Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jason Knight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 59>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

He dropped Wes after Wes magic against Austria away, could never understand that, I genuinley think we would of qualified for that world cup had he stuck with Wes for second half of campaign instead he used him off the bench.

The Austria game should have been the springboard, but we went flat after that. When Austria came to Dublin there were two defensive mids, and a 'false number nine', in Hendrick, who played deep anyway, and left Walters isolated. It was only when Ward was hooked for Murphy any sort of link up happened, and we dominated the last twenty. To me it seemed like MON decided the initial strategy had worked andstuck with it, which didn't include Wes from the beginning.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 12:23am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Playing Premiership isnt be all and end all, look at Wales and Scotland plenty of Championship players and doing just fine with them in team, lads on here think if your not playing Prem its game over for national side but couldnt be further from the truth.

I would actually argue our young attackers in particular Connolly Obafemi the chief two are far better off playing Championship football regularly for a few years on loan as opposed to playing sparingly for Brighton/Southampton 15 minutes every 2nd week and not getting a chance to build momentum. 

Connolly is good enough for PL. He would be in the Brighton team most weeks if he start putting away the chances hes getting. And he is getting enough chances in front of goal. And Potter has also given him a decent chance i think also. 

Has the ability to play in the PL but he’s snatching at chances not playing regularly also. It would be no harm dropping a division this year to play regularly which he would do for most if not all Championship teams find his way score a few goals again get his eye in confidence back. 

Duff and Long dropped to the Championship in their early 20s with Blackburn and Reading after initial promising spells in the PL as teenagers and they both benefited in the long run did them no harm. It’s more competitive for young attackers in the PL nowadays trying to break through then it was 20 years ago and 10 years ago when those lads were playing. 
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 1:23am

Playing Premiership isnt be all and end all, look at Wales and Scotland plenty of Championship players and doing just fine with them in team, lads on here think if your not playing Prem its game over for national side but couldnt be further from the truth.

Its the fact Scotland can add Robertson / Tierny / McGinn / McTominay / Gilmour to those journeymen has them doing just fine. We've nothing of that club calibre in the middle of the field. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 11:23am
More talk around JK going to Burnley the price depends what league Derby are in next season .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Its the fact Scotland can add Robertson / Tierny / McGinn / McTominay / Gilmour to those journeymen has them doing just fine. We've nothing of that club calibre in the middle of the field. 

Yes totally agree. There is quality players at the top end of that Scotland squad, playing regulary at Premiership or SPL level. We aren't at that level with the lads in our squad.

There is merit in some players getting loan spells or permanent moves to Championship sides though. We have a few young strikers breaking through and its hard to see them getting regular games / goals in the Premier League. Connolly, Idah and Parrott would all be better off at Championship level next season
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Yes totally agree. There is quality players at the top end of that Scotland squad, playing regulary at Premiership or SPL level. We aren't at that level with the lads in our squad.

There is merit in some players getting loan spells or permanent moves to Championship sides though. We have a few young strikers breaking through and its hard to see them getting regular games / goals in the Premier League. Connolly, Idah and Parrott would all be better off at Championship level next season

Connolly Obafemi would be better off in the Championship. Parrott would be better off going back to League 1 for another year find his way a bit more boy in a mans sport still. 

Idah the same as the first two but Farke has stated he sees him as a wide option too you may see him get more gametime as a result. That would be no bad thing and would bring his game on even more. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 2:21pm
Honestly, id prefer championship teams to buy the players outright, and let them grow. There is always the hazard that loan players are useful additions to pad out the squad, or if they don't hit the ground running as expected the deal goes sour. Last year a lot of Irish players took loan deals, and for the most part they were actually disasters that have undoubtedly impacted the desirability and value of the player. Its alright getting minutes here and there
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 2:22pm
I think it’s important for young players to learn how to play on the front foot. Too many of ours end up sitting deep and suppressing their creative capabilities so that they can learn to break up play/run the channels. I get that some teams combine hard work and creativity (Liverpool style) but Burnley isn’t one of them. 

I don’t hate the idea of playing at Burnley but experience within a team that is challenging for the Championship and promotion would perhaps be more valuable from our perspective where we need players who are comfortable with the ball. We’ve never lacked players who are comfortable without it
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 3:44pm
"I think it’s important for young players to learn how to play on the front foot."

Great post! I hadn't been thinking this but when I read it I thought that yes this is bang on the money.
I suppose Connolly for all his lack of discipline and breaking covid curfews, maybe that's part of a personality type that will insist on being an attacking player and not just a hard working squad player.
As for Knight I'd see Dyche wanting him to be a box to box player, and if so I think he's at a great club with a manager who knows what he wants from his players.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

"I think it’s important for young players to learn how to play on the front foot."

Great post! I hadn't been thinking this but when I read it I thought that yes this is bang on the money.
I suppose Connolly for all his lack of discipline and breaking covid curfews, maybe that's part of a personality type that will insist on being an attacking player and not just a hard working squad player.
As for Knight I'd see Dyche wanting him to be a box to box player, and if so I think he's at a great club with a manager who knows what he wants from his players.

One of the lads i work with is a local ref anyway cut to the chase , he was reffing a game in Galway when Connolly was playing he was around  11 
. So Connolly fouled a lad the ref came over and said " you can't do that " Arron just looked at him and said Feck Off and walked away . The ref just laughed and let play carry on . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

One of the lads i work with is a local ref anyway cut to the chase , he was reffing a game in Galway when Connolly was playing he was around  11 
. So Connolly fouled a lad the ref came over and said " you can't do that " Arron just looked at him and said Feck Off and walked away . The ref just laughed and let play carry on . 
Wouldn’t send him to the electric chair for telling a ref to f*** off, but he’ll have to show a bit more next season.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 6:44am
I'd imagine most players have told a ref to f*ck off at some stage.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 11:14am
Knight has played a lot of games at club level now, he's played in a variety of different formations and in a range of different positions including the right wing, central midfield, left hand side of a front 3.

Any idea of his best position yet? Where he's most effective. I always find that players labelled utility players tend to be options from the bench rather than locking down a first team role.

IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 12:02pm
Ahh here so we’ve moved on from criticizing Odubeko’s attitude as a 10 year old child to Connolly as an 11 year old LOL

Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 5:16am
I wouldn't say anyone was being critical of Connolly as an 11 yr old, as in being moralizing.
Just an anecdote by Murph that shows Connolly's character, maybe in a way that bodes well for his attitude as an attacking player.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Knight has played a lot of games at club level now, he's played in a variety of different formations and in a range of different positions including the right wing, central midfield, left hand side of a front 3.

Any idea of his best position yet? Where he's most effective. I always find that players labelled utility players tend to be options from the bench rather than locking down a first team role.

He looks like a number 8 but most like can play any position in a midfield 3. I would like to see him move to a team that plays on the front foot though. If he goes to burnley he will be turned into a new jeff Hendrick. Playing off the right etc Brighton would actually really suit him
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 5:48pm
Looks like an ankle injury is going to rule him out for the September internationals and possibly longer. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Looks like an ankle injury is going to rule him out for the September internationals and possibly longer. 

FFS our lads must have a curse on them. 
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 59>
  Share Topic