You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 56>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

f**k sake.

Hamstring injury. That’s him out for Swiss game anyway. 

Callum Robinson plays down injury concerns. "It was just fatigue, I'll be absolutely fine. I felt a bit of tightness with the hamstring and around my hips. It was all down to the extra running and work I was doing all game. I'll definitely be back for the next game."
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
Sponsored Links

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

We get it , you don't like McCarthy

How on earth did you crack his code?? He was hiding his McCarthy hate so well and eloquently pretending to have a Scooby doo what he is talking about. Confused

Idiots like him are what is wrong with Irish support, and there are far too many here. I'm out!
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

We get it , you don't like McCarthy

How on earth did you crack his code?? He was hiding his McCarthy hate so well and eloquently pretending to have a Scooby doo what he is talking about. Confused

Idiots like him are what is wrong with Irish support, and there are far too many here. I'm out!

Oh booooooooooooooo! Please come back.

I don't hate McCarthy. I don't know him. I just believe he is a washed up, average at best, football manager. A manager that would have struggled to get a League One job when we appointed him. It is funny that so many wanted rid of MON but also wanted McCarthy to return LOL 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Would agree about the toughness of the 02 group. Wouldn't agree about the monumental rebuild job. Just because a squad has gotten older and many need to be moved doesn't mean the rebuild was monumental. There were lots of quality younger Irish players around at that point.

Personally, I think MM didn’t go with the safe rebuild, and it certainly didn’t go smoothly. If I recall correctly we played 4-5-1 in Bucharest, and Ian Harte was deployed initially as a centre back. As was Keane against Iceland.  The 96-97 period wasn’t impressive, results wise, and even the results we did get often left pause for concern. But that was the build which made the 98-99 period a lot more enjoyable.

I also don’t necessarily believe we were as aflush with great young players as we may think. Many of the lads were reasonable international standard. Others got a chance between 96-97 and MM moved on. I suspect you could pick a full 11 of players who made between 1-5 appearances in the early years and didn’t make any real impact.

Look, I think any rebuild Kenny has to do will outstrip what MM did in the 1990s. With MM we had the most reliable left back in the UK, and a Man U Captain in waiting, and they are just two examples. But MM did an exceptional rebuild in those days, as it was more than just rebuilding the 11 for the post Charlton era.

Thanks PM for clearing up my little error earlier!

There is no such thing as a safe rebuild, but McCarthy wasn't exactly a footballing maverick replacing any older player with the next young thing. It was more a case of it being beyond the point of no return for lots of older Irish player in his first 3-4 years in charge. At some point you just have to move on and play younger players. Just like now, if Murphy hadn't retired I reckon he'd be involved in every qualifier this campaign. Back then Tony Cascarino who could barely move in '97 , was still being trotted out by '99. McCarthy is a horribly conservative manager and make no bones about it, he did everything in his power to hold off this 'rebuild' for as long as possible. 

The difference in quality of player waiting in the wings between then and now is massive. McCarthy had lots of quality players to call on after stalwarts like McGrath, Houghton, Townsend, Cascarino finished up. Back then you could put together an incredible young side in the early 00's. 

We could go down the route of the Ian Harte CB fiasco, the Roy Keane CB fiasco, but I've been there and done that on here. Just amazes me how often the sh*t show that it was under McCarthy at times is overlooked. His final 2 games as Ireland manager are more or less written out of history, yet he cost us that campaign. 

Roy Keane at CB LOL Our Mick Clap

But Cascarino was one of the top scorers in UEFA WC qualification that time. He also laid on Mcloughlin’s goal in Macedonia. He was hugely important at the time. 1999 less so but he had Quinn, Keane, Connolly, and O’Neill and used them all.

My point is 1996-1997 laid the groundwork for 1998-2002. Promoting Carr over Gary Kelly, spotting that Breen-Cunningham was a better partnership than having Babb in there. Spotting Kennedy’s spike in form, being willing to give Richard Dunne a start when he was very uncompromising. Kinsella and Holland could have been in the squad under Charlton, but he brought them. I also mentioned McLoughlin who was given a shot by MM

It’s also not true that he held off the rebuild. He gave everybody a chance, but McGrath’s was in a friendly against Wales, Aldo played 10 minutes of a game in which we had completed the job. Bonner played in the US Cup. Liam O’Brien played a bit. But on the whole, there was a glut of players whose role in the McCarthy era was inconsequential. So there was no hold off.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:33pm
Going to be the same 23 named thats usually named and after losing to the swiss mick will Insist on playing Whelan, Keogh, Long, Duffy etc in the Bulgaria game 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:58pm
Thanks for the heads up there Healy, think I'll blank it and stay at home and watch Murder She Wrote.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 3:42pm
The negativity on here is incredible. Yes, Mick is conservative, but he's a one campaign appointment, expecting him to blood all sorts of players is ridiculous.He's started as well as he could have, has definitely got a response from the players and yet the Swiss will just roll us over Smile with little trouble seems to be a general view. They won't do that.They might beat us, but it will at least be a very competitive game.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm
[QUOTE=TonyNotJack]The negativity on here is incredible. Yes, Mick is conservative, but he's a one campaign appointment, expecting him to blood all sorts of players is ridiculous.He's started as well as he could have, has definitely got a response from the players and yet the Swiss will just roll us over Smile with little trouble seems to be a general view. They won't do that.They might beat us, but it will at least be a very competitive game.[/QUOTE

I refuse to accept that Mick is conservative. Even without contrasting his approach with O'Neill and Trap, I don't buy it. If anything, Mick could certainly have been accused of not being conservative enough as Ireland manager in his first stint.

Just because Moleman repeats it ad nauseam, doesn't make it true.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:34pm
The forum is being destroyed by 4/5 posters who have taken it over arguing and sniping non stop.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

[QUOTE=TonyNotJack]The negativity on here is incredible. Yes, Mick is conservative, but he's a one campaign appointment, expecting him to blood all sorts of players is ridiculous.He's started as well as he could have, has definitely got a response from the players and yet the Swiss will just roll us over Smile with little trouble seems to be a general view. They won't do that.They might beat us, but it will at least be a very competitive game.[/QUOTE

I refuse to accept that Mick is conservative. Even without contrasting his approach with O'Neill and Trap, I don't buy it. If anything, Mick could certainly have been accused of not being conservative enough as Ireland manager in his first stint.

Just because Moleman repeats it ad nauseam, doesn't make it true.

Mick was 36 when he started managing Ireland. (And green..!) I remember first time round and he's definitely more conservative now.

Having said that, i don't think Mick is anything like Trap or Mon when it comes to an attacking conservatism. He encourages 2 of his 3 centre midfielders to get toward when possible. So an improvement in that regard. 

I would still coin him a conservative manager over all.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:05pm

Would agree about the toughness of the 02 group. Wouldn't agree about the monumental rebuild job. Just because a squad has gotten older and many need to be moved doesn't mean the rebuild was monumental. There were lots of quality younger Irish players around at that point.

Personally, I think MM didn’t go with the safe rebuild, and it certainly didn’t go smoothly. If I recall correctly we played 4-5-1 in Bucharest, and Ian Harte was deployed initially as a centre back. As was Keane against Iceland.  The 96-97 period wasn’t impressive, results wise, and even the results we did get often left pause for concern. But that was the build which made the 98-99 period a lot more enjoyable.

I also don’t necessarily believe we were as aflush with great young players as we may think. Many of the lads were reasonable international standard. Others got a chance between 96-97 and MM moved on. I suspect you could pick a full 11 of players who made between 1-5 appearances in the early years and didn’t make any real impact.

Look, I think any rebuild Kenny has to do will outstrip what MM did in the 1990s. With MM we had the most reliable left back in the UK, and a Man U Captain in waiting, and they are just two examples. But MM did an exceptional rebuild in those days, as it was more than just rebuilding the 11 for the post Charlton era.

Thanks PM for clearing up my little error earlier!

There is no such thing as a safe rebuild, but McCarthy wasn't exactly a footballing maverick replacing any older player with the next young thing. It was more a case of it being beyond the point of no return for lots of older Irish player in his first 3-4 years in charge. At some point you just have to move on and play younger players. Just like now, if Murphy hadn't retired I reckon he'd be involved in every qualifier this campaign. Back then Tony Cascarino who could barely move in '97 , was still being trotted out by '99. McCarthy is a horribly conservative manager and make no bones about it, he did everything in his power to hold off this 'rebuild' for as long as possible. 

The difference in quality of player waiting in the wings between then and now is massive. McCarthy had lots of quality players to call on after stalwarts like McGrath, Houghton, Townsend, Cascarino finished up. Back then you could put together an incredible young side in the early 00's. 

We could go down the route of the Ian Harte CB fiasco, the Roy Keane CB fiasco, but I've been there and done that on here. Just amazes me how often the sh*t show that it was under McCarthy at times is overlooked. His final 2 games as Ireland manager are more or less written out of history, yet he cost us that campaign. 

Roy Keane at CB LOL Our Mick Clap

But Cascarino was one of the top scorers in UEFA WC qualification that time. He also laid on Mcloughlin’s goal in Macedonia. He was hugely important at the time. 1999 less so but he had Quinn, Keane, Connolly, and O’Neill and used them all.

My point is 1996-1997 laid the groundwork for 1998-2002. Promoting Carr over Gary Kelly, spotting that Breen-Cunningham was a better partnership than having Babb in there. Spotting Kennedy’s spike in form, being willing to give Richard Dunne a start when he was very uncompromising. Kinsella and Holland could have been in the squad under Charlton, but he brought them. I also mentioned McLoughlin who was given a shot by MM

It’s also not true that he held off the rebuild. He gave everybody a chance, but McGrath’s was in a friendly against Wales, Aldo played 10 minutes of a game in which we had completed the job. Bonner played in the US Cup. Liam O’Brien played a bit. But on the whole, there was a glut of players whose role in the McCarthy era was inconsequential. So there was no hold off.

Agree with you on a couple of points - Cascarino played a prominent role in the World Cup '98 qualifiers due to a lack of credible alternatives. Quinn was out for a protracted period with a serious knee injury. Connolly, a young player who never really amounted to anything more than a backup option, wasn't getting his game at Watford and then Feyenoord; David Kelly was never really up to it and was going through a goal drought at Sunderland, and Robbie only really emerged later on, in time for the Euro 2000 qualifying campaign.

And when first appointed, I thought Mick was anything but conservative, binning a large swathe of players who'd been squad regulars under Jack; players like Morris, Kernaghan, Milligan Sheridan and McGoldrick, and even McGrath, who was still playing at a good level at Villa, Derby and Sheffield United, were quickly dispensed with. And a new formation based on a sweeper and wing-backs was introduced. In his first match, a friendly against Russia, Mark Kennedy was played in a free role behind the front two. He also did some rather odd things; aside from the aforementioned misusing of Harte and Keane, playing 5'8 Denis Irwin in a back three, and dropping him for Jeff Kenna and telling him he had to 'prove himself'. And I believe Dunne started that WCQ due to injuries to Breen and Cunningham and a lack of other options rather than for purely ideological reasons. All that being said, Mick was in his thirties then, he's undoubtedly a lot more of a pragmatist second time around.

As far as Kinsella and Holland are concerned, Holland wasn't introduced until the third campaign in for the World Cup in '02. I'm not sure he'd even made his debut in the lower reaches of the football league at Bournemouth when Jack was still manager. And Kinsella was still at 4th-tier Colchester when Jack resigned. Not sure how people would've reacted had he called either up at that stage of their careers.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 21 Aug 2019 at 6:13pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

The forum is being destroyed by 4/5 posters who have taken it over arguing and sniping non stop.

Absolutely right. It’s too much
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:35pm
James McClean has just rubber stamped his starting 11 position. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:47pm
What was the goal like?

Watched a bit of the second half earlier and he was lively enough.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What was the goal like?

Watched a bit of the second half earlier and he was lively enough.

Depending on how you view McClean, you can choose whether or not to add a sarcastic tone to the post. 

Didn't see goal. Pretty clear that every Brit on twitter hates him though. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:53pm
I watched about 20 mins of the 2nd half, he was up and down the pitch in those 20 mins, got booked, put in some crosses, didn't see the goal.

He didn't appear to be positionally aware from the 20 mins I saw.

I'm aware that every little Englander hates him.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:57pm

He took his goal well, cross came in from the right and Preston's defence didn't see Mcclean come in from the left. He then side footed the ball into the net. Good finish.

Mcclean seen a good amount of the ball on the left, his delivery into the box was very poor though. He worked hard but was very wasteful.

Almost got into a fight with one of the Preston players and got booked.

It was a pretty typical mcclean performance 

Edited by Left foot - 21 Aug 2019 at 9:58pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:58pm
Apparently, he lost the ball 33 times during the game, got booked and scored a goal
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 56>
  Share Topic