Scotland, England or the North. 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:15am
Hourihane whipped in a ball last night that was begging someone to get on the end of, Clark almost did, we have no other midfielders in the team capable of playing such a ball and he does it regular even if he sometimes is weak when on the ball.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 19 Nov 2019 at 11:16am
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:19am

There was a lot of pricks giving it the 5-1 hand signals. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:20am
I watched the highlights earlier we didn't really create much chances, I thought some of the goal line scrambles were better than they were at the game last night. 

I'd like to believe that we can play like that again in the play offs but....
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I watched the highlights earlier we didn't really create much chances, I thought some of the goal line scrambles were better than they were at the game last night. 

I'd like to believe that we can play like that again in the play offs but....

At very least we have to play like that again. No point in hoping to take the game to penalties, and we have to win sometime in order to qualify.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:31am
What really puzzles is that comment about Mick being the 'safe pair of hands'. The same way as Martin O'Neill supposedly played it safe. That is a paradox, because its ultimately an extremely risky approach. 

We've been told that we need to always keep it tight at the back, and see if we nick one. It rarely happens, it usually ends 1-1 in games against the seeds around us. We back ourselves into corners like last night, like Wales away in the previous campaign by this approach. There are more hands being taken off people than in Saudi Arabia, being 'bitten off for the draw'. Then we find ourselves in the last chance saloon, needing a win that we may or may not get. We didn't last night. And that's the safe approach!

It really puzzles me how going for it in a game can be seen as an unbelievable amount of risk, when not doing so backs us into the corner of a once-off must win game. Maybe we win that game last night more often than we draw it, and we got unlucky. Maybe not. But if we'd played like that in more games we would have stood a far better chance. Anything can go for or against you in a once-off game. Playing consistently well you will get what you deserve more often than not.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 19 Nov 2019 at 11:32am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:36am
Yes playing it safe and trying to nick one is actually the philopsophy of La Masia instilled by the great Johan Cryuff.

"If you had offered me a point against Georgia I'd have taken it." - Johan Cryuff 1992
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 66>
  Share Topic