Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuff you never see in football anymore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 34>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 1:13pm
Sweepers.  Most centre backs now are front foot high line players and you never see one player drop deep.  

Used to happen all the time in amateur football.  A 35 year old would β€œplay” sweeper πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€. Cause his legs were gone and could read the game 

Frightening to think I am now 10 years older than these auld lads were then πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Edited by Baldrick - 01 Mar 2023 at 1:15pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 1:24pm
Probably already been mentioned, but keepers wearing tracky bottoms, particularly the fleecy ones favoured by Gabor Kiraly (Palace)
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Sweepers.  Most centre backs now are front foot high line players and you never see one player drop deep.  

Used to happen all the time in amateur football.  A 35 year old would β€œplay” sweeper πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€. Cause his legs were gone and could read the game 

Frightening to think I am now 10 years older than these auld lads were then πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

I can assure you there are still lads that are 10 years older than you still playing ball at a decent level.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:18pm

Matthias Sammer was one of my favourite players 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Players swallowing their tongues.
Weird I was only reading about this in the news yesterday

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 3:32pm
Why basic first aid should be taught because there's no need to be sticking your fingers or anything into someone's mouth.

Virtually impossible to swallow your tongue and basic CPR tells you to lift their chin upwards to move the tongue away from the back of the throat and opens the airway.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 3:41pm

Can't beat a good old fashioned sweeper, none of that offside trap nonsense Clap
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I can assure you there are still lads that are 10 years older than you still playing ball at a decent level.

I know that.  Just saying back in the day the auld lad back in the day was often 35 πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
AKA pedantic kunt
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 6:24pm
strikers who score goals.  Instead they are praised for their workrate.

strike partnerships like Cole and Yorke, Shearer and Sutton, Stoichkov and Romario...
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

strikers who score goals.  Instead they are praised for their workrate.

strike partnerships like Cole and Yorke, Shearer and Sutton, Stoichkov and Romario...
Or the Derry City trio...Johnston, Mooney & O'Brien
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Quality theme music 

Before my time but 

The Euro '84 Intro Cool

Edited by Denis Irwin - 03 Mar 2023 at 9:34pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 10:09pm
You forgot about the BBC theme music for Italia 90 (Nessun Dorma). Heart

Nowadays, they're coming up with some naff tik-tok style 'effort' for their World Cup title sequence. Unhappy
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 1:00am
Remember the crazy ref Raul Dominguez from the Ireland Mexico game in 96, think he sent off Daish, and then McCarthy and Quinn from the bench after Quinn ran on the pitch in protest. Remember he presented the match ball to the Mexican fans at the end, madman LOL Never reffed an international after that, think the FAI threatened to boycott the US Cup unless he was booted.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 8:30am
There was never players in the 80s or earlier with double barrel surnames. 

Chris Bart Williams being one of the first if I recall and there has been a plague of them since.  Wots all that about Jeff?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 9:05am
Ian Storey-Moore earliest I recall
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 9:10am

Chris Bart Williams being one of the first if I recall and there has been a plague of them since.  Wots all that about Jeff?

Because separation and divorce rates are higher and also more couples want to have the mothers name on the birth certificate of the child under their name. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 10:12am

Because separation and divorce rates are higher and also more couples want to have the mothers name on the birth certificate of the child under their name. 
I'm looking forward to this trend continuing with the next generation, when James Ward-Prouse's sister and Trent Alexander-Arnold have a kid and it becomes "John Ward-Prouse-Alexander-Arnold". 

Double barrelling names is one things that annoys the f**k out of me
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 10:16am

Wasn't that the original intent that Hoddle had for Ruud Gullit when he signed for Chelsea in 1995. Hoddle had done the same at Swindon. But it was discovered that Gullit still had something left in the tank.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 34>
  Share Topic