You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA football 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 56>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

But when you see clubs like kilmacud with Membership fees of €960,000 
Last week the figure being bandied about by the Ewans was 750k

Where the fook are these figures coming from

From what I can make out they're way off

Also that is one club in one of the wealthiest areas of the country

Kilmacud Crokes are not representative of clubs in Dublin, they're the biggest club in the country

They also had 0 starters on Saturday, 1 sub

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:29pm
surely the dubs have just hit a purple patch in the quality coming say over the last 10/15yrs....I mean no amount of money f**ked at training facilities or game development officers etc will mean anything if the players coming through don’t have the quality or buy into the cause???the population factor is a huge advantage...bigger pool,better quality etc but most of these lads play little or no football for there club other than championship so when you see a Howard or Fenton or in the past mccaffrey (who play for clubs that’d be out early’ish in the championship) and see them perform so well for Dublin you just have to marvel at the quality of player they are....and no amount of money can buy that.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

yisser getting away from the real facts here, culchies are bad losers, whinged moaney babies, ahhh bless. f**k Mayo , up the dubsLOL

It's honesty anyway, if nothing else

Not serious pal, I can’t stand the gaa and their pro establishment bullsh*t, just a badly worded joke!me young fella lives in castle bar and though he finds the natives a little anti dub to say the least he loves it!!
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

I'd also be in favour of the weakest counties getting the most funding. Dublin, kerry, mayo, Tyrone should be bottom of the list. If any county needed saving back when Dublin got the special treatment it was Antrim and Derry. Antrim in particular with the islands second biggest city. An absolute disgrace Dublin received about 20 times more when their population is only about half of Dublin's. Pure bias in favour of Dublin. Remember back then Antrim would give Dublin a competitive game in hurling? No chance of that these days.

Could you imagine fifa had a meeting and concluded Man Utd needed saving so gave them 20 times the funding of every other team and home advantage in every big match. 
See the point about funding to Dublin is that there are large areas of the city which are GAA wastelands

Finglas and Tallaght have collapsed over the last 20 years or so and the far flung areas of Grater Blanchardstown aren't much better

Neilstown and Ballyfermot have never been GAA areas, the inner city doesn't have a club anymore

I accept that Belfast and Derry City would appear to be equally in need of such funding

That funding to grass roots in Dublin should stay because the main point of the GAA is that it is a grass roots community organisation 

It should be said too that the Dublin team do not train in sumptuous luxury, they train in Innisfails and St. Clare's which are pretty spartan

They do work harder than most other teams, and they work smarter

The point is to give other teams the ability to work smarter too

But some of Dublin's advantages are not fixable

The GAA can't fix the situation where players from other counties have to move county to study or to work while Dublin players don't

That's down to the economic imbalance of Ireland itself

I keep saying though, loads of counties are underperforming terribly

Mayo are not one of those, they never look for excuses, but Meath and Kildare definitely do

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

I'd also be in favour of the weakest counties getting the most funding. Dublin, kerry, mayo, Tyrone should be bottom of the list. If any county needed saving back when Dublin got the special treatment it was Antrim and Derry. Antrim in particular with the islands second biggest city. An absolute disgrace Dublin received about 20 times more when their population is only about half of Dublin's. Pure bias in favour of Dublin. Remember back then Antrim would give Dublin a competitive game in hurling? No chance of that these days.

Could you imagine fifa had a meeting and concluded Man Utd needed saving so gave them 20 times the funding of every other team and home advantage in every big match. 
See the point about funding to Dublin is that there are large areas of the city which are GAA wastelands

Finglas and Tallaght have collapsed over the last 20 years or so and the far flung areas of Grater Blanchardstown aren't much better

Neilstown and Ballyfermot have never been GAA areas, the inner city doesn't have a club anymore

I accept that Belfast and Derry City would appear to be equally in need of such funding

That funding to grass roots in Dublin should stay because the main point of the GAA is that it is a grass roots community organisation 

It should be said too that the Dublin team do not train in sumptuous luxury, they train in Innisfails and St. Clare's which are pretty spartan

The GAA can't fix the situation where players from other counties have to move county to study or to work while Dublin players don't

Mayo are not one of those, they never look for excuses, but Meath and Kildare definitely do

Ah jesus are you seriously saying the facilities in St Clares aren’t great?LOLLOL I’ve been to a fair share of different centres of excellence in different counties and apart from Abbotstown it’s probably the best I’ve seen. Im not taking away from the Dublin team for one second they are an exceptional group of footballers but Dublin Gaa is at a huge advantage in everyway. I can count off the top of my head 15/20 top class gaa facilities in Dublin be that club, college or gaa owned where the county teams can train. The Dublin funding is so much greater also compared to every other county. Over the last 10 years Dublin got 17 million the closest to that was Cork who got 1.4 million. How does that make sense? There is over 100 paid coaches in Dublin alone who are paid by funding. Up until a few years ago Donegal had 1. 1 single paid coach. So do you think the funding hasn’t helped develop Dublin Gaa?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

surely the dubs have just hit a purple patch in the quality coming say over the last 10/15yrs....I mean no amount of money f**ked at training facilities or game development officers etc will mean anything if the players coming through don’t have the quality or buy into the cause???the population factor is a huge advantage...bigger pool,better quality etc but most of these lads play little or no football for there club other than championship so when you see a Howard or Fenton or in the past mccaffrey (who play for clubs that’d be out early’ish in the championship) and see them perform so well for Dublin you just have to marvel at the quality of player they are....and no amount of money can buy that.
The Brogans, James McCarthy, Jack McCaffrey and Dean Rock are all sons of past great players

People say this is not a generational thing and Dublin only have two starters from 2011 now, but Kilkenny in 2009 only had two starters from 2000, so they were no different

Dublin have a lot of players who are at or near the end

MDMA, Cian O'Sullivan, Kevin McManamon and Paddy Andrews have all played their last game surely

Cluxton is 39
Dean Rock is 31
James McCarthy is 31 in March
Jonny Cooper is 31
Philly McMahon is 33
Mick Fitzsimons is 31

Even the Fenton/Kilkenny/Mannion/Small/McCaffrey generation are all 28 in 2021 - they're at they're peak and won't get better than they are, McCaffrey may never even play again

No guarantee at all that the younger players coming through will be as good

I thought Dublin on Saturday were well below the standard they displayed in the 2017 final, but neither were Mayo as good

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Ah jesus are you seriously saying the facilities in St Clares aren’t great?LOLLOL I’ve been to a fair share of different centres of excellence in different counties and apart from Abbotstown it’s probably the best I’ve seen. Im not taking away from the Dublin team for one second they are an exceptional group of footballers but Dublin Gaa is at a huge advantage in everyway. I can count off the top of my head 15/20 top class gaa facilities in Dublin be that club, college or gaa owned where the county teams can train. The Dublin funding is so much greater also compared to every other county. Over the last 10 years Dublin got 17 million the closest to that was Cork who got 1.4 million. How does that make sense? There is over 100 paid coaches in Dublin alone who are paid by funding. Up until a few years ago Donegal had 1. 1 single paid coach. So do you think the funding hasn’t helped develop Dublin Gaa?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30950485.html

Humble by any shape or means, as former player Alan Brogan insisted last year. “All that’s in St Clare’s is one dressing room, an ice-bath, a kitchen and a whiteboard. It’s not a patch on Tyrone’s facility in Garganey, Kildare’s in Hawkfield, or Kerry’s new €7m development in Currans.”
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:05am
St. Claires clubhouse has quite a few dressing rooms and two fantastic pitches. It also has more dressing rooms down the other end. It's as good a set up as you need hence why dublin use it. Right beside it is DCU with a world class performance gym and other training facilities. Sadly other counties like Tyrone have to spend millions to achieve a lesser set up.

Limerick are in a similarly privileged position with access to world class facilities in UL and LIT. Most counties don't enjoy these luxuries. 
On the funding issue. If you want the massive funding to continue and even increase to improve participation in these so called potential growth areas in Dublin then don't expect other counties to ever compete with dublin again. Because that's just going to widen the gap further. And that's the crux of the issue. You can't justify maximising the potential of dublin when 1/3rd of the population resides there. To me you either keep dublin united, under fund them while over funding the rest or over fund them and split in two. 

You will argue against this if you are a dub but don't forget dublin have been over funded while others under funded despite dublin being better then most counties already during that time. And you never had a problem with that! So it's a bit rich to have a problem reversing. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:21am

Kilmacud Crokes are not representative of clubs in Dublin, they're the biggest club in the country

I saw that figure quoted on off the ball and it was at the lowest level of membership( I can’t say where it came from) it’s a staggering amount of money.
And that’s even more proof f that Dublin’s system is working that they can win an all Ireland an have only 1 representative from the biggest club in the country.
But there is plenty more huge clubs in Dublin churning out huge turnovers every year as I said before cula another example of this look at the scholarship deals they have set up.
Look at the rise of Castleknock in a decade 
All these dubs have come through development squads all the way up in serious set up that weren’t being run like that 20 years ago the gaa have helped the dubs hugely to get their house in order.

People are focusing too much on the money yes it’s important but it only part of the picture why they are so successful give all the funding you want to Monaghan and Cavan etc and they can only improve so much their playing pool is tiny.
The dubs have a huge pick everything is on their door step they can train twice in the day together if they want no hassle one of the biggest expenses on other inter county teams is travel expenses and big part of their budget is blown on this where it could be used better else where.
West Cork lads used have to travel to mallow to train with cork that’s about 3 and half hour round trip no chance in hell they could train twice in the day.
It’s a days work in travel time Alone not to mention the cost

As I said before the dubs hold all the aces everything is in their favour.
But no one in their right mind can say it’s fair the competition isn’t remotely fair and in its present set up they have very little ways of leveling the playing field.

And I’m Not for minute taking away from what the dubs have done but these are the harsh reality’s of the situation. 

Edited by Fruice - 22 Dec 2020 at 12:23am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:30am
Yeah but if you split Dublin in 2 or 4 and are then having an all-Ireland semi final of Kerry and 3 of the Dublin sides or an all Dublin final then I think that would be even worse for everyone outside of Dublin. Be careful what you wish for.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 1:00am

St. Claires clubhouse has quite a few dressing rooms and two fantastic pitches. It also has more dressing rooms down the other end. It's as good a set up as you need hence why dublin use it. Right beside it is DCU with a world class performance gym and other training facilities. Sadly other counties like Tyrone have to spend millions to achieve a lesser set up.

Limerick are in a similarly privileged position with access to world class facilities in UL and LIT. Most counties don't enjoy these luxuries. 
On the funding issue. If you want the massive funding to continue and even increase to improve participation in these so called potential growth areas in Dublin then don't expect other counties to ever compete with dublin again. Because that's just going to widen the gap further. And that's the crux of the issue. You can't justify maximising the potential of dublin when 1/3rd of the population resides there. To me you either keep dublin united, under fund them while over funding the rest or over fund them and split in two. 

You will argue against this if you are a dub but don't forget dublin have been over funded while others under funded despite dublin being better then most counties already during that time. And you never had a problem with that! So it's a bit rich to have a problem reversing. 
Dressing rooms and pitches don't win you All-Irelands

You can't justify not maximising Dublin's potential because the GAA is supposed to be a grass roots community organisation in which participation is the most important thing
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 1:10am

I saw that figure quoted on off the ball and it was at the lowest level of membership( I can’t say where it came from) it’s a staggering amount of money.
And that’s even more proof f that Dublin’s system is working that they can win an all Ireland an have only 1 representative from the biggest club in the country.
But there is plenty more huge clubs in Dublin churning out huge turnovers every year as I said before cula another example of this look at the scholarship deals they have set up.
Look at the rise of Castleknock in a decade 
All these dubs have come through development squads all the way up in serious set up that weren’t being run like that 20 years ago the gaa have helped the dubs hugely to get their house in order.

People are focusing too much on the money yes it’s important but it only part of the picture why they are so successful give all the funding you want to Monaghan and Cavan etc and they can only improve so much their playing pool is tiny.
The dubs have a huge pick everything is on their door step they can train twice in the day together if they want no hassle one of the biggest expenses on other inter county teams is travel expenses and big part of their budget is blown on this where it could be used better else where.
West Cork lads used have to travel to mallow to train with cork that’s about 3 and half hour round trip no chance in hell they could train twice in the day.
It’s a days work in travel time Alone not to mention the cost

As I said before the dubs hold all the aces everything is in their favour.
But no one in their right mind can say it’s fair the competition isn’t remotely fair and in its present set up they have very little ways of leveling the playing field.

And I’m Not for minute taking away from what the dubs have done but these are the harsh reality’s of the situation. 

As far as I know that figure came from the Westmeath player who was on radio, he just seemed to dream it up from a web page without even asking anybody

Monaghan have consistently punched above their weight for the last decade with a population of just 60k, they have their house in order

They're not the problem

Most counties have development squads

Dublin's lead in playing population is not that large, I don't have the statistics to hand but their lead in terms of playing population is a lot less proportionately than their lead in overall population

Nobody in Dublin denies that living and working in Dublin is an advantage for Dublin's players vis a vis, say, Mayo, but that's not a reason to split Dublin

There are common sense measures that can be taken to help make things more competitive but these are not being explored

Take Dublin out of Croke Park for all but the biggest matches is one obvious thing to do

It's unlikely there will be spectators at the 2021 championship - that should mean the only game Dublin play in Croke Park in 2021 is the All-Ireland final if they reach it

The competition has never been fair - it's representative sport which is inherently unfair - the World Cup qualifiers aren't fair either

Yet a country with 4 million people reached the last World Cup final

Edited by sid waddell - 22 Dec 2020 at 1:12am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 1:17am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Yeah but if you split Dublin in 2 or 4 and are then having an all-Ireland semi final of Kerry and 3 of the Dublin sides or an all Dublin final then I think that would be even worse for everyone outside of Dublin. Be careful what you wish for.
An all-Dublin final would be possible but even a North-South split would considerably weaken both teams

The South team would also have nowhere on the southside to play matches

Anyway we're not near this stage this yet - if Dublin win 15 in a row we might start talking about it
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 2:56am

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30950485.html

Humble by any shape or means, as former player Alan Brogan insisted last year. “All that’s in St Clare’s is one dressing room, an ice-bath, a kitchen and a whiteboard. It’s not a patch on Tyrone’s facility in Garganey, Kildare’s in Hawkfield, or Kerry’s new €7m development in Currans.”
Ah sure take what the Brogans say as gospel. Bernards made a fool of himself the last few weeks on twitter. St Clares has 3 full size grass pitches and a full-size AstroTurf along with a full gym. Garvahey in Tyrone for anyone that’s been there is probably the coldest place in Ireland I’m not even sure how they manage to train there during the winter it’s that bad. You are making points about funding for grassroots players also. That makes no sense either considering the proportion Dublin received per player in 2015. 39k players the funding was €275 per head, Mayo 10k was €22, Donegal 14k was €20. It’s way out of proportion the funding for Dublin 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 8:25am

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

An all-Dublin final would be possible but even a North-South split would considerably weaken both teams

The South team would also have nowhere on the southside to play matches

Anyway we're not near this stage this yet - if Dublin win 15 in a row we might start talking about it
In fairness it's harsh splitting Dublin while they've still won less titles then kerry. If they do 15 in a row I'm sure they would put them ahead of kerry? 

And tbh it's probably more likely dublin do 15 in a row then don't.. I'm not sure I'd bet against it. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 8:50am
As sid says representative sport is not about evening the playing field.  If they split Dublin on the basis of population then they effectively are turning the organisation and counties into like lectoral areas and it means they have to look into emerging countries.  You cant dublin as a count doesn't matter but all other counties are sacrosanct.  
AKA pedantic kunt
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:05am
In fairness I'd rather Mayo never win an All Ireland than win an All Ireland that didn't include Dublin as one unit. And maybe Dublin will win 15 in a row but if you split Dublin the whole championship would be tainted in my view. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:23am
AFAIK for Dublin to be split the clubs have to vote for it and that's not going to happen.

As mentioned before my club is a junior club and we have had matched funding for a GDO for the past couple of years. This fund raising is done to make our club better and hopefully more competitive with zero vision on inter counter success.

Are Dublin footballers ahead of the rest of the pack, Yes. However I would like to have know how opinions would differ had Mayo not scored 2 own goals in a final, Cillian O'Connor not the hit the post or Kerry finish off a 14 man Dublin side. All the GDO's in the world didn't result this year in Dublin not playing one team in the Championship who will be playing division 1 football next year.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 56>
  Share Topic