Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 12 Oct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 52>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:42pm
Is it any wonder the majority of our attacking players look bad or under perform in an Ireland shirt?

1. Very rare do our centre midfielders make bursts from midfield to join the attack
2. Our wingers are often if not always isolated or made chase long aimless balls into the channels 
3. The gap between midfield and attack is often huge (today prime example)
4. We play with a traditional target man, who nearly always has to drop deep to look for the ball as they're isolated and forced to live off scraps.

We take no risks, with the objective of going out not to lose so how the hell can we expect to win games? 

Sponsored Links

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

We have too many scapegoats as well. We would want to give it a rest. 

Only lads today that can lift their heads a bit are Duffy, Egan and Connolly. The rest can get f**ked. 

Doherty's name is always mentioned, as is Hendrick's. 

They were no better or worse that the majority.

Except that Hendrick is a serial-offender 

Bar the CB’s who the f**k isn’t? 

Coleman gets a by ball by most despite playing poor in so many games for us. 

I’m in agreeance! My point was directed at the guy who said Hendrick wasn’t worse than everyone else today;a point I disagree with it - he was one of the very worst. 

There were lots of guys worse than Hendrick. Hendrick played poorly but at least he tried to play, lots of our guys didn't try to play at all. People say Hendrick hides too much, he didn't hide today he just gave the ball away a lot.

I disagree. I thought he pulled out of a few tackles; gave the ball away; and at times looked half-hearted. He was rotten overall. 

I don’t take any joy in slating any Irish player, not whatsoever, but this guy has stolen most of his 50-odd caps. 

… More interested in his hair and tattoos not fit to lace the boots of some of the greats who have played midfield for Ireland. Is he sponsored by Brylcreem?

Ah yes, the old "that guy has funny hair so he's obviously a pansy" chestnut. Very scientific.

Agree - that’s nonsense, but the critiques of his criticism are pretty on-point.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:56pm

Only lads today that can lift their heads a bit are Duffy, Egan and Connolly. The rest can get f**ked. 

I’m in agreeance! My point was directed at the guy who said Hendrick wasn’t worse than everyone else today;a point I disagree with it - he was one of the very worst. 

McClean was the worst by a distance.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think where previously you could argue that we don't have better players than whelan, mcclean, hendrick so we should stick with them. I don't think this is true anymore.

1. Other players cant do much worse 
2. Molumby, Cullen, Connelly are playing consistently now.

Additionally- is it me or are hourihane and Hendrick too similar in positional sense to be in the same team? 
I think its nice to have a lefty in there and I dont think its a problem IF YOU ROTATE THEM so Georgia cant match 3's literally all night. I honestly think Hourihane and Hendrick get stick when the problem is and always has been Whelan. When McCarthy plays deep our midfield is able to sort itself out because he tend to like taking the ball from the back, its an automatic thing for him. WHelan literally refuses to do his role. You could argue that that should be part of the rotation too but like we play dinoball. so many obvious things, small details would make a huge improvement. Like what do big strong defenders hate playing against? is it big strong dinoballers and small fast tricky players who will run at them, Georgians were made confortable today by that nonsense of not planning to have the ball it seems.
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 10:04pm
lot of good posts there... i think its clear that Mick just doesnt have the know how or creativity to get the best out of the players we have available 
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 10:08pm
He must be after falling out with Shane Long would be far better than Collins
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

lot of good posts there... i think its clear that Mick just doesnt have the know how or creativity to get the best out of the players we have available 

It’s all conservative bullsh*t; not willing to take any risks; settling for ‘what we have’, instead of taking a couple of calculated ‘risks’ and trying to get a more positive outcome. Our current boss and the last two apes would draw their ways to win a tournament if they could. 
greenscene View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 10:17pm

26 times he lost possession today. That's f**king unforgivable. 26 times attacks broke down soley because of McClean. He offers nothing, is utterly predictable and is just nowhere near international standard. He is still dining out on his Welsh and Austria goals, and frankly his performances over the past year should have him lucky to be a squad player, let alone be the undropable starter that he has become. 
Mick made a big thing of Dohertys performance Against Gibraltar, saying it didn't work with him on the right wing. 
Why does it not hit home that having McClean starting isn't working. Many of those 26 lost possessions were right in front of Mick. Why can't he see this guys failings? 
Passion and determination should not determine your starting place 
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

26 times he lost possession today. That's f**king unforgivable. 26 times attacks broke down soley because of McClean. He offers nothing, is utterly predictable and is just nowhere near international standard. He is still dining out on his Welsh and Austria goals, and frankly his performances over the past year should have him lucky to be a squad player, let alone be the undropable starter that he has become. 
Mick made a big thing of Dohertys performance Against Gibraltar, saying it didn't work with him on the right wing. 
Why does it not hit home that having McClean starting isn't working. Many of those 26 lost possessions were right in front of Mick. Why can't he see this guys failings? 

Great post. McClean’s ship has sailed I’m afraid. 
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

Losing the ball 26 times in a match! Ffs, thats brutal, you wouldn't accept that in a park match on a council pitch, never mind a senior international. Angry
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 1:20am
McClean - spoofer
Hendrick - spoofer 

Still cannot get over that performance, the subs were an absolutely disgrace. Can’t see us getting anything from the next two games but I hope I am wrong. Would love to see us go for it on Tuesday but can’t see it, think we will be set up to hold tight for 80 mins and try to snatch and grab. 

Also ifs and buts, but if Egan’s header had of went in it would have been a massively different game. Him and Duffy the only two who can hold their heads up high after the match. 

Edited by Gabrieléire - 13 Oct 2019 at 1:22am
Farrelk View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

McClean - spoofer
Hendrick - spoofer 

Still cannot get over that performance, the subs were an absolutely disgrace. Can’t see us getting anything from the next two games but I hope I am wrong. Would love to see us go for it on Tuesday but can’t see it, think we will be set up to hold tight for 80 mins and try to snatch and grab. 

Also ifs and buts, but if Egan’s header had of went in it would have been a massively different game. Him and Duffy the only two who can hold their heads up high after the match. 

I agree - our starting line up and subs need quickly if we are to get out of the group. Would love to see Connolly or even Maguire start Tuesday
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 1:37am
some amount of moaners and doom merchants on here. This is nothing new. If you look back to previous threads after games against Georgia you’ll see the same. We never dominate lesser teams however we could still get a positive result against the Swiss. We can raise our game when the odds are against us. That’s our psyche. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 7:51am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

some amount of moaners and doom merchants on here. This is nothing new. If you look back to previous threads after games against Georgia you’ll see the same. We never dominate lesser teams however we could still get a positive result against the Swiss. We can raise our game when the odds are against us. That’s our psyche. 

That's our Psyche. Yeah, and...that's...not...good enough. 

This idea of "sure isn't that the way we've always done it" is at the root of our failings. Kenny won't be bringing free flowing football in his regime, more importantly he'll be dispelling this myth of the Irish player mindset. Good, bad or indifferent, Kenny's regime will send Irish football in a different direction, and the "it's in our DNA" line will be in the dustbin of history, rightly never to be used for an argument again.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:41am

Great post. McClean’s ship has sailed I’m afraid. 

Every time he gets stick, I think back to the standing ovation he got when he came on as a sub on his debut, I think Robbie Keane got less adulation after his final appearance....

The performance was as expected. Dull, boring, aimless hoofball, no ambition to get any more than a point. Just as in Copenhagen and last month. McCarthy went to Georgia looking for a point, and just as in Copenhagen and Lansdowne last month, he was overjoyed to get it. Those points were widely hailed as great results. This one less so.

Nothing has changed since the last man in charge, just a bit more luck going our way. So much so that a win in Geneva will put us through, and he will be hailed as the messiah. I doubt he understands that though. He wants a point there, and no more. It is pre-programmed already. 

....as for McClean, he's lucky he isn't booed off these days. But he doesn't have to wait too long for a boo or two at this time of year, as his annual one man stand against poppies on English football shirts resumes soon. 
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:21am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

....as for McClean, he's lucky he isn't booed off these days. But he doesn't have to wait too long for a boo or two at this time of year, as his annual one man stand against poppies on English football shirts resumes soon. 

To be honest, I think that all the poppy nonsense from McClean makes some Irish fans give him an allowance on the pitch for us. 

“Yes, he mightn’t be great, but he would die for his country”
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

To be honest, I think that all the poppy nonsense from McClean makes some Irish fans give him an allowance on the pitch for us. 

“Yes, he mightn’t be great, but he would die for his country”

There's no thinking about it. His patriotism and dedication to the cause is pretty much the only thing that has kept the entire Irish fan base at bay.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:15am
We recognize that McClean is a limited footballer, it's his work ethic that is admirable. It was his never say die attitude and got the ball back and provided the assist for McGoldrick to get a point against the Swiss.

He covers most of the pitch and is defensively better that what we have on the bench too.
Apart from that, he hasn't been great at all. Whose there to replace him? O'Dowda doesn't play for his club and Judge is on the bench a lot at L1.

McClean will play against the Swiss - no doubt about it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 52>
  Share Topic