You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 56>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:46am
A lot of competition for places can only be a good thing. 
Sponsored Links

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:00am
Anyone on here tracking the Swiss squad for injuries, suspensions, lack of first team football etc.?
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Looking forward to people's heads falling off on here when Kenny also doesn't make silly decisions when manager. 

If including 1 young striker in a squad of 23 is "silly"; then we don't really have much chance, do we?

That's not silly. Including a player who has not played one minute of senior football is though with Parrott's talent you might make an exception. 

I think the whole Parrott arguement should boil down to Mick's opinion of Parrott and not Poch. 

Call him in, have a look. If through injuries Troy gets a break in Spurs team and does well, he would be getting a call up for October/November intern ational matches with prior (if limited) experience in the Irish set up. Also Mick can make a more informed decision on Troy if he does get game time at Spurs having already seen him in the flesh in next set up.

It's hard to see how the cons of calling him up even remotely outweigh the pros. 

As is a well worn debate, what exactly have the current forward line in the squad done to make them undroppable? 

I'd say compared to Parrott, they've played first team football.
I'd wouldn't be playing him against Switzerland. However, I would be keen to have him around the squad and if impresses then I'd give him some game time in the friendly.

Unless he's knocking in goals for Spurs, either would I. But substantial game time in Bulgaria friendly would give Mick greater clarity and confidence to put him into a future competitive game should things take off at spurs. 

Really, Josh Cullen, Nathan Collins, jack Byrne and Troy Parrott should be getting decent game time against Bulgaria. Otherwise, just scrap friendlies. Will be a total waste of blooding opportunity if only to give Shane Long  (and similar fringe players) another cap.
Would rather see these players line out against Armenia, the chances are these players will have little or no impact in this qualifying campaign and will end up being Stephen Kenny's players anyway so let's see how Parrot (who was an u17 International earlier this year) finds the step up to u21 level. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:17am

Looking forward to people's heads falling off on here when Kenny also doesn't make silly decisions when manager. 

Not silly, just not decisions posters don't agree with, like not calling up a player, or calling up someone they wouldn't have, or playing someone where they wouldn't.
You know, like every other manager in history.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

A lot of competition for places can only be a good thing. 

That sort of thinking is not permitted in Rep of Ireland.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:46pm
To be honest I don't really give a f**k what Mick does. He is here for one campaign and his job is to get us to the Euros. There is no point banging on about Crowley (even if there wasn't a paperwork issue which I'm skeptical on anyways) or Parrott or Egan displacing Keogh. Mick is a no nonsense tried and tested type of manager which is fine. Which is why I'm looking forward to Kenny coming in and actually taking a few risks and not fitting the stereotype for 'perfect' Irish manager.

There are lads in the squad that are no where near the level required and don't even have minutes playing for their clubs but yet could feature in a crunch home qualifier against a really solid Swiss side. It's just more of the same. I'll judge Mick at the end of this campaign and not before it. He won't change and he won't take a risk. 

As I said before we do need to beat 1 of the 2 top sides especially at home. 

However, you could probably put your mortgage on a boring nil all.

Edited by kearney304 - 19 Aug 2019 at 12:46pm
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

To be honest I don't really give a f**k what Mick does. He is here for one campaign and his job is to get us to the Euros. There is no point banging on about Crowley (even if there wasn't a paperwork issue which I'm skeptical on anyways) or Parrott or Egan displacing Keogh. Mick is a no nonsense tried and tested type of manager which is fine. Which is why I'm looking forward to Kenny coming in and actually taking a few risks and not fitting the stereotype for 'perfect' Irish manager.

There are lads in the squad that are no where near the level required and don't even have minutes playing for their clubs but yet could feature in a crunch home qualifier against a really solid Swiss side. It's just more of the same. I'll judge Mick at the end of this campaign and not before it. He won't change and he won't take a risk. 

As I said before we do need to beat 1 of the 2 top sides especially at home. 

However, you could probably put your mortgage on a boring nil all.

100% agree with this. Mick will be judged on qualifying for Euro 2020 solely. How can he be expected to take risks and give young players a chance when he's only here for 2 years. From his point of view hs job prospects will be enhanced if he gets Ireland to euro 2020 and does well. On the flip side they will be diminished if he doesn't qualify 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:28pm
...a couple of things .

they certainly wont sell many tickets if they dont play the young lads in friendlies , we all remember going to these games to see the new players. 

we must beat switzerland , if we do it we are almost there. 

i think stephen kenny is going to be a disaster as manager.  
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

...a couple of things .

they certainly wont sell many tickets if they dont play the young lads in friendlies , we all remember going to these games to see the new players. 

Is there any chance (given all the shoite going on in the ranks at the moment) that he could be shafted re his appointment? God knows what sort of contracts they drew up. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:34pm

...a couple of things .

The problem as I see it we have thrown massive money on "World class managers" when the squad has been utter tripe but the first sign of light at the end of the tunnel with regards the prospect of genuine talent coming through and we appoint a manager with no international experience with the exception of less than a full u21 qualification campaign. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:40pm

...a couple of things .

If Kenny gets 5 campaigns and manages to qualify for 1 he will have the same strike rate as Our Mick who for some farcical reason is lauded still by a lot of supporters.

Kenny will be working from a very low base and will have to rebuild an entire squad from scratch, so the demands on him should reflect that situation. Of course they won't, but they should.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:47pm
McCarthy’s rebuilding job in the mid 1990s was monumental. When you look at the aged player we were using to qualify for Euro 96 you realise what a job of work needed to be done, especially if a long term strategy was to be implemented, even taking into account the “Three Amigos”, Keane, Kenna and Kennedy. More needed to be done that just building them around Irwin, Staunton, Townsend and Quinn.

He got some excellent results in his time and the WC 2002 group was the toughest we had faced since the 1980s.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:07pm
Would agree about the toughness of the 02 group. Wouldn't agree about the monumental rebuild job. Just because a squad has gotten older and many need to be moved doesn't mean the rebuild was monumental. There were lots of quality younger Irish players around at that point.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:11pm
It was Babb, McAteer and Gary Kelly, who sprung to prominence just before the '94 World Cup, who were known as the 'Three Amigos', no?

The age profile of the squad was so high towards the end of Charlton's reign that Jeff Kenna won Young Player of the Year at the age of 25.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 19 Aug 2019 at 2:13pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:12pm
Not disputing anything about the age profile of Charltons squad.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

It was Babb, McAteer and Gary Kelly, who sprung to prominence just before the '94 World Cup, who were known as the 'Three Amigos', no?

The age profile of the squad was so high towards the end of Charlton's reign that Jeff Kenna won Young Player of the Year at the age of 25.
They were. What he meant was the ‘three amigos’ and Keane, Kenna and Kennedy.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:43pm
Go onto Sofascore and look up both squads and see the difference in values between us and the Swiss squad 

Scary how far were behind 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Would agree about the toughness of the 02 group. Wouldn't agree about the monumental rebuild job. Just because a squad has gotten older and many need to be moved doesn't mean the rebuild was monumental. There were lots of quality younger Irish players around at that point.

So basically Hans you don't like McCarthy and won't give him any credit for anything. Yah? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 56>
  Share Topic