You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA football 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 56>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

For what it's worth, I don't think many people are actually blaming Dublin or trying to discredit what a fantastic team/operation they have and it's an easy cop out to dismiss those who have a genuine opinion and interest in the GAA as 'bitter culchies'

I have always been an advocate of a draft system, whereby the GAA target the weakest counties and in turn give the most financial aid to. This money could not be spent on hiring Jim Gavin to manage to Leitrim for €50k a year but in terms of GDO's, Grassroots, Training Facilities, Coaching Structures etc.

The smaller dual counties like Carlow, Westmeath, Laois etc who are doing huge work in terms of promoting Hurling should also be rewarded more than we'll say a county that doesn't do anything/much in terms of trying to help Hurling grow or in some cases counties in Munster that seriously lag way behind in helping Football develop.

That does make sense. However, unless something is done around sponsorship, other counties can make up the shortfall with a good sponsorship plan. The name on the shirt does matter to an extent, especially when you see the revenues of companies like AIG, Kerry Group and Investec. As do the sponsors for other aspect of the team.

That means that its up to other counties either to follow best practice when it comes to looking for sponsorship, and looking beyond county borders, and expecting them to fend for themselves. Or, you eliminate private funding altogether from the game, which includes shaking buckets etc.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

For what it's worth, I don't think many people are actually blaming Dublin or trying to discredit what a fantastic team/operation they have and it's an easy cop out to dismiss those who have a genuine opinion and interest in the GAA as 'bitter culchies'

I have always been an advocate of a draft system, whereby the GAA target the weakest counties and in turn give the most financial aid to. This money could not be spent on hiring Jim Gavin to manage to Leitrim for €50k a year but in terms of GDO's, Grassroots, Training Facilities, Coaching Structures etc.

The smaller dual counties like Carlow, Westmeath, Laois etc who are doing huge work in terms of promoting Hurling should also be rewarded more than we'll say a county that doesn't do anything/much in terms of trying to help Hurling grow or in some cases counties in Munster that seriously lag way behind in helping Football develop.

Spot on - the worst performing teams should get the most funding.
It’s a simple process to implement.

To keep funding the best county with 10x the funding of others just widens the gap. 

So, how does this work in practice? Do you keep Games Development officers on one year contracts and tell them their employment will be reviewed on a yearly basis pending the outcomes of all inter-county championships at all grades i.e. Encourage them to be bad at their job as it would give them a better chance of long term employment? 
Also, how do you define the "best county"? Dublin have won one provincial hurling championship in decades. Their record at minor level isn't good. Does that mean Dublin get more funding? 

You have a very cynical way of looking at this, it's rather amusing.

Why would it have to be over one year? A logical way of doing it would be over 5 years.

How many counties have one good year where they over perform and then boom crash back down to earth for another 20 years before their purple patch comes again. 

It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to grade teams either, re your post on Dublin Hurling. Why would they get more funding than say Wicklow or Sligo? Dublin are a top 8 county in Hurling, how much more help would they need seeing as the game is already growing at a rapid rate?

The whole idea of a draft system is to help grow the sport in under performing counties, if that's a bad thing we all should give up.

Edited by Green Devil - 21 Dec 2020 at 4:44pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 4:51pm

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Can somebody explain this "professional v amateurs" that has been mentioned here?
These Dublin players work in the same way that most other inter county players work so how is there some sort of advantage there? I don't see many of them giving up their jobs to live of the sponsorship so that is a red herring.
Very few of the Dubs work. Have a look at their profiles on their won website, all token jobs.
 - James McCarthy "works" in AIB (ie rolled out for sponsors once a year), same with John Small, 
 - Dean Rock works in a leisure centre (can't imagine that's 40 hours a week). 
 - Philly McMahon is a "Company Executive" (does a few personal training stuff in a gym), 
 - Michael Fitzsimins is a "Entrpreneur" (I'll come up with a job eventually).  - Kilkenny is a 27 year old student, 
 - MDMA was in DCU for about 12 years to become a teacher (and hasn't been in the first team since he started working)
 - At least Cooper, Howard, Murchan, Byrne and Scully just are honest and leave their Occupation field blank. 

Borussia, do you reckon you or me could afford to live in Dublin on any of those job titles (or be unemployed)? AIG pay these lads to be full time GAA players, anyone who shows any ambition to do a full time propoer job (Cian O'Sullivan, Jack McCaffrey) are ostracised from the group for not being committed enough to the cause

I got as far as Dean Rock and then stopped reading the rest of your post - Everybody who's picked up a paper over the past few years knows exactly what Dean Rock does so I can well imagine the rest of your post may be equally as untrue. 
Dean Rock's charity gig? You really think that's his only income? Taking a full time wage from a charity?

Head in the sand stuff here Borussia

Edited by Shedite - 21 Dec 2020 at 4:51pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:39pm

Can somebody explain this "professional v amateurs" that has been mentioned here?
These Dublin players work in the same way that most other inter county players work so how is there some sort of advantage there? I don't see many of them giving up their jobs to live of the sponsorship so that is a red herring.
Very few of the Dubs work. Have a look at their profiles on their won website, all token jobs.
 - James McCarthy "works" in AIB (ie rolled out for sponsors once a year), same with John Small, 
 - Dean Rock works in a leisure centre (can't imagine that's 40 hours a week). 
 - Philly McMahon is a "Company Executive" (does a few personal training stuff in a gym), 
 - Michael Fitzsimins is a "Entrpreneur" (I'll come up with a job eventually).  - Kilkenny is a 27 year old student, 
 - MDMA was in DCU for about 12 years to become a teacher (and hasn't been in the first team since he started working)
 - At least Cooper, Howard, Murchan, Byrne and Scully just are honest and leave their Occupation field blank. 

Borussia, do you reckon you or me could afford to live in Dublin on any of those job titles (or be unemployed)? AIG pay these lads to be full time GAA players, anyone who shows any ambition to do a full time propoer job (Cian O'Sullivan, Jack McCaffrey) are ostracised from the group for not being committed enough to the cause

I got as far as Dean Rock and then stopped reading the rest of your post - Everybody who's picked up a paper over the past few years knows exactly what Dean Rock does so I can well imagine the rest of your post may be equally as untrue. 
Dean Rock's charity gig? You really think that's his only income? Taking a full time wage from a charity?

Head in the sand stuff here Borussia

No, of course it isn't his only income - He will make money through sponsorship also.
But your assertion was that these players had token jobs and this is obviously not the case. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Spot on - the worst performing teams should get the most funding.
It’s a simple process to implement.

To keep funding the best county with 10x the funding of others just widens the gap. 

So, how does this work in practice? Do you keep Games Development officers on one year contracts and tell them their employment will be reviewed on a yearly basis pending the outcomes of all inter-county championships at all grades i.e. Encourage them to be bad at their job as it would give them a better chance of long term employment? 
Also, how do you define the "best county"? Dublin have won one provincial hurling championship in decades. Their record at minor level isn't good. Does that mean Dublin get more funding? 

You have a very cynical way of looking at this, it's rather amusing.

Why would it have to be over one year? A logical way of doing it would be over 5 years.

How many counties have one good year where they over perform and then boom crash back down to earth for another 20 years before their purple patch comes again. 

It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to grade teams either, re your post on Dublin Hurling. Why would they get more funding than say Wicklow or Sligo? Dublin are a top 8 county in Hurling, how much more help would they need seeing as the game is already growing at a rapid rate?

The whole idea of a draft system is to help grow the sport in under performing counties, if that's a bad thing we all should give up.

I'm not being cynical or overly defensive. The GAA system is built on inequality: If you were to design a new competition nationally now you would not have Dublin trying to compete with Louth nor Mayo with Leitrim for that matter. It is based on identity though which is why any talk of splitting or merging teams should not be entertained at all.
You seen to be viewing this issue through the prism of the Senior Football team in Dublin when that really should be excluded from the conversation on how development funding should be distributed. If you are to review it then it should be tagged to participation levels at underage. 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 6:25pm
Your synopsis of MDMA is horsesh*t
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 6:42pm
No one can blame the dubs a excellent team.
But if you really can’t see the unfairness of the whole competition you are mad.
The dubs hold all the aces more players, more money and better facilities.
Mark my words Cork have got their house in order and will become regular challengers in the next 10 years they have help with a bigger pick also but they have huge logistical problems that the dubs don’t suffer from.
If you are genuinely interested in seeing the game growing something radically must be done
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 7:40pm
@Borussia,

I can assure you by argument goes far deeper than merely using the Dublin Football Team as the main crux of it. A quick scan through my initial post will back that up.

Simply basing it around underage participation would be madness, underage participation in football especially in the likes of Wicklow, Leitrim, Sligo etc would be huge (per head of population) but what has that yielded? I'm not talking about yielding All Ireland titles or countless provincial underage titles year in year out either. It's about putting the correct structures in place, increasing funding and not allowing counties to just settle for mediocrity. 

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

But if you really can’t see the unfairness of the whole competition you are mad.
Mark my words Cork have got their house in order and will become regular challengers in the next 10 years they have help with a bigger pick also but they have huge logistical problems that the dubs don’t suffer from.
If you are genuinely interested in seeing the game growing something radically must be done

Such as? Not a loaded question - As I've said a few times already, this is a complex issue which probably needs complex solutions. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 8:42pm

@Borussia,

I can assure you by argument goes far deeper than merely using the Dublin Football Team as the main crux of it. A quick scan through my initial post will back that up.

Simply basing it around underage participation would be madness, underage participation in football especially in the likes of Wicklow, Leitrim, Sligo etc would be huge (per head of population) but what has that yielded? I'm not talking about yielding All Ireland titles or countless provincial underage titles year in year out either. It's about putting the correct structures in place, increasing funding and not allowing counties to just settle for mediocrity. 

So, if participation levels are high then what problem would the extra money given actually solve? 
Is there a documented lack of Games Development Officers in those counties? 
I'm a bit removed from GAA in Dublin these past number of years but I do know that many clubs in Dublin fundraise to pay for Games Development officers: Is the issue that rural clubs would struggle to do this and there is a shortage? Honest question here, I don't know how things are on the ground in the likes of Leitrim or Wicklow.

I have been involved a lot in GAA in London for quite a while and I know extra funding for more coaches would help a lot though on their own they wouldn't be enough to drive up sustained participation levels and standards. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Such as? Not a loaded question - As I've said a few times already, this is a complex issue which probably needs complex solutions. 
Im not sure I’m in favour of splitting them but it definitely must be considered.
Capping the dubs spending must be considered but that will only be limiting them to a certain extent.
Dublin have something like 50 GDOS this is paid half by the club and matched then by the gaa.
But when you see clubs like kilmacud with Membership fees of €960,000 and Cula paying manager in excess of 50k being backed by amegen I don’t know is limiting there funding really going to help.

They are a machine look at this year no Mcaffery, Connnoly or Brogan all former footballers of the year any other county they would still be involved and they win an All Ireland at their ease.
An losing two under 20 finals in a row so you feel they are going to be at the top table for a long time.

They will piss Leinster so will always be top seed in the super 8s 
Leaving them in Croke park for just their home game might help but at this stage I don’t think it makes a difference.

The teams behind will have to catch up but realistically Kerry might catch them on a good day.
The rest are too far behind at the moment and will take years to catch up.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 9:28pm

@Borussia,

So, if participation levels are high then what problem would the extra money given actually solve? 
Is there a documented lack of Games Development Officers in those counties? 
I'm a bit removed from GAA in Dublin these past number of years but I do know that many clubs in Dublin fundraise to pay for Games Development officers: Is the issue that rural clubs would struggle to do this and there is a shortage? Honest question here, I don't know how things are on the ground in the likes of Leitrim or Wicklow.

I have been involved a lot in GAA in London for quite a while and I know extra funding for more coaches would help a lot though on their own they wouldn't be enough to drive up sustained participation levels and standards. 

There is absolutely zero direction in a lot of counties and I would direct that at grassroots in particular, a big problem is the lack of GDO's and Coach Education. These counties would be lucky to have 2 or 3 GDO's (open to correction) 

You could have 1 or 2 GPO'S going into one school for a few hours every few months or a GDO taking one trip to a local GAA club once a year, that's not their fault because they're ridiculously stretched but you would ask yourself, what benefit of it is it to anyone?

The GAA match a GDO's wage by 50%, so if we say the average wage is circa 30k per year. If Sligo were given an extra €100,000 or €200,000 per year you could be easily talking about another 4 or 5 GDO's being employed from part of the money that was made available, over 5 - 10 years it would have a huge impact at all levels. 

Will an extra €100,000/€200,000 per year turn Sligo into a powerhouse of Hurling, absolutely not but would it make a difference in terms of getting coaches educated, increasing participation in the sport etc? Absolutely no question. 

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 10:28pm
I'd also be in favour of the weakest counties getting the most funding. Dublin, kerry, mayo, Tyrone should be bottom of the list. If any county needed saving back when Dublin got the special treatment it was Antrim and Derry. Antrim in particular with the islands second biggest city. An absolute disgrace Dublin received about 20 times more when their population is only about half of Dublin's. Pure bias in favour of Dublin. Remember back then Antrim would give Dublin a competitive game in hurling? No chance of that these days.

Could you imagine fifa had a meeting and concluded Man Utd needed saving so gave them 20 times the funding of every other team and home advantage in every big match. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:03pm
There are two different areas to look at here and they are regularly confused where they should not be

i) funding which is aimed at participation
ii) money for inter-county teams

The loose principle is that funding aimed at participation should be given out on a per capita basis per county based on population - if there are areas of special need you can direct disproportionate funding to those areas - Dublin will and should get more of this funding than any other county because it has the biggest population

And the other loose principle is that money set aside for inter-county teams should be as equal as possible in absolute numbers, ie. principles of natural justice demand that Dublin should not have an excess of money available for preparation than Leitrim

Then you run into the pesky practicalities of how to achieve these loose principles

What really does not help the debate about funding to Dublin are Ewanisms

Shedite went straight for Ewanisms by claiming that Dublin players effectively don't work, which is total bollocks

The standard of debate on this issue in general is execrable

Edited by sid waddell - 21 Dec 2020 at 11:05pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:06pm
I think the GAA could easily grade funding into 4 categories and base it over 5 years, put an emphasis on how their senior intercounty teams are performing in both codes as it's the easiest barometer to measure success or lack of. You would then also in a number of other factors like participation numbers, the desire of said county to promote either Hurling or Football in a traditional one code County, Coach Education Resources, GDO's per head of population etc

The matter of extra funding being allocated to the weakest counties isn't to help Carlow to bridge the gap between themselves and Kerry and Dublin so that they'll someday be challenging to win the All Ireland. 

It's to actually give every youngster in the county a chance at being the best version of themselves, from the club footballer to the intercounty player no matter what the level because currently most counties are being cheated by the lack of resources being made available to improve the structures that are currently in place.

Again, without sounding like a broken record the small counties who are bravely trying to juggle both codes and are doing trojan work to be competitive need to be protected and championed by being helped further and rewarded. 

With that you simply cannot compare Laois, Westmeath, Carlow with Dublin, Cork and Galway it's not like for like. 

There are so many White Elephants with huge potential in the GAA in Hurling and Gaelic, it's sad that instead of them getting the help that's needed, they've been cut adrift and left to rot for decades with no questions asked.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:08pm
I don't think that's what a white elephant means. 
AKA pedantic kunt
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:09pm
yisser getting away from the real facts here, culchies are bad losers, whinged moaney babies, ahhh bless. f**k Mayo , up the dubs, LOL
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

yisser getting away from the real facts here, culchies are bad losers, whinged moaney babies, ahhh bless. f**k Mayo , up the dubsLOL

It's honesty anyway, if nothing else
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 56>
  Share Topic