FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthony Scully

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

If scully keeps this form up then I'm sure he will make it into the next squad he probably just didn't make the cut this time because of the other options available versus some general issue that Kenny has with him

Other options being available can't be an excuse when Ronan Curtis was called up to the squad. Man hasn't scored or assisted yet in his seven games this season.

Someone needs to press him on it if he's excluded again when Curtis is getting in ahead of him, and Shane Long who'll be 36 before the next qualifiers begin. Even Michael Duffy was on stand by for this squad.

I don't really rate Curtis too highly either but Curtis has been in the squad already so knows the set up. Managers like to generally build on what have and not be harsh and drop someone easily for another player unless that other player is clearly in better form. It's easy for us to sit here and say "I think player A is better than player B so Player A should be in the squad.  But Kenny also has to deal with the emotional side and what type of impact it can have on the squad.  Scully I'm sure if he keeps it up, he will get in. 
Sponsored Links

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

A senior cap somehow eluded his dad, Tony Scully, a tricky winger who played for numerous clubs including Man City, Crystal Palace and Stoke, though his best spell was probably at QPR. Tony Snr is still only 45, a former under-21and Ireland 'B' international whose career was ended by injury. No doubt he'd be delighted to see his son get a senior cap.

Nine goals as winger in nearly 130 league matches. 5 of which came in a spell lete in his career after returning from non league. Only once played more than ten games in a year at Division 1 level. If he was playing now he wouldn't get near the team let alone when we had a good teamConfused
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:03pm
I think on the numbers alone, he deserves a call up, if only to reward him for his progress. I'm not sure I'd start him though, even vs Qatar, as lads like Idah and Connolly might need minutes in that game given their lack of minutes at club level. Maybe a spin off the bench. The friendlies in March look like a good time to have a proper look.

I also dont think it's as cut and dried as some are making out. I'd be going into the next round of games looking to play a 5-2-3 with Connolly and Robinson to the left and right of Idah respectively. After those 3 there's James Collins, Parrott, Shane Long and potentially Obafemi. Throw in lads like Hogan, Maguire, Horgan, Curtis and Ogbene (or Knight, Mc Grath and even Robbie Brady if he can get some football somewhere if Kenny veers more towards a 5-3-2. As I said, I'd give him a call up just to reward his recent exploits, but I dont see him starting any of the games remaining in this campaign.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

[QUOTE=Los Aros]Another English league 1 player, and people are surprised we aren't beating teams like Azerbaijan Confused

Aye we should be choosing from the wealth of Premier League strikers we're ignoring Ermm
[/QUOTE

Im not saying he shouldn't be called up but it shows where are squad is at. Azerbaijan have players playing European groups stages every year and we want english league 1 players to save us and people will want Kenny sacked if we dont beat them.
No but when he is leaving players behind that might help our plight, and bringing guys like Curtis and Horgan before them people are right to wonder why
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:47pm

[QUOTE=Los Aros]Another English league 1 player, and people are surprised we aren't beating teams like Azerbaijan Confused

Aye we should be choosing from the wealth of Premier League strikers we're ignoring Ermm
[/QUOTE

Im not saying he shouldn't be called up but it shows where are squad is at. Azerbaijan have players playing European groups stages every year and we want english league 1 players to save us and people will want Kenny sacked if we dont beat them.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:38pm

Another English league 1 player, and people are surprised we aren't beating teams like Azerbaijan Confused

Tbf I'm not too bothered at him not getting called up! He's not dissapearing he's still our prospect and I don't see a scenario where he's holding out for England at all! 

I do agree he deserves one next month but if he keeps banging them in he will get a Championship move next summer and it will take care of itself we won't ignore him forever if he keeps rising up the ranks!

I think there's every chance he ends up a Vardy Wilson Watkins Toney Murray type attacker that ends up progressing right the way up into a top flight footballer in time one that can score! He's just turned 22 so he's still quite young.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:51pm

Another English league 1 player, and people are surprised we aren't beating teams like Azerbaijan Confused

Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:20pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:17pm
A senior cap somehow eluded his dad, Tony Scully, a tricky winger who played for numerous clubs including Man City, Crystal Palace and Stoke, though his best spell was probably at QPR. Tony Snr is still only 45, a former under-21and Ireland 'B' international whose career was ended by injury. No doubt he'd be delighted to see his son get a senior cap.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:05pm
He should have been brought in previously he was doing enough to get a look in considering  our strikers return.
He definitely deserves ago now and if he doesn’t it will be obvious Kenny doesn’t fancy him

Edited by Fruice - 13 Sep 2021 at 2:06pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Strange one. On form he's highest performing striker.

Griggs did well for the 6 from L1.

No he didn’t.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Kenny didn't pick players when they were scoring in the EPL  (Obafemi), so it will be a case of whether Kenny thinks he can fit into his system.

He plays both left and right of a front three as well as centre forward, so if Kenny can't fit him into his system that says more about the limitations of the system than it does about Scully.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:43pm
On current form I would say that Scully should be ahead of Horgan (who has been good for us but last games showed a lack of quality at that level)

Bit different of late as Mcclean is playing left wing back now (which i really Don this is ideal for him) but when deployed in a more advanced role I think scully should also get the nod over him.

All in all its good to see some competition come through

B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Kenny didn't pick players when they were scoring in the EPL  (Obafemi), so it will be a case of whether Kenny thinks he can fit into his system.

Kenny likes strikers who don't score goals.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:27pm
There’s always someone left out we all think should be there! I’d be shocked if he’s not in the next squad, no comparison form wise between himself & Curtis who are at the same level 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:25pm

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:24pm

Strange one. On form he's highest performing striker.

Griggs did well for the 6 from L1.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:18pm
It is an odd one - Kenny never capped him at Under 21 level either, although he was with West Ham Under 23s at the time and a lot has changed for him since. If he didn't impress Kenny back then you'd hope he's not judging him on what he saw at that time and is taking account of his development since. He's quick, a good passer, knows where the goal is and is only 22, what's not to like really? It's League 1 that he's impressing in, but we're picking players who aren't impressing at that level so why omit someone who is standing out in the same division.

You'd assume it's a formality now that he will be in the next squad. It would be crazy to leave him out given the underperformance of our attackers during the last international period.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
  Share Topic