Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57198
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 6:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stuff you never see in football anymore
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Stuff you never see in football anymore
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:19am
Keepers rolling the ball with their feet to the penalty spot then picking it up, bouncing it 3  or 4 times then kicking it from their hands up the pitch.  Think John Lukic, Bruce Grobelaar. Packie, Neville Southall. 

Keepers bringing a small kitbag and a towel into their goal

Players making awkward run ups when taking corner kicks because there was no noom. Having to start off from the gravel then jump up onto the pitch. Nowadays they have those carpets around the pitch at pitch level.

Shots nestling in the back of the net so the keeper has to lift up the net to retrieve the ball.

Pilon floodlights. You never see a player with 4 shadows anymore.

Stanchioning. Box netting in every stadium now. 

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:21am
Fans at Man City's ground.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Keepers rolling the ball with their feet to the penalty spot then picking it up, bouncing it 3  or 4 times then kicking it from their hands up the pitch.  Think John Lukic, Bruce Grobelaar. Packie, Neville Southall. 

Players making awkward run ups when taking corner kicks because there was no noom. Having to start off from the gravel then jump up onto the pitch. Nowadays they have those carpets around the pitch at pitch level.

Shots nestling in the back of the net so the keeper has to lift up the net to retrieve the ball.

What was in the kitbag??   Was it just a bottle of water?

I miss the old jerseys that blew in the wind. They super tight ones are rubbish and even more so for the fans.

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:07am
A bit of lace in a v neck design at the front of the shirt

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I miss the old jerseys that blew in the wind. They super tight ones are rubbish and even more so for the fans.

Not sure what was in it tbhLOL
Maybe spare gloves?  Was a small washbag size thing. Usually had the glove manufacturer on it like Uhlsport or Sondico etc..

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:29am
Players with ridiculously long laces having to wrap it around the underside of the boot ot around the ankles to get rid of extra slack.  You see    this  with     players like      BURRUCHAGA      1986

-------------

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

A bit of lace in a v neck design at the front of the shirt

Sparta Praha 1991/92 lives long in the memory

The next European Cup round may suit
some of Trap Junior's laments.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:55pm
Goalkeepers jerseys with padding on the elbows

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:30pm

Players with ridiculously long laces having to wrap it around the underside of the boot ot around the ankles to get rid of extra slack.  You see    this  with     players like      BURRUCHAGA      1986

The Argentinian sub goalie who ended up playing most of their game during Italia 90 used to do this. Had the tongue of the Copa's tied around the lower part of the shinguard too.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

The Argentinian sub goalie who ended up playing most of their game during Italia 90 used to do this. Had the tongue of the Copa's tied around the lower part of the shinguard too.

Sergio      GOYCOCHEA     EL    GOYCO

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:49pm
The one and only.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 6:38pm
Drop balls been contested between teams

Keane kicking Speed to win the ball
https://twitter.com/90sfootball/status/770702677109972992?s=21" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/90sfootball/status/770702677109972992?s=21

-------------

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Depends on the keeper. Joe Harte had shampoo while others kept a few packs of Wrigleys Extra. Rene Higuita had a bag full of the white stuff. 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:41pm

Italia 90 was probably my first football memory, and this was one of the nmes that stuck in my head. Never realised he was a backup

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Italia 90 was probably my first football memory, and this was one of the nmes that stuck in my head. Never realised he was a backup

Pumpido got injured in the 2nd game against CCCP.  I dont know if they had a 3rd keeper if EL    GOYCO    got injured

EDIT: He broke his leg 2nd game not 1st game.

-------------

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:52pm
Severe lack of lunatic goalkeepers these days

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:53pm
They had three goalkeepers and were allowed to replace Pumpido too.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Severe lack of lunatic goalkeepers these days

LOL 

Karius is fulfilling the void quite well at Besiktas, it's almost a weekly thing now for him. 

If there's ever a Wall built in the UK, it wouldn't be Brexit, it'd be the scousers putting one up so he can't come back to Liverpool once the loan ends.

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:03pm

Players with ridiculously long laces having to wrap it around the underside of the boot ot around the ankles to get rid of extra slack.  You see    this  with     players like      BURRUCHAGA      1986

Sergio      GOYCOCHEA     EL    GOYCO

Pumpido got injured in the 2nd game against CCCP.  I dont know if they had a 3rd keeper if EL    GOYCO    got injured

EDIT: He broke his leg 2nd game not 1st game.

Pumpido nearly lost a finger a year before that 1990 WC. He jumped up to save a shot and his wedding ring got caught on a nail on the crossbar. Ouch.

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:07pm
Cars parked behind the goals (Stamford Bridge).

Short shorts.

Socks rolled down around the ankles.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

If you use 1934 as a barometer then yes, you may have some sort of point.
That was the year that the attendance record for an English club ground was set, when 84,569 people attended Manchester City vs Stoke. Not bad for a club with no fans or history.

I imagine that you weren't around then, and didn't get into football until the 1990s. If so, then the average Man City home league attendance in 1994 was 22,725
Despite being relegated to what used to be known as Division One, the average attendance a few years later was actually higher, at 26,753, and in 1998/99, it was a remarkable 28,261 despite playing in Division Two

Those figures are almost half of the average attendance these days in the Etihad Stadium however, which was most recently 54,130. Again, not bad for a team with no fans

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 1:07pm

That was the year that the attendance record for an English club ground was set, when 84,569 people attended Manchester City vs Stoke. Not bad for a club with no fans or history.

I imagine that you weren't around then, and didn't get into football until the 1990s. If so, then the average Man City home league attendance in 1994 was 22,725
Despite being relegated to what used to be known as Division One, the average attendance a few years later was actually higher, at 26,753, and in 1998/99, it was a remarkable 28,261 despite playing in Division Two

Those figures are almost half of the average attendance these days in the Etihad Stadium however, which was most recently 54,130. Again, not bad for a team with no fans

Yeah I kinda like the idea that City averaged 28k in League 1, and hasn't completely ballooned to silly figures. They've a fairly large core fanbase, which outnumbers the new fans and daytrippers.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:48pm

Yeah I kinda like the idea that City averaged 28k in League 1, and hasn't completely ballooned to silly figures. They've a fairly large core fanbase, which outnumbers the new fans and daytrippers.
Exactly. From working at a bar in Manchester I used to enjoy city fans coming in.  They were knowledgeable to chat to and didn't seem to take current success for granted.  Used to dread working for United matches.  Pub be full of peaky blinders wannabe scrotes from dublin who couldn't handle their drink and scandinavians who were as much craic as a funeral or had no interest in football and were just there to see zlatan

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:50pm
You never see a keeper making a diving catch with both hands anymore.  Used to be all the rage in the 80's like white dog sh*te.

-------------

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:10pm
Rare enough to see long sleeve jerseys. Usually just a short sleeve shirt and base layer underneath. 

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Rare enough to see long sleeve jerseys. Usually just a short sleeve shirt and base layer underneath. 
YArmolenko at WH a great exponent of this at the moment

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:42pm
Players signing a new contract on a table on the pitch before a game  with the manager and chairman sitting beside them.

-------------

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:39pm
Tracksuit bottoms on GKs. Managers wearing hats or smoking a cig.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

I remember there being a time when you couldn’t get long sleeve replica jerseys.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:42pm
Football howler videos. Danny Dyer was the last of a dying breed

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Allegri smokes, doesn’t he? 

As I’m here, you never hear any pundit say anything interesting, entertaining or even mildly worthwhile.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

As I’m here, you never hear any pundit say anything interesting, entertaining or even mildly worthwhile.

Did we ever get much of that though? I always thought the realm of football punditry was the preserve of inane sound bites and clichés. Certainly in the UK at least.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Did we ever get much of that though? I always thought the realm of football punditry was the preserve of inane sound bites and clichés. Certainly in the UK at least.
Yeah, but at least there was only one of them! Now you have a squad of fifty of them saying even less! They used to have personalities too, many of them bad, but it was something!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:02pm

Yeah, but at least there was only one of them! Now you have a squad of fifty of them saying even less! They used to have personalities too, many of them bad, but it was something!

This is true. There's no doubt they have become more vacuous over the years, I just don't really recall a 'golden age' as such of football punditry. Or if there was it was before my time!

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:06pm

This is true. There's no doubt they have become more vacuous over the years, I just don't really recall a 'golden age' as such of football punditry. Or if there was it was before my time!
There probably wasn’t, although Clough was a pundit for a while, but it seems to be regressing. When BT started off they had some decent writers on their Sunday night European show, that was a step in the right direction.

I guess as the game has become boring at the highest levels the discussion around it is hardly going to evolve!

-------------

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:12pm
Rolls of receipts been thrown on the pitch. 

Players running across goalkeepers during their kick outs, trying to put them off. 

The number boards. (not the digital kind) for changing subs. 

Big tongues covering the laces on football boots used to be all the rage (puma king)

Mucky footballers. Pitches are too 'grassy' these days LOL

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 3:42pm
Black bands on the bottom of goalposts like Nou Camp or 1978 WC.

Player managers

Outfield players having to go in goals after the keeper got injured.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:05pm

Player managers

In fairness the last one is a lot more regular. It’s happened twice this decade at West Ham. Both Henri Lansbury and Carl Jenkinson have clean sheets to their name.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Player managers

In fairness the last one is a lot more regular. It’s happened twice this decade at West Ham. Both Henri Lansbury and Carl Jenkinson have clean sheets to their name.
With 7 substitues these days, there's no excuse for not listing a Sub GK in your matchday squad.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Player managers

With 7 substitues these days, there's no excuse for not listing a Sub GK in your matchday squad.

Two clean sheets!

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:44pm

Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Allegri smokes, doesn’t he? 

On the sideline? Isn't it illegal to smoke in a football ground in the UK?

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:53pm
Players with tape over their rings

Small stripes like Aston Villa pitch 1992

Different brands of footballs depending on the ground.  Old Trafford had Umbro, Anfield adidas, Blackburn Mitre.

Small fishnet type nets with the small holes.

Mucky pitches and goalmouths

Clubcall for the latest team news

Keepers kicking the posts to clean their studs

Inflatable bananas

The Vidiprinter on BBC

The Pools results

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:53pm

Different brands of footballs depending on the ground.  Old Trafford had Umbro, Anfield adidas, Blackburn Mitre.

Inflatable bananas

The Vidiprinter on BBC

How short were the shorts that let you see their rings?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:57pm

Inflatable bananas

The Vidiprinter on BBC

How short were the shorts that let you see their rings?

VeryLOL

You never see players having to tuck their shirt into their shorts anymore. Think it used to be mandatory.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:42pm
As for inflatables, a Grimsby fan was found guilty of assaulting a steward at Barnet with an inflatable shark a few seasons back!

-------------

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:59pm
Pylon floodlights creating multiple shadows still in use at Edgeley Park last night

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:07pm
Goalies without gloves

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: grabli
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 3:06pm
Keepers kicking it long and fans shouting oooohhhh your shhiiittt aaaahhhh at said keeper

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:27am
Different stadiums.  All the same symmetrical bowls now. No individuality or quirks.

Games in Eastern Europe being held in intimidating communist stadiums with commentary over a bad phone line.  Getting a win felt like going to Moscow, breaking into the KGB headquarters for top secret info and getting out of there with your life intact.

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:52am
man utd winning a match  

Liverpool winning a league 

Ireland players playing for a.top club 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:06am

Different stadiums.  All the same symmetrical bowls now. No individuality or quirks.

Games in Eastern Europe being held in intimidating communist stadiums with commentary over a bad phone line.  Getting a win felt like going to Moscow, breaking into the KGB headquarters for top secret info and getting out of there with your life intact.

Wasn't there this time around, but really like the Dinamo stadium in Tbilisi for old school feel. 

Plenty of old school stadia about. The problem is you dont really see them, because the national teams and the big domestic clubs who are in Europe normally have (or play in for Europe) soulless bowl arenas. 

Went to Rapid Wien's stadium before it closed down and got replaced by a standard Lego stadium. Cracking old ground

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:42am
Copenhagen is good

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 5:50pm
Watching matches towards the end of the season and large portions of the pitch, particularly around both penalty areas and the centre circle, being more or less completely grass-free, with large quantities of sand liberally dumped in those areas.

Masking tape being used in lieu of a proper captain's armband. Or was that only ever the EIRE team?

People having a bit of a soft spot for Man City and their long-suffering supporters.

English football teams being owned, not by a Saudi 'prince', American 'sports  group', Russian oligarch, east-Asian Kleptocrat or brutal Gulf state dictatorship, but rather a local businessman; probably the owner of the region's bathroom showrooms or furniture warehouses, who arrives at games in a chauffer-driven Jag rather than a helicopter landing on the pitch, and whose level of wealth, and evil, is of an altogether more modest nature.

Old-fashioned advertising hoardings that aren't of the garish electronic kind promoting a Korean lager or Qatari airline but are instead plywood and making people aware of an obscure local tyre fitters or butchers shop.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Watching matches towards the end of the season and large portions of the pitch, particularly around both penalty areas and the centre circle, being more or less completely grass-free, with large quantities of sand liberally dumped in those areas.

Masking tape being used in lieu of a proper captain's armband. Or was that only ever the EIRE team?

People having a bit of a soft spot for Man City and their long-suffering supporters.

English football teams being owned, not by a Saudi 'prince', American 'sports  group', Russian oligarch, east-Asian Kleptocrat or brutal Gulf state dictatorship, but rather a local businessman; probably the owner of the region's bathroom showrooms or furniture warehouses, who arrives at games in a chauffer-driven Jag rather than a helicopter landing on the pitch, and whose level of wealth, and evil, is of an altogether more modest nature.

Old-fashioned advertising hoardings that aren't of the garish electronic kind promoting a Korean lager or Qatari airline but are instead plywood and making people aware of an obscure local tyre fitters or butchers shop.

LOL

I watch a lot of those football years on sky.  You always had 'Harcros Timber Merchants'  and 'Ascot Sports' and 'British Steel' advertising in most grounds.

Going back to the 1980's you had a lot of those alphabets on the sidelines.  Someone said they were for announcing the half time scores.  Not sure how that worked!

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:40pm

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

LOL

I watch a lot of those football years on sky.  You always had 'Harcros Timber Merchants'  and 'Ascot Sports' and 'British Steel' advertising in most grounds.

Going back to the 1980's you had a lot of those alphabets on the sidelines.  Someone said they were for announcing the half time scores.  Not sure how that worked!

Nowadays you have those companies sponsoring the entire ground, more so at lower league grounds in England. LOL

Yeah, I've seen those alphabet yokes on perimeter hoardings while watching those retro games on BT Sport. Anyone know what they were really for? 

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:50pm

Printed in the programme, each letter associated with a fixture of the day in that Division.  Should be alphabetical, so a match programme shouldn't be needed.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Printed in the programme, each letter associated with a fixture of the day in that Division.  Should be alphabetical, so a match programme shouldn't be needed.

Right and how on earth can you tell a score off a letter?

-------------

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:35pm
Goalkeeper kits used to be a bit more individual and exotic. Nowadays they are just one colour from head-to-toe and very bland.

The kind of kit worn by Jorge Campos or Klaus Lindenberger is now more likely to be an away strip for a premier league team, used even when there is no clash of colours.

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:48pm
I remember Stuart Pearce recalling forest allowing him to continue doing cash jobs as a plumber even though he was not only full time but an England international!bit hard to see any of today’s little luvvies pulling on the boiler suit

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
Managers wearing football manager type coats - those Umbro ones that go down to near your knee (before the Wenger sleeping bag)

Captains exchanging pennants before kick off

Shoot and Match magazine 

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:57pm

Managers wearing football manager type coats - those Umbro ones that go down to near your knee (before the Wenger sleeping bag)

Captains exchanging pennants before kick off

Shoot and Match magazine 

Pennants still happen before most Serie A games 

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I remember Stuart Pearce recalling forest allowing him to continue doing cash jobs as a plumber even though he was not only full time but an England international!bit hard to see any of today’s little luvvies pulling on the boiler suit

I remember reading that he used to advertise the business in the matchday programme.  He had his brother working for him by then but it was under the name Stuart Pearce Electrics or something.  Clough brought in his iron and told Pearce that he was a fraud and that he was making people think that stuart Pearce would come round to your house and fix your appliance or whatever you were looking for.  He told Pearce that he better fix his iron personally or he was out of the team.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:23pm
I have heard Pearce tell that story on a podcast alright!

Regarding the alphabet mentioned above, there would be two hatches below the letter giving the half-time score with the home team listed first. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:38pm
Football shirts that aren't 'retro-influenced'.

High-profile players with Hi-Tec boot deals.

Full-backs who covered their centre-half and made a genuine attempt to prevent the ball from being crossed into their penalty area.

Cica boots.

Those nasal-strips that the likes of Robbie Fowler and Kenny Cunningham used to wear. 

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 8:59am
The annoyance of watching Grandstand on a Saturday and having it suddenly rudely interrupted by Final Score from Northern Ireland and Jackie Fullerton telling you how Ards got on against Crusaders.

Staying up to watch the midweek football highlights on Sportsnight. https://youtu.be/naD6cYYVs_c" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/naD6cYYVs_c

Working class blokes going to watch Arsenal rather than the wanky middle-class twats you see nowadays who, rather than buying a burger at the ground, go to the Waitrose on Holloway Road on the way to buy something organic from the deli counter.

Feeling genuine excitement and enthusiasm before a big live FA Cup tie with the sense that it was a real event.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:14am

Don't really remember these yokes. Any photos of them going?

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:26am

Don't really remember these yokes. Any photos of them going?
https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/h8t6g/does_anyone_know_what_those_alphabets_on_the/" rel="nofollow - https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/h8t6g/does_anyone_know_what_those_alphabets_on_the/

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:45am

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/h8t6g/does_anyone_know_what_those_alphabets_on_the/" rel="nofollow - https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/h8t6g/does_anyone_know_what_those_alphabets_on_the/

Sound. Mad looking things.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:55am
Footballers with their shirt tucked in at the front but out at the sides and back
Think Jason McAteer

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:04am
Keepers wearing baseballs caps, hasn't been seen in Premier Lge since Chris Kirkland wore one in 2009. Also 45 year old goalkeeping coaches on the bench in emergency crisis non-existent.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:07am
http://www.goalkeepersaredifferent.com/keepers/getting-personal.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.goalkeepersaredifferent.com/keepers/getting-personal.html lot of stuff here you don't see any more

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:24am
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Keepers wearing baseballs caps, hasn't been seen in Premier Lge since Chris Kirkland wore one in 2009. Also 45 year old goalkeeping coaches on the bench in emergency crisis non-existent.

John Burridge and Steve Ogrizivic ClapClapClap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:54am
Boys pens in the grounds, fenced off from the rest of the terrace and half price in. Used to be one at the back of the Gwladys Street end at Goodison Park and one at the side of the Kop at Anfield.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

John Burridge and Steve Ogrizivic ClapClapClap

Steve Ogrizivic was told if he wanted a 1 year contract extension he had to give up smoking! Not much of that left either or again Ogrizivic, no more footballers spending their summers playing cricket

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Boys pens in the grounds, fenced off from the rest of the terrace and half price in. Used to be one at the back of the Gwladys Street end at Goodison Park and one at the side of the Kop at Anfield.
Was one in the old Landsdowne Road too

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:41pm
On the news:  ''If you don't want to know the results, look away now''LOL

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:50pm

Saturday night sports news with David Davis or Rob Bonnett Clap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:02pm

And ten seconds later “well thats Spurs through to the next round”

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:34pm
Crack Eastern European Outfits....

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Tony Cousins
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Crack Eastern European Outfits....

with a right full who'd blem a free kick into the top corner from 40 yards.

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 6:53pm
Proper footballs.

The Adidas Tango.  The god of footballs.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 12:16pm
Looking forward to the start of the season to see the novelty of pitches in perfect condition full of grass with nice stripes.  By September or October they were starting to get wrecked. full mucky pitches by December.

-------------

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 4:02pm
Glasgow Rangers

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 9:08pm
players swapping shirts

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Glasgow Rangers

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Glasgow Rangers
LOL

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 9:23pm

Player managers

Jesus, that's the winner right there Clap

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Player managers

Jesus, that's the winner right there Clap

Tony's was quality too LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 9:32pm
I know I just ffing read it now too LOL

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 9:59pm
John Delaney

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 10:10pm
Utility centre-halfs/forwards in the mould of Dion Dublin, Chris Sutton, Tommy Mooney, Ian Marshall and greatest of them all Gary Doherty.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 10:30pm
Martin O'Neill's brand of football

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I watched 90 minutes of it at Old Trafford today. I was getting flashbacks of Tony O'Donoghue interviewing MON post match it was all so eerily similar.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Speaking of MON I saw a tv programme about Clough who would cancel training at short notice and make the lads run through a field of nettles.  Another time they went picking mushrooms.LOL

I wonder did MON ever try that trick to keep the players on their toes.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:24pm
a UEFA cup match live on the BBC on a Tuesday night 
Aston Villa v Trabzonspor, with Tony Gubba on commentary 

Ray Stubbs presenting MOTD

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:27pm

Did they not show Blackburn v Trelleborgs that night?

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:37pm

LOL

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:39pm

LOL

LOL

Trelleborgs won 1-0 if I remember!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:42pm
Yep! 1-0.

That’s another thing you never see, Blackburn in European competition anymore.

But it was always a car crash.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:43pm
Keepers throwing the ball out vast distances circa 50 yds throw by Schmeichel.

Keepers wearing baseball caps for the sun.

Magic sponges.

Adidas World Cup boots

German teams with the players all having mustaches.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net