Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57102
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 6:15am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Joe Hodge
Posted By: nvidic
Subject: Joe Hodge
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:01pm
Deserves his own thread, exceptional for both u17s and u19s this summer, let's hope he sticks with us 

Replies:
Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:22pm
I think we're possibly getting a bit carried away here, he has clear potential and has had some great moments, but I wouldn't exactly say he's been running games. He's still very young so probably best to give him time to develop rather than over-hyping him just yet.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:34pm
Has to start against the Swiss. It's a no brainer 

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: PaConnors
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:36pm
Hopefully we don't have another Grealish/Rice situation in a years. Still very young so a lot will depend on how he progresses the next two/three years. 

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:39pm
Very promising player. His link to Ireland is not that strong is it? A granny that moved to England. I'd be worried about losing him.
Kenny said the rice / grealish situation wouldn't have happened if managed better. Let's see it in practice then.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 11:45am
This lad is absolute quality. Needs to be capped. 

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 11:47am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMykYSQaG_c" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMykYSQaG_c

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Very promising player. His link to Ireland is not that strong is it? A granny that moved to England. I'd be worried about losing him.
Kenny said the rice / grealish situation wouldn't have happened if managed better. Let's see it in practice then.

It's good that Stephen Kenny is out in Armenia and is even overseeing the training sessions. He's probably in the ear of all the young players and telling them they have a potential future in his team

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:11am
Scholar of the Year at Many City, didn't realise he'd broken his leg and ankle

https://amp.mancity.com/news/eds-academy/joe-hodge-man-city-scholar-of-the-year-1920-63731781?__twitter_impression=true" rel="nofollow - https://amp.mancity.com/news/eds-academy/joe-hodge-man-city-scholar-of-the-year-1920-63731781?__twitter_impression=true

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:41am
Such an exciting prospect.
I'd say he will benefit from Kenny's attitude where he said the young talents would be fast-tracked thru' the age groups as they see fit so every chance he's an U21 player sooner rather than later, even though he's only 18.

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'd say he will benefit from Kenny's attitude where he said the young talents would be fast-tracked thru' the age groups as they see fit so every chance he's an U21 player sooner rather than later, even though he's only 18.

What are his links to Ireland is he likely to have his head turned 

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

What are his links to Ireland is he likely to have his head turned 

Dublin Grandmother.
So tenuous!
He's played for Ireland and England underage, altho' only as a bit-player for England.  From listening to him talk, he seems to very much enjoy the Irish setup but we have to respect he is English born, to English parents and has lived there his whole life so there are no guarantees.

He is still a child at 17 and should not be getting asked about allegiance. Let him enjoy the game and when the time comes, he is free to choose as he likes.

But I think this is where Kenny could excel - a good connection with the youth players and joined-up thinking between the age groups where players see a pathway to the senior side. Hodge turns 18 in September and will still be very young, but I wonder how long it is until he is playing senior football somewhere.  Not long I'd say based on his unquestionable quality. I hope he makes the step up to senior level and plays for us there, but can't begrudge him if he doesn't.

PS, I see I contradicted myself on his age....apologies...he turns 18 in Sept.

Posted By: Yiksheemash
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:35pm
move to the ROTW section 

-------------
In my country we fak, my wife she isa dead

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:35pm
He wasn't a bit part player. The English setup was very annoyed losing him (and fans) and his old man critiqued their whole setup heavily too and they decided he is playing for Ireland and he is fully committed. Started learning the Irish anthem too straight away. I would be quietly confident on this lad if he is treated accordingly and moved through the ranks fast.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

He wasn't a bit part player. The English setup was very annoyed losing him (and fans) and his old man critiqued their whole setup heavily too and they decided he is playing for Ireland and he is fully committed. Started learning the Irish anthem too straight away. I would be quietly confident on this lad if he is treated accordingly and moved through the ranks fast.

How do you know?

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

move to the ROTW section 

LOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

I'd argue that being in the England U17 squad 5 times but only starting once, and getting 4 sub appearances qualifies as bit-part.
Compare that to Ireland U17 where he was in the squad 9 times and started every match.

I didn't know your other comments and they are encouraging.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

move to the ROTW section 
Move you to the banned section.

Posted By: gally
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:50pm
How far away is he from a senior call-up?

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

How far away is he from a senior call-up?

All going right for him I would honestly say 2 years. If Kenny does what he says I think gets an early cap in that timeframe

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 6:00pm
Is 18 too young to be heading somewhere on loan?
I guess not if you are good enough and I think this guy is.  He's 8 months younger than Parrott so I'm thinking it's far from impossible he gets senior games this season.

So if he did manage to get some games this upcoming season then who knows, could be a call-up within a year.

This is highly optimistic thinking on my part but sure why not Big smile

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 6:11pm

Is 18 too young to be heading somewhere on loan?
I guess not if you are good enough and I think this guy is.  He's 8 months younger than Parrott so I'm thinking it's far from impossible he gets senior games this season.

So if he did manage to get some games this upcoming season then who knows, could be a call-up within a year.

This is highly optimistic thinking on my part but sure why not Big smile

I was thinking he won't go on loan til he is 18 at leastwhich is September. 18 is the perfect age imo. I think he will play 21's this year. and maybe get a call up the year after. Id love all these lads going to the Euros with the squad if we got there like. The Knights, Smallbones and Hodges of the world. Won't happen but like, may aswell have a young squad there and think of the the future. Great experience and we are not going to win the thing anyway.

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:11pm
He's a talented player if a little on the small side. Hope it doesn't go against him too much. I would try and cap him though before a Rice situation emerges because he's good enough at the moment to get their attention.. 

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 12:07am
Kenny’s Kids has his highlights up on Twitter. There is some very impressive play there. He looks a real talent. 

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

He's a talented player if a little on the small side. Hope it doesn't go against him too much. I would try and cap him though before a Rice situation emerges because he's good enough at the moment to get their attention.. 

That's it tho. 
You see lots of underage lade who are top of their category because they developed faster etc. Time catches up on them. 
Hodge is the opposite - a small player who is still able to stand out while playing against lads two or three years his senior.
If anything, he'll be better again as he catches up on them development-wise. 

Posted By: gally
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:57pm
According to Kenny's Kids, He's been training with the first team.

Posted By: DR.HUGO
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 7:50pm
This guy is the real deal not been impressed by a player as much as I have with Hodge in a very long time...hope we can keep him and Kenny is a fan.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by DR.HUGO DR.HUGO wrote:

This guy is the real deal not been impressed by a player as much as I have with Hodge in a very long time...hope we can keep him and Kenny is a fan.

Even Kenny is already talking him up almost with one eye on trying to sweeten up and get him thinking in our direction almost. 😂 Haven’t seen much of him but he looked exceptional in the U19s semi final against Portugal at 16. Hard to break through at City though tbf. Himself and Bazunu two outstanding prospects. 

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:34pm
I really like the name Joe Hodge for some reason.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 1:24am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

He sounds like a cowboy.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 2:00am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Sounds very English to me 

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 2:15pm
We need Kenny to work some magic with Hodge. In the very limited amount of time I've seen him, he looks like a natural. 
The link with us is very small. He would be one that I would look to fast track, however controversial it may be to some!

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 2:51pm
Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to taking the "Welsh approach" with him, so to speak. Realistically there are always a couple of places in our squads that are filled by guys who are unlikely to play and are just making up the numbers, why not use those places for something productive like getting Hodge involved? Kenny will quickly be able to make a judgement on him from his performances in training if he's worth capping early. If he is then great, he's there for you to do it; and if he's not then no harm done, you leave him to go away and work on his game for a while longer.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 3:12pm
Just been announced as 17s player of the year.

O'Connor got the 21s and Afolabi got 19s. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to taking the "Welsh approach" with him, so to speak. Realistically there are always a couple of places in our squads that are filled by guys who are unlikely to play and are just making up the numbers, why not use those places for something productive like getting Hodge involved? Kenny will quickly be able to make a judgement on him from his performances in training if he's worth capping early. If he is then great, he's there for you to do it; and if he's not then no harm done, you leave him to go away and work on his game for a while longer.

Would agree with this, cap Hodge and Smallbone early in much the same way we did Obafemi. For one it removes any doubt to how committed they are, worst case they say they don't want to be capped and we can move on straight away.

and secondly, we don't go through any 6 month period where the player is thinking about his options.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:21am
if he was welsh he would have about 6 caps already.

Should have been capped in these games. Need to think of the future and avoid another rice situation.

-------------

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:23am
Can't be capping U17's for the sake of capping them ffs.

If anything that sort of tactic will deter them from joining us.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:33am
Yeah, I'm a huge Joe fan but the idea he should be in or near the Senior squad now is nonsense.
The highest level he has played at are U19 international and Club U18.

He turns 18 this month and may go on loan this season.
If he does and impresses, then he should be on the radar but even so, would be a huge step up.

Let's see how he gets on at U21 level in the 3 remaining games but all going well, by this time next year he may have a higher profile after some men's football and look somewhat ready for a call-up but a long way to go.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:40am

Yeah, I'm a huge Joe fan but the idea he should be in or near the Senior squad now is nonsense.
The highest level he has played at are U19 international and Club U18.

He turns 18 this month and may go on loan this season.
If he does and impresses, then he should be on the radar but even so, would be a huge step up.

Let's see how he gets on at U21 level in the 3 remaining games but all going well, by this time next year he may have a higher profile after some men's football and look somewhat ready for a call-up but a long way to go.
yeah and his head will be turned by that stage.if he was at any other club he would already be in and around the first team. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

yeah and his head will be turned by that stage.if he was at any other club he would already be in and around the first team. 

I'm not ignoring the Rice-factor here.
But the fact remains the lad is still a child and has yet to play men's football anywhere.

As we've seen, these NL games are not easy.
He needs to get playing games for a club somewhere and I am hoping he goes out on loan when he turns 18.
If he does, and does well, then he moves up in the pecking order.

Posted By: IrishCanadian
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:22am

I'm not ignoring the Rice-factor here.
But the fact remains the lad is still a child and has yet to play men's football anywhere.

As we've seen, these NL games are not easy.
He needs to get playing games for a club somewhere and I am hoping he goes out on loan when he turns 18.
If he does, and does well, then he moves up in the pecking order.

Why does he need to play games for a club somewhere? Any club he plays for will likely be better than us so why does he have to play for a better team to play for us? 

NL games aren’t easy and we sit tied for last. Funnily though Wales are in first and what players have they used? Oh right they just started Dylan Levitt who only has one first team appearance at club level. And he’s just to go along with the several others who made their Wales debut before club. Don’t give some sh*t about the NL games aren’t easy when the team winning our group is doing the very thing your against. 

He’s also not going on loan. No top club loans out second year scholars. He’ll be playing u23s this season. 

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:55am
Dylan Levitt is almost two years older than Joe Hodge though so I don't think that's a fair comparison.
Two years is a lot at his age.

I'm completely in favour of capping young lads if they are ready for it.
Smallbone I'd have had in the senior squad and capped in one of the two games.

But almost 18-year old Joe Hodge is simply not ready, much as we would love him to be.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:28pm
I'm with Citizen on this one. I think we should be calling up our most promising youngsters in the younger age groups, if they are that talented, get them in early. 
Whether they are dual players or not, I think there is a case for saying, central midfield and striker are two of our most 'missing' areas of quality in our squad. The older players can fill a gap but why not also have included your most promising centre midfielder (e.g. Hodge) or striker (e.g. Troy) and get them in before they have made the break through at their clubs (its much more difficult to break in at Spurs or City). 

Wales have done this brilliantly. They do have a good crop coming through but they have also propelled them rather than waiting around for them to happen at their clubs. Been saying this for a few years now but I think it's a great example to follow. 

It doesn't have to be total rely on youngers but you could make the case that someone like Hodge takes the place of Alan Browne and Troy takes the place of Maguire.

I for one would like to see more of that.

Add in the dual factor for Hodge and people like Smallbone, getting them capped earlier also helps to avoid a Rice situation or makes them make the call earlier rather stringing us on and eventually going to England

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:33pm
Exactly. Robbie was called in early as eas Liam brady.   Talent is obvious at.times and If the manager sees talent get them into the squad.  

Kenny did that with u21s   He promoted people beyond their which didnt happen with Noel King.   

He will do the same I think with Seniors.  The playoffs are not the time for it but maybe the nations league games in November 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Exactly. Robbie was called in early as eas Liam brady.   Talent is obvious at.times and If the manager sees talent get them into the squad.  

Kenny did that with u21s   He promoted people beyond their which didnt happen with Noel King.   

He will do the same I think with Seniors.  The playoffs are not the time for it but maybe the nations league games in November 

Giles too 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Talent is obvious at.times and If the manager sees talent get them into the squad.  

How can you judge someone who hasn't even played at reserve level for his club yet.

I know Kenny's already seen him him at U17 level but the lads barely grown pubes and people are asking him to call him up. Let him develop! 

ROI section has been mad over the weekend but this is making me mald.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:29pm
So, serious point here: we have really struggled in midfield since Roy Keane retired. We had consecutive generations of true great midfielders in Roy Keane, Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath (pre-cb), Liam Brady, Jonny Giles, and a supportive cast of many brilliant players like Andy Townsend, Matt Holland...

We’ve never replaced Roy. In the last 15 years we’ve never found an international standard player who can be the backbone of our midfield. 

I AM NOT saying that Joe Hodge is that player, but we need to do something strategically to ensure that we are filling our midfield pipeline. We need to cast the net and do whatever we can to help our players reach their potential. No option should be off the table.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:43pm
I mostly agree with these sentiments and I reckon Troy will be in every squad going forward that he is fit for, despite not having done anything in men's football yet.
This is evidence of Kenny's approach and Hodge was called into the 21's camp at 17, so things are changing rapidly.

Joe is a step behind Troy though and has not even ever played above U19 level.
We have three U21 games left this year and every chance we will see him there.

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:55pm
One of our most exciting youngsters off to Derry on loan. Great news for ensuring he stays with us too

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

One of our most exciting youngsters off to Derry on loan. Great news for ensuring he stays with us too
Moved your post here to the existing Joe Hodge thread.

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Whoops, couldn't find it. Thumbs Up

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:35pm
This is great news.

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:39pm
He was the standout played in both the u17 and u19 championships two years ago. Would be a great signing for the muckers. Hope he does well wherever he does end up but f**k DerryLOL

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:45pm
Brilliant news. Worth sharing this again:

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/joe-hodge-shane-keegan-1082244" rel="nofollow - https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/joe-hodge-shane-keegan-1082244

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:52pm

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Whoops, couldn't find it. Thumbs Up
Yeah the search function is sh*te on here. I usually just use google to search eg “ybig Joe Hodge”

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:02am
Did Pep think its Derby? 

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:02am
You would think it would better our chances to hold onto him. Exciting news alright 

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:12am
Lets get him into a safe house in the Bogside now and make sure he never even thinks about playing for England 

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 2:07am
holy feck... some coup for derry and the league!! seems a very strange one... seems very ambitious if derry approached man city, anyone know how this move would have come together?

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 2:54am
Apparently Waterford are interested too and really hope he comes here 

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:42am
Why would City or himself want him at Derry or Waterford, I can’t really get my head around it. 
If a move to the LOI is in the cards, my money would be on a Dublin club or Dundalk 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:42am
A season playing for Derry and a year living in the Shantallow estate - no going back for Joe now!

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:44am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Why would City or himself want him at Derry or Waterford, I can’t really get my head around it. 
If a move to the LOI is in the cards, my money would be on a Dublin club or Dundalk 

Agree, don’t get it at all tbh

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:50am

Agree, don’t get it at all tbh

Could it be Brexit related, perhaps less red tape going to Derry rather than a club in the EU 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:02am
I was thinking it could be Brexit related too, as it is not 1 April so it is the most reasonable explanation!!

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:07am
Or maybe it's a club where he'll get his game, won't be bailed out by his teammates as easily making a mistake as he would at the others, will be able to influence the game more etc 

Will be playing against the better teams in the league as well, will learn more there than he would at better teams.

Don't see how being in Dublin or Derry is any different to him. 

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:17am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Or maybe it's a club where he'll get his game, won't be bailed out by his teammates as easily making a mistake as he would at the others, will be able to influence the game more etc 

Will be playing against the better teams in the league as well, will learn more there than he would at better teams.

Playing better football, training with better players and potentially in Europe. Ya can look at it both ways. 
I’d be very surprised if Rovers weren’t chasing him at the minute 

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:24am
Has there been any previous examples of a promising youth from a top club being loaned to LoI before this?

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:48am

Don't see how being in Dublin or Derry is any different to him

Indeed. Because he's not remotely Irish. 

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:51am

Has there been any previous examples of a promising youth from a top club being loaned to LoI before this?

Can't remember one. Does this mean City think his ceiling is lower than we hoped or do the want the finishing touches of the rough and tumble of senior ball in him already  ?   Hard to know.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Can't remember one. Does this mean City think his ceiling is lower than we hoped or do the want the finishing touches of the rough and tumble of senior ball in him already  ?   Hard to know.
He won academy player of the year last year so I’d imagine it’s the latter 

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:57am

Playing better football, training with better players and potentially in Europe. Ya can look at it both ways. 
I’d be very surprised if Rovers weren’t chasing him at the minute 

True, but he's training with far, far superior players now than he would be there, so personally wouldn't think of that as a major factor. I reckon it makes more sense than Rovers for him but can see the other side. 

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:58am

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

He won academy player of the year last year so I’d imagine it’s the latter 

He won scholar of the year, which is as much to do with scholarly endeavors as it is football, but I also think it's the latter. 

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 10:10am

Liverpool's John Paul Kelly to Bohemians?

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Liverpool's John Paul Kelly to Bohemians?

Seems he was in the Liverpool academy and returned to Ireland, as opposed to got loaned back.

Posted By: exgrad
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 11:10am
Olowu, Arsenal to Cork City last season.

Posted By: Sideline
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 1:09pm
He is a great prospect and now we can see his progression at first hand in our league. 

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 2:23pm
Or the Czech keeper signed by Pats today on loan from Liverpool.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:22pm

Fergal Harkin involved with City apparently. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Thats right, think he has the title "Loans Manager". Good to have a Donegal man close to Joe to guide him in the right direction. Fergal played with Harps and Bohs

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:48pm
smashing lad fergal, decent baller tooClap

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Thats right, think he has the title "Loans Manager". Good to have a Donegal man close to Joe to guide him in the right direction. Fergal played with Harps and Bohs
Well he’s already made the first poor choice in guiding him to the dog track.Wink

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:34am

Graham Carey to Bohs?

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:43am
He might be the new Jack Byrne. 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 10:24pm
Article written by the same person who said that Robbie Keane was going to be the next LA Galaxy manager. And the same person who categorically said that Jack Grealish and Declan Rice would not switch allegiances to England.

In other words, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 2:35pm
6 month loan for him to the dog track 

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

6 month loan for him to the dog track 

Great stuff.
He'll be more Irish by the day Big smile

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 2:41pm
https://www.derrycityfc.net/2021/02/man-city-starlet-hodge-joins-on-loan/" rel="nofollow - https://www.derrycityfc.net/2021/02/man-city-starlet-hodge-joins-on-loan/

Clap

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://www.derrycityfc.net/2021/02/man-city-starlet-hodge-joins-on-loan/" rel="nofollow - https://www.derrycityfc.net/2021/02/man-city-starlet-hodge-joins-on-loan/

Clap

Fantastic news. Aside from having the kid play in the LOI, it will be great for his development to be regularly starting (hopefully) around experienced players.

-------------

Posted By: Cabs88
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 4:10pm
I’d say he can’t wait to make his league debut in the wonderful Bishopsgate. 

-------------
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 5:16pm
Having grown up near Derry I can only pity Hodge for what he is letting himself in for, Derry FC fans are not the most enchanting vessels of Irish charm in the land to win anyone over.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Having grown up near Derry I can only pity Hodge for what he is letting himself in for, Derry FC fans are not the most enchanting vessels of Irish charm in the land to win anyone over.

You definitely don't come across like somebody from the North of Ireland

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:30pm
I'm from Donegal so the truest north!

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Enchanting vessels🤔how was the boarding school?

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 7:09pm
Hodging his bets.

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 9:02pm
Something of a hodgepodge of opinion here. I think he'll be great at Derry and should even learn a trick or two from Paddy McCourt, the Derry Pele, who very nearly ended up at Man City in his youth when he was playing for Rochdale.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 9:08pm
I like this move for several reasons.
Obviously it brings a quality player to the LoI, one for whom we have high hopes of making it all the way into our seniors.
But it can also showcase the LoI as a destination for young players.
The league has become more technical and (it seems to me) younger in age-profile.  I doubt ManC would send a talent over to get battered up an down the park (although I suspect Hodge can take care of himself) so it's an endorsement to my eyes.

I'd also like to think Hodge himself had some say in the matter which, if true, is very reassuring for where his future lies.

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 3:00pm
The Derry loan has been ended, with the loan-period up at the mid-season break anyway or thereabouts and he's still not fit.
Pity we didn't get to see him play so let's see where he goes in the new season.

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 3:12pm
Shambles...

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:37pm
Joe Hodge is a player that crossed my mind posting here today. Another promising midfielder. I don’t know too much about him only was due to go on loan at Derry (disaster he didn’t get rolling there) he’s highly rated at City and in Irish circles and Kenny has stated he would be a bigger loss then Rice or Grealish.

Do people think he can go very far? 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net