You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Hodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 40>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

I think the guy may well have refused a cap tie & wants to wait & see & the situation is being managed. If he's playing any bit regularly between now & Latvia and still isn't selected, that's 100% what's going on. 

How have you deduced all of this? Kenny said he sees him staying with the 21s and the lad has said he wants a senior call up in the last month or so. Whether one or both of them is lying or not I don't know but neither aligns with what you have set out. 
Sponsored Links

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

I think the guy may well have refused a cap tie & wants to wait & see & the situation is being managed. If he's playing any bit regularly between now & Latvia and still isn't selected, that's 100% what's going on. 

How have you deduced all of this? Kenny said he sees him staying with the 21s and the lad has said he wants a senior call up in the last month or so. Whether one or both of them is lying or not I don't know but neither aligns with what you have set out. 

He said she said yadda yadda 
Grealish collected our 21s POTY
Rice said he hoped to be called up too.

This guy has one Irish grandmother, he's English & if that's on the table, he'll lean towards it, naturally. And if he's playing Prem it will be on the table & could already be. 

Kenny saying that only makes sense one way, the way I'm seeing it.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 3:31pm
Yeah great future competing with Bellingham. Saw his interview a while back. This lad said he is all in on Ireland. He learned the anthem and he said a lot of things that told me he would not turn the other way afterwards. Makes a massive mistake there as I type :D
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Yeah great future competing with Bellingham. Saw his interview a while back. This lad said he is all in on Ireland. He learned the anthem and he said a lot of things that told me he would not turn the other way afterwards. Makes a massive mistake there as I type :D

Look forget all that emotive stuff (was gonna say rubbish but don’t want to be rude to you as I agree). all we can do is look after our own house and reality is Hodge is our player until he indicates otherwise! He should have been in the last squad even if he didn’t see gametime like Smallbone give him his introduction! He’s a “senior squad member” now! If England wanted him all they have to do is say “we will build an U21 team around you your only at that level for Ireland anyways”

We haven’t taken the appropriate steps to secure our most talented young CM we have got in our ranks and he breaking into a competitive Wolves midfield instead opting to pick a load of average 2nd tier CMs happy out in their comfort zone in the Championship for a friendly they have no interest in anyways! That’s the issue here not what Hodge might or mightn’t do! This is not hard is it!

Edited by kevin100 - 26 Dec 2022 at 3:49pm
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:05pm
Sounds like he is struggling today. Tough game to make your first league start in.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

& watch SK opt for jazzy Jeff and derby county supremo Conor Hourihane for a friendly v Latvia. Christ.
Bit unfair to have a go at Kenny over this. We don't know why he wasn't in the squad. Kenny is the type to keep it in house if Hodge said he wanted to focus on breaking in to the Wolves team; he's not going to publicly call the player out over it like his predecessors would. And it's worth noting that Kenny specifically said he wasn't going to drag his feet over these players in terms of selecting them... 

Feel it's a no win situation for Kenny really.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Look forget all that emotive stuff (was gonna say rubbish but don’t want to be rude to you as I agree). all we can do is look after our own house and reality is Hodge is our player until he indicates otherwise! He should have been in the last squad even if he didn’t see gametime like Smallbone give him his introduction! He’s a “senior squad member” now! If England wanted him all they have to do is say “we will build an U21 team around you your only at that level for Ireland anyways”

We haven’t taken the appropriate steps to secure our most talented young CM we have got in our ranks and he breaking into a competitive Wolves midfield instead opting to pick a load of average 2nd tier CMs happy out in their comfort zone in the Championship for a friendly they have no interest in anyways! That’s the issue here not what Hodge might or mightn’t do! This is not hard is it!
I generally would disregard that stuff too but the intervuew was literally talking about what we are talking about. Would also add he rejected England underage to come play for us and made a switch that alot in England camp were not happy with. 

I think we should be far more aware of age profile and talent ceiling when picking squads. I have gone off Kenny very quickly because of his squad selections. Bringing in random league one players who we know will never be players or lads nearing being over the hill and already poor. Smallbone and Hodge shoukd be in the next squad. Otherwise what is the point of Kenny? He gets cut alot of slack for us being clearly in a transition but I have been questioning what exactly we are transitiining too in a recent squads. Looking at the bench in frustration as a few of them are nothing players going nowhere. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:13pm
Mandroiu was near the squad last time..  so anyone telling me Hodge and Smallbone arent ready can take a stroll. Get these lads in the squad and comfy cap them in the games against Gibraltar etc even in friendlies.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:20pm

I generally would disregard that stuff too but the intervuew was literally talking about what we are talking about. Would also add he rejected England underage to come play for us and made a switch that alot in England camp were not happy with. 

I think we should be far more aware of age profile and talent ceiling when picking squads. I have gone off Kenny very quickly because of his squad selections. Bringing in random league one players who we know will never be players or lads nearing being over the hill and already poor. Smallbone and Hodge shoukd be in the next squad. Otherwise what is the point of Kenny? He gets cut alot of slack for us being clearly in a transition but I have been questioning what exactly we are transitiining too in a recent squads. Looking at the bench in frustration as a few of them are nothing players going nowhere. 
You'd swear Hodge hasn't played for England before.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

And Ireland  and then switched and not for lack of game time. He was their highest regarded mid at the time in that age group and playing in the best academy. Made the decision then he wanted to rep Ireland. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:34pm
Subbed by Wolves on 59 mins.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Sounds like he is struggling today. Tough game to make your first league start in.

It's never going to be easy for a young lad in a struggling side. That midfield set up wasn't going to help him as Neves, Moutinho and Hodge are variations on the same type of midfielder against a mobile and energetic everton midfield. I don't think he was bad really given the pressure of the game. Good that Lopetegui trusts him.

Collins though is really testing my patience. Confused
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 5:15pm

And Ireland  and then switched and not for lack of game time. He was their highest regarded mid at the time in that age group and playing in the best academy. Made the decision then he wanted to rep Ireland. 
I can't vouch for any of that, although I doubt it, but it's non-binding until senior level and no amount of clutching the crest and saying "up the ra" like Declan Rice changes that.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 5:21pm
Have a feeling I researched this before, but Hodge averaged 37 minutes a game for England before switching to Ireland and playing every minute over roughly the same number of games. So it looks like the switch was for a lack of minutes and he wasn't as indispensable for England as you said, Nialler.

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 5:34pm

Have a feeling I researched this before, but Hodge averaged 37 minutes a game for England before switching to Ireland and playing every minute over roughly the same number of games. So it looks like the switch was for a lack of minutes and he wasn't as indispensable for England as you said, Nialler.

He was playing age groups ahead. Look at the English forums. They were not happy campers at the time. His old fella played a big part in the decision too.

He will be an Ireland interntional I am 100% certain  on that.  Not really sure why as a nation we go bananas on duel players either way. The other thing bothering me is not capatalising on them properly. They dont have to start just get them some minutes and build a big pool. Not rocket science. Ojce you are making tournaments players are far more likely to declare. Not gonna sl*g a lad who is brliant underage for us because he lined out for england u derage. Pointless to do so. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 5:42pm

He was playing age groups ahead. Look at the English forums. They were not happy campers at the time. His old fella played a big part in the decision too.

He will be an Ireland interntional I am 100% certain  on that.  Not really sure why as a nation we go bananas on duel players either way. The other thing bothering me is not capatalising on them properly. They dont have to start just get them some minutes and build a big pool. Not rocket science. Ojce you are making tournaments players are far more likely to declare. Not gonna sl*g a lad who is brliant underage for us because he lined out for england u derage. Pointless to do so. 
Given how influential Grealish and Rice's fathers were in stage managing their son's international careers, I'm not sure that's the net positive you think it is.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 5:43pm
I didn't say it was a positive just noting it was said at the time he switched
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 6:11pm
Great to see Hodge still getting minutes under the new manager, even if it's partly down to Wolves struggling at the moment.

Would expect them to sign at least 1 CM next month (Ronan is definitely leaving), so that would probably push Hodge down the pecking order a bit.

As for being worried about him switching, he has an enormous amount of competition in the England setup.
Just in their seniors alone: Bellingham (19), Rice (23), Mount (23), Gallagher (22) have their midfield pretty much locked down for probably the next 8-10 years.

Then you look at their U21s (2000-2001 group) this past campaign:
Skipp (Spurs)
Jones (Liverpool)
Elliott (Liverpool)
Gibbs-White (Forest)
Garner (Everton)
Ramsey (Villa)
Doyle (Man City on loan at Sheff Utd)
McAtee (Man City on loan at Sheff Utd)
Smith-Rowe (Arsenal)

Even their U20s (Hodge's age group, 02-03):
Morton (starter at Blackburn, on loan from Liverpool)
Patino (starter at Blackpool, on loan from Arsenal)
Iroegbunam (starter at QPR, on loan from Villa)
Chukwuemeka (22 PL apps across Villa & Chelsea)

I'm sure Hodge will get capped vs Latvia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 40>
  Share Topic