You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jason Knight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 59>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

What's the downside of moving to Bristol City John?

Certainly better than another season in League One.

But when Knight was 18-20, it looked like he had PL potential. It looked like he would follow the Jeff Hendrick path.

Derby's financial problems and his versatility/selflessness have gone against him.

I get it, football careers aren't linear unfortunately. I'd still back him at his age. Bristol are a good club who seem to play decent football if that rumour has legs. Hopefully they pin down a position for him rather than being the versatile workhorse he is at derby. Central midfield is his best role for me.
Sponsored Links

Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

But when Knight was 18-20, it looked like he had PL potential. It looked like he would follow the Jeff Hendrick path.

Derby's financial problems and his versatility/selflessness have gone against him.

I get it, football careers aren't linear unfortunately. I'd still back him at his age. Bristol are a good club who seem to play decent football if that rumour has legs. Hopefully they pin down a position for him rather than being the versatile workhorse he is at derby. Central midfield is his best role for me.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Maybe Bristol could be an outside bet for a play-off spot like Luton and Coventry. They were 10 points off 6th last season.

They've lost Jay DaSilva on a free, but have already signed 3 defenders.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 3:04pm

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Derby Telegraph reporting interest from Bristol City in Jason. While that would be a little underwhelming, it's better than him staying at Derby.

I wonder if that's to replace Alex Scott who is very highly rated.

Knight is starting to remind me of Owen Garvan. 

He never quite made it to The PL, despite becoming a Championship regular from the age of 17. 

As a player, they're completely different. Garvan never made it at the top level due to a lack of athleticism, which clearly isn't an issue for Knight. There's also the small matter of Knight being 22, so suggesting he's on track to "never quite make it" is bananas, excuse the pun.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 3:07pm

Probably none tbh, just not quite as big/glamorous a club as others in the Championship and not really a team you'd pick out as set for the PL.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

This is crucial imo and should form part of the discussions before he signs for anyone. Jason is a box to box 8, he needs to concentrate on improving the offensive side of his game and deliver goals and assists from that central midfield position. He has the engine and a nice turn of foot, but his timing and final ball have to improve. He cant allow himself to be shunted around, fighting fires all over the pitch any more. He needs to mature into his position now. He still has a shot at the PL in the future given his age/experience, but he definitely needs to stick on a position.

Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Derby Telegraph reporting interest from Bristol City in Jason. While that would be a little underwhelming, it's better than him staying at Derby.

I wonder if that's to replace Alex Scott who is very highly rated.

Knight is starting to remind me of Owen Garvan. 

He never quite made it to The PL, despite becoming a Championship regular from the age of 17. 

As a player, they're completely different. Garvan never made it at the top level due to a lack of athleticism, which clearly isn't an issue for Knight. There's also the small matter of Knight being 22, so suggesting he's on track to "never quite make it" is bananas, excuse the pun.

I never said that Knight won't make it. I said that he reminds me of Garvan due to both of them playing very well at Championship level as teenagers.

Knight is at a crossroads now. He's played a lot of football already in his short career. The next season or two will define his trajectory. He needs to get this move right.

While Knight might be more athletic, Garvan had 56 goal contributions from 255 Championship games. Knight has 21 goal contributions from 166 games for Derby. One of those includes a season in League One where you would expect his numbers to increase.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Re Garvan, he did play a few games in the PL for Crystal Palace but that was as good as it got. Bristol City may not be a bad move for Knight, Mark Sykes has done very well for them since he went there. Interesting to see where he ends up.
Palace signed him that summer, but didn't realise they had more than 25 senior players on their books, and when it came to submit their squad to the Premier League, he missed out, even though he had already played a few times for them that season
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 4:18pm
He'd be a nailed on centre midfielder there. They are light in that position and have good options at RB/RM, so he shouldn't get shifted out there really.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 5:56pm
Bristol City linked to Jack Taylor as well. I presume it would be one or the other rather than both Irish lads, unless they want an especially athletic central midfield.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Bristol City linked to Jack Taylor as well. I presume it would be one or the other rather than both Irish lads, unless they want an especially athletic central midfield.
Could well be both. Unless I'm forgetting somebody, they only have 3 recognised midfielders. 1 of those is Andy King who is well over the hill and there for coaching and another is Matty James, who doesn't have a good injury record either. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 9:17am
He was very good in the RWB role last night. A great engine. He was carrying the ball large distances.

Much better than some of Doherty's recent games.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 5:58pm
The lad is not a central midfielder, in any mans language.

Did really well at right-back. He could make it his own for the next ten years.

l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

The lad is not a central midfielder, in any mans language.

Did really well at right-back. He could make it his own for the next ten years.

The sample size is too small to make that call. 

He's played the position less than a dozen times. 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 7:08pm
He has played there regularly this season for his club.

He isn't good enough to play central midfield at this level, I'm just making the point that he could commit to the full back position and make a better career for himself.

Edited by BabbsBalls - 20 Jun 2023 at 7:09pm
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 7:10pm
It was Gibraltar lads
It would damage this forums' reputation
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 7:29pm

He isn't good enough to play central midfield at this level, I'm just making the point that he could commit to the full back position and make a better career for himself.

He's played at RB less than 12 times for club and country, so not regularly.

8 games out of 47 were at RB for Derby this season. 4 at RWB/RM.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 7:48pm

Strange that he was "good enough" to break through there for a Championship club at 18 and quickly be made captain, but now after 100+ appearances there and plenty of praise he's not? Some of the conclusions drawn on here are truly off the wall.
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 5:47am

As an attacking midfielder, he's good enough. But he's not going to control the game from that position, but neither do any of our other midfielders.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 59>
  Share Topic