Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Hodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 40>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 12:27am
So once again, no evidence whatsoever that Hodge isn't committed to representing Ireland.

Bizarre and predictable that that is the main talking point of a young Irish player starting in the Premier League.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

So once again, no evidence whatsoever that Hodge isn't committed to representing Ireland.

Bizarre and predictable that that is the main talking point of a young Irish player starting in the Premier League.

The Declan Rice effect. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Yep. Absolutely toxic.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 6:39pm
Not as toxic as the abuse Stephen Kenny has been getting for not calling him up when people don't know whether he tried to call him up or not.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:06pm
Criticising every player underage who has a shot of playing for Ireland who was not born here is far far more damaging than questioning how an international manager builds a playing pool. Kenny's mandate is to oversee a transition to a different style and bring through the young players.

I have been firmly behind Kenny for a few years and feel it is perfectly rational to judge him on that criteria. He has done some things well but he is failing at this stage on a lot of things. He is between a rock and a hard place and is in need of a miracle in qualifiers. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Criticising every player underage who has a shot of playing for Ireland who was not born here is far far more damaging than questioning how an international manager builds a playing pool. Kenny's mandate is to oversee a transition to a different style and bring through the young players.

I have been firmly behind Kenny for a few years and feel it is perfectly rational to judge him on that criteria. He has done some things well but he is failing at this stage on a lot of things. He is between a rock and a hard place and is in need of a miracle in qualifiers. 

How would you suggest any Ireland manager builds the playing pool differently? I previously listed dozens of the best players eligible for us who were either already in the setup or approached several times and didn't want to play for us. Coaches at underage level like Noel King were literally calling up every eligible player with a pulse because they were working on a commission. If Kenny tried to call up Hodge and Hodge declined, would you prefer Kenny keep it in house, or mention it to the media and risk ostracizing the player? If he did the previous instead of the latter, then it would probably be good man-management, but people want to jump to conclusions. It doesn't really make sense that he'd call up Ferguson but not Hodge, considering how much of a problem position midfield is. And Hodge, like it or not, has played for England in the past. He's committed now. So were Grealish and Rice at the same stage of development. So were Ronan/Crowley/Michael Keane (I know Ronan back in the fold now).
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:26pm
Hearing rumours in England that a certain manager is putting together a PowerPoint presentation for this lad. 
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 10:14pm
Glad to know someone knows what Kenny’s mandate is. Any chance it also includes winning games or qualifying for tournaments?
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 12:32am
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Glad to know someone knows what Kenny’s mandate is. Any chance it also includes winning games or qualifying for tournaments?

It is exactly my point though. If he is not bringing through young players quickly and building a pool and going through a transition... then he will be judged on results alone. No slack should be given. If he was capping all these players and getting them experience I could deal with the pain of a transition and regeneration of the squad.

I like Kenny but he can't have it both ways. It is all pain and no gain at the minute.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 9:17pm
Another 35 minutes coming up for Hodge against Villa this evening.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 9:25pm
Showing faith in him there. Only a one goal lead with half and hour to go. Moutinho can't be at his best for 90 anymore so Hodge may end up getting good minutes if he plays well in this role.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 9:58pm
Kenny needs to cap hodge ASAP. If the likes of hourihane is in the squad over him come March. Kenny should be sacked on the spot.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 10:10pm
Fans don't seem overly enamoured with him on social media. To be fair he's getting fairly decent minutes in a relegation battling side despite having zero senior experience, always going to be tough. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 10:10pm
Great talent and enthusiastic to play for the senior team, get him in by all means.
We're decent enough..
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Fans don't seem overly enamoured with him on social media. To be fair he's getting fairly decent minutes in a relegation battling side despite having zero senior experience, always going to be tough. 

Wolves fans aren't the easier bunch for young players to impress. And fair enough in this situation I'd also rather bring on an experienced midfielder than Joe Hodge. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 11:33pm

A lot of people saying he should be ahead of Hourihane, and I agree, but Hendrick, Browne, Cullen, Molumby, Knight, McGrath and probably Smallbone are all ahead of him as things stand so I don't know if it's realistic for him to get any meaningful game time against Latvia on the current trajectory, regardless of whether Kenny tried to call him up against Norway and Malta or not. I know people are anxious for him to be integrated as soon as possible given what happened with Rice and Grealish but the former has proven that even friendly starts, let alone token minutes, aren't necessarily going to tie anyone down. Leaving aside the eligibility issue, I don't think he's ready to be fast tracked yet. And Kenny is probably more worried about improving his win record and setting us up for a hiding to nothing against France and Netherlands than playing to the peanut gallery. He's fine in the 21's for now. Let him get a campaign under his belt at that level and let the chips fall where they may. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 12:40am

They are bottom of the league and hate evevyone right now. Socmed means nothing.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

They are bottom of the league and hate evevyone right now. Socmed means nothing.

He gets off easy compared to some of the Wolves team right now believe me. Especially if you are a goal shy attacking player whcih we have plenty of. Most have no issue with Hodge more the circumstances of playing 433 with 4 senior midfielders (and one is injured for the next month or two) and having to rely on a kid who isn't entirely comfortable at this level yet. I'd agree with them and I have the dose of irish bias that most Wolves fans don't have to make me happier to see him getting minutes regularly.

Edited by SC92 - 05 Jan 2023 at 1:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 40>
  Share Topic