You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions league 20/21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 60>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He was very inconsistent last season, had plenty of poor performances 
One at Old Trafford just before lockdown springs to mind. 
Since football resumed in July and into this season he’s looked to be at a different level. Maybe it’s a maturity thing, maybe he’s learned, maybe he’s even, dare I say it, been handled well by his manager, putting him in and out of the team as he sees fit to learn and get better. 

He wasn’t in the team every week at the start of this season and is now finishing the season strongly
Maybe his manager knew how to time it so he wasn’t burned out and flat come April/May

I reiterate my belief, all things considered PG couldn’t have handled his career much better thus far 

he’s physically better aswell....he’s got stronger and faster and that’s also played a huge part in the upturn in his form.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Does that mean you don't think he was good enough to justify far more game time than he actually got?

A simple "Yes" or "No" will suffice.

He could have more appearances yes for sure

But then again so could Mahrez, Sterling, Jesus, Bernardo.....
They’ve all had spells on the bench when they’ve looked flat, in inconsistent form and needed rested 

A simple question for you. Do you think Guardiola has managed Foden well?
A simple yes or no will do. For the love of god no Wikipedia links going away off the side of my screen. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:31am
It’s a very open champions league - any one of the 4 teams can realistically win it. 

It’s a great chance for Man City to win it but all the other teams will be saying the same.
City to win the quadruple 11/2 Shocked

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:34am

Since football resumed in July and into this season he’s looked to be at a different level. Maybe it’s a maturity thing, maybe he’s learned, maybe he’s even, dare I say it, been handled well by his manager, putting him in and out of the team as he sees fit to learn and get better. 

He wasn’t in the team every week at the start of this season and is now finishing the season strongly
Maybe his manager knew how to time it so he wasn’t burned out and flat come April/May

I reiterate my belief, all things considered PG couldn’t have handled his career much better thus far 

I'd trust Terri over Guardiola on this one LOL
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

It’s a very open champions league - any one of the 4 teams can realistically win it. 

It’s a great chance for Man City to win it but all the other teams will be saying the same.

After my 1 out 4 predictions to get to the semis, I'll pass on predicting the winner. All four teams have a good chance. Chelsea's habit of constantly sacking their managers and then getting a winning tune unexpectedly out of one of them could work again here. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 10:02am
Real Madrid Have somehow ended up in the Champions League Semi final and are second in the league, a point off top spot. They’ve been fairly ordinary all season and I don’t think their squad is particularly strong.

I hate them.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 10:54am

Does that mean you don't think he was good enough to justify far more game time than he actually got?

They’ve all had spells on the bench when they’ve looked flat, in inconsistent form and needed rested 

A simple yes or no will do. For the love of god no Wikipedia links going away off the side of my screen. 
He could - and should - have made more appearances last season.

I mean, other prodigies like eg Rooney, Owen, Whiteside, Gascoigne, Haaland or Mbappe were never held back by their manager. Even eg Jack Grealish benefited from regular game time as a teenager - and that was in a poor enough Villa team in the Championship.

As for PG's handling of PF, of course he hasn't handled him badly. Then again, a talent like his could was always going to flourish even had he started out at a much lower level - see eg Shankly pushing Kevin Keegan straight into the Liverpool 1st team after he signed him from S****horpe.

But my point remains, by signing a six year contract(!), Foden had no leverage to demand either more starts with City, or a loan to a top side elsewhere, meaning that Guardiola was able to use or not use him exactly as he (PG) liked.

Which was most notable last season, when with David Villa finally gone, City were average and they could easily have coped with the odd below par performance from Foden, while he gained the experience every youngster needs to iron out inconsistencies.

But I can see that there is no way you are ever going to countenance any criticism of Guardiola, so I'll leave it at that.

At least until you make the next dig...LOL

Edited by Territorial - 15 Apr 2021 at 10:56am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 10:58am

He could - and should - have made more appearances last season.

I mean, other prodigies like eg Rooney, Owen, Whiteside, Gascoigne, Haaland or Mbappe were never held back by their manager. Even eg Jack Grealish benefited from regular game time as a teenager - and that was in a poor enough Villa team in the Championship.

As for PG's handling of PF, of course he hasn't handled him badly. Then again, a talent like his could was always going to flourish even had he started out at a much lower level - see eg Shankly pushing Kevin Keegan straight into the Liverpool 1st team after he signed him from S****horpe.

But my point remains, by signing a six year contract(!), Foden had no leverage to demand either more starts with City, or a loan to a top side elsewhere, meaning that Guardiola was able to use or not use him exactly as he (PG) liked.

Which was most notable last season, when with David Villa finally gone, City were average and they could easily have coped with the odd below par performance from Foden, while he gained the experience every youngster needs to iron out inconsistencies.

But I can see that there is no way you are ever going to countenance any criticism of Guardiola, so I'll leave it at that.

At least until you make the next dig...LOL

As Guardiola has done with the majority of his players
Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Sane, Silva, Gundogan....etc 
Why would Foden be any different?

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 15 Apr 2021 at 10:58am
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:08am
Does Terri's argument not conveniently dismiss the fact that David Silva was still at the club last season? With less competition in the way Foden was always likely to get more game time this season and so it has proved. I'd say Guardiola has managed him pretty perfectly up to this point to be honest.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Does Terri's argument not conveniently dismiss the fact that David Silva was still at the club last season? With less competition in the way Foden was always likely to get more game time this season and so it has proved. I'd say Guardiola has managed him pretty perfectly up to this point to be honest.

Thats the general consensus 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Silva was 34 and it was known he would be leaving. Now had City been involved in a neck-and-neck race for the title with Liverpool like they had the previous season, then yes, it would have made sense to have preferred Silva over Foden for his greater experience and consistency.

But the fact is they weren't, neither were they in any danger of failing to qualify for the CL, making it the perfect opportunity to blood Foden some more than the paltry 13 PL starts (incl just 4 complete 90 minute games) which Guardiola allowed him.

After all, nobody's holding back eg Haaland or Bellingham, and Foden is every bit as talented as they are.

Edited by Territorial - 15 Apr 2021 at 11:18am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:40am

As Guardiola has done with the majority of his players
Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Sane, Silva, Gundogan....etc 
Why would Foden be any different?
Because the others have all already got ample experience under their belt, so can cope easier with being brought back in eg for a must-win game.

Whereas the crucial difference between a good young player and a good older player is invariably  consistency.

And you can have all the coaching sessions or minor games you like, but that only comes with solid game time on the big occasions.

Which was proven by (ahem) Raheem Sterling, who made 36 appearances for Liverpool in season 2012/13, when he was 17, going on 18 (also his England debut).
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:45am
Terri, are ya saying Pep was wrong not to send him on loan to Rotherham?
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:47am

I think the amount of games will catch up with city sooner or later.....and that’s not good against the likes of psg were games are 100 miles an hour and concentration has to be high.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Terri, are ya saying Pep was wrong not to send him on loan to Rotherham?

Yeah, something like that... Wacko
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

I think the amount of games will catch up with city sooner or later.....and that’s not good against the likes of psg were games are 100 miles an hour and concentration has to be high.

City have the league won so at least they have the opportunity to rest players. They can easily play the kids v Aston Villa and concrete on the big games coming up

Sat: Chelsea FA cup semi 
Wed: AV
Sun: Spurs LCF
Wed:  PSG 

PSG are chasing the league so they don’t have that luxury. 

I’d be happy if Pep rests players in the league cup final 

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 12:32pm
Terri would you give the f**k over, you were wrong! Move the f**k on. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Terri would you give the f**k over, you were wrong! Move the f**k on. 

Actually, it's Baggio who keeps bringing it up (see eg yesterday evening's post: "Foden running to celebrate his winning goal with Pep, the man who ruined his career by not loaning him to Rotherham two years ago to get 46 games in the Championship")

But don't let that get in the way...LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 60>
  Share Topic