Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57126
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 4:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19
Posted By: kearney304
Subject: Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:18pm
Hope it's not too early to start a thread on the game. Be interested to discuss what way we are going to line up and what we genuinely think is achievable from the game. 

Some lads are bankers to start while there have to be serious doubts over others.

Replies:
Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:26pm
          Randolph
 Coleman Egan Duffy Stevens
Maguire Hourihane McCarthy (?) Hendrick Robinson
               McGoldrick

Is what i would like to see. In reality, i imagine it'll be Keogh, Brady and McClean rather than Egan, Maguire, Robinson. McCarthy will need to get game time before we think of throwing him in, but assuming he does he's likely to start with Whelan not having a club. Arter may get a recall for this one and if he does, might be the most likely to start in the middle with the other two.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:28pm
Think we’ll see Egan start alongside Duffy rather than Keogh if he plays regularly in the Premier League. 

Arter’s not a great player but at least he’s back fit now which gives us another option in midfield. Ditto James McCarthy. 

Hopefully McClean and Brady are dropped. 

I don’t think Whelan will feature. 

I think we’ll get a 1-1 draw from this game so long as we don’t have a heap of injury withdrawals in the build up. 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:40pm
It'll be the same starting 11 that won the last 3 games - pending injury and club game time.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:41pm
I fink we will get a 0-0 or lose 0-1

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:54pm
Keogh is Mick's mini me on the pitch, just as Mick was Jack's. It will be difficult to dislodge him from the team.

Brady should be dropped. Hourihane's set piece expertise takes away any reason for him being in the team until his form improves significantly.

Posted By: royal rover
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:01pm
Robinson has a good chance and i expect he will start him on the right , i don't think Brady will play unless his fortunes change at Burnley ,  the big one for me is defensive midfield and what our options are , still no sign of whelan at a club so it's unlikely he will play any part , so maybe arthur will play or if macCarthy gets more game time at palace he might  have a shout , other than that the only position that's really up for debate is left wing the rest picks itself.

-------------
royal rover

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:09pm
I think Robinson will get the nod ahead of Brady who won't see much game time between now and then. He's gonna be a huge player for us this campaign and has to be an automatic starter. Mick will go with the tried and trusted of Keogh and McClean despite the latter's severe lack of footballing ability. The only spot up for grabs is defensive midfield and could be a toss up between Whelan, McCarthy & Arter.

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:22pm
Assuming James McCarthy has some game time under his belt (and given Whelan's free agent status) then he'll walk into the sitting midfielder position.

It will be same back 4 and goalkeeper. 

Hendrick and Hourihane Infront of McCarthy. Although Hendrick is skating on thin ice. 

Robinson McGoldrick ?????

Brady/McClean/O'Dowda not deserving of starting place, so maybe Mick with a curve ball. I dont think he'll give debut to Crowley or Byrne but could see him playing Curtis. 

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:59pm
Crowley or Byrne will most likely not be in the squad. Why do you think he will start them - not a hope in hell.

If they do happen to make the squad, whose places do they take?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It'll be the same starting 11 that won the last 3 games - pending injury and club game time.

Except the starting 11 hasn't been the same Confused

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Except the starting 11 hasn't been the same Confused

The core of the team will be the same, The Gibraltar line up was a very attacking line up and the players struggled badly,

Posters who are constantly pedaling the belief that Crowley and others are going to start are deluding themselves.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:10pm
HB has it in one.

The vast bulk of the team will be determined, as most of the players MM was picking are still in reasonable form.

Randolph, Coleman, Stevens, Duffy, Robinson, McGoldrick, Hendrick are all nailed on starters. Then it’s a straight shoot between Egan and Keogh (although) one would expect Keogh to probably get the nod. After that, it depends on how MM views Whelan, McClean and Robbie Brady. He may well just stick with them.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:13pm

As stated above the core of the team will be the same - injuries permitting. I'd certainly be very surprised if there was any changes to the back four and keeper. The only real changes I can foresee are Arter coming in for Whelan and Robinson coming in for Brady.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

HB has it in one.

The vast bulk of the team will be determined, as most of the players MM was picking are still in reasonable form.

Randolph, Coleman, Stevens, Duffy, Robinson, McGoldrick, Hendrick are all nailed on starters. Then it’s a straight shoot between Egan and Keogh (although) one would expect Keogh to probably get the nod. After that, it depends on how MM views Whelan, McClean and Robbie Brady. He may well just stick with them.

No way can he stick with whelan if he's spent the entire pre-season without a club. He'll be miles off fitness. It'll be Arter or McCarthy if the latter plays enough between now and then.

-------------

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:12pm
Hope Brady dosent play he has been gash since he had a massive falling out with his family a few year ago.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:20pm
I thought I read that Bradys rib injury is supposed to keep him out for another 10 days.
Doubt he'll be playing this weekend and then only 2 games until the international break.
Mick might call him up to the initial 40 man squad. It's not the worst if he's not ready.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:37pm
Any dual players who are going well should be called

a draw would be a good result against he Swiss and then experiment in the Bulgaria game with a few new players 

The swiss winning would cause us a lot of issues going into the last 3 games with 2x of thoses been tough away trips to Georgia and Geneva.

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Hope Brady dosent play he has been gash since he had a massive falling out with his family a few year ago.
What is this about? 

Posted By: AonSceal19
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Any dual players who are going well should be called

a draw would be a good result against he Swiss and then experiment in the Bulgaria game with a few new players 

The swiss winning would cause us a lot of issues going into the last 3 games with 2x of thoses been tough away trips to Georgia and Geneva.

On the flip side if we were to pull off a mini upset and best the Swiss that would leave us probably only needing 4pts from 3 games to qualify. 17 pts would be enough I reckon. The Swiss would still have to go away to Denmark so we have a real opportunity to land a substantial blow to their qualification hopes. Mick has to try and win the home games. I don't mind us being defensive but we have to have a proper go at winning this game. A draw would be a good result but we have to aim for the win and not just settle for the draw. I reckon this will be the line up Mick will go with 4-3-3

Randolph

Coleman. Duffy. Keogh. Stevens

Hendrick. McCarthy. Hourihane.

Robinson. McGoldrick. McClean.

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:54pm
I was at Deepdale at the weekend and Maguire was the best player on the pitch playing left wing.

No reason for McClean to start over him, especially considering McClean has started to play LB for his club, and not very well at that.

Same team as above with that change. Arter in for McCarthy if McCarthy doesn't play for Palace as Arter was Fulham fans man of the match at the weekend. Obafemi looks like he will be starting soon for Southampton and should be a good option off the bench. 

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

HB has it in one.

No way can he stick with whelan if he's spent the entire pre-season without a club. He'll be miles off fitness. It'll be Arter or McCarthy if the latter plays enough between now and then.

How exactly will McCarthy be fit?

How many games has he played in the last 2 yearss, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being omitted from the squad because of this.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:31pm

HB has it in one.

How many games has he played in the last 2 yearss, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being omitted from the squad because of this.

McCarthy has seen a preseason at least. On that basis Whelan should be nowhere near this squad

Arter is the logical choice.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:41pm

HB has it in one.

McCarthy has seen a preseason at least. On that basis Whelan should be nowhere near this squad

And has played a bit of an under-23 game. The odds of him having another injury are much shorter than him starting for Palace!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

What is this about? 

Yeah first I’ve heard of this. Is it horsesh*te ??

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:14pm

HB has it in one.

I don't think McCarthy or Whelan should be starting against the Swiss because I don't believe either are match fit.

I'd start Arter ahead of them alright. Will he be included?

There really is not a lot of options left.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

absolutely no reason Whelan and Mcclean should be in the squad, there are better options available and they’ve both been brutal for years.

Both have been very strong players for us the last few years. McClean was top goal scorer ffs.

Absolute laughable post.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:44pm

absolutely no reason Whelan and Mcclean should be in the squad, there are better options available and they’ve both been brutal for years.

Both have been very strong players for us the last few years. McClean was top goal scorer ffs.

Absolute laughable post.

Mcclean has scored a few important goals but his overall performances have been truly awful.

His reckless mindless tackles cost us more than anything else ffs

Very strong how exactly? Be specific? It's not his final ball that's for damn sure. Or his first touch, positioning or range of passing.

His goals, work rate and defensive abilities, regardless of your deluded opinion of him, the fact of the matter is that he will start against the Swiss. He is a senior member of the squad.

Now can you elaborate on this "reckless mindless tackles cost us more than anything else " with examples?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:48pm
I wouldn't start McClean and I don't particularly rate him as a player but to say there is absolutely no reason he should be in the squad is way over the top. He was one of our better players in the 2018 qualifying campaign and scored some very important goals. Technically he is very limited and predictable but he does offer a lot of aggression and power which can be useful in some games. 

Most interesting call for these games will be who gets the holding midfield role. I think we would all like to see McCarthy get it but he will need to get at least a game or two under his belt with Palace I'd imagine. Other options would be Whelan or Arter you'd imagine.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:53pm
So your not able to back up your point then?

I do think that there are more technically better players in the squad than McClean as he is a very limited footballer.

McCarthy will pick him - that is a matter fact. It's not fantasy football.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:00pm
As much as I want Maguire to do well, he has not impressed so far. No chance that he will start on the left wing in a game where we need a result. 

As limited as McClean is, managers like and trust him because he can put in a shift and is almost guaranteed to cause some kind of problem for the opposition. I can’t see him losing his place until Kenny comes in.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:37pm
McClean would be better used as an impact player, rather than a starter v Swiss. Same with Long.

If it was nil all with 15 to go, they would be the ones you'd want sprung from the bench.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

What is this about? 

It's a fact. Most of his family including both parents didn't attend his wedding. He has had a major falling out and apparently it's down to his wife.

One of my mates knows the family and used to live beside them in Baldoyle.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

What is this about? 

It's a fact. Most of his family including both parents didn't attend his wedding. He has had a major falling out and apparently it's down to his wife.

One of mates knows the family and used to live beside them in Baldoyle.
Who gives a f**k? Let them get on with their lives. f**king hell, it's like Love Island and Coronation St. rolled into one.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:09pm
Coronation street is in a shocking state at he moment. It's worse than one of those Robbie corners that hits the first man.

Horsebox is right.We struggle to score goals so much, McClean  probably still just about deserves a place in the team for his goal threat.

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:52pm
Arter to start.
McClean impact (literally) sub.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:55pm
Just occurred to me that Caoimhin Kelleher has now won more trophies than anyone in the squad (and that's if he makes the final squad).

James McCarthy has an FA cup from his Wigan days. (and a Scottish 1st division with Hamilton....)

Has anyone else won anything other than a championship medal ? Even those aren't as plentiful as they used be, can only think of Doherty, Clark & Arter who'd have those, though I'm sure there are more. 

McGeady would have a few medals from his Celtic days as well, though dunno if he is really a squad member any more- probably not if everyone is fit anyway. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:21am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What is this about? 

One of mates knows the family and used to live beside them in Baldoyle.
Who gives a f**k? Let them get on with their lives. f**king hell, it's like Love Island and Coronation St. rolled into one.

LOL

Their Kris Kindle has been f**ked the last few years

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:20am
Whelan has a club now so will more than likely start. It pains me to say it but I don't know will we have balance with Doherty starting so he probably misses out. Its such a shame because he is so good. 

I think Mick will play it a small bit safe but I would like to see a few changes. 

Randolph 

Seamus 
Duffy 
Egan 
Stevens 

Whelan
Hourihane 
Robinson 

Hendrick 
?
McGoldrick

Don't know what will do with the last wing position - 4-5-1 obviously.

Dreaming but would like to see Doherty, Maguire and ***Crowley all feature then. 

Just presuming it will be tight and I'd love us to for it.

***  Well aware he may not be in squad but can't see a single creative player aside from him

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Whelan has a club now so will more than likely start. It pains me to say it but I don't know will we have balance with Doherty starting so he probably misses out. Its such a shame because he is so good. 

I think Mick will play it a small bit safe but I would like to see a few changes. 

Randolph 

Seamus 
Duffy 
Egan 
Stevens 

Whelan
Hourihane 
Robinson 

Hendrick 
?
McGoldrick

Don't know what will do with the last wing position - 4-5-1 obviously.

Dreaming but would like to see Doherty, Maguire and ***Crowley all feature then. 

Just presuming it will be tight and I'd love us to for it.

***  Well aware he may not be in squad but can't see a single creative player aside from him

Either jack Byrne or Crowley will get a call up. More for an eye on the Bulgaria friendly. 

Besides Judge(ish) we otherwise will have no out in out creative option. Just seems crazy to not even have one of them. All our current options from the bench is pretty much rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:17pm
Video up from FAI with Mick saying hes announcing a FORTY man squad tomorrow LOL 

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:17pm
This game reminds me of the Serbia game in September 2017 

Could be a similar outcome. We were horrendous that night and Waterford losing the AI final 2 days before really added to the misery ha

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Video up from FAI with Mick saying hes announcing a FORTY man squad tomorrow LOL 

This will have some logic though. Expect some first 11 players to be sent home after Switzerland game. 

If it's 40 man, then both Byrne and Crowley getting called. Bulgaria sounds like it's exclusively for blooding players.  

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

This will have some logic though. Expect some first 11 players to be sent home after Switzerland game. 

If it's 40 man, then both Byrne and Crowley getting called. Bulgaria sounds like it's exclusively for blooding players.  

Says it will be cut to 23 for the game, unless he calls up some dropped for the Bulgaria game then?

Struggle to name 40 players for us tbh LOL

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:20pm
If it’s a 40 man squad then Glenn Whelan is a cert (and it’s over to the hysteria on the Glenn Whelan thread)

Posted By: Razors left peg
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:50pm

Hardly any point in McCarthy blooding new players if hes not gonna be around this time next year. Be better off picking his strongest team and trying to build a bit of momentum 

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

This game reminds me of the Serbia game in September 2017 

Could be a similar outcome. We were horrendous that night and Waterford losing the AI final 2 days before really added to the misery ha
Was actually one of the better performances of post euro monroy era. We were far better than in the Georgia game just before birr the goal was a sucker punch

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 12:26am
Randolph, McDermott, Talbot, O'Hara.
Coleman, Duffy, Keogh, K Long, Stevens, Doherty, Cunningham, Egan, Clark, Williams, Lenihan, Christie. 
Whelan, Mcclean, Hendrick, Brady, O'Dowda, Hourihan, judge, Curtis, Cullen, Browne, Mcgeady, Manning, McCarthy, Arter, Byrne, Crowley. 
Mcgoldrick, Maguire, Robinson, Long, Hogan, Collins, O'brien, Obafemi.

That will be the squad imo. When is the u21 squad to be announced? 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Paul Andrew White
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 1:13am
Full squad. 

randy westwood kelleher mcdermott

doherty Coleman duffy egan clark keogh nathan Collins cunningham stevens

lenihan arter mccarthy hourihane hendrick Brady mcclean

mcgoldrick Robinson parrott Long odowda hogan

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:15pm
What is the delay with 140 man squad?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:17pm
Was it set for 3pm?

-------------

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

What is the delay with 140 man squad?

Haha - probably easier if he tells us who's not included LOL

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:24pm

Was it set for 3pm?

I read 4:30

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:27pm
https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1162369526215970816?s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1162369526215970816?s=19

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1162369526215970816?s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1162369526215970816?s=19

f**king Kieran sadlier!!!give me strength. Why no Crowley 

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:32pm
Will this squad be cut before any training sessions take place?

I.e will Mick get to see Parrott in training before trimming down from 40?

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:33pm
no Crowley - must not have had the paperwork through 

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:40pm

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hopefully thats the case

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:44pm
Connell missing also, but no surprise there

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:46pm
When will the u21 squad be announced? 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

If so, is the paperwork going via China? How long is this transfer going on now?

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:52pm
Also no Bamford movement means that ship has sailed as well it seems like. Pretty much figured that, but all but official now. 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Has Connell been in a senior match day squad up at Celtic?

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 4:15pm

Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Has Connell been in a senior match day squad up at Celtic?

Not yet, no.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 4:21pm
i heard  Crowley has a bit of paperwork to sort yet. otherwise he would of been involved. 

-------------
royal rover

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by royal rover royal rover wrote:

i heard  Crowley has a bit of paperwork to sort yet. otherwise he would of been involved. 

Mick mentioned that in his FAI interview. Didn't necessarily say he would have included him if it had been sorted though.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 4:29pm
i don't see why he wouldn't off , a good season at Birmingham and anything could happen to him, sadlier got in on merit 

-------------
royal rover

Posted By: williemc83
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 4:32pm
The Swiss are as consistent as any top team in Europe the past 2 campaigns. A draw would be a very good result.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 5:40pm
They were very ordinary in both legs of the world cup play off against the nordies. At least we know Mick will be taking a good look at those. As opposed to whatever MON would have been up to.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 6:55pm
Pains me to say it but when you look at the squad you have to say we are a really poor team and have been for a while.

The senior players are really poor with the slight exception to Doherty (who wont play) Coleman/Duffy who are not beyond criticism.

The younger players (although have potential) haven't got a few hours of senior football between them.

Couple that with the way we play and you could see any team fancying their chances against us.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 7:48pm
Seems like a fairly adventurous squad, honestly. Sadler is a good player and worth a look, Byrne gets his reward, Travers, Collins and Parrott are the future, Obafemi, Long, and McCarthy are back. Promising.

Crowley will get his chance once he is proved eligible:
https://www.balls.ie/football/mick-mccarthy-admits-questions-dan-crowleys-ireland-eligibility-415840" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/mick-mccarthy-admits-questions-dan-crowleys-ireland-eligibility-415840

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Seems like a fairly adventurous squad, honestly. Sadler is a good player and worth a look, Byrne gets his reward, Travers, Collins and Parrott are the future, Obafemi, Long, and McCarthy are back. Promising.

https://www.balls.ie/football/mick-mccarthy-admits-questions-dan-crowleys-ireland-eligibility-415840" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/mick-mccarthy-admits-questions-dan-crowleys-ireland-eligibility-415840
bring on the fondue munchers ClapClapClap

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Is it really though ? Collins, Obafemi & Parrott are likely going to the U21s - unless they play for their clubs & score in the meantime- so says Mick here;  https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/if-im-not-going-to-play-them-theyll-travel-with-stephen-mccarthy-says-new-callups-likely-to-drop-to-u21s-38410183.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/if-im-not-going-to-play-them-theyll-travel-with-stephen-mccarthy-says-new-callups-likely-to-drop-to-u21s-38410183.html  Had those 3 not been named today, there would have been a fair bit more whinging on here, yet they likely aren't going to play anyway. 

Give the squad a bit of scrutiny and you will find that the final 23 will be much the same as the last few squads. 

GK's Randolph, Westwood- one of O'Hara or Travers will stay in it, or both when Westwood hands in the latest sicknote. (3)

RB-Coleman & Doherty. Christie drops out. (2)

CB- Duffy, Keogh, Egan - one of Clark or K Long stays, the other goes (on previous squad, Long stays in), Lenihan drops out, Collins goes to U21s. (4)

LB- Stevens, and likely both of Cunningham & Williams drop out as McClean can cover LB and it frees up an extra midfield or forward spot. (1)

RM & LM - McClean, Brady, O'Dowda, Robinson might be included either here or with the forwards. Curtis & Sadlier drop out. (4)

CM - Hourihane, Hendrick, Whelan, and 2 from Browne, Cullen, Byrne, Judge & Arter. McCarthy might be in this too, but maybe only for Bulgaria. THink Cullen has a chance of being in it this time, if only to get a look at him V Bulgaria. (5)

FW- Long & McGoldrick are definite (2), Parrott & Obafemi to U21s, so another 2 from Hogan, Maguire, Collins & O'Brien. If previous squads are much to go by, Hogan & Maguire stay, though I'd imagine Hogan's place in the squad must be under threat at this point. (2 more)

The squad is as predictable as it ever was. There will probably be a few injuries, and he might choose to take 24 or 25 and not 23, or someone who I listed as likely to drop out might have a run of form that demands inclusion, but it won't be much different to what is posted there. 

Edit; Forgot Judge there, and he could well be one of the players who stays in squad too, Mick seems to like him. 

-------------

Posted By: Liam Green
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 4:01am
Obafemi and Parrott I think would be better options than hogan , o Brien and Maguire in the final 23

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 2:34pm
Hendrick, Hourihane, Brady, Browne, O'Dowda all NOT starting for their clubs today.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 5:04pm
Well rested so...

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:56am
40 man squad, but less than half of that actually playing after the first 2/3 games of the season. 

1. Randolph- playing regularly, 1st choice for club
2. Westwood- same
3. O'Hara- playing for Burton Albion
4. Travers- 3rd or 4th choice for Bournemouth
5. Coleman- 1st choice for Everton
6. Doherty- 1st choice for Wolves
7. Christie- Unused sub last game, came on in game before that, kind of irrelevant anyway, won't be in squad unless one of above 2 get injured. 
8.Duffy- playing, 1st choice
9. Keogh- playing & first choice
10.Egan, likely plays today, 1st choice
11. K.Long- Unused sub, then not on bench in 2 Burnley games so far.
12. Collins- Came on after 80 mins today, Mick already indicated he is going to U21 squad
13. Stevens- likely plays later today
14. Cunningham- played for Blackburn today, unlikely to make final squad
15. Lenihan- same as Cunningham.
16. Williams- same again, tho played at CB for Blackburn today
17. Clark- unused sub for Newcastle so far, might play in next 1 or 2 given crap defence so far.
18. Hourihane- played first game for AV, then dropped.
19. Whelan- On bench for Hearts in 1st game, will probably make 1st team next game or 2
20. Cullen- played all games for Charlton so far
21. Hendrick- unused sub today, lost his place to Gudmunsonn at Burnley
22. Brady- injured, and unlikely to replace McNeil at Burnley just yet
23. Browne- started season as sub for PNE
24. McClean- played 2 of 3 games for Stoke at LB, though in our squad as an attacking winger
25. O'Dowda- out of favour at Bristol City
26. J McCarthy- Yet to play for C.Palace, probably get a few minutes in the next few games, Mick has indicated likely won't be enough. 
27. Jack Byrne- Tipping away for Shams, LOI player of month for July, likely not enough to keep him in final squad. 
28. Judge -playing regularly in L1
29. Arter- Playing in champ for Fulham
30. Curtis - playing in L1 for Portsmouth
31. Sadlier - playing in L1 for Doncaster
32. Robinson- started for Sheff U, probably will continue to do so
33. Hogan- playing for Stoke, scored yesterday
34. Obafemi- Came on as sub for Southampton in 1st game, unused sub in 2nd, Mick indicated he is going to U21s
35. McGoldrick- likely plays today for Sheff U, keeps his place for Ireland regardless
36. Collins- playing for Luton in Championship
37. O'Brien- playing for Millwall, though as some class of midfielder/wide forward so far
38. Parrott- Playing for Spurs U23s, Mick indicated he is also going to U21s
39. Maguire- playing for PNE, but on the left wing
40. S Long- either injured or out of favour 

Out of the giant squad, we have 3 keepers playing (can only pick one)
2 RB's playing (likely only pick one to be in 1st 11)
3 CBs playing, 4 if we count the inexperienced Lenihan, 5 if we count Williams as well, not counting Collins as Mick has indicated he won't be playing for the senior team just yet. Can only pick 2 anyway. 
2 LB's playing, but Cunningham unlikely to make cut
3 CM's playing, Arter, who has yet to convince in the ROI jersey, Cullen, who has yet to play for us, and Byrne, who is in the LOI. Though Whelan will likely get a game for Hearts before too long. 
Wingers; McClean playing, but not in same position as he plays for Ireland. O'Dowda out of favour, Robinson might be playing wide for SU, Curtis & Sadlier in L1
Strikers; Maguire playing wide left, McGoldrick starting, Long out of Southampton squad, James Collins hasn't played for us, O'Brien hasn't proved he is up to it, Obafemi & Parrott (probably wrongly) dismissed by Mick as U21 players, Hogan starting but yet to convince for us. 

Aye, its early days in the UK and some of those currently benched or out of favour will get games in the coming weeks, but regarding the Swiss home game, we barely have 11 starters playing for their clubs in the positions they are picked for Ireland. Barring our 2 best players, who unfortunately both play in the same position, and the first name on our teamsheet Duffy, we have a handful of championship regulars, EPL subs and recently promoted Sheff U players to pick from. It's pretty hard to be overly optimistic. 

-------------

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:18am
Travers is 3rd choice, been with team both games ahead of Begovic though still ends up sitting in stand. Judge didnt even get off bench for Ipswich today.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 9:48am
Judges situation is weird, Ipswich seemed to hold onto him on the condition that he was going to be their main man this year, yet he's found himself on the bench. He could have been starting for QPR in the Championship if the move had went through.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: rebelbrowser
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:36am
excellent post Deise. Lots of food for thought there but depressing enough in the short term.

Posted By: Fozzy B
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:12pm
all four Irish blades start today against palace.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

Very promising - all did well in the last game so let's hope that continues 

Posted By: BippityBoop
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

They're the new Everton (of 2014)!

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:12pm
The new Preston of 2018

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:43pm
Mcgoldrick misses a sitter. 

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Doesn't matter. We don't call up Forwards to score goals.

Posted By: eddiebro
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:45pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Doesn't matter. We don't call up Forwards to score goals.

We won’t get many chances like that against the Swiss if any 

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:52pm
I get the feeling that we all support Sheffield United a little more this year.

Egan and Steven's have been solid so far

Robinson and mcgoldrick don't look out of place at this level either (saying that mcgoldrick should have scored)

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:17pm
McCarthy on the bench for Palance too, hopefully he comes on for a bit.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:17pm
Robinson off with an injury? Anyone see what happened?

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:20pm
f**k sake.

Hamstring injury. That’s him out for Swiss game anyway. 

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:36pm
Gives Obafemi and Troy more of a chance of sticking around if that is the case.

We are cursed for injuries. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:39pm
Didn't look too bad going off. Wouldn't rule him out yet.

Nasty challenge on McCarthy as well, he was down injured for a minute but looks OK now. 

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:45pm

Let's be honest, Robinson being out would just mean McClean or Brady (or some other pragmatic) choice moves into contention. 

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:48pm
i wouldnt call that being pragmatic. Maybe realistic.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:52pm

Let's be honest, Robinson being out would just mean McClean or Brady (or some other pragmatic) choice moves into contention. 

Spot on 

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:59pm
If John Egan can keep up the level of performances shown over the first two games then he should come in for Keogh I think. 

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:59pm
Robinson walking around the pitch fine after the game, if that means anything

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

If John Egan can keep up the level of performances shown over the first two games then he should come in for Keogh I think. 

Ya PL defender over a championship defender. Makes sense.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net