You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jason Knight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 59>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:41pm
He was outstanding during the first half of the season. Played too much football for his age due to Derby's situation, ran out of steam in the last two months - which coincided with Derby's slump. Teams will have noted his potential, it's just a question of how able Derby are to resist offers. Might not necessarily be just EPL teams interested. Higher end Championship teams might also be able to afford him depending on Derby's financial situation.
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:39pm
What does a transfer ban mean?
No purchases at all or can they spend whatever cash they take in?
I ask as if they are banned from all purchases, then no way they will sell Knight unless it's an offer they can't refuse.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 1:59pm
Linked to Brighton today. A player plus cash deal involving Molumby going the other way would make sense in some respects, but more likely Derby just need the cash so won't be in a position to look at a swap. Molumby will definitely need to move on though regardless you would think, given that Brighton seem to have identified central midfield as being an area that they need to strengthen.

Brighton also linked to an Argentinian forward, which has obvious implications for Connolly.

Edited by You Tell Me - 31 May 2021 at 2:01pm
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:34pm
Talk on UTC forum that Burnley are about to put in a bid for Jason. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Talk on UTC forum that Burnley are about to put in a bid for Jason. 

How novel would it be if it was a team like Norwich, Brentford, Watford or Leeds putting a bid in?

Always going to be either Burnley or Sheffield United putting a bid in for our best players, and one of those teams is down now.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:46pm
Similarly to Collins I'd be delighted to see Knight moving to Burnley. People knock Burnley but they sign Irish players and give them a game in the Premier League when others at that level don't give our lads a second look. If Burnley could get Collins and Knight for £20m combined, and they most likely could given Collins has gone for £12m plus add-ons, that would be a very good bit of business for them - two 20 year olds with massive sell on potential.

I wonder if they'd maybe take a look at Aaron Connolly...

Regardless of whether there's anything in this rumour or not Knight probably needs to move on from Derby now anyway. They're looking at a points deduction for next season and will be odds on to get relegated. They also won't have much in the way of funds to strengthen the squad unless there's a takeover, which looks unlikely given their current situation. This actually probably bodes well for the likes of Louis Watson and Festy Ebosele in terms of getting first team experience, but a more established player like Knight would be better moving on from there if possible.

Edited by You Tell Me - 24 Jun 2021 at 8:53pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:58pm
At one point in time we had players playing for the best teams in England. Then we transitioned to having a sprinkling of players at teams on the periphery of the top 6, like Coleman, Duffy, Gibson, McCarthy and McGeady at Everton. Then we transitioned to having players almost exclusively playing for teams in the bottom half of the table. I fear we're approaching yet another transition where all of our PL players will be based at 2 or 3 clubs for all intents and purposes.

More and more continental European players and managers coming to England and, for whatever reason, they don't tend to use the transfer market to go in for Irish players.

It's great that lads like Sean Dyche and Chris Wilder don't turn their nose up at Irish players but the problems start when a team like Sheffield United goes down. It's getting to the point where if teams like Burnley and Sheffield United went down together, it would be catastrophic from an Irish perspective.

At the same time, it's crazy how many high profile players we have who are either 30 or younger, at what should be their peak, who are at their lowest ebb in terms of attractiveness to PL standard teams.

It's hard to see where McCarthy, Brady, Hourihane and Duffy go from here, but I'm genuinely curious.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:11pm
Playing Premiership isnt be all and end all, look at Wales and Scotland plenty of Championship players and doing just fine with them in team, lads on here think if your not playing Prem its game over for national side but couldnt be further from the truth.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

At one point in time we had players playing for the best teams in England. Then we transitioned to having a sprinkling of players at teams on the periphery of the top 6, like Coleman, Duffy, Gibson, McCarthy and McGeady at Everton. Then we transitioned to having players almost exclusively playing for teams in the bottom half of the table. I fear we're approaching yet another transition where all of our PL players will be based at 2 or 3 clubs for all intents and purposes.

More and more continental European players and managers coming to England and, for whatever reason, they don't tend to use the transfer market to go in for Irish players.

It's great that lads like Sean Dyche and Chris Wilder don't turn their nose up at Irish players but the problems start when a team like Sheffield United goes down. It's getting to the point where if teams like Burnley and Sheffield United went down together, it would be catastrophic from an Irish perspective.

At the same time, it's crazy how many high profile players we have who are either 30 or younger, at what should be their peak, who are at their lowest ebb in terms of attractiveness to PL standard teams.

It's hard to see where McCarthy, Brady, Hourihane and Duffy go from here, but I'm genuinely curious.

Yes it’s a major pity alright managers like Dyche Wilder only sign/play Irish players. Bar average continental managers like Mourinho Klopp Hassenhuttl Farke Bilic Kompany etc no one is buying/using Irish players.  

Also City paying big money for Bazunu and he a 16 year old kid from what I see there was no major British influence in that signing. 

Joking aside I see your point but I wouldn’t overthink it too much. If we are producing quality managers will look to sign them/play them have no fear. Doherty being Irish didn’t stop Mourinho signing Doherty and look at the level of quality in right back positions in England alone there’s more depth in English football in that position then possibly any other. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Yes it’s a major pity alright managers like Dyche Wilder only sign/play Irish players. Bar average continental managers like Mourinho Klopp Hassenhuttl Farke Bilic Kompany etc no one is buying/using Irish players.  

Also City paying big money for Bazunu and he a 16 year old kid from what I see there was no major British influence in that signing. 

Joking aside I see your point but I wouldn’t overthink it too much. If we are producing quality managers will look to sign them/play them have no fear. Doherty being Irish didn’t stop Mourinho signing Doherty and look at the level of quality in right back positions in England alone there’s more depth in English football in that position then possibly any other. 

I see what you mean but all of them bar Mourinho and Kompany inherited their Irish players, and the Belgian league is probably a rung below the Championship in terms of standard of player.

There was a lot of behind the scenes machinations behind the Doherty signing as a lot of the key players shared the same agent Jorge Mendes.

I'm not even sure Doherty completed three successive games at any point without being dropped or rotated so I'm not even sure Mourinho had anything to do with it.

It seemed like another Robbie Keane to Liverpool kind of deal where the manager wasn't enamored with having to play him.

Also, Gavin Bazunu was effectively signed for Man City's youth setup which is like a cattle market. They've signed players significantly older than him (Jack Harrison) with the aim of preventing other teams from signing them, before loaning them out and selling them at a profit.

Remember Garry Cook's comments about Richard Dunne? "His name doesn't roll off the tongue in China". Take into account that Dunne had won several PotY awards at City in the years beforehand.

Now this isn't to say that Dunne was necessarily good enough to play for a team with Champions League aspirations, but he did seem to use those comments as motivation to play for an overachieving Aston Villa side that came within whiskers of qualifying for the CL.

I just can't help but feel that it shows Irish players are already operating behind the eight ball because, well, they're Irish. And are seen as unglamorous/hoofball merchants/insert stereotype.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 24 Jun 2021 at 9:41pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Playing Premiership isnt be all and end all, look at Wales and Scotland plenty of Championship players and doing just fine with them in team, lads on here think if your not playing Prem its game over for national side but couldnt be further from the truth.

I would actually argue our young attackers in particular Connolly Obafemi the chief two are far better off playing Championship football regularly for a few years on loan as opposed to playing sparingly for Brighton/Southampton 15 minutes every 2nd week and not getting a chance to build momentum. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:46pm

I see what you mean but all of them bar Mourinho and Kompany inherited their Irish players, and the Belgian league is probably a rung below the Championship in terms of standard of player.

There was a lot of behind the scenes machinations behind the Doherty signing as a lot of the key players shared the same agent Jorge Mendes.

I'm not even sure Doherty completed three successive games at any point without being dropped or rotated so I'm not even sure Mourinho had anything to do with it.

It seemed like another Robbie Keane to Liverpool kind of deal where the manager wasn't enamored with having to play him.

Bilić would have signed Robinson. I recall a continental manager signing Randolph for West Ham too I forget who it may have actually been Bilić. Liam Kelly to Feyenoord under Stan was another one. 

Doherty I do think Mourinho wanted him if you look at the way he was setting Aurier up towards the end of 19/20 to bomb forward. Now for sure key players were tied up to one agent but it did make sense just Doherty was so awful for him after a few months he had to start hooking him.

After that it’s not as if we have oceans of players. Coleman stayed at Everton McCarthy with Palace fair enough Hendrick Brady at Burnley and Palace. Duffy Brighton. 

The Sheffield Utd contingent were Championship players before they came up with Wilder. Hourihane likewise. 

Beyond that who have we had not a mad amount. Plenty Irish teens Zefi Heffernan Sotona Rose that have gone on trial/signed for continental based clubs too in recent weeks/years. 

That’s not to say the PL is fierce competitive and I do think Irish players limit themselves by not broadening their horizons a bit more. Brady is a player in particular that would benefit by playing in a continental League I think. 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:54pm

I would actually argue our young attackers in particular Connolly Obafemi the chief two are far better off playing Championship football regularly for a few years on loan as opposed to playing sparingly for Brighton/Southampton 15 minutes every 2nd week and not getting a chance to build momentum. 

Connolly is good enough for PL. He would be in the Brighton team most weeks if he start putting away the chances hes getting. And he is getting enough chances in front of goal. And Potter has also given him a decent chance i think also. 
I love beer gardens
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Similarly to Collins I'd be delighted to see Knight moving to Burnley. People knock Burnley but they sign Irish players and give them a game in the Premier League when others at that level don't give our lads a second look. If Burnley could get Collins and Knight for £20m combined, and they most likely could given Collins has gone for £12m plus add-ons, that would be a very good bit of business for them - two 20 year olds with massive sell on potential.

I wonder if they'd maybe take a look at Aaron Connolly...

Regardless of whether there's anything in this rumour or not Knight probably needs to move on from Derby now anyway. They're looking at a points deduction for next season and will be odds on to get relegated. They also won't have much in the way of funds to strengthen the squad unless there's a takeover, which looks unlikely given their current situation. This actually probably bodes well for the likes of Louis Watson and Festy Ebosele in terms of getting first team experience, but a more established player like Knight would be better moving on from there if possible.

Knight moving on would suit him I think playing with more experienced players also will bring him on he was playing in a very young team at Derby. Will also free up gametime for Watson that’s no harm. 

Burnley would suit Knight more then Hendrick actually Knights distance runner type workrate that coupled with his quality on the ball which I thought he more then showed in the last two Ireland games will catch plenty attention. Also Burnley don’t have a huge squad and ain’t littered with midfielders. He should break into their first 11 by 22/23 if not this season.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 10:23pm

The thing is though, its easier to carry Championship players, or allow them maximise their strengths if they are playing with some of the others that are around them. Take Morrell at Luton Town. A player who isn't hugely experienced in top level football. It makes it easier for him when the lad behind him played over 100 times for Liverpool, his partner plays for Juventus (who also played almost 400 times for Arsenal), and is flanked by lads from Real Madrid (who at one time was comparable to Ronaldo and Messi), and Manchester United. Ditto Scotland where the likes of Robertson, Tierney, McGregor, McTominay, and Gilmour (to a lesser extent) bring an air of confidence, top level experience, and quality to an otherwise average team.

Our problem is the lads that actually play PL (apart from Coleman and to a lesser extent Egan) aren't particularly high quality, and I also think lack in the leadership stakes. As a result, expecting the likes of Hogan or Curtis to be able to do a Morrell is a big ask. Also, when you look at some of the lads who broke out at Euro 2016 you'll see that their most recent transfer was that of Bosman. Or the fact that other lads lost form at a crucial point in their careers and perhaps went on a downward trajectory.

A team can absolutely excel with the Championship players. But there is only so far you'll go at international level with Championship players, if there are no world class players, or natural leaders to assist them.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The thing is though, its easier to carry Championship players, or allow them maximise their strengths if they are playing with some of the others that are around them. Take Morrell at Luton Town. A player who isn't hugely experienced in top level football. It makes it easier for him when the lad behind him played over 100 times for Liverpool, his partner plays for Juventus (who also played almost 400 times for Arsenal), and is flanked by lads from Real Madrid (who at one time was comparable to Ronaldo and Messi), and Manchester United. Ditto Scotland where the likes of Robertson, Tierney, McGregor, McTominay, and Gilmour (to a lesser extent) bring an air of confidence, top level experience, and quality to an otherwise average team.

Our problem is the lads that actually play PL (apart from Coleman and to a lesser extent Egan) aren't particularly high quality, and I also think lack in the leadership stakes. As a result, expecting the likes of Hogan or Curtis to be able to do a Morrell is a big ask. Also, when you look at some of the lads who broke out at Euro 2016 you'll see that their most recent transfer was that of Bosman. Or the fact that other lads lost form at a crucial point in their careers and perhaps went on a downward trajectory.

A team can absolutely excel with the Championship players. But there is only so far you'll go at international level with Championship players, if there are no world class players, or natural leaders to assist them.

Pretty much it and if you even look at our 2016 team the 3 star players we had as regards playing at a decent level/prospects of moving onto a top 6 club it would have been Coleman McCarthy and Brady. 

Coleman had his leg break and the other two are absolutely destroyed by injuries I often wonder if they hadn’t those injuries where would they be today. 

Having those sort of players does help. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 10:47pm

Pretty much it and if you even look at our 2016 team the 3 star players we had as regards playing at a decent level/prospects of moving onto a top 6 club it would have been Coleman McCarthy and Brady. 

Coleman had his leg break and the other two are absolutely destroyed by injuries I often wonder if they hadn’t those injuries where would they be today. 

Having those sort of players does help. 

Totally agree with you. If those players had been able kept up the form they were in in 2016, and not been injured I think we might have squeezed a place at WC 2018, and an extension of that would probably have been Rice travelling with us, and would now be bound to play with us. Equally, Jonathan Walters was a big loss around that time (although he was slightly older at the time. I also wish Brady had moved from Norwich in 2016 rather than having to wait, as I think he would have hit the ground running.

I think MON suffered from some bad luck in terms of injuries to key players, which in turn forced him to batten down the hatches to an extent (that doesnt explain the first half against Austria in Dublin), or approaching Georgia in Tbilisi in the way we did. And those injuries were career altering, at a time when their cache was good.

Its not quite the lost generation which happened in the aftermath of the Kerr era, but there was unfulfilled potential, which is unfortunately impacting us now.

Edited by Het-field - 24 Jun 2021 at 10:54pm
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 11:40pm
He dropped Wes after Wes magic against Austria away, could never understand that, I genuinley think we would of qualified for that world cup had he stuck with Wes for second half of campaign instead he used him off the bench.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 59>
  Share Topic